Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kheldarn posted:

So Tiny Tower?

That would do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just wait for Animal Crossing.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I think RCT Classic runs better on my pixel than it did on my computer back in the day

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Texibus posted:

She'll have Internet, they just don't want her to friend all these strange people to work her farms because she's just not savvy enough to not give out personal information.

So to answer the question, it's the interaction with the other players they're trying to limit.

That's really sad, and it's cool that you're trying to help her out by finding an alternative.

I've never played Farmville, but some quick searching for "Farmville scams" makes it look like they are mostly related to how closely Farmville is tied into Facebook (pretty typical for Zynga, I think). Apparently you do a lot of requesting poo poo and stuff through liking or visiting Facebook pages? I imagine shady Facebook pages could look quite legitimate to a non-tech savvy person.

Maybe try just unlinking her Facebook, if that's the root cause? No idea if that'd effectively gut the game, though.

Supercell (maker of Clash of Clans) has a farm-themed game which I can only assume was an attempt at grabbing Farmville users. It's called Hay Day. I've never played it, but I can tell you that linking your Facebook is not required and does basically nothing in Clash of Clans, so it may be similar for Hay Day. Also, in Clash of Clans, you literally cannot communicate with other players unless you join a clan, and even then it's just clan-wide chat (no private messages as far as I know).

Maybe check out Hay Day?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Texibus posted:

Hey guys need a recommendation for my 70 year old grandma. The lady loving loves farmville...loves it. Unfortunately recently my grandmother has been cut off by the family because she keeps getting sacked into phishing scams. I'm wondering if there is anything out there that is like that game but offline. Unfortunately all I know about the game is you set up a farm, people visit it and do chores.

Any help would loving put me in your debt. Also here is a wiki article about the game.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FarmVille

I played DragonVale World for awhile. It had that FarmVille vibe; micromanage a park to raise dragons. The dragons constantly make you money, you spend money on crops (30 second - 24 hour grow time), feed dragons the crops to have them make more money, ad nauseum. The game is online, but I didn't have to interact with other players. It does have in app purchases, if that was also a concern.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

incogneato posted:

Maybe check out Hay Day?

Seconding this. Hay Day is all about the timers. It does have facebook integration though, from what I remember.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

PathAsc posted:

If any more goons want in the Dawn of Titans guild pm me here or in game. Same name as I have here. Come watch a giant Titan step on people.

Please add me under Donaga.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Darth Llama posted:

Please add me under Donaga.

Sent you an invite.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

NPR Journalizard posted:

Seconding this. Hay Day is all about the timers. It does have facebook integration though, from what I remember.

There are a bunch of timer/builder games in the Hay Day formula, but I don't remember names of any other ones. The two I played in this "genre" had some user interaction though. Hay Day eventually unlocks a guild system where you can compete in league challenges and sell/swap items to each other. This might be bad for Grandma Goon because your guild has an integrated chat room: it probably isn't as easy to scam someone on there as it is on Facebook, but the possibility exists. I suppose OP or another family member could play the game with grandma and join the same guild or make their own to ensure sure she doesn't get into trouble.

I second maybe trying to get her into a game from a slightly similar genre like Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing or anything with building/farming and timers, even something like Clash of Clans. These suggestions aren't exactly the same of course, but if grandma is having gamer withdrawal I'm sure she will at least give other games a try. Heck they could take this opportunity to load up her computer or tablet with some games of many genres, as you never know what someone might like.

OP should also look into parental controls. I haven't ever used them but I know Facebook, iOS/Android, and some browsers offer them. This would be something the family would have to check up on periodically, but it's probably better than having to deal with her getting phished all the time. They should also make sure that every browser of hers has adblock and malicious site blockers installed and configured.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 31, 2016

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So this was posted a while back inbetween gumball discussion and I figured I'd give it a shout-out since I've been playing this game for a while and I'm enjoying it. Valkyrie Connect (also available for iOS) is one of those team-building games where you make teams of 5 and then PVP, do boss battles, go through scenarios, and do other events with them. Some people have likened it to Summoners War although I haven't really played that game so I can't compare. (It's newer so it has less content, but people praise it for being f2p friendly and being less RNG than SW is.)

It is a bit anime but then you get stuff like christmas tree bosses for the holidays:

It is pretty f2p friendly. Within the past 3 weeks I've probably gotten like 30k free diamonds. This dries up after a while of course but if you are patient, once you have a particular hero you can rank them up by doing things called hero quests. You get a free premium summon once every 30h and you can get diamonds for your pvp ranking each night. You can auto-play missions by using quick tickets or you can spend all day doing coop bosses if you'd like. There's an SA guild named SÖMTHINGSMÖRBOLL (you can search for it without the special characters, don't worry).

I know goons are pretty hot/cold on these types of games but I have been enjoying this one quite a lot. :)

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I had a look at Valk connect and quite like it, do we have a thread?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Not yet. I was going to make a short and sweet one, but it's turning out to be more in depth than I had intended.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry if this has been posted but this is a massive thread. I started playing Fantasy War Tactics after it was recommended in a previous/other thread. I searched guilds for GoonSquad and it appears there is one.

Any of y'all still play that? I just asked to join.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

There's a thread for FWT. And the goon guilds are not named "goon squad".

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

There's a thread for FWT. And the goon guilds are not named "goon squad".

Thank you!

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I'm a sucker for these kinds of games, so going to try it out. I'll be applying to the guild as roid .

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Roid666 posted:

I'm a sucker for these kinds of games, so going to try it out. I'll be applying to the guild as roid .

Also applied as Winter

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Roid666 posted:

I gave is a whirl and I'm missing 3 hours. It's good fun and the artwork is nice. It doesn't hurt that I got pretty lucky with pulls either.
I applied as Ratzap.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Ratzap posted:

I gave is a whirl and I'm missing 3 hours. It's good fun and the artwork is nice. It doesn't hurt that I got pretty lucky with pulls either.
I applied as Ratzap.

I too have applied, but as CoffeeAmin.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mentioning it in this thread since I've talked about Fairune a bunch in this thread previously, but the sequel which is 3DS-only at the moment is on sale for $5.99 and it's really, really good.

Really, really good.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Clocks posted:

SÖMTHINGSMÖRBOLL :words:

Guess I should mention I applied as Unhappymeal. Since I too love finding out the backstories of my dumb anime characters.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I applied to the Valkyrie guild too, as Sarmhan

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I thought no one was playing it, so I quit playing it too, but I came back to almost 5k diamonds in my inbox due to arena ranking rewards, so that's nice.

I also applied to the VC guild, as Rafza.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Potsticker posted:

Mentioning it in this thread since I've talked about Fairune a bunch in this thread previously, but the sequel which is 3DS-only at the moment is on sale for $5.99 and it's really, really good.

Really, really good.

Can you link it? I can't find it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

Can you link it? I can't find it.

Fairune 1 on Android or Fairune 2 on 3DS? Well, here's them both! Bonus link the Original Fairune which was a webgame.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 3, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oh I thought you meant Fairune 2 was on Android and on sale. I misunderstood

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Made a thread for Valkyrie Connect.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803973&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

It's not super complete, but there are links to the official forum and a reddit wiki that has a lot of the ins and outs covered.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

Oh I thought you meant Fairune 2 was on Android and on sale. I misunderstood

Sadly it's not on Android yet. I'm not sure if it _is_ coming to Android. Nothing I've read on Skipmore's twitter has said anything about an Android version, sadly.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Mega Mans 1 to 6 are out for Android for $2 a pop. They are apparently not good ports.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mrkillboy posted:

Mega Mans 1 to 6 are out for Android for $2 a pop. They are apparently not good ports.

They are ports of ports of old feature phone versions of Mega Mans.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
They look like slow motion Game Boy Color games, seriously could they not even make an attempt to fix the fact that it runs at like 5 fps?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is a drat shame, because I was really looking forward to these. Add in an 8bitdo controller, and you'd be all set.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

mrkillboy posted:

This might be the worst garbage I've ever seen in terms of ports.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gyshall posted:

This might be the worst garbage I've ever seen in terms of ports.

Oh, friend... do I have a treat for you:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PortsCenterTV

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I'm trying out Gumballs and promptly got stuck in the first dungeon that wasn't just "tap everything, decend, x10, win". I squeaked through the first dungeon in the 3rd set (forest/town/whatever is #3) but I'm not looking forward to the next one.

I've got Adventurer, Swordsman and Spy. Really have no idea what I'm supposed to be upgrading to make it easier, since you start from scratch at each dungeon.

The "newbie" guide video shows you what to do when you've maxed out your tree...

Out of curiosity, how far in is mercenary camp and airship? A lot of the codes are locked behind those two points.

kirrer
Sep 2, 2004
Guy from Ann Arbor
Whoops, I posted my crappy game in the wrong thread. What do you think?

Brain Feast

Brain Feast on the Google Play store

The zombie needs to eat all the brains! But he only wants to eat YOU! He'll chase your finger around the screen forever, until he catches you. Get him to chase you and eat as many brains as possible. Rack up a streak by keeping him close, and brains become worth more points - but the game also gets more challenging. See if you can beat the high score!

I realize it's no Pokemon Go, just a side project I've been running to learn basic Android programming. If you think it sucks, then you're wrong, but let me know - it's better to hear that then continually tell myself how awesome I am.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Does anyone have any "Set up for a few minutes, then wait hours while stuff happens" game? I've been playing Avengers Academy for a while and liked even if it's a little quirky, but it's pretty much the same all the time so I've stopped caring much.

Any builder games, or quest based or whatever, where you can play for a few minutes at a time and come back to some meaningful progression would be nice. Also at least decent production value would be nice. Any recommendations?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Harik posted:

I'm trying out Gumballs and promptly got stuck in the first dungeon that wasn't just "tap everything, decend, x10, win". I squeaked through the first dungeon in the 3rd set (forest/town/whatever is #3) but I'm not looking forward to the next one.

I've got Adventurer, Swordsman and Spy. Really have no idea what I'm supposed to be upgrading to make it easier, since you start from scratch at each dungeon.

The "newbie" guide video shows you what to do when you've maxed out your tree...

Out of curiosity, how far in is mercenary camp and airship? A lot of the codes are locked behind those two points.

Thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803224

For story missions, go for legendary hunter (venture title). Every 5 actions it shoots an arrow, so you can really cheese the missions. It scales poorly for endless runs though.

Mercenary camp isn't very far into the levels. The airship takes awhile. Once it's unlocked, you need 500,000 gold and 15 gumballs to repair it so you can actually do anything with it. The 15 gumball requirement took me a good bit longer than the gold or initially unlocking the ship.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Enigma posted:

Thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803224

For story missions, go for legendary hunter (venture title). Every 5 actions it shoots an arrow, so you can really cheese the missions. It scales poorly for endless runs though.

Mercenary camp isn't very far into the levels. The airship takes awhile. Once it's unlocked, you need 500,000 gold and 15 gumballs to repair it so you can actually do anything with it. The 15 gumball requirement took me a good bit longer than the gold or initially unlocking the ship.

oh awesome, I didn't see a gumball thread. I ended up getting merc camp so that unlocked a bunch of code gumballs for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Oh my god that Hidden My Game Mom game has a sequel. The first one was hilarious and the ending was surprisingly good??

http://app.hap.ne.jp/mom2/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.jp.ne.hap.mom2