Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sassassin posted:

He goes crazy when he dies but they rarely hang out or know much about each other's lives. That's not friendship.

They're colleagues/childhood acquaintances, and Goku is brain-damaged. If Goku had a puppy and Frieza/Piccolo's minion killed it, you'd get a similar response. They took something weak that Goku thinks belongs to him.

They trained for like half a year together and were the first friends around their age they made, how the hell are they not besties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only two people Goku can count on not to make a situation worse are Krillin and Piccolo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Remember why Goku fought King Piccolo? Neither do I.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still think if Goku had actually seen Krillin get killed, he might have gone SSJ right then and there.

loving demon is lucky he was half dead from fighting Tien

Then again it's a good thing Goku DID lose otherwise he never would have met Yajirobe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really do genuinely wonder what the arbitrary threshold for becoming a Super Saiyan is. I mean it is apparently pretty rock-simple to do once you know it is a thing that can be done but at the same time apparently it literally never happened in a thousand years on Vegeta (barring Broli I guess) or on Cabba's homeworld.

I mean I know the answer is Plot Magic but I still wonder.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's also that theory that children of Super Saiyans are able to access the state much easier than those that aren't. That would explain why Goten got it so easily, but also how Gohan had a much harder time since Goku hadn't achieved the state yet when he was conceived.

Then again Nappa apparently thought he and Vegeta could make a literal army of halfbreed Super Saiyans on Earth in one of those plot points everyone forgets about from the manga, so who knows. I don't think it matters that much.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 3, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I assume you need to be above a certain power level. Most Saiyans probably never got as high as Frieza-arc Goku or pre-time travel Future Trunks.

Also weren't Saiyan's pretty complacent by the time they got wiped out Just resigned themselves to working for Frieza. Probably hard to muster up any purity or rage or pride or whatever when you're content to just kill things for money and spend the rest of your time in a bar or whatever.

Raxivace posted:

There's also that theory that children of Super Saiyans are able to access the state much easier than those that aren't. That would explain why Goten got it so easily, but also how Gohan had a much harder time since Goku hadn't achieved the state yet when he was conceived.

I also buy into this theory.

Though that does raise the question of Future Trunks and Trunks though, since Future Trunks achieved it way later than Trunks, who had it as a kid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Then again Nappa apparently thought he and Vegeta could make a literal army of halfbreed Super Saiyans on Earth in one of those plot points everyone forgets about from the manga, so who knows. I don't think it matters that much.

The problem with that theory is Trunks since Trunks has born long before Vegeta ever became a Super Saiyan and apparently had no trouble becoming one. (Future Trunks arguably did but IIRC the manga version didn't, it was only the anime where they made it a big plot point.)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ah right, Trunks.

Yeah that seems to squash the theory then.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hate-Senpai posted:

I assume you need to be above a certain power level. Most Saiyans probably never got as high as Frieza-arc Goku or pre-time travel Future Trunks.

Yeah, this is what I figured. Goku and Vegeta had to train the most to get to it, but once they knew the best way to get stronger they were able to teach their kids how to do it faster and faster, so Goten got much more efficient training.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

Yeah, this is what I figured. Goku and Vegeta had to train the most to get to it, but once they knew the best way to get stronger they were able to teach their kids how to do it faster and faster, so Goten got much more efficient training.

Goku was dead by the time Goten was born, though. And Gohan probably didn't really train Goten all that much, given that he was unaware that Goten could go Super Saiyan.

So I assume parents generally pass down their power levels to their children, and some just tend to be born with insane levels like Broly.

Though I guess Goten could have just sorta trained while fooling around with Trunks, who did get training from Vegeta.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i think it's just "half-saiyans can do it easier"

just gohan wouldn't hurt a fly and future trunks is likewise a pretty level-headed kid, so they couldn't get Real Mad enough

the moral here is spoil your children so they're petulant enough to gain superpowers over something trivial

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

Though I guess Goten could have just sorta trained while fooling around with Trunks, who did get training from Vegeta.

This is the most plausible theory I think, having a rival is the best thing to increase your power as for shonen law.

Gohan didn't really have any but his shtick has been "hidden incredible power" since day 1.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The most logical theory is the Terry Pratchett mountain climbing theory, which states that every time somebody becomes a Super Saiyan it becomes easier for the next person to do it, until eventually babies go Super in the womb.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clearly having a good relationship with your family just makes it much easier to become super saiyan. And as each generation of saiyan has a much better home life they get the transformation a lot quicker.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Clearly having a good relationship with your family just makes it much easier to become super saiyan. And as each generation of saiyan has a much better home life they get the transformation a lot quicker.

So you're saying Goku's family became closer once he died....

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

So you're saying Goku's family became closer once he died....

More that Goten's the only one that got to actually spend his childhood with his family even if dad was dead.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Ninth Layer posted:

Did you not watch Dragon Ball at all?

No, I only read it last year.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Last Celebration posted:

They trained for like half a year together and were the first friends around their age they made, how the hell are they not besties?

Are you still best friends with your first/only childhood friend?

After "half a year" together Goku wandered around alone for years, they only saw each other at tournaments. One day Goku shows up with a 5 year old son (who Krillin is closer friends with).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

sassassin posted:

Are you still best friends with your first/only childhood friend?

No, but Goku is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rodyle posted:

No, but Goku is.

Goku's best friend is Vegeta. They hang out all the time, like all the same things, and spend most of their time apart wondering what the other is up to.

And despite being way more powerful, Goku still hasn't abandoned him. True bffs.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Goku and Vegeta spend time apart all the time. They just happen to have the same master now.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

How quickly will Pan's kids go super saiyan?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

First of all you have to have a certain amount of power. We see kid trunks training under gravity indicating that his training regime under vegeta is probably more gruelling than his training under gohan. What we don't get to see is his moment of "pure anger" to trigger the transformation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I actually really like the idea of Gohan going all Mega Man each saga, just so that he can go from zero to hero all over again in new and interesting ways - it really does make him more interesting.

Rand Brittain posted:

The most logical theory is the Terry Pratchett mountain climbing theory, which states that every time somebody becomes a Super Saiyan it becomes easier for the next person to do it, until eventually babies go Super in the womb.

Explains Pan, I guess.

Something I don't think I ever picked up on - when and why does Goku go from flying around on the Nimbus to flying around by himself? I assume it happens sometime before Namek, but it's been so long since I last watched Z.

Junpei Hyde posted:

How quickly will Pan's kids go super saiyan?

Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr seem be able to go Super Saiyan pretty easily, so it doesn't get harder over time at least.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pollyanna posted:

I actually really like the idea of Gohan going all Mega Man each saga, just so that he can go from zero to hero all over again in new and interesting ways - it really does make him more interesting.

Explains Pan, I guess.

Something I don't think I ever picked up on - when and why does Goku go from flying around on the Nimbus to flying around by himself? I assume it happens sometime before Namek, but it's been so long since I last watched Z.

Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr seem be able to go Super Saiyan pretty easily, so it doesn't get harder over time at least.

Goku last uses the Nimbus to fly from Kami's lookout to his duel with Vegeta.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Its not really explained but it's mostly because he can't really use Nimbus on Namek and I assume Toriyama just ignored it after. But originally Nimbus was faster than flying on your own power so "in universe" he just got fast enough to not need it. You can see this when Gohan drops using the Nimbus to get to school faster.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He learnt to fly on Snake road.

E:actually Kami already taught him, he only walked the road since he tired himself out flying the first half
And he got real good at it with king kai.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 3, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He learnt to fly on Snake road.

E:actually Kami already taught him, he only walked the road since he tired himself out flying the first half
And he got real good at it with king kai.

he still nimbuses to Vegeta though. Although you could say it was energy saving but he also knew it was time crunched so I doubt he wouldn't have flown if it was faster.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

He basically got strong enough to go faster without it and where the energy drain became negligible. Then he learned to teleport

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Goku didn't learn to fly well until the Freeza saga at earliest. During their first fight Vegeta even makes fun of how lovely Goku is at aerial combat.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Funky Valentine posted:

The only two people Goku can count on not to make a situation worse are Krillin and Piccolo.

To be fair, Goku isn't on that list either. Although that's probably intentional on your part.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Raxivace posted:

Where's my Xenoverse level where I fight Nappa Jrs?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Goku last uses the Nimbus to fly from Kami's lookout to his duel with Vegeta.

There is one last time he uses it - when he flies from the hospital to the Brief's before taking off to Namek

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sassassin posted:

Goku's best friend is Vegeta. They hang out all the time, like all the same things, and spend most of their time apart wondering what the other is up to.

And despite being way more powerful, Goku still hasn't abandoned him. True bffs.

goku is abandoning vegeta for hit, his new bff, as we speak

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

goku is abandoning vegeta for hit, his new bff, as we speak

He can't resist the bad boys.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Namtab posted:

What we don't get to see is his moment of "pure anger" to trigger the transformation.

I mean he's a 5 year old child so that isnt hard to imagine

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Archenteron posted:

"DON'T TALK ABOUT 'NO COOKIES'!!!!! IT'S OVER, MOMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

Where's my Xenoverse level where I fight Nappa Jrs?

where's my nappa harem anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Archenteron posted:

isn't he 7?

E: he is 8 at the time of buu

• Locked thread