Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Just had a run where I beat The Witness consecutively with Samson, Lazarus and The Lost. Lost run was the best RNG I've ever seen and I have almost 1000 hours into the game. It was literally the first time I tried The Lost in Antibirth and I got The Quarter in the first curse room which let me buy The Stopwatch in the shop (which is back to its Rebirth form of being OP as gently caress), got Nine Lives on the second Devil deal. Run progressed fairly normally from there with good devil deals, ended with about 16 damage including Death's Touch and Bird's Eye which isn't fantastic and probably not enough to kill Witness without some help. Fortunately on Masoleum II I had also found an Algiz rune and a Chaos card. GG.

BTW Witness has two phases so if you get a Chaos card don't use it on him until his head drops out. Also be careful not to nuke him right off the bat -- if you kill his model in the middle of the room it's easy for him to physically block you out from touching the chest and then there's no way to win the run -- you have to force close the process and then try again from the beginning of the floor (which is where runs are saved as you go along).

Also if you get Sulfur you should know that if you use it twice in the same room you get Brimstone permanently. So get it charged up any time you're going to be getting into a shop. You can also do a handoff with Jacob / Esau and get both of them to get Brimstone ASAP.

Magic Skin is probably the most powerful new item in the game. Keep using it in curse rooms and you'll have Guppy guaranteed in no time.

Also the Challenge quest with the sword is really great -- Isaac's Awakening or something.

This is easily the best community made mod I've ever seen. If you don't have it yet you should get it. It runs on a Rebirth install (so uncheck the box for the expansion in Steam as a first step) and I had to fiddle with it a bit to get it to go (make a new folder, copy everything from Rebirth into it, then "install" the antibirth thing to that directory which creates a subfolder, then copy everything out of that subfolder into the main folder and allow it to overwrite. Once you do this you can then click the expansion box in steam again and Steam will install Afterbirth again and it Antibirth will work in its separate folder.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Curse room? The Lost? Did they give him the Holy Mantle for Antibirth to match him with his current Afterbirth self?

Also, you can just save+quit and continue to reset The Witness's giant freaking head taking over the chest.

Isaac's Awakening didn't work correctly for me the one time I tried it; killed the Witness and entered the chest like normal instead of actually collecting a trophy.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
things i hate in isaac after 10 hours

rag man
azazel
charge shot

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why would you hate azazel? he's so fuckin strong

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

why would you hate azazel? he's so fuckin strong

Strong but extremely boring

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i guess if you get a range plus? seems really bad otherwise

i just beat greed mode on my first try and the machine spawned in between the statue and chest and i couldnt give my 60 coins :(

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

i just beat greed mode on my first try and the machine spawned in between the statue and chest and i couldnt give my 60 coins :(

It'd probably break after you put two in anyways.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
azazel is super strong literally no matter what. I'm having flashbacks to when rebirth first came out and someone in this thread was like "his range sucks, you need to get carried by good items to deal with bosses like mom's heart" and then I recorded myself getting to and beating mom's heart as azazel without picking up any items the whole way, first try, because he does so much damage... time becomes a loop

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

that ivy guy posted:

Curse room? The Lost? Did they give him the Holy Mantle for Antibirth to match him with his current Afterbirth self?

Also, you can just save+quit and continue to reset The Witness's giant freaking head taking over the chest.

Isaac's Awakening didn't work correctly for me the one time I tried it; killed the Witness and entered the chest like normal instead of actually collecting a trophy.

The Lost comes with Holy Mantel and the D4 in Antibirth, yeah. However if I start a Lost run and there's a curse room next to him I always go in and hope for Nine Lives or a teleport card back out. If I'm trying to get an objective done.

The trophy notifications don't pop up for me when I do them but I still have them recorded as done in Secrets.

raton fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 3, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Relin posted:

i guess if you get a range plus? seems really bad otherwise

Isaac with the D6 is the strongest starting character. Azazel is just after him. The range only matters in a few boss fights and flight with his huge damage and his starting buffer of spirit hearts means you have to get really unlucky to hit those bosses without a good pool of HP, huge damage, or both. For most enemies I'm not much more than an Azazely-distance away anyway because fewer shots miss then.

Relin posted:

things i hate in isaac after 10 hours

rag man
azazel
charge shot

Rag Man is tedious because he has a huge amount of HP and he spawns but he's not dangerous. If he runs toward you he's going to shoot at you so start backing off and circling. If he runs at a dead spider he's going to rez it. Otherwise it just dicks around throwing his head. If you have usually just one damage up you can kill the heads as they roll out and he takes damage and the head dies before it spiders. If you have less damage than that just keep shooting at rag man and ignore the spiders unless they get you in a corner. If you have an extra bomb kick it horizontally in between rag man and a new head when it rolls out and it'll pop and hit both things and do huge damage.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Things I hate in Afterbirth after ~900 hours:

-Human popcorns that spawn blue silkworms

-There's an L shaped room with flies in it and sometimes the gandfather flies go over a bunch of rocks in the lower left and they never fly out. I've had three runs that I had to just abandon because of that and that doesn't count the times I had a bomb I could use to continue the game. Usually the flies eventually drift out but in that room they just don't, they go up to the wall and stay there no matter where you go in the room.

-Human popcorns that spawn spiders if they turn into the big spider that if you kill it spawns two more little spiders

-The room in the Womb with the two brimstone spiders that blast across the screen horizontally at start and then waddle toward the door and clip you. No way to avoid damage unless your shots are big enough to clip them on a horizontal shot or if you can fly over there, but you've only got a split second to do that.

-The Bloat is bullshit. If he jumps to the top of the room there's often no way to get him down and then you're throwing angle shots in slowly for the next four minutes until he dies. Because you start the fight by going above him and shooting down about half the time he jumps to the top of the room.

-Envy

-Chad, Steven, the four horsemen, Krampus and any other boss I'm forgetting with a fixed always-drop should instead have a chance of that drop and then a regular boss drop, or spawn a single use reroll pedestal along with their default item or something, or a chance of that.

-Pills are poo poo since Afterbirth. Retro Vision is just mindless player punishment. I don't take them outside of niche scenarios. PhD doesn't even make them good any more because so many lovely pills are left in the mix with it.

-Curse of the maze needs to be turned way down it's infuriating. Burning Basement should not be able to get Curse of Darkness.

raton fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 3, 2017

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So Edmund made a tweet 7 hours ago stating it should go live on steam in "roughly" 16 hours, at least I'll have something to wake up to!

In another news here's some new songs from the expansions

https://ridiculon.bandcamp.com/album/the-binding-of-isaac-afterbirth-ost-2

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Bang3r posted:

So Edmund made a tweet 7 hours ago stating it should go live on steam in "roughly" 16 hours, at least I'll have something to wake up to!

In another news here's some new songs from the expansions

https://ridiculon.bandcamp.com/album/the-binding-of-isaac-afterbirth-ost-2

http://platinumgod.co.uk/afterbirth-plus-countdown

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
countdown to a worse expansion than antibirth lol

I'm still waiting for antibirth to be proper modded though so that'll be nice if nothing else

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Yeah can't wait to see what they didn't playtest this time

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

You should load up Jacob anyway and just give Esau enough life to get by. It matches the story of the brothers and more importantly Jacob has the HP to pay for devil deals so it's the habit you should be in. Esau gets pets and orbitals and stuff like that from me and that's about it -- maybe Pitcher of Lemonade or something like that.

Jacob and Esau are kinda garbage, but they are at least fun and interesting garbage rather than stupid unfair garbage. You should also give Esau flight first rather than Jacob, since it allows you to stuff Esau in a corner to hide while his brother kills everything, and you still get the benefit of being able to collect consumables and cross gaps since only one brother needs to walk through a given door.

The one cool thing about Jacob and Esau is that in double item rooms or with There's Options, you can get both items if you line them up right. Plus, if you die and resurrect as another character, the game fuses both twins item pools, so you can kind of become a super god by getting double items through the whole game and then fusing with your twin. :ssj:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

azazel is super strong literally no matter what. I'm having flashbacks to when rebirth first came out and someone in this thread was like "his range sucks, you need to get carried by good items to deal with bosses like mom's heart" and then I recorded myself getting to and beating mom's heart as azazel without picking up any items the whole way, first try, because he does so much damage... time becomes a loop
That's why he's a boring character though - items barely do anything, you're basically the same every run, all the time.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Is it out??

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Supposedly 3 PM EST, but we know how Isaac launches go.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm less concerned with it actually coming out today and more concerned with us actually getting the full expansion this week.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Jibo posted:

I'm less concerned with it actually coming out today and more concerned with us actually getting the full expansion this week.

I actually liked the fact that they held back some content last time. that was people actually did that treasure hunt rather than spoiling the secrets by looking at the source code.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

I actually liked the fact that they held back some content last time. that was people actually did that treasure hunt rather than spoiling the secrets by looking at the source code.

Edmund said on Roundtable Live that the missing content was a total accident. Nicalis meant to delete some lines about The Keeper, and ended up deleting a whole bunch of items by accident. Edmund was asleep at the time because he'd just finished and delivered this major project, and when he woke up, people were calling for his head on social media.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
People also got all riled up because for a couple of days Ed denied that there was an issue with it and he is incapable of delivering bad news in a way that is satisfactory to his fanbase.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Spergatory posted:

Jacob and Esau are kinda garbage, but they are at least fun and interesting garbage rather than stupid unfair garbage. You should also give Esau flight first rather than Jacob, since it allows you to stuff Esau in a corner to hide while his brother kills everything, and you still get the benefit of being able to collect consumables and cross gaps since only one brother needs to walk through a given door.

The one cool thing about Jacob and Esau is that in double item rooms or with There's Options, you can get both items if you line them up right. Plus, if you die and resurrect as another character, the game fuses both twins item pools, so you can kind of become a super god by getting double items through the whole game and then fusing with your twin. :ssj:

What I like about Jacob and Esau is that other than Azazel they're the strongest character out of the gate but by the midgame having to split your defensive items and the increased hitbox makes them usually one of the weakest. It's a clever way to mess with the difficulty curve.

It seems like they have a greatly increased chance of getting balls of steel as a pill, but that could just be variance.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
where the gently caress is it!!!!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

g0lbez posted:

where the gently caress is it!!!!

:f5:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Looks like Platinumgod was wrong. Six more weeks of winter.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/816375891164962816

Another hour or two. :(

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How do you gently caress up launching a DLC on time in TYOOL 2017, outside of the regular steam time even.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

FrickenMoron posted:

How do you gently caress up launching a DLC on time in TYOOL 2017, outside of the regular steam time even.

Tradition?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you are still surprised by their incompetence, that's your own fault.

It's like their thing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Indy Game movie made it look like there was a few hour delay because of Microsoft. This is the first time this is delayed on Steam that I can recall (I don't think there was one for Rebirth or Afterbirth). He probably uploaded the DLC hours/days ago, and it's up to Steam now.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

IUG posted:

The Indy Game movie made it look like there was a few hour delay because of Microsoft. This is the first time this is delayed on Steam that I can recall (I don't think there was one for Rebirth or Afterbirth). He probably uploaded the DLC hours/days ago, and it's up to Steam now.

Afterbirth was delayed for an hour or so. I don't think WotL or Rebirth were though. (WotL was just buggier than the Amazon rainforest instead.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

IUG posted:

I mean, maybe it's just me, but I would put the DLC on sale well before it was actually going to launch, since Steam has had that functionality for like a decade and it's 2017. It's very strange to me that you can "miss" the deadline to go live by "an hour", because that seems like it means you've actually missed it by loving weeks and have been scrambling ever since.

...which kinda sums up every launch from Rebirth forward, doesn't it :(

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean, maybe it's just me, but I would put the DLC on sale well before it was actually going to launch, since Steam has had that functionality for like a decade and it's 2017. It's very strange to me that you can "miss" the deadline to go live by "an hour", because that seems like it means you've actually missed it by loving weeks and have been scrambling ever since.

...which kinda sums up every launch from Rebirth forward, doesn't it :(

To be fair this is an exceedingly common occurrence for Steam games in general, which leads me to believe that the platform itself is at least somewhat at fault.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/816389270336368640
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/816395178424422401

I don't think it's him/Tyrone's fault.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Don't take away people's pleasure in blaming someone not responsible while foaming at the mouth.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Ugh I'm so loving done with Ed McMillen never supporting him ever again *furiously refreshes Afterbirth+ steam page*

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Look man just tell me where to focus my unreasonable nerd rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jibo posted:

Look man just tell me where to focus my unreasonable nerd rage.