Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I moved and have a loft upstairs with my bed now. Here's a picture of the lower level with my setup:

Unfortunately I also uninstalled CS:GO for the first month of my new temp-to-perm lab tech job so I can more easily control my sleep schedule. I'll see you dudes on the other side!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Oh honey, we GOTTA do something about those cables :gay:

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
So for the last 4 months, I've had sub-100 average FPS in every map. GTX 1070, 2500k OC'd to 4.0. I had upwards of 300 before. Even after turning every setting down to lowest possible, I had barely 90s.

Today I played a game on my smurf account. I had 295 FPS with every setting on high.

I have an auto exec and config.cfg in my main CSGO folder. My command line instructions are the same (-freq 144 only)

What the gently caress setting do I have set outside my config files and video menu that's absolutely destroying my FPS?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/wickedplayer494/status/816070266656849921

I wonder what they'll use this for? Hopefully more involved operations/fantasy pick-em experiences

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
So anyone else excited for the major?
I just booked my hotel and decided to just drive down early Friday morning. Found a decent rate on a nearby hotel - $100/night.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
I just can't believe that the game doesn't have any real stats available. I wanna know my best guns, my ADR, T vs CT stats, map stats, etc. Even different game mode stats should be easily accessible. It's really pathetic that this isn't in the game.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Crimson posted:

I just can't believe that the game doesn't have any real stats available. I wanna know my best guns, my ADR, T vs CT stats, map stats, etc. Even different game mode stats should be easily accessible. It's really pathetic that this isn't in the game.

Play on servers that offer stat tracking if it matters that much to you

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Crimson posted:

you can check some of your stats on http://csgo-stats.com/ but it sucks and doesn't really work because there's no stats for cache, mirage or overpass because valve hasn't updated the stats web api since forever

basically they are keeping track of your stats they just can't be bothered to share it with you in any way

e: also some dm servers have stats, so you can post fantastic stuff that's straight out of tyool 2003 like

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 3, 2017

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Play on servers that offer stat tracking if it matters that much to you

Yeah but why should that be what someone has to resort to?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Yeah but why should that be what someone has to resort to?

Because if they care about stats, then they're also likely to care about things like tickrate and general server quality, in which case a premium service is the obvious solution.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Because if they care about stats, then they're also likely to care about things like tickrate and general server quality, in which case a premium service is the obvious solution.

Are you saying that decent stat tracking isn't something I should expect by default in one of the most popular and competitive esports games? At the very least the API should be updated and open so others could track it well. That really would require very little effort from Valve. Hell I had better access to stats in the late 90s playing Starseige Tribes.

Edit: Anyone remember that old stat tracking site? Had Quake in the name. Was awesome.

Crimson fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 3, 2017

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
It's stupid as gently caress that we've resorted to accepting that Valve will not add the most basic of features for a game of this size and activity. Again, as an older player I'm not shocked but god drat, we've surpassed the popularity of 1.6 at it's peak by tenfold.

I shouldn't have to pay 6.95/mo to get good stat tracking, proper tickrate servers and anti-cheat. But alas, I will pay and the cycle continues.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
why is dotabuff a thing butcsgobuff isnt

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I play on a gungame server that has more stats than I know what to do with on its website. It tracks basically every goddamn bullet shot ever.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Crimson posted:

Are you saying that decent stat tracking isn't something I should expect by default in one of the most popular and competitive esports games?

At the very least the API should be updated and open so others could track it well.

That really would require very little effort from Valve.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. Nothing that comes with the $20 game you bought is competitive/esport "by default" until you join a 3rd party server. (Many of them are free if you've spent all your money on wine)

The demo API is fully open, that's why 3rd party servers can offer such detailed statistics. As a matter of fact, one of the Demo Analysis tools I link below was created with close cooperation from Valve to ensure it was as accurate as possible.

What you're specifically whining about are statistics in matchmaking, which "by default" does not represent a true competitive environment due to things like round/bomb timers.

GOTV demos of matchmaking are 32-tick (inherently useless for many statistics in a FPS), your best bet is to use a script like this one to save a POV demo of every match you play, and then use one of these programs to extract the statistical data you seek. Then you will have all of your precious statistics. All this said, if you really cared about statistics at all, or were even good enough to warrant collecting statistics for, you would be doing so instead of whining on the forums.

"Back in my day, tribes", no. Back in your day, multiplayer games used client side hit detection. A distraction for children, not a competitive sport with million dollar prize pools and international tournaments.

CS:GO has over 300k active players every month, with peaks approaching 700k and >3m uniques. Everything they do requires monumental effort. These game servers need to be running on physical cores, they do not respond well to virtualization. The database load to keep detailed stats for a playerbase of this size is immense. These aren't 10 minute quake games with a handful of players. They're >90 minute matches with 10 people. The replays and their resulting data are several orders of magnitude larger. It's incredible that we even have 30 days to download GOTV replays of previous matches, and is likely only a side-effect of them having to reference them internally for reports of cheating.

A short list of more important things they fixed in 2016, in no particular order:
- Glove Skins
- Nuke and Inferno got remade
- Increased default rate to 196000, with a new max of 786432 (6Mbps)
- Literally hundreds of map/model/animation fixes to make the game more consistent and fair/competitive
- Fixed the way animations were synced to the model so that what you see and what you're shooting at are more likely to be the same thing
- Removed crouch spamming
- Prime Matchmaking
- An incredible new sound engine
- Competitive Matchmaking Servers in India (other regions literally didn't even have MM until this year and you're whining about how easy stats would be)
- Maximum acceptable matchmaking ping limit lowered to 25
- Valve Datagram Beta (DOTA2 had it first, essentially makes sure you have multiple routes to valve's private network. Mildly effective for DDoS prevention)
- You can finally change the width of sniper crosshairs for high DPI monitors
- A new accuracy recovery method
- cvars for automatic bunnyhopping
- Sound queues when a player is low on ammo
- Griefing bans are now permanent
- Experimental plugin support for managing network channel encryption keys on community servers (A prerequisite to making datagram support possible for community servers)
- Lag compensation for players on the same team as you (necessary for DM game types, but also fixes many other small issues)
- Forced doors to always be networked so that you cannot "see through them" with high latency

In closing, I'm happy we don't have accessible competitive matchmaking statistics, because every time anything is changed they would be used as "proof" that something is good or bad. Especially the ranking system. I would much rather that they continue to work towards creating the most consistent experience possible, so that when we do have the numbers, they mean something.

Up Circle posted:

why is dotabuff a thing butcsgobuff isnt

Because in context, the statistics are actually a useful measure of skill/effectiveness.

It's extremely hard to do something similar for a FPS like CSGO. Even trying to measure the effectiveness of a flashbang is extremely complicated. Is how long they were flashed for relevant if there were no enemies on screen to shoot? Maybe it was to mask the sound of a reload, or someone dropping down, or a bomb defuse. A player holding a site particularly well might not even do any damage, or throw utility that any definable metric would classify as "effective", but the noise he made was enough of a deterrent for the other team to change their plan and lose a timing/man advantage. HRTF sound is a step towards being able to actually quantify some of these things and that's pretty exciting.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
I think CS GO is actually pretty analogous to MOBAs in terms of the (fairly limited) usefulness of statistics. MOBA stats can't tell you if you used an ability well either, and can't account for someone who has bad stats but contributed to the team winning because he suffered through a 2v1 lane, or let the jungler gank elsewhere, or whatever else. But I think at least some basic stats would be useful, like your win:loss record, or win:loss on a particular map. E.g. when I was playing Starcraft matchup by matchup win:loss was really helpful to give me a better idea of what I needed to work on.

If you're just storing those sort of top line stats and not actual demos or replays it seems like that should be a doable database. It might not make sense to build given that Valve has a skeleton crew on CS GO, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think of it as a pretty clear hole relative to what other competitive titles provide .

The tool combo you posted looks great tho, will definitely try it out.

Fusion Restaurant fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 3, 2017

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Yes, that is what I'm saying. Nothing that comes with the $20 game you bought is competitive/esport "by default" until you join a 3rd party server. (Many of them are free if you've spent all your money on wine)

HAHAHA did you go through my post history for a csgo stat post takedown? That's impressive. The game may be cheap but they make heaps of money from it; it was among their top revenue earners of 2016.

Many of the fixes you posted are either simple to implement (- Maximum acceptable matchmaking ping limit lowered to 25, - Griefing bans are now permanent) or addressed things no one asked for (- Sound queues when a player is low on ammo, - A new accuracy recovery method). They're already tracking a lot of the stats to give you the lovely stats they do offer, but the way they're presented could be vastly improved with little to no impact on storage issues. Basic things like W/L, K:D on certain maps, filtered by game mode, would hardly add to what they're already tracking. It's just not parsed well at all right now.

Also, thank you for linking the demo tools, I'm gonna try em out. You could have linked them without being a dickhead about it.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

^I literally meant to type "whine", welcome to the ignore list. Everything you're saying is doing a great job of demonstrating that you are simply incapable of comprehending the global, multi-region scale that they operate at, or how updates would change the meaning/value of previous statistics. If lowering the maximum acceptable matchmaking ping to 25 was so easy, can you explain to me how they did it?

Fusion Restaurant posted:

I think CS GO is actually pretty analogous to MOBAs in terms of the (fairly limited) usefulness of statistics. MOBA stats can't tell you if you used an ability well either, and can't account for someone who has bad stats but contributed to the team winning because he suffered through a 2v1 lane, or let the jungler gank elsewhere, or whatever else. But I think at least some basic stats would be useful, like your win:loss record, or win:loss on a particular map. E.g. when I was playing Starcraft matchup by matchup win:loss was really helpful to give me a better idea of what I needed to work on.

If you're just storing those sort of top line stats and not actual demos or replays it seems like that should be a doable database. It might not make sense to build given that Valve has a skeleton crew on CS GO, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think of it as a pretty clear hole relative to what other competitive titles provide .

The tool combo you posted looks great tho, will definitely try it out.

Idk if you've really dug through dotabuff, but they actually do provide breakdowns of your ability effectiveness. (Number of casts vs hits, damage done, duration, and per-target breakdowns of each) scroll down a bit to Combat Effectiveness

They also have really nice graphs that show you when a team is collaborating to get kills.

Matchup stats would be far more useful if we had seasons.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Okay this is all cool and fun and stuff, but ex-Dig is most likely getting signed to that Danish football club today and that's much more interesting, so look out for that.

:siren:I LIED, IT ALREADY HAPPENED:siren:

https://twitter.com/TheNorthIsHere/status/816227094283874304

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

^I literally meant to type "whine", welcome to the ignore list. Everything you're saying is doing a great job of demonstrating that you are simply incapable of comprehending the global, multi-region scale that they operate at, or how updates would change the meaning/value of previous statistics. If lowering the maximum acceptable matchmaking ping to 25 was so easy, can you explain to me how they did it?

I'm assuming you work at Valve at this point.

quote:

Okay this is all cool and fun and stuff, but ex-Dig is most likely getting signed to that Danish football club today and that's much more interesting, so look out for that.

Done deal. Super cool. That's really huge for the game.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Idk if you've really dug through dotabuff, but they actually do provide breakdowns of your ability effectiveness. (Number of casts vs hits, damage done, duration, and per-target breakdowns of each) scroll down a bit to Combat Effectiveness

They also have really nice graphs that show you when a team is collaborating to get kills.

Wow that's amazing, haven't looked at it for a long time.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

lol you seem surprisingly angry about stats on CSGO

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Jesus dude. Your last two posts are the exact reasons why you got this lovely reading in the first place. Simmer down now.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=xpN0aUNL6Fg

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

lol you seem surprisingly angry about stats on CSGO

Nah man, it's EZ. Have you even seen the stats that the goon server offers? It's pretty cutting edge poo poo :smugdog:

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Wow that's amazing, haven't looked at it for a long time.

If you go to the vision tab, you can click on circles of things all over the minimap, and it will tell you who did it, when, and how effective it was :aaaaa:

Imagine being able to click on a smoke, see when it was thrown, complete with the position of the player (as in where they are, what they're aiming at, how fast/what direction they were moving in), and then show a circle from the origin that would show you how close you'd have to be in order to hear them pull the pin before they throw it.

Or even better, imagine how deadly you'd be if the stats could tell you how often you're walking when nobody is close enough to hear you anyways, and when/where you do it most?

You'd start seeing "Listen Spot" youtube videos/websites that teach people things like, if you push T mid Mirage at round start, and you stand in the corner closest to A stairs, you can hear them pull the pins on their smokes. Being able to relay this information to your players on B a few-several seconds faster would enable them to push or rotate and contribute to the fight/catch a fake instead of coordinating a re-take because the A-site holders fell back/died after getting flashed/hearing the smokes land.

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Jesus dude. Your last two posts are the exact reasons why you got this lovely reading in the first place. Simmer down now.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=xpN0aUNL6Fg

Hey now, at least I got invited to the new private servers that other people started after the fact. Entitled, whiny goons love to mope around about how "easy" things are to change or fix, especially in games. At least I can say that I'm actively contributing to a solution. What are you doing?

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

A short list of more important things they fixed in 2016, in no particular order:
- Glove Skins

You and I seem to have differing opinions on what was an important fix. Adding more monetization mechanics and less tangible improvements that people have been literally begging for isn't improving dick all. A lot of things that people have been asking for (for 4 years now), such as unranked matchmaking to play with your lower skilled friends, is not hard to add.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:thejoke: Why so serious, friend?

Public Lobbies are also brand new, it's easier than ever to get 9 other people together for some unranked casual shootmans

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
mommy daddy please stop fighting

stump collector
May 28, 2007
those were some decent points about stats wrt patch cycles

surc
Aug 17, 2004

If lowering the maximum acceptable matchmaking ping to 25 was so easy, can you explain to me how they did it?

I'm confused about what you mean by this, because this is something that has been, and remains, settable on the client side with:
code:
mm_dedicated_search_maxping “x"

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
There's even a GUI setting for it these days.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Okay, I think I found it, looks like valve lowered the selectable minimum to 25:
http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2016/10/16846/

Assuming they weren't idiots in how they wrote their code before this patch, then yes this was an easy fix, because they literally just changed the value where they set it in the code. Find+Replace fix at most, if they had it set in multiple files.

I can't think of any good reason why there'd be anything complex they'd have to change, it would be completely nonsensical to have prior logic that prevents servers from reporting pings of under 25, and since I wound up on MM servers where I had lower than 25 ping prior to that patch, I can (anecdotally) say there was nothing preventing the game from connecting you to a server with that, or preventing the server from reporting it to the client.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had less than 25ms in a game

Living on the frozen rear end end of the world kind of sucks sometimes!

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I moved to the northwest like a year ago and since I did, I get that 15-20 ping server life most games, if my lobby isn't filled by 4 goons, because apparently all goons live on tip of Maine or something.

I can have good ping, as long as I'm willing to put up with trash players.

surc fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 3, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm average at best (for my overall skill level) with every gun, except for some reason I can rip poo poo up with the silenced m4. The USP also but not as much. Something about the tink tink sound just makes sense to me.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I think I already know the answer but maybe I am wrong.

It seems like I can't hit poo poo in front of me close range when the opponent has like a p90 and is running back and forth crazy like when I have the ak/any rifle... Is the answer just don't put myself in a position where they get close? Or is it just my aim/reaction time sucks?

For example if I am a T and plant default on Cache A site, and someone is rushing from truck with a p90 when they cross over I just get my poo poo pushed in and pretty much can't hit them at all.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

surc posted:

I'm confused about what you mean by this, because this is something that has been, and remains, settable on the client side with:
code:
mm_dedicated_search_maxping x

The previous limits were 70 and then 50 (as in regardless of the number you set, this was the lowest matchmaking would actually look for). All of this came about as a result of people who live on the edge of multiple regions trying to exclude the one they got the worst latency to, to the point that it became extremely popular to use server picker utilities to specifically block these regions manually. This was right as the tournaments were really starting to pick up, and lots of new players, especially in developing markets, were having an absolutely terrible first impression with the game because of poor latency. They've been working towards that as a goal for over a year, I've summarized this from patch notes over that time period.

First, new hardware, adding additional servers in Atlanta, Hong Kong, India, and Chile. Then, they increased the default rate to 196k, with a maximum of 786432 (6mbps). This additional bandwidth is primarily consumed by Steam Datagram Relay (SDN), because of its ability to send/receive the same packet to multiple relays simultaneously as needed. I'm pretty sure it's DTLS as Transport for STUN. This results in lower latencies and greater resilience to DDoSing. They started using SDN to measure latencies to official datacenters not long after.

There were on/off issues for a decent part of the year in many regions as SDR was not yet supported in their countries, but matchmaking was still trying to use it, meaning they wouldn't be able to find a match. Valve fixed this in part by allowing clients to connect to less ideal servers outside of your closest region, with a notice if the latency was higher than your acceptable max ping. They also made sure that clients would always connect to a server that fell within acceptable max ping if it existed.

Right after this, they enabled a new low max acceptable ping of 25ms.

Then, they figured out that various parts of their userbase were sometimes getting absurdly high ping because region selection was based on SDR ping, but SDR was not used in that region yet. They fixed this by ensuring that they measure regular UDP pings to regions where SDR is not enabled.

Now, most people seem to be happy, and you only really hear complaints about HTRF audio stuttering / spectator loss issues.

Keep in mind this wasn't some kind of simple "find and replace" like a loving wordpress developer hacking at templates off snack overflow, this was an international rollout of a new communication protocol. It did not go smoothly, and took them several months to eventually track down and figure out. That said, very few companies would have done a better job.

It's pretty cutting edge poo poo, and is actually resilient enough to continue functioning on it's own without the traditional Internet. Meaning as long as you can connect to the relays, you can play. While that scenario isn't very likely, running a "micro region" at a LAN and having a hyper-local matchmaking is actually a feasible thing now. Combined with the new local lobbies interface, we might be on to something cool?

If you haven't you can opt into the datagram relay beta with

code:
net_client_steamdatagram_enable_override 1
either in your autoexec, or typed in to console. So far it's only for official servers. The console will tell you it is connecting to '=[A:n:nnnnnnn]' instead of an IP address if it's in use.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

fyallm posted:

It seems like I can't hit poo poo in front of me close range when the opponent has like a p90 and is running back and forth crazy like when I have the ak/any rifle... Is the answer just don't put myself in a position where they get close? Or is it just my aim/reaction time sucks?

For example if I am a T and plant default on Cache A site, and someone is rushing from truck with a p90 when they cross over I just get my poo poo pushed in and pretty much can't hit them at all.

You're being inaccurate either for technical (fps/monitor reasons/lag) or personal reasons (don't know spray pattern/losing your cool) and the p90 is very forgiving/mobile.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

fyallm posted:

The biggest thing I found/find myself doing when I get killed by a p90 is panicking. The damage of the p90 sucks, and you have a good window of time to 1. Breathe 2. Aim 3. Shoot. Don't start spraying the instant you see them.

Positioning wise, give yourself long angles to hold, like if you can get to A main on Cache, do so.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

:lol: at all the people in the thread complaining about how Valve doesnt do anything for CSGO Comp when for years TF2s Comp scene scraped by literally on nothing but 3rd party applications and when Valve finally did add MM it killed TF2.

Also when things like the Reserve Shooter, Rescue Ranger, Baby Face Blaster, and Pomson exist. OP release Revolver had nothing on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

How did it actually die? I always hear this from die hard TF2 heads but if you look at the player stats it's been nearly 50k average monthly for years

Was it before 2012?

Wait, are those guns that have different stats, that you have to pay for?!?