Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

It is true, but missing like 20-25 percent of the race due to ads is a completely legitimate complaint. Is the coverage really better if you're missing 1/3 of it?

Idk man, I'd say if you've only ever watched ITV/BBC/C4/Sky broadcasts then you probably aren't aware of just how much less idiotic the NBC commentators are. They actually add to the race. I'm not sure if it still exists, but if it does, go find the YouTube compilation of various channels covering Sato's pass of Alonso.

That's actually my #1 concern about an FOM-run streaming service. Would I be forced to listen to some Crofty-esque moron on the English-language broadcast?

wicka fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Crofty sucks less than comercial breaks.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Norns posted:

Crofty sucks less than comercial breaks.

Yeah

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

When David Croft gives a eulogy at a funeral he is by far the worst thing about that funeral, even moreso than the fact a person died.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Absolutely anything sucks less than commercial breaks

You're missing the racing, the very thing you have tuned in to watch. There is zero excuse for that poo poo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It wasn't long ago that y'all had to deal with the same drat thing. It's not like only the US has ads on TV.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I guess some people just genuinely need a several minute break from all the white hot F1 action. Perhaps learning about what all my favorite brands are up to is a good way to cleanse my racing palate

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Last time we had to deal with that poo poo was 2008, it was long ago enough

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

"Well you guys had to do it 9 years ago so that makes it okay today"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

"Well you guys had to do it 9 years ago so that makes it okay today"

Some of you are acting like you can't even comprehend the concept of ad breaks, an insanely common and aggressively normal thing. Yes, races are better without them. No, they are not a crime against humanity.

And again, if you've only ever watched the UK broadcasts of these races, you are totally ignorant as to what an actually good commentary team is like.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Some of you are acting like you can't even comprehend the concept of ad breaks, an insanely common and aggressively normal thing.

I don't have cable and use ad block on the internet. Whenever I watch Cable TV I struggle with the idea that people actually pay for the luxury of watching so many ads.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

quote:

Some of you are acting like you can't even comprehend the concept of ad breaks, an insanely common and aggressively normal thing. Yes, races are better without them. No, they are not a crime against humanity.

And again, if you've only ever watched the UK broadcasts of these races, you are totally ignorant as to what an actually good commentary team is like.
There are ad breaks and then there are American ad breaks. It's not the same thing at all.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gmaz posted:

There are ad breaks and then there are American ad breaks. It's not the same thing at all.

There are bad commentators and then there are bad British commentators. It's not the same thing at all.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I watch live tv so rarely these days yes, sitting through ads is quite uncommon for me

How anyone stands it I don't know, and over here it's not even close to US volumes

You're actually defending ad breaks, seriously

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If Verstappen is destined to die in a crash, I hope he does so by launching his car into the Sky booth.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

If Verstappen is destined to die in a crash, I hope he does so by launching his car into the Sky booth.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

wicka posted:

I'm also totally ignorant as to what it's like to have ads during a race. I'm okay with this.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

And then I hope they cut to Ted and he's forced to pretend he feels emotion.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Except you'll probably have missed it due to an ad break

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Except you'll probably have missed it due to an ad break

They'll show a replay when they get back, at least once the NBC crew stops laughing.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

wicka posted:

Even then Crofty would get the wrong car as he calls it out in his last moments
"RICCIARDO'S OFF AND HURTLING THROUGH THE SKY! TAKING AFTER HIS COUNTRYMAN 'AUSSIE GRIT' MARK WEBBER"
"No Crofty, it's Vers-BOOM

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The thread's child murder fan fiction keeps getting turned up a notch.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

wicka posted:

I'm gonna say it every day until I die: the ads are unbearable, but NBC's coverage is vastly superior to Sky in literally every other way. Sky's F1 coverage is among the worst sports broadcasts in the world. Just awful.

This opinion, like your posts, is bad

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe wicka just likes the slowmo montagages of lewis hamilton jumping off cars and spraying champagne and whatever celebrity is at the race while the race is going on.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

enri posted:

Even then Crofty would get the wrong car as he calls it out in his last moments
"RICCIARDO'S OFF AND HURTLING THROUGH THE SKY! TAKING AFTER HIS COUNTRYMAN 'AUSSIE GRIT' MARK WEBBER"
"No Crofty, it's Vers-BOOM

:golfclap:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

This opinion, like your posts, is bad

Reported.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Reported.

Let's just all try and be like Felipe and stay cool.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

PHWOAH!! How could there be an American viewer used to ad breaks in sports?? Unconscionable!!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Let's just all try and be like rosberg and take it slow.

edit god damnit, let's all try and be like rosberg and quit while we're ahead. it was right there and i blew it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 3, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

You say all this but it's clear from your live-posting ITT you watch the Sky feed so lmao at your principles.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Akileese posted:

It is true, but missing like 20-25 percent of the race due to ads is a completely legitimate complaint. Is the coverage really better if you're missing 1/3 of it?
I'll admit it's a difficult decision, they both have issues, but for me the commentators make the sport. A good sport is bad if the commentators are bad. NBC's commentators are pretty good and they've held my interest through a number of objectively bad F1 races. Same with BT and MotoGP, their commentators are top notch, it makes the whole event much more fun to watch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

You say all this but it's clear from your live-posting ITT you watch the Sky feed so lmao at your principles.

Yes, had you actually read this conversation you would have learned that I watch Sky instead of NBC because the Live Extra app frequently crashes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
As terrible as Sky's commentators are at least they have streaming passes now.

My dad who is good and cool pointed out that Sky's commentators are like Christmas Cracker jokes, which will mean nothing to the Americans. Crackers are a tube with a small amount of explosive inside that go bang when you pull them apart. Inside there is a poo poo toy or a poo poo tiny picture frame/sewing kit/tape measure if you get the posh ones, a paper crown, and a joke. The jokes are grade A dad jokes, and it is traditional for your father to make you all read the first part out and everyone has to try and guess the punch line, which no one ever does. The answer is read out to a collective groan. This is a bonding experience for the whole family. Crofty and Brundle are the collective groan of formula 1.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

TSN in canuckistan used to do side-by-side ad breaks, so you'd get the ad on one side of the tv and the race on the other. sound came from the ad, but if anything important happened in the race during the 30 second period where there was an ad you'd still see it and know what was going on when the commentary came back. It was a pretty good system.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

wicka posted:

Some of you are acting like you can't even comprehend the concept of ad breaks, an insanely common and aggressively normal thing.

I like this term, and I'm going to try to use it somehow in everyday life.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'll admit it's a difficult decision, they both have issues, but for me the commentators make the sport. A good sport is bad if the commentators are bad. NBC's commentators are pretty good and they've held my interest through a number of objectively bad F1 races. Same with BT and MotoGP, their commentators are top notch, it makes the whole event much more fun to watch.

I guess I'm ignorant because Canada mostly just has TSN coverage which is riddled with commercial breaks (the kind where the same Infiniti spot is shown literally 3 times in a block of 5 ads) and occasionally the NBC. I remember initially not liking Hobbs/Varsha because they were different than the British voices I was used to, even though I couldn't tell you who they were.

I actually just had to look it up to see what feed TSN picks up, and it seems they had a deal with Sky for 2016. I knew we had Brundle and Croft, I just never knew (or cared) which network they belonged to. Whoever we get next year, it's just what I'm stuck with, including the annoying, but somehow not quite murderous-rage-inducing commercial breaks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Interesting little tidbit, apparently Koenigsegg was originally going to use the Subaru Flat 12 engine as the basis for their sports cars. It's a little bit down in there.

http://koenigsegg.com/ama1-with-cvk-early-years-and-process/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

As terrible as Sky's commentators are at least they have streaming passes now.

My dad who is good and cool pointed out that Sky's commentators are like Christmas Cracker jokes, which will mean nothing to the Americans. Crackers are a tube with a small amount of explosive inside that go bang when you pull them apart. Inside there is a poo poo toy or a poo poo tiny picture frame/sewing kit/tape measure if you get the posh ones, a paper crown, and a joke. The jokes are grade A dad jokes, and it is traditional for your father to make you all read the first part out and everyone has to try and guess the punch line, which no one ever does. The answer is read out to a collective groan. This is a bonding experience for the whole family. Crofty and Brundle are the collective groan of formula 1.

We have these in America.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Does your dad make you guess the colour of your hat? My mum keeps getting the posh ones from Waitrose with gold hats so I have to bring along a set of cheap Tesco ones to keep him happy, plus two sets of jokes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If we're talking commentators, I don't think this has been shared recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khA67-r5lSQ

• Locked thread