Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I didn't pay close enough attention to the Minnesota thing to see how close Claeys was to it.

Minnesota is getting a pretty late start. If they were thinking about firing him, they should have done it a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

Thank you

Plus Claeys was a stopgap (only has a two year contact + $500K buyout), and was not the current AD's hire either.

E: Fleck would supposedly be a candidate, because of course

I'm sad that he isn't going to wreck their program like Flood did ours.

Day wasn't that great at BC to be honest.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FBScoop citing unnamed sources, is saying Fleck isn't going to Minnesota.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DJExile posted:

FBScoop citing unnamed sources, is saying Fleck isn't going to Minnesota.

Well WMU is a better job than Minnesota

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What did Minnesota Coach do? All I remember was idiots doing idiot things and it made me put a lot of confidence points on Washington State (?). It's been a busy few weeks and Christmas seems like a month ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

What did Minnesota Coach do? All I remember was idiots doing idiot things and it made me put a lot of confidence points on Washington State (?). It's been a busy few weeks and Christmas seems like a month ago.

proudly stood by his shithead player boycott threat, managed to only beat rutgers by 2, s'about it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MourningView posted:

Wilson makes sense in that Urban was heavily influenced by Wilson and Randy Walker's offense at Northwestern, but it'd be pretty gross coming so quickly on the tails of him getting fired for player abuse issues. That Indiana fired him in the first place suggests pretty strongly that there was something legit there.

no no no, you just need to execute those 5 plays even HARDER

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Ohio State: Ed Warinner will remain on staff at Ohio State reports Ari Wasserman of Cleveland.com who adds that his role, however, remains unclear.

Guessing pay stays the same but goes back to just coaching line.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Being reported Tennessee OC Mike DeBord is leaving and taking the same position at Indiana. Making room for Helfrich as the new OC?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

proudly stood by his shithead player boycott threat, managed to only beat rutgers by 2, s'about it.

The fact that the boycott even almost happened in the first place suggests a failure of leadership somewhere there

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Being reported Tennessee OC Mike DeBord is leaving and taking the same position at Indiana. Making room for Helfrich as the new OC?

Don't stop I'm almost there

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

The fact that the boycott even almost happened in the first place suggests a failure of leadership somewhere there

Oh no question

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

DJExile posted:

Guessing pay stays the same but goes back to just coaching line.

Pretty much, although they're not going to have to pay Beck anything since his contract is up in April anyways. He's absolutely not going to be the playcaller based on what's been indicated, but whether he goes back to OL is going to be a matter of if anything happens with Studrawa since Warriner is nominally the TE coach right now, not OL. Apparently Urban's been in touch with Day since before the game, so I'm betting we're about to see a number of shifts very very quickly.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Beck is a pretty disappointing hire, not unlike when Charlie Strong brought in Shawn Watson as his initial OC hire. But at least with Watson, Strong had actually worked with him before and they had some significant success together. And Strong had just watched him develop Teddy Bridgewater into a very good pro-style QB. As far as I know, Herman and Beck have never worked together, and it seems like Beck has spent the last couple years undoing whatever magic Herman worked on Ohio State's QBs during his time there.

There is obvious upside to Beck on the recruiting trail, though. He was a HS coach in Texas, and he's been actively recruiting here for Ohio State these last couple years, so he knows the lay of the land very well and he's got established relationships with coaches and recruits in this state. Presumably that includes relationships with some blue chip recruits who don't have a history with Herman or his other staff, because Ohio State can get into a lot of living rooms that are closed to Houston.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 3, 2017

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Who were the other candidates for OC that have experience running Herman's offense? Sounds like a pretty good haul if we end up with Beck, Mehringer, and potentially Drayton. Lots of familiarity and a common idea on offense.

E- I'm also super excited about Beck and maybe Drayton on the recruiting trail.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Pretty much, although they're not going to have to pay Beck anything since his contract is up in April anyways. He's absolutely not going to be the playcaller based on what's been indicated, but whether he goes back to OL is going to be a matter of if anything happens with Studrawa since Warriner is nominally the TE coach right now, not OL. Apparently Urban's been in touch with Day since before the game, so I'm betting we're about to see a number of shifts very very quickly.

Day was confirmed today and all signs point to Kevin Wilson being the new offensive coordinator.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

So instead of going the Randy Shannon route, Houston hired former Texas DB coach Clay Jennings. Picking up any coach responsible for UT's defense this year seems questionable.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Kevin Wilson at OSU is super scary

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
well good to know that Texas will be challenging Georgia for the annual TFF Recruiting Championship!!!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Houston: Athletic director Hunter Yurachek has signed a new 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dave Clawson has been extended at Wake Forest through 2024.

E: and Claeys is officially done at Minnesota.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 3, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/816403258851803136

I mean, I'm not a big fan of Mandel or anything, but I kinda wonder if he tweets this if he doesn't know that there's interest in Fleck

E: Craig Bohl's name also being tossed out there

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Komet posted:

Kevin Wilson at OSU is super scary

I'm concerned about the circumstances of his firing but from a football standpoint it's a home run hire especially with how bad the offense looked this year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

Well Claeys publicly supported his possible players' boycotting of the Holiday Bowl, and then it came out that the ten players who were suspended had more than likely:

A) Committed sexual assault
B) Knew that sexual assault was occurring and did nothing
C) Both A and B
D) A, B, and C while a 17-year-old recruit was in the apartment

That was...not a wise decision. Once the details came out one recruit de-committed from Minnesota on the advice of his parents, and apparently there were more reconsidering going to the university.

In the end, Claeys really forced the university's hand in publicly challenging the authority of both the Athletic Director and President, and in a Title IX case on top of it.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 3, 2017

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

buddhanc posted:

Who were the other candidates for OC that have experience running Herman's offense? Sounds like a pretty good haul if we end up with Beck, Mehringer, and potentially Drayton. Lots of familiarity and a common idea on offense.

E- I'm also super excited about Beck and maybe Drayton on the recruiting trail.

I would've probably preferred to see Gilbert & Mattox's "Veer and Shoot (Tom Herman Remix)" climbing the charts next year. It's a run-first smashmouth spread system that has a lot in common with what Herman does. And where it does diverge from Herman, I like those divergences better than Beck's. Gilbert and Mattox have a little twist of air raid in there. Best as I can tell, Beck's more pro-style and he doesn't employ the vertical passing game nearly as much. But yes, there is reason to think that Beck, Mehringer and Drayton overseen by Herman will produce a solid offense. And with those guys on staff our recruiting could be straight bonkers next year, especially if we have a decent record and/or finish the season with some momentum.

Korranus posted:

So instead of going the Randy Shannon route, Houston hired former Texas DB coach Clay Jennings. Picking up any coach responsible for UT's defense this year seems questionable.

Yeah, I gotta tell you I think the DBs were by far the worst unit on either side of the ball in 2016. And they rapidly improved from "god loving awful" to merely "not good" as soon as Strong reassigned them to Bedford. Just based on last year, my current assessment of Clay Jennings is that he is the worst, most garbagest DB coach. Your mileage may vary, though. I think Arky fans liked him well enough when he was there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/816403258851803136

I mean, I'm not a big fan of Mandel or anything, but I kinda wonder if he tweets this if he doesn't know that there's interest in Fleck

E: Craig Bohl's name also being tossed out there

Bohl makes more sense to me. He built NDSU with Minnesota recruits and Fleck is very Tim Brewstery in terms of personality, which I could see being a turnoff to that athletic department even if he has a way better resume. Bohl is like a better version of Kill in a lot of ways and, gendo aside, I think Kill was a nice fit there

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 3, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Bohl makes more sense to me. He built NDSU with Minnesota recruits and Fleck is very Tim Brewstery in terms of personality, even if he has a way better resume. Bohl is like a better version of Kill in a lot of ways and, gendo aside, I think Kill was a nice fit there
Honestly Jerry Kill exceeded all expectations at Minnesota. He built a team that was consistently competitive, and that's really the ceiling for most "Power Five" teams outside of the big-name schools.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Plus Bohl's NDSU teams beat Minnesota what, three times?

E: Twice. Did my homework

2006 - 10-9 W
2007 - 21-27 L
2011 - 24-37 L

I think I saw only one game vs. SDSU and Minnesota won \/

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 4, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

Plus Bohl's NDSU teams beat Minnesota what, three times?

Twice but I think they also lost to either regular North Dakota or South Dakota St at some point

E: actually ND was D2 until pretty recently so it wouldn't be them, must have just been the two to NDSU

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 4, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Claeys has officially been fired. The A.D. said in a statement that - from the looks of it - the main factor was Claeys privately agreeing to the suspensions without complaint and then publicly supporting the players when they started the practice boycott. No doubt that would have left university leadership absolutely flat-footed since they were under the assumption that Claeys had no issues with the suspensions of the ten players.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/816425169531047936

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

This makes firing Claeys seem like a no brainer. Sounds like a disaster no matter what. Let whoever wants to transfer leave and give the new coach carte blanche to remake the program.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Note that the player didn't want his name revealed because lmao at any member of the football team who thinks he's going to proudly come out to the public and talk about how awful the university is after it was revealed what the ten players did.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
What a retardo hill to die on

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

What a retardo hill to die on
Apparently Mitch Leidner has come out and said that he can't think of anybody that would want to play football for "this administration". You know, he might want to shut the gently caress up given his status a marginal NFL prospect. The more he talks about standing up for a bunch of teammates who probably took part in a rape locomotive the more I'm sure NFL front offices would just love to have him be a part of the team and have to answer questions about their Emergency QB.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

Note that the player didn't want his name revealed because lmao at any member of the football team who thinks he's going to proudly come out to the public and talk about how awful the university is after it was revealed what the ten players did.

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/816420380634185728

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/816420640454541312

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

minnesota to poach the Rutgers OC

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah I'd noticed that a couple of minutes before you posted. Unless he and a bunch of the players know something that the entire Title IX investigation didn't uncover this is such a weird thing to fight to the death about.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

College kids picking a stupid hill to die on in protest is pretty much "film at 11" territory, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

College kids picking a stupid hill to die on in protest is pretty much "film at 11" territory, really
I understand this, but this one is unusually dumb. I mean, it's right there in the report that a shitload of players had their way with a woman and their only saving grace w/r/t criminal charges appears to be "Well your honor she didn't explicitly yell NO while we were in the middle of jerking off on her face so we thought it was all good."

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 4, 2017

• Locked thread