Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah yeah, i'm telling you they're finally making a bg&e2 and we're totally gonna make a big deal out of it AND we're gonna finally release mother 3 [muffled sounds of reggie laughing barely perceptible on laura's end of the phone conversation]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
BGE2 is going to be a visual novel

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

s.i.r.e. posted:

As someone who enjoys stupid action films, tons of CGI and stupid plots Jurassic World is a turd. Jurassic Park films have likeable characters and Jurassic World only has one, so you have 2 hours of dumb characters doing dumb poo poo but you don't care for any of them and everyone except Chris Pratt should have been eaten 5 minutes into the film. They should have also cut an hour out of it to make it thing watchable.

See what i mean folks

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the second good star wars movie is rogue one

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Super No Vacancy posted:

good star wars movie

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bg&e2 is here. also geno's in it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the cool part about jurassic park was the early stuff where everyone actually reacts to 'holy poo poo we found out how to clone dinosaurs' with amazement and awe, it did a good job of humanizing the characters and helped put the adults on equal footing with the kids in what they were seeing and experiencing

jurassic world didn't have that stuff so it just came off like a mediocre action movie

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ahhh yes, that totally unhateable Jurrasic World. The modern classic film that combines Anakin Skywalker level child acting, made up dinosaurs that even the movie itself calls itself out on, and Chris Pratt jumping the shark.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i've watched jurassic park a lot and everything up until right after the trex scene is super good. from after the trex escape onward... :whitewater:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

oddium posted:

i've watched jurassic park a lot and everything up until right after the trex scene is super good. from after the trex escape onward... :whitewater:

I will not sit here and let you speak about Samuel L Jacksons arms' scene like this

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh sorry that rules yeah

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

oddium posted:

Yea JP kinda blows its load with the T-Rex escape and afterward the movie is like "well I guess we need to get these people back in the same place so they can escape."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I will not sit here and let you speak about Samuel L Jacksons arms' scene like this

also the part where newman got owned

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheScott2K posted:

I didn't like how that one lady got eaten. She was just doing her job and was planning a wedding. Bryce Dallas Howard's character should be in prison in the sequel.

It was kinda hosed up that the only really gruesome death in the movie happened to that lady. The cowards and corrupt people who caused all the mess got off with quick and painless deaths, the lady who was a bit of a bridezilla and wouldn't let her fiance have a bachelor party got a 30 second long sequence where she died horribly. Combine that with businesswoman's arc about how she can't be happy unless she settles for whatever man will have her and pops out some kids, I think it's fair to call Jurassic World Problematic

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like the part in Jurassic park where Lena is about to stab Daisy, but a velociraptor named Yoshi uses its super long tongue to save her.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It was kinda hosed up that the only really gruesome death in the movie happened to that lady. The cowards and corrupt people who caused all the mess got off with quick and painless deaths, the lady who was a bit of a bridezilla and wouldn't let her fiance have a bachelor party got a 30 second long sequence where she died horribly. Combine that with businesswoman's arc about how she can't be happy unless she settles for whatever man will have her and pops out some kids, I think it's fair to call Jurassic World Problematic

Naw Kingpin got raptored pretty bad.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jurassic World also has a team of specially trained anti-dinosaur soldiers. But they're in the movie for like 30 seconds. You gotta have a lot of faith in your story and characters to include special ops dinosaur killers and not make the movie about that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
JW is bad miles before you get anywhere near it's also-bad gender politics.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i havent followed this since like, the announced it

what good poo poo have i missed

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

It really seems like the movie expects you to hate her, but they never really give you a reason to. Like her death was supposed to be comical or something, but they forgot to make her a horrible person so it was just really sad.

I also didn't like how the movie basically has no idea what to do with those two kids for 30 minutes so they just put them in a dinosaur-proof box.

Jurassic World is a good movie of you only see it once and maybe you've got a few drinks in you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

Literally nothing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i see. are these leaks or whatever im hearing about possibly real or probably not

i may just ignore this stuff until the nintendo direct

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

eonwe posted:

i made some funny deak stuff

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

i see. are these leaks or whatever im hearing about possibly real or probably not

Possibly real, but the event is next week so who cares just ignore it all until the 12th.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

eonwe posted:

BGE2 has been rumoured to be getting the Bayonetta 2 treatment by Nintendo for much longer then Switch was a thing. So Im inclined to believe it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Another reason JW sucks is that this screenplay existed and never happened:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/18166

quote:

I spent the entire first act of the script thinking I had it figured out. I knew where it was going. Problem was, every time I thought I had it figured out, something happened that seemed to change the entire premise of the movie.
The script starts at a Little League game somewhere in America, an idyllic scene that quickly goes bad when pterosaurs attack the kids and their parents. It’s a cool scene, and I couldn’t help but immediately anticipate what might lay ahead. Dinosaurs in America. All-out warfare on home soil. This should be fun. In a series of television clips, we learn that this is the first attack on North American ground following months of this sort of thing in Central America and Mexico. The UN has created a task force to exterminate the dinosaurs. Awesome, I thought. A bad-rear end heavily-armed United Nations task force versus the dinosaurs. Bring it on! But then the script throws its first major curve ball, introducing Nick Harris, an unemployed soldier of fortune. Nick’s the lead in the movie. Not Alan Grant. Not Ian Malcolm. Despite all the rumors to the contrary, those characters are not back for this film. Instead, we meet Nick as he watches those same reports on TV that we are. He’s approached by an ex-commander of his and offered a meeting about a job. He’s warned that the guy he’d be working for is a little bit strange...

... which brings us to John Hammond. It’s a great cameo role for Richard Attenborough, and he’s said several times that he is looking forward to it. In the script’s single wittiest scene, we catch up with the eccentric ex-billionaire who is now the most-sued man in history according to the Guiness Book Of World Records. He’s been declared incompetent by his heirs and his company has been taken over by other corporations. Technically, Jurassic Park isn’t even his problem anymore, but he still feels responsible for the dinosaurs and the damage they do. Hammond’s got a big idea: breed some new dinosaurs that can’t reproduce and introduce them into the wild population. A Judas strain that will kill off the dinosaurs within one generation. Easy enough, except the UN has outlawed any breeding of new dinosaurs by anyone and they’ve prohibited the sale, mining, or possession of amber worldwide. Hammond’s got scientists ready and waiting to go, but he needs genetic material to work with. As soon as Hammond mentions where that material might come from, I thought for sure that I was ahead of the script again. Oh, of course! The shaving cream can that Nedry stole. He’s going to hire this guy to put together a team of mercenaries, and they’re going to spend the whole film on Isla Nublar getting picked off one-by-one while trying to find the samples.
After all, the first three films are all pretty much carbon copies of each other, excuses to turn people loose on the island. I almost set the script down at that point, disappointed that they’d do something so predictable again after all this talk about how they were going to turn things upside down. Page sixteen, and I was sure I knew the rest of the script without even reading it.
But I was wrong... again.

Nick Harris does indeed got to Isla Nublar, but he goes alone. He does indeed track down the shaving cream can that Nedry stole, but that’s a mere five pages later. And as soon as he finds it, he’s attacked not only by excavaraptors (think trapdoor spiders), but also by security rangers who work for Grendel Corporation, the mysterious Swiss holding company that took over Jurassic Park from Hammond. Seems they want those genetic samples for their own purposes... whatever those may be. Nick has to get off the island, evading his pursuers, human or otherwise. He manages to make it back to the mainland just long enough to hide the shaving cream can before the security team catches up with him and gasses him into unconsciousness.

All of that happens by page 39, at which point I realized I had no idea where this thing was going, and I quit trying to guess. It kept confounding my expectations. It certainly didn’t feel like it was just another rehash of the same formula. When Nick wakes up, he’s in the tower of a medieval castle in the Alps. Seriously. That’s the precise moment when the entire enterprise goes so over-the-top loony that you’ll either go along with it for the entire insane ride or reject it roundly as a big bag of ludicrous. Nick is introduced to Adrien Joyce, the major domo henchman of Baron von Drax, CEO of the Grendel Corporation. Joyce isn’t a moustache-twirling bad guy bent on torturing Nick into revealing where he hid the shaving cream can. Instead, he offers Nick a job, and in order to explain the job to him, he has to take him on a tour of the entire castle, which turns out to be a fairly sophisticated genetics lab where Grendel Corporation has been breeding some dinosaurs of their own design, cross-breeds that never existed in any era of nature with all sorts of custom modifications.

I want to tread lightly on what happens over the course of the rest of the film on the off chance that Mary Parent or someone at Universal is seriously going to make this thing. There’s the eight-year-old-boy side of me that thinks that a DIRTY DOZEN-style mercenary team of hyper-smart dinosaurs in body armor killing drug dealers and rescuing kidnapped children will be impossible to resist. And then there’s the side of me that says... WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! Nick is put in charge of training these five dinosaurs, X1 through X5, and the first thing he does is name them. “Any soldier worth his pay has a name to answer to, not a number,” he says. So we are introduced to Achilles, Hector, Perseus, Orestes, and Spartacus, each of them a specially created deinonychus, which is sort of like a miniature T-rex. They have super-sensitive smell and hearing, incredible strength and speed and pack-hunting instincts, and they have modified forelegs, lengthened and topped with more dextrous fingers, as well as dog DNA for increased obedience and human DNA so they can solve problems well. All of this is topped off with a drug-regulating implant that can dose them with adrenaline or serotonin as the situation demands.
And go ahead. Look at the calendar. We’re a long, long way from April 1st right now.

By the end of the film, there are set pieces that are much, much bigger than anything we’ve seen in the other films, and much crazier. They’re all well-written, and there’s a glee to the bloodletting that you have to admire. There’s also a blatant set-up for a JURASSIC PARK 5 that is just too good for the studio to pass up. That is, of course, if they actually decide to make this one.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

eonwe posted:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bringing it back to video games, I have wanted a Far Cry style open world set in overrun Jurassic Park 10 years later. I got Far Cry Primal which was a thing, but full Jurassic Park would be great.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Whole lot of bad opinions about the awesome dinosaur movie ITT

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

Bringing it back to video games, I have wanted a Far Cry style open world set in overrun Jurassic Park 10 years later. I got Far Cry Primal which was a thing, but full Jurassic Park would be great.

Would this work better with the Turok franchise?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Bombadilillo posted:

She has been 100% on Switch so far, including breaking...everything about it.

she was wrong about Breath of the Wild being delayed what do you say about that huh huh

In news that is not based on rumors, Bioware confirmed in an interview that they're not doing the Switch. As of yet, anyway.

quote:

Gamble also shot down plans for a version of Andromeda on Nintendo’s hybrid console, the Switch.

“Yeah, not right now, no,” he said. “We’re not planning on it. If the Switch launches and everyone’s just yammering for Mass Effect, who knows.

“We never want to close doors like that.”

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Far Cry Style I should say. Open world, Dinos running around that you can hunt. Don't care about the name,

A not-poo poo Turok would be great.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Rexroom posted:

In news that is not based on rumors, Bioware confirmed in an interview that they're not doing the Switch. As of yet, anyway.

Because, you know, it can't run Andromeda.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheScott2K posted:

Because, you know, it can't run Andromeda.

the Switch has a special chip that will only let it run good games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brother Entropy posted:

the cool part about jurassic park was the early stuff where everyone actually reacts to 'holy poo poo we found out how to clone dinosaurs' with amazement and awe, it did a good job of humanizing the characters and helped put the adults on equal footing with the kids in what they were seeing and experiencing

jurassic world didn't have that stuff so it just came off like a mediocre action movie

I like how the bad guy's plot is to sell dinosaurs to the military. War dogs are still a thing why would anyone give a poo poo about that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Macaluso posted:

Whole lot of bad opinions about the awesome dinosaur movie ITT

Yeah, yours.

greatn posted:

Probably, because Turok doesn't limit itself to just dinos, but cybernetic dinos, demons and aliens. Turok owns, such a shame there's only two good games and the rest dragged the name through the mud until it died.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how the bad guy's plot is to sell dinosaurs to the military. War dogs are still a thing why would anyone give a poo poo about that.

Because a T-rex/Raptor hybrid is loving terrifying?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, yours.

Nuh uh, yours!!!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

That's what bugs me about the Alien movies. Every loving Alien movie teases the idea of the Aliens being used as a weapon by the military, but they never actually do that. Every Alien movie is the same, oh what's that weird thing, oh no it turns out it's an alien, now there's aliens loose, run away from the aliens, shoot the aliens, OK we killed the Alien. The trailer for Alien 6: Prometheus 2 made me groan because it's the exact same loving thing. Go ahead and make the drat military alien movie already, at least it'll be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

greatn posted:

The last reboot ensured that no one would ever want another Turok game.

• Locked thread