Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
While it's charging on nightstand mode, just tap your nightstand or something. The watch will wake briefly. Look at the top left right corner. There's your battery charge level.

This is simple, why are you over-complicating it?

Or, as you are wearing it, just swipe up from the bottom to see the charge level.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
There's always one hosed up goon.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

hey girl you up posted:

No, while it's charging.

I don't use nightstand mode, and if there's another way to see the battery I'd prefer to do that first. I guess I'll do it if it's the only option and let my watch keep the ceiling updated on the time.

I don't always have my phone on me.

Surely "battery percent while charging" is not privileged information. It isn't on the phone.

Tapping the green lightning bolt, swiping up or down, or hitting any of the side buttons don't help. I don't remember if I forcefully touched it or not.

lol ok you're the elusive extreme edge case user :jerkbag:

Ok, I'll bite why do you need to know the battery status of your watch but aren't able to use one of the dozen or so methods of doing so?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ok, I'll bite why do you need to know the battery status of your watch but aren't able to use one of the dozen or so methods of doing so?
The extreme edge case of "using the watch on default settings" and "wanting to quickly know the battery status of a charging device on that device", truly the gooniest of requests.

I don't know dude, I was asked the question by a family member, tried to figure it out myself, couldn't, googled it, found nothing, got curious, and posted here. I figured there's a better answer than:

1. Just unlock the watch
2. Check on your phone instead
3. Change your settings to enable nightstand mode
4-12. I can't find these but I'll take your word for it!

It's an apple device. They usually have nice ways do to stuff like this. I figured it was a quick thing I was overlooking, not "you're using it wrong :jerkbag:".

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just unlock the god drat watch.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

hey girl you up posted:

The extreme edge case of "using the watch on default settings" and "wanting to quickly know the battery status of a charging device on that device", truly the gooniest of requests.

I don't know dude, I was asked the question by a family member, tried to figure it out myself, couldn't, googled it, found nothing, got curious, and posted here. I figured there's a better answer than:

1. Just unlock the watch
2. Check on your phone instead
3. Change your settings to enable nightstand mode
4-12. I can't find these but I'll take your word for it!

It's an apple device. They usually have nice ways do to stuff like this. I figured it was a quick thing I was overlooking, not "you're using it wrong :jerkbag:".

Nightstand mode (which I believe is on by default) simply requires you to sit the watch on its side, when you want to check the charge status you merely tap the watch or the surface it is on. Why this is a bridge too far for you is beyond me.

"Guys how do I do thing."

>lists several ways of doing it

"No no this won't do at all."

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Nightstand mode (which I believe is on by default) simply requires you to sit the watch on its side, when you want to check the charge status you merely tap the watch or the surface it is on. Why this is a bridge too far for you is beyond me.

"Guys how do I do thing."

>lists several ways of doing it

"No no this won't do at all."
Nightstand mode is not on by default. It's not a bridge too far, I just assumed there's a better answer for people who don't use nightstand mode because they have a charger that rests the watch face-up. It's beyond me that you don't think it's a little weird and user-unfriendly that if you buy a new apple watch, follow the on-screen directions to set it up, put it on a charger, and come back an hour later, you cannot see the battery status without first entering a password or using another device. I recommend apple devices to family members so I don't have to tell them "no you have to change <unexpected setting> to do <simple thing x>."

Anyway, I had an idea and the easier answer is: pick up the watch and put it back on the charger, and it'll show the charge. Thanks for inspiring me to figure it out, Apple Watch Thread.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

lol holy poo poo

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

hey girl you up posted:

Nightstand mode is not on by default. It's not a bridge too far, I just assumed there's a better answer for people who don't use nightstand mode because they have a charger that rests the watch face-up. It's beyond me that you don't think it's a little weird and user-unfriendly that if you buy a new apple watch, follow the on-screen directions to set it up, put it on a charger, and come back an hour later, you cannot see the battery status without first entering a password or using another device. I recommend apple devices to family members so I don't have to tell them "no you have to change <unexpected setting> to do <simple thing x>."

Anyway, I had an idea and the easier answer is: pick up the watch and put it back on the charger, and it'll show the charge. Thanks for inspiring me to figure it out, Apple Watch Thread.

You're welcome 😊

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Use the battery complication on whatever watch face you're using. It shows battery level, even when locked!

Hell use the x large watch face and set the complication there if you need it really big even.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guys how can I get the watch to tell me the time without turning on the display?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, battery life on mine is so good, I don't even think to look at it ever.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
If you're stressing out about the battery level but you're charging it every day and not running a marathon in workout mode, I can promise you that there are better things to worry about.

For everyone else one of the numerous other solutions or simply unlocking it will suffice.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Ok - I thought we already said no to watch cases. Even trendy edge cases.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not a single one of you dorks thought
[quote="hey girl you up" post=""467922927"]the easier answer is: pick up the watch and put it back on the charger, and it'll show the charge.
[/quote]
That's kind of sad, but pretty Goony.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, battery life on mine is so good, I don't even think to look at it ever.

Seriously, I end most days of moderate-heavy use around 75-80%.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Seriously, I end most days of moderate-heavy use around 75-80%.

I came from having a Moto 360 v1 to a series 2 Apple Watch. I am still having battery anxiety from that goddamn thing dying almost half way through a day. I'm always shocked when I look in the evening and I'm sitting around 75%. What the gently caress, it's magical.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I just used Pokémon Go for a 10 hour shift at work constantly running on my Apple Watch and I still ended the day at 30%. Battery life is extremely good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm also happy with battery life, but I am cautious. I was at my parents' for the holidays and plugged my watch in overnight but forgot there was a wall switch I needed to turn on to power the socket. I checked battery before bed and it was 65-something, but when I woke up the watch was in battery starvation mode. Not sure exactly what it tried to do overnight but I've been cautious ever since. I can't say I've been at all worried enough to try and replicate the results but I guess it'd be easy enough to do.

I wouldn't expect to get more than a day's use out of it anyway, but that one incident sort of made me worry that maybe we're (I'm?) seeing some kind of weird dropoff at some point, like battery will be 80, 75, 70, 65, 60, and then plummet to 15% and throw a fit.

But again, that was completely anecdotal and since I plug in every night I don't really care either way. I was perfectly happy with my expectations of battery life BEFORE we got the great battery update so even in the unlikely scenario where the battery life HASN'T gotten better and it's just being misrepresented then I'm really no worse for wear.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Endless Mike posted:

I ended up turning off the battery complication on my S1 since I never had an issue getting a full days worth of battery.

That being said, I don't wear my watch in bed so it would get recharged every night.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I use the watch to check notifications and I end the day some days at 5%, battery life not good

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

robodex posted:

I use the watch to check notifications and I end the day some days at 5%, battery life not good

Get your defective poo poo replaced at :allbuttons: DA FRUIT STAND:allbuttons:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

robodex posted:

Have you updated to 3.1? I just spent 3 days at my mom's house for Christmas without my charger, turned the watch off overnight, and got home with like 40%+ battery left.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Now that I've had the watch (38mm series 2 sport) since Friday...

- I like the notifications. I used to pull out my phone whenever I got a new email or message to check it. Now it just shows up here.
- Tried my first phone call using the watch, which was neat.
- Having the camera remote function is really cool since I like shooting video with my 7 Plus.
- Battery life is impressive. While I'm fiddling with it more right now, my last charge was Sunday night and I'm still at 30%
- The activity function is really neat. I was using Human on my phone, but this is more accurate. Today I was out on an on-site job and was pleased to finally meet my goals.
- Calendar is really handy. I imported my work calendar, so now I can easily check my schedule.
- The stand reminder sounded dumb at first, but I can get fairly distracted by my work without taking a break. Not a bad idea.
- The watch and band are quite comfortable. I like not having a sweaty wrist after a day of wearing it, plus it doesn't feel odd or anything.

Overall, I'm really satisfied with how useful it is so far, besides being fun.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 4, 2017

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I'm also happy with battery life, but I am cautious. I was at my parents' for the holidays and plugged my watch in overnight but forgot there was a wall switch I needed to turn on to power the socket. I checked battery before bed and it was 65-something, but when I woke up the watch was in battery starvation mode. Not sure exactly what it tried to do overnight but I've been cautious ever since. I can't say I've been at all worried enough to try and replicate the results but I guess it'd be easy enough to do.

I wouldn't expect to get more than a day's use out of it anyway, but that one incident sort of made me worry that maybe we're (I'm?) seeing some kind of weird dropoff at some point, like battery will be 80, 75, 70, 65, 60, and then plummet to 15% and throw a fit.

But again, that was completely anecdotal and since I plug in every night I don't really care either way. I was perfectly happy with my expectations of battery life BEFORE we got the great battery update so even in the unlikely scenario where the battery life HASN'T gotten better and it's just being misrepresented then I'm really no worse for wear.
Power your watch off and on. I've noticed that, after a while, my battery will suddenly turn to poo poo and need a refresh. Granted, it's only happened to me like...twice in four months, but if you're about to leave for a trip or something then it's wise to try that beforehand.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone using any Couch to 5K app on their watch? I've been working on running for a month and change now, but just realized that there's a bunch of C25K apps that have watch counterparts.

Wondering how/if they integrate into the workout tracker. Like if I start a C25K session, is the watch smart enough to know that I'm starting a workout and track it appropriately?

I'm all about the gamification of my fitness lately (and it's really worked) so anything I can do to actually get that to add up with the minimum of fuss is great.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

enojy posted:

Have you updated to 3.1? I just spent 3 days at my mom's house for Christmas without my charger, turned the watch off overnight, and got home with like 40%+ battery left.

Yeah I honestly have no clue. I'm on the latest OS and I don't really use the watch for much aside from notifications; I don't even track workouts with it. It seems to be worse when I'm at work since days I'm home all day it tends to fare better.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Is anyone using any Couch to 5K app on their watch? I've been working on running for a month and change now, but just realized that there's a bunch of C25K apps that have watch counterparts.

Wondering how/if they integrate into the workout tracker. Like if I start a C25K session, is the watch smart enough to know that I'm starting a workout and track it appropriately?

I'm all about the gamification of my fitness lately (and it's really worked) so anything I can do to actually get that to add up with the minimum of fuss is great.

Runkeeper has similar (if not the same) workout programs and their watch app is pretty good. Unless the app is specifically tied to activity and submitting their data as a workout, it won't show up (the watch will still track some activity but it won't be as detailed)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

robodex posted:

Yeah I honestly have no clue. I'm on the latest OS and I don't really use the watch for much aside from notifications; I don't even track workouts with it. It seems to be worse when I'm at work since days I'm home all day it tends to fare better.

Do you type/move a mouse in such a way that the screen is on for an inordinate amount of time. I had the watch go into low power mode around 1pm one day when all I was doing was driving to Florida. Noticed that the way I had my hand on the wheel had the screen pointing directly at me so I think the screen was on more than it should have been.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Do you type/move a mouse in such a way that the screen is on for an inordinate amount of time. I had the watch go into low power mode around 1pm one day when all I was doing was driving to Florida. Noticed that the way I had my hand on the wheel had the screen pointing directly at me so I think the screen was on more than it should have been.

Maybe :( I don't notice it but it's possible?

I mean TECHNICALLY it still lasts all day but it'd be nice to sometimes be able to forget to plug it in at night and still be able to use it until I get to work in the morning.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Has anyone tried syncing music with their Watch? Taking a lot of time to sync my playlist of 40+ songs.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah it takes a long time in my experience

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Made the mistake of checking out the black Milanese Loop today. Man, that's a nice looking band. What the gently caress am I saying? Or typing, rather? I feel like I'm into jewelry all of a sudden, except it's a band for a nerd watch.

My "midrange" knockoff is holding up well about two weeks in, although it is clearly black compared to the polished gunmetal look of the real thing. The magnet also seems to be stripping microscopic bits of the black whenever it slips, so I'm expecting this thing to look like a mess conveniently around my birthday so I'll have a decent excuse to buy the genuine article.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have both the official loop from apple ($125) and a knock off from Amazon ($20), and they both are identical to the point I can't tell them apart. The magnet doing the slipping thing happens on them both the exact same way.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

enojy posted:

Made the mistake of checking out the black Milanese Loop today. Man, that's a nice looking band. What the gently caress am I saying? Or typing, rather? I feel like I'm into jewelry all of a sudden, except it's a band for a nerd watch.

My "midrange" knockoff is holding up well about two weeks in, although it is clearly black compared to the polished gunmetal look of the real thing. The magnet also seems to be stripping microscopic bits of the black whenever it slips, so I'm expecting this thing to look like a mess conveniently around my birthday so I'll have a decent excuse to buy the genuine article.

It's the classic Apple Watch band first world problem.

You can get a band. You know that no one on earth will understand that it's fake. There's no actual reason to get the real one, except you will always know.

This is especially true with the black milanese and the black link bracelet because it's impossible to replicate the look or feel of the process they use. No third party would ever pay for that process even if they could theoretically do it.

So you get into a weird head space of "what's more important, me knowing it's fake or other people thinking it's real, and if I buy this knockoff it's 90% cheaper and 95% accurate".

It's a bizarre consumer first world dilemma to be sure.

LorneReams posted:

I have both the official loop from apple ($125) and a knock off from Amazon ($20), and they both are identical to the point I can't tell them apart. The magnet doing the slipping thing happens on them both the exact same way.

The silver ones actually are identical. In fact, my knockoff silver milanese is actually better than the official one because the magnet is stronger. The only real difference is that the knockoffs always seem to be slightly more narrow than the official ones (on the milanese) such that there is a bit of lateral play where the band connects to the little piece that attaches it to the watch. It's really the only way to know the diff.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 5, 2017

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Taima posted:

The silver ones actually are identical. In fact, my knockoff silver milanese is actually better than the official one because the magnet is stronger.
Link please.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

I get around the knowing I'm wearing a fake band thing by only buying fake bands in colors apple doesn't make. Like a gold shark mesh, or a metallic blue Milanese. They also look rad as heck.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Bum the Sad posted:

Link please.

Sure, I actually bought two different ones just to see which was superior and this was the better one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013DXERB8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does the black milanese look with a (silver, white, whatever) stainless steel watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Taima posted:

Sure, I actually bought two different ones just to see which was superior and this was the better one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013DXERB8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is one I have and it's just as good as the real deals I have seen.

• Locked thread