Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chad Ford's mock is up and has Philly taking Fultz #1 and Monk #4 and holy poo poo I want to see that team with Embiid and Simmons.

If you aren't watching these guys in college they are playmaking machines with scoring galore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Will Elfrid Payton ever live up to his rookie hype?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

My boy is the best boy (further evidence: the video of him crying in front of a crowd of Serbians chanting his name after his heroics in the Olympics)

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Will Elfrid Payton ever live up to his rookie hype?

He basically has, a PG who can't shoot. Unfortunately for him the league tilted even further towards shooting.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Was Javale's new haircut posted yet

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lord have mercy he did the Chambers RIP that dude

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

kiimo posted:

Chad Ford's mock is up and has Philly taking Fultz #1 and Monk #4 and holy poo poo I want to see that team with Embiid and Simmons.

If you aren't watching these guys in college they are playmaking machines with scoring galore.
Monk is a scoring machine with playmaking gore

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

not CSPAM

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

He walked up that dude didnt he

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Athanatos posted:

He walked up that dude didnt he
Someone dub stairway to heaven over that

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

God dammit of all the lovely loving bulls games I've sat through and this one I didn't even know was on.

Heh...

Lockback posted:

I don't see how a team of Beverly/Gordon/Ariza/Anderson/Capela is a .500 team at all, I'd think that team would be closer to the Mavericks. Maybe a .333 win percentage. Guys like Gordon, Ariza and Capela are having good seasons BECAUSE of Harden. You start asking those guys to carry the team I think they all turn into pumpkins.

I'd take the rest of OKC over the rest of Houston.

Gordon is the #2 3P shooter in the whole league. I don't think it can all be from Harden.

Tae posted:

Pull a chad ford and edit your predictions when no one's looking years later

The whole ESPN site has done odd stuff over the years. I swear they changed a whole slate of votes one year. I think it was in 2011 when dozens of the experts had LAL dominating DAL in the 2011 playoffs and then we got http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2011-nba-western-conference-semifinals-mavericks-vs-lakers.html

I went back a few months later and they'd all switched to DAL.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Blind Pineapple posted:

With Russell Westbrook averaging 31/10/10 into January, you'd think that would break some of the advanced stats. He's leading PER by a little bit, is running away with BPM on a record-setting pace, and has a healthy lead on VORP. In WS and WS/48, he's 10 or so, and Harden's leading the league in both.

...Harden has a much higher OWS (6.2 to Russ's 3.6, which puts Russ at 12th (!) in OWS). So it's the offensive part of win shares that favors Harden.

A lot of people have already responded but I'll add some more.

RW has an eFG% of 46.6% this year. That's not good. WS penalizes him for his subpar FG shooting. PER and BPM don't mind the inefficiency as much and give more credit to RW's USG% of 42.2%. VORP is just BPM (taking minutes into account).

RW is #3 in the league in FT production (FT - .44 * FTA) behind James Harden and Jimmy Butler. However his FGNP (PTS - FT - FGA) is within the bottom ten of the entire league:

code:
FGNP	Player
-38	Derrick Rose
-38	Malcolm Delaney
-39	Dwyane Wade
-42	Frank Kaminsky
-44	Brandon Knight
-44	Marcus Smart
-47	Ish Smith
-47	Rajon Rondo
-53	Emmanuel Mudiay
-57	Russell Westbrook
-59	Kent Bazemore
-59	Justise Winslow
-62	Devin Booker
-68	Brandon Ingram
-72	Andrew Harrison
That's why high volume inefficient guys never lead the league in WS (and usually don't come close). Kobe never even made the top 3 in WS in any season because of this.

If RW was currently shooting great from the field like Kyle Lowry, Stephen Curry or Giannis Antetokounmpo he'd be on track for a 20+ WS season and a strong favorite for MVP (considering OKC would be winning a ton of games if he shot like that).

G-Hawk posted:

Jimmy Butler's game score last night was the 9th highest of all time, 3rd highest since 1994. James Harden's NYE game was #25 all time.

http://bkref.com/tiny/6j6ua

It's a guarantee he wouldn't have done that with Rondo dribbling around fishing for sad assists all night.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Zogo posted:

It's a guarantee he wouldn't have done that with Rondo dribbling around fishing for sad assists all night.
52 points on 20 FGA is absolutely nuts.

There wasn't individual game logs until 1964, so I'm curious what kind of Game Score Wilt's 100-point or 55-rebound games would have racked up.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
That Giannis article is great.

quote:

The first time Kidd benched him, Antetokounmpo was irate. €œI was like, €˜Let'€™s see what this guy did in his career, anyway,’ ” Antetokounmpo recounts, and called up Kidd’s bio on his phone. €œI saw Rookie of the Year, NBA championship, USA Olympic gold medal, second in assists, fifth in made threes, blah, blah, blah. I was like, Jesus freaking Christ, how can I compete with that? I better zip it.€

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Why did the copy paste gently caress up

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hand Row posted:

He basically has, a PG who can't shoot. Unfortunately for him the league tilted even further towards shooting.

Yeah when he can go against a team that can't stop penetration he suddenly looks like an easy future all-star. He looks useless, otherwise.

Unfortunately we're at a point right now where only about half the teams in the league play defense poorly enough for him to do his thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

Why did the copy paste gently caress up

Some sites have different quotation marks and apostrophes that get hosed up on SA.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Him not knowing who Kidd is makes me feel old asf

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the_american_dream posted:

Him not knowing who Kidd is makes me feel old asf
Well given that Giannia grew up in Greece it's not entirely surprising that he didn't know who Kidd was unless he was following the NBA from an early age. Hell most of us were just kids when Kidd turned pro.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
It's been like 1 minute of court time with Embiid and Noel and I already think it could really work in limited minutes.

So much more fluid and dynamic than when Okafor is on the court.

e: this isn't the GDT. Oh well

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 4, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah that one play made me say "Trade Jah" and I'm not even kidding.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

aBagorn posted:

So much more fluid and dynamic than when Okafor is on the court.
Okafor is basically Al Jefferson. Any up-tempo team will be a bad fit for him.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That quote on Kidd is hilarious.

"Who does this guy think he is? Oh shittt"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

That quote on Kidd is hilarious.

"Who does this guy think he is? Oh shittt"
I wonder if any Kansas Jayhwak players went through the same thing in the 19XX's when they were coached for a year or two by James Naismith.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

I wonder if any Kansas Jayhwak players went through the same thing in the 19XX's when they were coached for a year or two by James Naismith.

I don't know about this one but when Danny Manning became an assistant coach some players were surprised to find out he played a little ball. Yeah nearly 3000 points in college.

Also when Wilt came to retire his KU jersey when I was in college there were plenty of people who had no idea who he was.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

kiimo posted:

Also when Wilt came to retire his KU jersey when I was in college there were plenty of people who had no idea who he was.
I figure there'd be just as many people who thought, "Wait why the gently caress did Wilt come to Kansas to play college basketball".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For Wilt so loved Phog Allen he practiced for a year and didn't play as a freshmen in the cold racist plains of 1955 Kansas.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh my god JaVale
https://twitter.com/JaValeMcGee34/status/816434112420454400

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

dokmo posted:

Being wrong is okay

In the fast paced world of SAS NBA N/V posting it's hard to recover from that.

EvanTH posted:

I was definitely calling Kevin Durant "The American Giannis" almost immediately but it might have only been in the super secret private basketball thread chat room that only select posters are allowed in.

If you're wondering how to get in to the chat room don't worry it's not a real room this is just a joke I'm making we're not really in there most days :)

Now I really want a reporter to ask Durant about being called "The American Giannis" just to watch him get pissy and have a bad reaction.

Zogo posted:

The whole ESPN site has done odd stuff over the years. I swear they changed a whole slate of votes one year. I think it was in 2011 when dozens of the experts had LAL dominating DAL in the 2011 playoffs and then we got http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2011-nba-western-conference-semifinals-mavericks-vs-lakers.html

I went back a few months later and they'd all switched to DAL.

That's probably correct. A decent amount of ESPN analysts bet against the Mavs every round that year. (The least in the Portland series but that was still one of their more popular first round upset picks.)

Lol that a slowly dying network spends time going back to change incorrect playoff picks instead of creating better content.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Crazy Ted posted:

Well given that Giannia grew up in Greece it's not entirely surprising that he didn't know who Kidd was unless he was following the NBA from an early age. Hell most of us were just kids when Kidd turned pro.

I watched Kidd play when he was a high school junior in the SF pro am. I was sitting in the second row at old Kezar gym. I was like - who the hell is this kid schooling Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond out there?

I'm old as dirt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A lot of new fans came into the NBA when the lebron heats formed, and probably got confused who that old guy was starting at SG next to Barea

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The Timberwolves have turned on Thibs. lmao I was not expecting Sam Mitchell to be a better coach than him, but it is an outcome that I appreciate.

e: for context, from my friend

quote:

So KAT air balled a 3, Thibs immediately called up Bjelica and KAT yelled something like, "that's bullshit tom" and then the camera went to a disgusted thibs

they are currently down double digits to the 76ers

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

jesus christ!!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Holy :stare:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

The Timberwolves have turned on Thibs. lmao I was not expecting Sam Mitchell to be a better coach than him, but it is an outcome that I appreciate.

the tom thibodeau experience

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

straight up brolic posted:

Ricky just tied that poo poo up

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is Zach LaVine good because I need more reasons to hate Gar Forman?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Lockback posted:

Lasted 1.4 seconds :mrapig:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lockback posted:

They just lost it to an alleyoop inbounds with 1 second left on the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/rich_hofmann/status/816472653666119680

• Locked thread