Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Stux posted:

basic gunplay just isnt anywhere near as good, controls arent as good, map design isnt as good, the guns arent as good and too limited, the titans dont really compete with killstreaks and the AI stuff sucks but you can play the other modes without those i guess

i mean the big one is still that most FPS games on console that arent CoD just cant nail the controls and feel of the combat as well and its something stuff like battlefield falls down on as well. OW does well but its a different style of play, and destiny nails it but falls down on stuff like TTK and mobility etc

Do you think a long time to kill is inherently a bad thing? Or it there a particular issue with Destiny's TTK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

ExCruceLeo posted:

I have been playing some. You can add me for gifts and feel free to hop in if I'm on. I probably won't be mic'd up since I have a 1 yr old who likes to scream at her toys. I'm working on hardcore achievement stuff at the moment. ExCruceLeo

Cool. I sent you a friend request

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

89 posted:

So, honestly I've only really beat Assassin's Creed II and I like Black Flag (which seems to be the unanimous best AC). Out of all of the Assassins games, which ones are actually worth a poo poo besides II and Black Flag? Brotherhood and Syndicate?

Brotherhood and Rogue are great choices. Revelations is also worth going through if you like Ezio.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I really liked revelation's istanbul setting

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah the setting was cool but the game itself was boring as all hell, doubly so considering how good and fun 2 and Brotherhood were at the time.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah the setting was cool but the game itself was boring as all hell, doubly so considering how good and fun 2 and Brotherhood were at the time.

i dont recall any memorable gameplay from any AC game tbh

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Yodzilla posted:

Revelations was clearly the combination of ideas that werent good enough to make it into Brotherhood.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I tried playing brotherhood around the time black flag was released and dropped it pretty quick. kinda hard to go back to old ac games, at least for me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stux posted:

basic gunplay just isnt anywhere near as good, controls arent as good, map design isnt as good, the guns arent as good and too limited, the titans dont really compete with killstreaks and the AI stuff sucks but you can play the other modes without those i guess

i mean the big one is still that most FPS games on console that arent CoD just cant nail the controls and feel of the combat as well and its something stuff like battlefield falls down on as well. OW does well but its a different style of play, and destiny nails it but falls down on stuff like TTK and mobility etc

This is all a load of poo poo.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hey all, my PS+ sub is expiring next month and I also want to buy the season pass for Battlefield. Where's the best place to look for cheap/on-sale Sony bux? Maybe a thread in SAmart?

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Stux posted:

Long TTK is literally what makes Destiny PvP awesome. Now the red bar issues......

ReverendDre fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 4, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Long and short TTK both have their own appeal. It definetly changes the focus of the game and some people don't adjust well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kin posted:

Revelations was clearly the combination of ideas that werent good enough to make it into Brotherhood.

Revelations was the part where they started to shift from climbing puzzles to giving more mobility to the player, until you get to Syndicate and they're like "gently caress it you have a grappling hook, go Batman"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Stux posted:

the single player is better but the multiplayer really isnt close to competing with CoD for multiple reasons

:laffo:

Come again?

veni veni veni posted:

This is all a load of poo poo.

:hf:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It also depends on the style of the game. In a realistic looking game like BF1, I get annoyed when I run up behind someone and riddle their body with almost a dozen machinegun bullets, prompting them to turn around and shoot me in the head.

I don't think that BF1 has, on average, too long of a ttk, but as part of the weapon balance, some weapons (machine guns) feel like they do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I couldn't speak to beefone, but previous battlefield games post bc2 the ttk is pretty low but it's offset by the spread of the guns. a player has 100 health and an average gun does 25 damage before falloff. some weapons, the aek or the famas for example, will pretty much instantly drop you up close because of their insane rate of fire but they have enough recoil that actually pulling that off at range is very hard. lmgs tend to do something like 34 damage (and thus kill you in 3 shots instead of 4 like most guns) but that's offset by low rate of fire and not great accuracy when you're just running around with them

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I would consider battlefield pretty low TTK. It's not COD or Titanfall but dudes go down really quick compared to a bungie or Naughty Dog game.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I got diablo 3 during the sale. I started as a monk on normal but now i'm wondering if I should start over and pick a different class. Normal is also a little too easy.
I was trying to pick one that sounded varied and fun but then I read that I am playing a support class while doing it by myself so uh... any recommendations? ones with fun skills that can make a mess of stuff while I play solo are my jam. I will play with other people but not until I've done the story.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cubicle gangster posted:

I got diablo 3 during the sale. I started as a monk on normal but now i'm wondering if I should start over and pick a different class. Normal is also a little too easy.
I was trying to pick one that sounded varied and fun but then I read that I am playing a support class while doing it by myself so uh... any recommendations? ones with fun skills that can make a mess of stuff while I play solo are my jam. I will play with other people but not until I've done the story.

Pump the difficulty as high as you can tolerate, because

1. It's pretty easy regardless
2. More mobs more fun
3. More EXP/droprate

I solo'd through with a monk and enjoyed it and with the support stuff I think I might have used a potion..once? But maybe try wizard or demon hunter or something. Probably not crusader.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watch dogs 2 has just about the most unenjoyable stealth mechanics I have ever seen in a game. They are beyond grating.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Watch dogs 2 has just about the most unenjoyable stealth mechanics I have ever seen in a game. They are beyond grating.

I try to use robots for as much as I can, failing that I send cops or gangs into the cause a distraction, failing that I make really liberal use of phone distraction hacks.

It's dumb that that WD2 has the shape and feel of a cover stealth shooter when it's way less interesting and fun to play that way.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

Every single scenario is super easy if you use the right gadgets.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

You need to use the phone hack distraction, that's your bread and butter. Couple that with a one hit stun gun, environmental traps and and an all seeing scout flying drone, which you can also use hacking abilities with, your stealth abilities become pretty powerful.

acksplode posted:

It's dumb that that WD2 has the shape and feel of a cover stealth shooter when it's way less interesting and fun to play that way.

I don't see it that way at all. It's a stealth game, with guns if you really want to use them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actively resent anything that involves in person stealth or cover shooting in it. The stealth and shooting are incredibly unfun and the stealth is really spotty about its own rules, as well being really liberal about sending endless reinforcements in or alerting the whole place for no reason.

It's a lot of fun when you are just using hacking mechanics and the open world is great. Everything about it being a shooter drags it down.

I normally try to not even enter the mission area if I can but I am doing this lovely rear end mission on a boat and trying to "get the server out" but I think it's bugged or I'm not understanding something and I can't sit down and figure out what to do, because the enemies get alerted as a scripted part of the mission.

IMO Marcus even having guns was a pretty pussy move on ubisofts part. The game would be pretty much objectively better without them but big publishers are scared to make games that don't involve mass murder.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

It's a lot of fun when you are just using hacking mechanics and the open world is great. Everything about it being a shooter drags it down.

You literally do not have to shoot anyone the whole game.

Also just go to the top of the boat and run over to the server, that's it. Assuming you worked out how to put it on the elevator.

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 4, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think Rise of the Tomb Raider is a much better game than the original 2013 one. There's so much content. Main game, a side mission DLC in the man game, a full treasure hunt DLC, a neat 15 minute zombie survival thing, and I still haven't touched the cold darkness DLC or the endurance. Plus, this game has a robust score attack mode.

Anyone want to coop up for some Endurance coop? PSN is IneffiableFx

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Ya, to be fair, Ubisoft at least did that. Sure, the mass murder is an option, but by no means a requirement (and definitely doesn't feel right for Marcus, at least as far as I am with the game).

My problem is I played Mafia III before this, and that game makes it so easy to be such a total stealthy badass, and it's so satisfying (even if you're not killing anyone), that this just has a totally different feel that's hard to get used to. When you end up using the right tools and things go according to plan, or get chaotic in a weird way 'cause you forged evidence on someone or something like that, it feels really good. But when you alert too many people and you're trying to fight people off with the stun gun or just run, it's not great. Those moments are happening less the more I get comfortable with it though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I could get into why it was silly to include guns in the first place, but I'm more just annoyed at how unfun the game is when you actually have to get into a big area full of enemies in person.

While I'm on it can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do on this mission? It's the one on a barge and I'm supposed to lift the server up to the drone. But I bring the forklift up the elevator, and I can no longer control it. Bringing another forklift to it doesn't work because the box is stuck to the initial forklift. I even tried unloading the box in the basement but that doesn't work either because the box won't come off at all.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Just go to the top of the boat and run over to the server you will hook it up to the big drone automatically.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lol , I was over complicating the poo poo out of that.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

cubicle gangster posted:

My first solo character was a Monk and I had a great time. Just spec for damage/regen and crank the difficulty as high as it will let you. "Normal" is really a misnomer in that game when there are like 15 difficulty levels above it. It's much more satisfying the higher you go.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Hmm.. Is there any reason the Playstation app won't open on my WiFi? My ps4 works on WiFi just fine, the app opens just fine if I flip over to LTE. Any ideas?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

Hmm.. Is there any reason the Playstation app won't open on my WiFi? My ps4 works on WiFi just fine, the app opens just fine if I flip over to LTE. Any ideas?
IP in a block blacklisted for DDoS, I had the same thing for a while. Had to use another connection to confirm the email on my initial PSN account the day I got my PS4. I can use PSN apps/web now so I guess it times out after a while?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ineffiable posted:

I think Rise of the Tomb Raider is a much better game than the original 2013 one. There's so much content. Main game, a side mission DLC in the man game, a full treasure hunt DLC, a neat 15 minute zombie survival thing, and I still haven't touched the cold darkness DLC or the endurance. Plus, this game has a robust score attack mode.

Anyone want to coop up for some Endurance coop? PSN is IneffiableFx

The dlc was better than the main game for me. The only dud I thought was the Lara's nightmare dlc. Too small of an area, too repetitive of a game mode, along with a lovely blue filter. But I guess its short so whatever.

The blood ties dlc was amazing though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

The dlc was better than the main game for me. The only dud I thought was the Lara's nightmare dlc. Too small of an area, too repetitive of a game mode, along with a lovely blue filter. But I guess its short so whatever.

The blood ties dlc was amazing though.

the witch fight was the only part of the game i enjoyed.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Stux posted:

Can you go deeper on "gunplay" vis a vis IW vs. the previous games and something like Titanfall 2? The fact that you move slower, yet die faster is a serious black mark on the multiplayer of COD (which in previous games I've honestly liked, despite the fact that it is literally a game about getting shot in the back most of the time). Is it the variety of weapons? The way they handle in something like SMG vs. AR vs. heavy in terms of how movement is affected or handling?

When it comes to level design, do you dislike that there are open areas made for titans vs. corridors with clear sightlines and choke points?

For me, the movement speed is too slow for the TTK and the traversal elements (which, weirdly speed you up a bit, but can't be chained beyond, say, a slide; your moment-to-moment movement in IW is far too slow to respond to engagements). Destiny's TTK and mobility are sublimely tied to movement speed and ability to jump/slide out of situations, for me. I feel it's honestly the purest sense of Bungie's version of an FPS, and it works incredibly well because it's grounded in all the actions, speeds, and weapon damage levels.

IW felt, to me, like a weird regression of the movement speed and abilities of the previous few games because they dialed back how fast you can get around, but didn't bother to adjust for the insanely fast TTK. If you're targeted, there's not a whole lot you can do to get out of it, which I thought was still possible in AW.

I'm not a pro player, and I won't claim any kind of 1:1 KDR, so I'm curious.

[edit] I no typ gud.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 4, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SamBishop posted:

Can you go deeper on "gunplay" vis a vis IW vs. the previous games and something like Titanfall 2? The fact that you move slower, yet die faster is a serious black mark on the multiplayer of COD (which in previous games I've honestly liked, despite the fact that it is literally a game about getting shot in the back most of the time). Is it the variety of weapons? The way they handle in something like SMG vs. AR vs. heavy in terms of how movement in affected or handling?

When it comes to level design, do you dislike that there are open areas made for titans vs. corridors with clear sightlines and choke points?

For me, the movement speed is too slow for the TTK and the traversal elements (which, weirdly speed you up a bit, but can't be chained beyond, say, a slide; your moment-to-moment movement in IW is far too slow to respond to engagements). Destiny's TTK and mobility are sublimely tied to movement speed and ability to jump/slide out of situations, for me. I feel it's honestly the purest sense of Bungie's version of an FPS, and it works incredibly well because it's grounded in all the actions, speeds, and weapon damage levels.

IW felt, to me, like a weird regression of the movement speed and abilities of the previous few games because they dialed back how fast you can get around, but didn't bother to adjust for the insanely fast TTK. If you're targeted, there's not a whole lot you can do to get out of it, which I thought was still possible in AW.

I'm not a pro player, and I won't claim any kind of 1:1 KDR, so I'm curious.

Stux is probated for a week dude.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
We await his answer with baited breath

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

Stux is probated for a week dude.

I wish I could blame this on work, but maybe he'll see it and respond. His, uh, scope in terms of posts probably means nothing, and I'm honestly expecting a three-word answer, but I honestly want to get into the mind of someone who likes what this version of COD is outside of the campaign because for me it was a massive, unequivocable disappointment for a series that I could just turn on and shoot poo poo in the waning hours of the workday.

I hated the latest COD gameplay, but I wanted to see if it was just because it changed a bunch and I couldn't pick up on it without looking into super-spergy sites that outlined things. It innately felt wrong and disjointed, and I never got over that, but maybe there was something deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
CoD has a higher skill ceiling than TF2 and more thought given to balance and map sight lines and probably works better with a xim4 but I don't care because running around in mechs killing everything is just very fun.

Latest CoD sucks because it's visually far more boring than BLOPS3 and the map design seems worse.

• Locked thread