Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.
Well, fluff wise... Yu-Jing is controlled by the monolithic and omnipresent Party, nominally controlled by a dueling dynastic pair of imperial families. Favored models include brainwashed suicide bomber political prisoners named after hopping vampires, a robot lion that transforms into a robot... robot, and robot geisha.

So... not certain if racist or trope-y?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There is also something that annoys me, and I don't think is done out of malice so much as not really being aware, but a lot of games (including my beloved Malifaux) also tend towards having an asian conglomerate. Its the "asian" faction, mixing any and all stereotypes, cultural assets, names of a vast array of different peoples and cultures, in a way that basically serves to create a homogenized, monolithic "other". Yes there are fluff reasons for these, but it doesn't change the fact its a very orientalist, western view.

I like these games, but it is a very annoying tendency.

Also the really lazy google translate naming. There's a Malifaux character whose name is literally HATRED DARKNESS

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Infinity had Tech-Coolies which had to get changed to to Tech-Bees, that's a sexualised mini for ya. Great game though if you don't get some fan service poo poo get in the way

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Yes there are fluff reasons for these, but it doesn't change the fact its a very orientalist, western view.
Probs because the perceived game market is stuffed full of weebs and fat neckbeards who lap that poo poo up.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
those robots aint got no legs

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Moola posted:

those robots aint got no legs

Please do not body-shame.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Cinnamon Bear posted:

There is also something that annoys me, and I don't think is done out of malice so much as not really being aware, but a lot of games (including my beloved Malifaux) also tend towards having an asian conglomerate. Its the "asian" faction, mixing any and all stereotypes, cultural assets, names of a vast array of different peoples and cultures, in a way that basically serves to create a homogenized, monolithic "other". Yes there are fluff reasons for these, but it doesn't change the fact its a very orientalist, western view.

Also the really lazy google translate naming. There's a Malifaux character whose name is literally HATRED DARKNESS

TBF, that is what the Chinese part of the faction want it to be. They, much like the modern China, want to impose their culture on the other Asian countries that have joined (or been assimilated into) Yu Jing.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Flipswitch posted:

Infinity had Tech-Coolies which had to get changed to to Tech-Bees, that's a sexualised mini for ya. Great game though if you don't get some fan service poo poo get in the way

The issue with this one and the line it belongs to was it was supposed to be pin up style stuff and allow the sculptors the freedom to make what they wanted. It doesn't officially represent any unit that sees the tabletop but now they're releasing an actual unit model dressed exactly like that and it's extraordinarily shameful.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

adhuin posted:

Please do not body-shame.

how he move?!?!?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just like Loaderbot after he loses his legs to the bounty hunters in Borderlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZxCTSTLYBk

Cinnamon Bear fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 3, 2017

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

The issue with this one and the line it belongs to was it was supposed to be pin up style stuff and allow the sculptors the freedom to make what they wanted. It doesn't officially represent any unit that sees the tabletop but now they're releasing an actual unit model dressed exactly like that and it's extraordinarily shameful.

Same with the YJ TAG pilot if my memory serves correctly.

Corvus Belli is a company that takes several strides forwards, and then just can't hold in their need to sculpt some cheesecake. Then they release a mega-thong and go back to being chill for a few months. Rinse, repeat.

I mean, I get that everyone is wearing form fitting body armour because fashion in most sci-fi settings is either body gloves, or some sort of Baroque-Renaissance poo poo, but no one should be wearing battle heels, with tacti-thong. I don't get the body glove thing in many sci-fi settings though. Sure, yoga pants and Under Armour are extremely popular right now, but is the future really going to be some sort of Spandex Utopia?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Cat Face Joe posted:

The dude that makes Kingdom Death defended their pinup models with "well, I have to keep my sculptors happy, and that means letting them sculpt what they want and they want to sculpt titties." Between that and Corvus Belli apparently having the same issues, I'm starting to get skeeved out by mini sculptors in general.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
This is my infinity ckum waifu

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Moola posted:

how he move?!?!?
like bb8 but way shittier

Cat Face Joe posted:

yeah I couldnt find the new one and couldn't be arsed to look for more than a minute for a jpeg and tbh it doesn't make much of a difference if you dont play infinity

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Notahippie posted:

The dude that makes Kingdom Death defended their pinup models with "well, I have to keep my sculptors happy, and that means letting them sculpt what they want and they want to sculpt titties." Between that and Corvus Belli apparently having the same issues, I'm starting to get skeeved out by mini sculptors in general.

Perry's now, Perry's then, Perry's forever.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Notahippie posted:

It's my opinion that 95% of artists are perverts. The other 5% make perverted things at some point because they sell.

It's turtles all the way down. And the turtles are having sex.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

good for the turtles, imo

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/03/warhammer-world-new-years-open-day/

Saw on FB. Looks like they really changed stances (heh) on the goofy tau hooves despite having a great vision the first time.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Notahippie posted:

The director for the Girls Und Panzer anime said he had to restrain his artists from showing upskirts of characters and ruin what is otherwise a great sports series. Then of course all the extra OVA and other materials have fan service.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
i jerk off to 25mm pewter boobs

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I feel I want this made into a banner

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was painting up some of my new plastic Enforcers for Deadzone and my wife looked at a couple of was shocked to realize that they were women and the only way you could tell was because of the face and hair. She considered this a nice change of pace compared to the Ral Partha fairies I was doing on commission which were the tittiest, assiest models I've ever done.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have the tech bees model but I wish it was a buff dude showcasing it since it would be a perfect mecha representation of a Jojo Stand. As it is, i don't know when I'll ever assemble and paint it.

Sir Teabag posted:

is the future really going to be some sort of Spandex Utopia?
Let's hope so, friend.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I hope you like historicals, because that's all there is on the menu.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

adhuin posted:

Have you heard of our lord and savior Kings of War?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

fnordcircle posted:

Have you heard of our lord and savior Kings of War?

To be fair they're still historical models, they can just be used in Kings of War with little hassle.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sir Teabag posted:

Same with the YJ TAG pilot if my memory serves correctly.

Corvus Belli is a company that takes several strides forwards, and then just can't hold in their need to sculpt some cheesecake. Then they release a mega-thong and go back to being chill for a few months. Rinse, repeat.

I mean, I get that everyone is wearing form fitting body armour because fashion in most sci-fi settings is either body gloves, or some sort of Baroque-Renaissance poo poo, but no one should be wearing battle heels, with tacti-thong. I don't get the body glove thing in many sci-fi settings though. Sure, yoga pants and Under Armour are extremely popular right now, but is the future really going to be some sort of Spandex Utopia?

Zero g calls for compression undies, yo.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

adhuin posted:

Yes and?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

adhuin posted:

Someone link me a well-made WHFB Empire army made from historical minis, preferably without heroic scale and new-edition magical snowflake poo poo.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Liquid Communism posted:

Zero g calls for compression undies, yo.

George Lucas posted:

There is no underwear in space.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Someone link me a well-made WHFB Empire army made from historical minis, preferably without heroic scale and new-edition magical snowflake poo poo.

Dan over on the 9th Age forums uses almost exclusively historicals for his Iron Crowns (Dogs of War equivalent) army.

Here's a link to his army log: Link

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Panzeh posted:

I kinda like Mantic's enforcers because they play into a more modern elite motif and emphasize mobility over 'has the biggest gun and the heaviest armor'(that's the forgefathers in their setting).

I like them because their background fluff has a number of subtle and not-subtle digs at space marines.

The biggest general one being the periodic tendency of crazy body and mind modifying technology to go off the rails. Less in a tragic "we are now vampires who are full of angsty rage" a la the Blood Angels, and more "we accidentally took away our supersoldiers' ability to not take orders exactly literally and now they massacred both the enemy and their own side on the ship. Prolly should fix that."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I agree with your general point, but China hegemonizing an economically depressed Japan and Korea is a much more sensible future China than pretty much anything else I've seen in a tabletop game. (The revival of the Party and the Imperial throne, not so much. Why do game designers think Chinese people really really want an Emperor and Neo-Neo-Confucianism?)

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I agree with your general point, but China hegemonizing an economically depressed Japan and Korea is a much more sensible future China than pretty much anything else I've seen in a tabletop game. (The revival of the Party and the Imperial throne, not so much. Why do game designers think Chinese people really really want an Emperor and Neo-Neo-Confucianism?)

I always thought the fact that people in Firefly that left Earth speak English and Chinese was a pretty realistic representation of the future.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Shadin posted:

I always thought the fact that people in Firefly that left Earth speak English and Chinese was a pretty realistic representation of the future.

Maybe if they used Chinese for anything except US-Censor friendly cursing

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Maybe if they used Chinese for anything except US-Censor friendly cursing

That indeed would have made it even more realistic but it would have also made for lovely television. Compromises have to be made.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shadin posted:

And yet, none of the main cast were Asian...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
No one who isn't from China is going to learn Mandarin in the near or far future. Regardless of how Firefly implemented the language it ain't happening. If somehow Mandarin became a cultural force to rival English (which it won't), English would just absorb any Mandarin it was exposed to, like with the expression "Long time no see."

For more details on why no one is going to learn Mandarin, see the China thread in GBS.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Atlas Hugged posted:

For more details on why no one is going to learn Mandarin, see the China thread in GBS.

Ha! Nice try!

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

Ha! Nice try!

Yeah, fool me once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

see... ...GBS.