Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Is that in conquest?

Yep. All foxes, and you can't attack half of them on any given turn. Also some have pass, so chokepointing them isn't 100% either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argent Cinereus posted:

Yep. All foxes, and you can't attack half of them on any given turn. Also some have pass, so chokepointing them isn't 100% either.

Mission 19. It's not so much difficult as it is stupid. Getting a unit who can reliably tank their attacks and you're pretty much done, as long as you didn't deploy any healers or other vulnerable units.

It's just that even if you do, the mission encourages turtling and adds in waiting to no benefit whatsoever.

There's not much argument that it's the worst map in Conquest.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cavalier has some great skills to pick up, boosts your defense and mobility in the early game where you really need it, and gives you access to lances without taking away yato access

fighter is also great because berserker is the best class in the game, tho it gets even better if you take oni savage as your boon class and get savage blow first

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

There's not much argument that it's the worst map in Conquest.

I didn't hate it nearly as much as I hated the wind map. gently caress forced movement forever.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo Xander just hit a crit for a 129. :psyduck:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Yeah the fox map wasn't that bad.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I didn't hate it nearly as much as I hated the wind map. gently caress forced movement forever.

This, and also the Revelations version which I hated more. gently caress forced movement, gently caress mandatory 1-tile-wide pathways making up almost all of the map.

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011
At what point should you start reclassing advanced-class characters so that they start racking up skills at a decent rate?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Asperity posted:

At what point should you start reclassing advanced-class characters so that they start racking up skills at a decent rate?

Ideally when they hit level 15. Unless you only care about the level 5 skill for the class they're in, that case at level 5.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Asperity posted:

Level 5 Promoted is when they get their first skill, and 15 promoted is when they get their second, so level 5 probably, as odds are they won't hit 15 without a ton of grinding.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Hitting 15 is pretty normal if you play the paralogues. Hitting 19 is difficult and you won't have that many guys doing it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well, the big problem is that the guys won't get their 15 skills before their 5 skills, so change over to other classes at 5/6 and then get to your ending class at 15, is what I meant.

Corrin my Murdermaid was my highest level character in Conquest and she ended at 17.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Senerio posted:

Well, the big problem is that the guys won't get their 15 skills before their 5 skills, so change over to other classes at 5/6 and then get to your ending class at 15, is what I meant.

Corrin my Murdermaid was my highest level character in Conquest and she ended at 17.

Yeah that works also. However it requires 2 seals instead of one, and you might find yourself strapped for cash/seals during some parts of the game.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Yeah that works also. However it requires 2 seals instead of one, and you might find yourself strapped for cash/seals during some parts of the game.

Yeah, honestly the best bet is to pick the promoted class you DON'T want at promotion, and switch to the one you DO want at 5.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The best way to play Fates is to blow all your cash on a billion seals and trap your party in terrible classes. That's where the fun is, even if Iron Lance +5 is a better use of capital.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
These end game maps are ridiculous.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 6, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey I finished it, pretty good game overall but holy poo poo those end games where absurdly difficult and I applaud anyone who did this on lunatic with the perma death thing on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Hey I finished it, pretty good game overall but holy poo poo those end games where absurdly difficult and I applaud anyone who did this on lunatic with the perma death thing on.

You beat it on hard, right?

Congratulations! It's one of the most difficult games in the series. I mean, I only beat Conquest on normal classic, and that's bragging.

Sadly, it's time to weep like Alexander, for there are no more worlds worth conquering. Birthright doesn't offer much of a challenge, and Rev is simply dog vomit on every level. But yeah.

Care to say your final team?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Corrin
Camilla
Beruka
Jacob
Felicia
Leo
Xander
Izana
Mozu
Charlotte
Effie
Silas
Azura
Forrest
Siegbert

Siegbert and Silas where the absolute MVP's, I married Xander to Charlotte and I turned off Siegbert Fighter/Berserker, dude had absurd stats, I'm talking like 60% crit with a killer axe and well over 90% to hit even a basic bitch bronze axe would do like 40+ damage and he'd hit twice, its no coincidence he hit the final blow on the final boss, Silas was just a ridiculous effective tank, special mention goes to Mozu for never missing ever and usually landing a crit to boot.

I ran into some trouble when I could field more units so I just paired them up constantly and just let the stronger ones fight, also the 1v1 with Ryoma lost a lot of impact cause I stat dumped the stat stuff on Corrin and Ryoma could only do 4 damage to me and I could only do 4 damage to him as well, it was more of a slapfight than an epic battle.

I'll probably get the other 2 still, I enjoyed conquest enough, but what is the problem with revelations? Why is it dog vomit?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alteisen posted:

Corrin
Camilla
Beruka
Jacob
Felicia
Leo
Xander
Izana
Mozu
Charlotte
Effie
Silas
Azura
Forrest
Siegbert

Siegbert and Silas where the absolute MVP's, I married Xander to Charlotte and I turned off Siegbert Fighter/Berserker, dude had absurd stats, I'm talking like 60% crit with a killer axe and well over 90% to hit even a basic bitch bronze axe would do like 40+ damage and he'd hit twice, its no coincidence he hit the final blow on the final boss, Silas was just a ridiculous effective tank, special mention goes to Mozu for never missing ever and usually landing a crit to boot.

I ran into some trouble when I could field more units so I just paired them up constantly and just let the stronger ones fight, also the 1v1 with Ryoma lost a lot of impact cause I stat dumped the stat stuff on Corrin and Ryoma could only do 4 damage to me and I could only do 4 damage to him as well, it was more of a slapfight than an epic battle.

I'll probably get the other 2 still, I enjoyed conquest enough, but what is the problem with revelations? Why is it dog vomit?

Revelations is not balanced well, a lot of characters are absolutely useless (Odin comes in at chapter 19 at level 12 with base stats 1 or 2 over what he comes in with in Conquest and he's hardly the only one that gets absolutely hosed over) and a lot of the maps are incredibly gimmicky bullshit.

Also a lot of people really, really hate the story there.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Odin was the real main character of Revelations as evidenced by the fact that he destroyed all four forms of Anakos, with the help of his bro4lyfe Laslow.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

Revelations is not balanced well, a lot of characters are absolutely useless (Odin comes in at chapter 19 at level 12 with base stats 1 or 2 over what he comes in with in Conquest) and a lot of the maps are incredibly gimmicky bullshit.

Also a lot of people really, really hate the story there.

A lot of people here hate the story for all of Fates, though. Not much of a marker. I mean, I hate the writing enough to count for at least three people by myself.

But yeah. Bad maps. Gimmicky, poorly balanced bad maps. It kicks off with three maps in a row where you barely get any units to make sure Corrin is severely overleveled, and they're boring maps even aside from that. And it never gets good. At best, some of the maps in the middle are slightly less terrible. And they ruin that by having an arbitrary pair of maps with no save between them, because gently caress you.

Birthright is a personal call, even if I'd advise against it. Revelation, though, is just bad, and should not be played.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
But I was looking forward to having Ryoma and Xander in the same party. :smith:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alteisen posted:

They have a pretty decent support!

Honestly, Revelations can be fun to play just for some of the cross-cast supports and if you want to get all the kids and play eugenics. I like it for that.

It just does its absolute best to make it infuriating to get to that bit.

Birthright is pretty good though, and my favorite of the three overall even if I know I'm in the minority there. Its a very solid entry regardless though.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Birthright is an extremely solid FE campaign.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alteisen posted:

That's not a surprise. Fates does everything it can to upsell Revelation with the other routes. It makes the failures of the route even more disappointing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I will say this, as far as main unit goes, I found Corrin to be fairly weak, same with most of the royals except maybe Xander and Camilla.

I hear Ryoma is absurdly powerful for some reason, like he's untouchable and just murders everything so I'm curious how the Hoshido royals compare.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I will say this, as far as main unit goes, I found Corrin to be fairly weak, same with most of the royals except maybe Xander and Camilla.

I hear Ryoma is absurdly powerful for some reason, like he's untouchable and just murders everything so I'm curious how the Hoshido royals compare.

The Hoshido royals are all pretty excellent units.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Ryoma and Takumi are loving gods and are (to my knowledge) the most overpowered characters to ever appear in an FE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sety in FE5 literally oneshots everything in the game and is untouchable. Like, mathematically. There's nothing in the game he can't kill in a single attack, it's actual fact, and everything in the game has single digit hit rates on him. Unlike Ryoma he's only around for 2-3 maps though.

And Takumi's player phase is insanely good and he can also do dual attacks but he's still a player phase only unit, which means he still misses out on about 70% of combat in the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

Ryoma and Takumi are loving gods and are (to my knowledge) the most overpowered characters to ever appear in an FE

lol, they aren't even close.

At minimum the Laguz Royals in FE9/10, someone wielding Holsety in FE4/5, the Black Knight in 10, Ike in 10 are better.

And there are a lot of others who are probably in the same tier. Seth in 8 for instance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, the BK in 10 and the laguz royals in 9 have such limited use that they don't really count.

I'd say for someone who's around as long as he is and as consistently as he is Ryoma is definitely one of the best characters in the series, but Levin!Arthur is around for 50% of FE4 and is even more unkillable, so.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Sety in FE5 literally oneshots everything in the game and is untouchable. Like, mathematically. There's nothing in the game he can't kill in a single attack, it's actual fact, and everything in the game has single digit hit rates on him. Unlike Ryoma he's only around for 2-3 maps though.

he's not actually untouchable (partly because of Fe5's 1% lower bound on hit, but also just in general), so ive had him die to the foul getting poisoned then hit by hell combo, but yeah, he literally can't deal less then 80 damage once he caps mag

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Those units are bitches in comparison to the one true goddess.

Do not ask for mercy for you will find none here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Whoever did that neglected to grind for Boots.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Whoever did that neglected to grind for Boots.

a single pair of which would probably have made her a better unit then every other stat booster they pumped into her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why make her a general and not a great knight.....

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Shortest Path posted:

The Hoshido royals are all pretty excellent units.

Eh, Sakura and Hinoka are fairly ordinary other than having decent auras. Sakura's your best healer for a while, Hinoka's the less disappointing of the two unpromoted Pegs, but otherwise neither are that standout compared to similar units of games past.

The BR first-gen standouts are Ryoma, Takumi, Scarlet, Saizo and... I dunno, maybe Kaden who just dodges everything. Oboro's okay but can get RNG-screwed. Azama would be impressive if he actually started as a physical unit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's fun to see a general hit max speed naturally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Those units are bitches in comparison to the one true goddess.

Do not ask for mercy for you will find none here.

I only actually bothered with raising her up once and she ended up real bad. Like "1 strength in 6 levels" bad.

• Locked thread