Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the sunday sport is best considered "news-inspired", or "current-events-themed". they buy up photos from abroad and make up stories about the people in them jamming creme eggs up their rear end or something. subjects of the photos get a bit of cash, the people who buy the sunday sport get to imagine them performing sex acts on food, everybody wins

Which makes them far more respectable than most other British newspapers where you can replace "people jamming creme eggs up their arse" with "immigrants stealing your jobs and burning your poppies" in that description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the sunday sport is best considered "news-inspired", or "current-events-themed". they buy up photos from abroad and make up stories about the people in them jamming creme eggs up their rear end or something. subjects of the photos get a bit of cash, the people who buy the sunday sport get to imagine them performing sex acts on food, everybody wins

Who sells their personal, amateur photos like that? I'm imagining some sort of sketchy website for aspiring actors where you send your photos and you fail to notice the fine print which grants the site rights to it. Or do people consciously sell their unattractive, disheveled photos expecting to see them next to a MY DOG HAS BEEN PISSING IN MY CEREAL FOR 6 MONTHS headline?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they're usually photoshopped using a couple of people

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Blame the Belgians for that place being a wasteland for so long.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Baron Corbyn posted:

Which makes them far more respectable than most other British newspapers where you can replace "people jamming creme eggs up their arse" with "immigrants stealing your jobs and burning your poppies" in that description.

did the market create the papers, or did the papers create the market?

i mean its a bit moot they both need to be burned to the ground

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Suicide is old hat, reducing your lifespan through whoring and snorting is where it's at.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Suicide is old hat, reducing your lifespan through whoring and snorting is where it's at.

*nods head*

*is 37*

MILWAUKEE -- To his fans, Phillip W. Katz was a folk hero of the computer culture, a pioneer who set the standard for file compression, or "zipping." Employees at his company, PKWare Inc., found him a beneficent, if often absentee, boss. Friends knew him as a shy jokester who loved partying and picked up tabs with wads of 50- and 100-dollar bills.

But there was a darker Phil Katz, one only half-hidden from those who knew him. For years, he nurtured a serious, steadily worsening drinking problem. As it deepened, Mr. Katz spent more and more time drinking alone, often in strip clubs. He brushed off questions about his problem and fell away from his friends. Even his widowed mother, when she challenged him one too many times, was cut out of his life. At the office, "it was well-known that you didn't mess with him," says Steven Burg, a longtime employee who left the closely held PKWare in 1997. The tacit understanding, he says, was simple: "Phil drinks, and there's nothing you can do about it if you want to stay employed here."

Eventually, Mr. Katz, while still nominally running the company, embarked on a strange underground life. He stopped coming to work and stayed in touch with the office only by fax and e-mail. Fearful of arrest warrants stemming from his drunk driving, he kept away from his condominium in a wealthy northern suburb and stayed in a series of South Side hotels. In one such place, a maintenance man found the 37-year-old Mr. Katz dead on April 14. He had checked in a week earlier, left instructions for housekeepers to bypass his room and hung a "Privacy Please" sign on his door handle. He was sitting on the floor by his bed in his underwear, cradling an empty bottle of peppermint schnapps in his left arm, with two other empty liquor bottles nearby. The official cause of death: acute pancreatic bleeding caused by chronic alcoholism.

aw poo poo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/cat_beltane/status/817032744786165760

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/anger-after-holy-well-tree-is-stripped-of-hundreds-of-prayer-rags-35347209.html

Hopefully the rag thief woke up on New Year's Day completely covered with warts.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I AM NOT A SOCCER REFF U LIMEY gently caress. DO YOUR RESEARCH

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You figure people would learn from the whole "XBOX, off" thing, but....

TV news report prompts viewers' Amazon Echo devices to order unwanted dollhouses

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/06/tv-news-report-prompts-viewers-amazon-echo-devices-to-order-unwanted-dollhouses.html

Pretty sure there will be TV ads scripted in ways to mess with it now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

A hilariously banal mystery; I love it :neckbeard:

Too bad passenger doors don't work over there though, and we have no idea which vehicle arrived first!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

individual865 posted:

Someone at Yahoo Finance just made the worst typo...

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Sometimes it really is the simplest ones that give the biggest smiles. :allears:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I like that someone insisted on putting "it is unknown if there were other vehicles on either side of the closely parked cars."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is my favorite article ever and I want to marry the writer

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I love when he finally gives up and just goes with it.

https://twitter.com/therealmikedean/status/817243442388541440

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

You figure people would learn from the whole "XBOX, off" thing, but....

TV news report prompts viewers' Amazon Echo devices to order unwanted dollhouses

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/06/tv-news-report-prompts-viewers-amazon-echo-devices-to-order-unwanted-dollhouses.html

Pretty sure there will be TV ads scripted in ways to mess with it now.

This girl does not need accidental voice activation, she just straight up use her sleeping mother's fingerprint.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-total-250.html

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The MSJ posted:

This girl does not need accidental voice activation, she just straight up use her sleeping mother's fingerprint.

:golfclap:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

Why the gently caress would they have a picture of their thieving daughter smiling with all the Pokemon they obviously accepted delivery of and didn't return. The daily mail isn't even trying anymore

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aesop Poprock posted:

Why the gently caress would they have a picture of their thieving daughter smiling with all the Pokemon they obviously accepted delivery of and didn't return. The daily mail isn't even trying anymore

Daily Mail paid them for whatever the pokeymans cost.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

The MSJ posted:

her daughter, Ashlynd

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

Daily Mail paid them for whatever the pokeymans cost.

It's the daily mail so I didn't even bother reading the article but that's still an insane thing to encourage a child to do even if it actually happened

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's the daily mail so I didn't even bother reading the article but that's still an insane thing to encourage a child to do even if it actually happened

i dont actually know, i just assumed.

by law, theres a no questions asked 14 day return guaranteed on anything ordered online within the eu. tho i guess i dont really know how that works now with brexit and also not reading the article.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powaqoatse posted:

i dont actually know, i just assumed.

by law, theres a no questions asked 14 day return guaranteed on anything ordered online within the eu. tho i guess i dont really know how that works now with brexit and also not reading the article.

It happened in Arkansas.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Facebook Aunt posted:

It happened in Arkansas.

welp, yeah I guess there's no consumer protection then.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powaqoatse posted:

welp, yeah I guess there's no consumer protection then.

It still sounds fishy as hell that the mom called the next morning and was only allowed to return 4 of them. It seems more likely that all but 4 had already shipped, so if she wanted to return them she would have to pay the postage. Then she decided to keep them rather than pay postage for nothing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Facebook Aunt posted:

It still sounds fishy as hell that the mom called the next morning and was only allowed to return 4 of them. It seems more likely that all but 4 had already shipped, so if she wanted to return them she would have to pay the postage. Then she decided to keep them rather than pay postage for nothing.

yea that's not a bad call.

I ordered a boardgame from outside of the EU once and they caught it in customs & were like: toll + vat will be like 30 bucks. so i told them to send it back and yelled at the seller for not telling me that they were outside the EU. in the end i had to pay the postage back (3-4 bucks i think?), but thats better than paying thrice the price for a game that i later bought cheaply on local website

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/MPSSutton/status/817783779041349632

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Kitty litter mistaken for meth lands man behind bars

quote:

A similar thing happened to a man in Orlando in July. He was arrested during a traffic stop after flakes of Krispy Kreme doughnut glaze tested positive for meth using two roadside tests, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

The state crime lab retested the glaze and exonerated him.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It looks like it just pulled up super close to the gate to back into a loading dock

The better question is wtf is up with those zigzag street lines

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aesop Poprock posted:

It looks like it just pulled up super close to the gate to back into a loading dock

The better question is wtf is up with those zigzag street lines

They indicate that you are approaching a pedestrian crossing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

They indicate that you are approaching a pedestrian crossing.

Huh, in the US we just use screaming and running pedestrians to let us know we're going through a pedestrian crossing.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, in the US we just use screaming and running pedestrians to let us know we're going through a pedestrian crossing.

I always thought you were scandinavian for some reason. But yeah in the US we don't have those

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

I always thought you were scandinavian for some reason. But yeah in the US we don't have those

I've actually seen those in Hawaii, so it depends on the state (or maybe even county)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/07/tv_anchor_says_alexa_buy_me_a_dollhouse_and_she_does/?mt=1483795705927

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless