Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Jimmy Hats posted:

If I want to play netrunner with you dorks but only have experience with the base set will I be poo poo on forever?

i mean if you're playing on jnet you can always play with different cards at your own pace. i think a set-by-set league sounds kinda fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

If I want to play netrunner with you dorks but only have experience with the base set will I be poo poo on forever?

Define "poo poo on".

We won't make fun of you, but you'll have some learning to do before you start to win consistently.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Next goon league should be a limited format. Arena or sealed or draft would all be sweet.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'd be all-in if you guys ever did a set by set or slow grow kinda deal. Jumping in now after so many sets have been released is really overwhelming!

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

The nice thing about limited formats is that (almost) everyone is playing with cards they've never seen in-game before so it evens the playing field quite a bit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Isn’t there some site that can randomize a draft pack, or something similar? I could see someone using that / writing a script of their own to come up with some “boosters” of cards so that a sealed format could be used. Have whoever is running the league divvy out the lists to each participant to make sure they are following their personal lists. Maybe hold a vote beforehand to figure out what rarities some cards should be, to help give scarcity to better cards.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Isn’t there some site that can randomize a draft pack, or something similar? I could see someone using that / writing a script of their own to come up with some “boosters” of cards so that a sealed format could be used. Have whoever is running the league divvy out the lists to each participant to make sure they are following their personal lists. Maybe hold a vote beforehand to figure out what rarities some cards should be, to help give scarcity to better cards.

http://anrena.almostworthit.com/

Not perfect, but it simulates a draft pretty well.

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.

I'm blind, what's the problem with this card? (also your image is broken)

I had to google it, but they forgot to add "until the end of the turn".

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

The Deleter posted:

I'm going to assume incompetence as the playtesters of Netrunner are volunteers and not paid professionals who should be doing this poo poo for a living.

Your mistake here is assuming that the playtester feedback on cards like this is taken into account rather than ignored. There's no way anyone who's played the game would look at this card and say "Yeah, this looks like a thing we should print." knowing that Parasite/Mimic/Yog exist.

Why play ICE at all if it's this easy to kill. Lowering your handsize by one for a turn isn't even a real cost, you still avoid Scorched Earth at 4 cards and BOOM! kills you regardless with 4 or 5 with Placrete saving you in both instances.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Slio posted:

Your mistake here is assuming that the playtester feedback on cards like this is taken into account rather than ignored. There's no way anyone who's played the game would look at this card and say "Yeah, this looks like a thing we should print." knowing that Parasite/Mimic/Yog exist.

Why play ICE at all if it's this easy to kill. Lowering your handsize by one for a turn isn't even a real cost, you still avoid Scorched Earth at 4 cards and BOOM! kills you regardless with 4 or 5 with Placrete saving you in both instances.

Disclaimer: I have not worked in the tabletop games industry, but have worked for almost ten years in the video game industry, with a lot of those years being involved with testing, both for bugs and gameplay stuff, and the rest being involved with game design. So I guess take what I’m saying with a grain of salt, but there is a little foundation here.

I suspect that FFG has a really small playtesting team, probably around 5-10 people, if that. Most of those people are probably just casual Netrunner players, with maybe 1 or 2 of them having a hand in the competitive scene of Netrunner. The small team does their best to come up with as many different ways to break cards as they can, but poo poo slips through the cracks. They probably have 1 or 2 folks that are either on this team or work with this team to actually balance the cards, figuring out values and numbers and stuff. These one or two people probably have a pretty solid grasp on how to balance stuff, but we don’t know for sure - and their views likely skew the balance quite a bit.

I suspect that the lead designers like Damon and Lukas don’t actually do that much balancing, and maybe not even a shitton of individual card designing. They’re probably much busier with the overall design of the overarching sets / cycles, and the main themes of cards and their mechanics. Another, lower-level designer probably comes up with the idea of “a console where you can lower ice strength once per turn by making yourself more vulnerable to meat/net damage” and then plays with different ideas of how to do that. I’m sure taking tags was an early idea, but no that’s too easy to avoid with NACH or something. Discarding cards could work, but then the player could just draw more after using it. How about lowering hand size? That’ll work great! They mark up some rough numbers to try it out with, then hand it over to the 1-2 people who balance, then THEY hand it off to playtesting. Maybe the 1-2 people who balance poo poo love parasite and yog and anarch and so subconsciously make cards supporting those stronger. Maybe this is the case for one of the lead playtesters, so they discourage their team from reporting issues with those factions, or ignore said reports. Maybe the lead playtesters report those kind of issues, but maybe there’s some pipeline inefficiencies and the problems take too long to get to, so there’s not time to fix them.

All of this is pure speculation, but the history of the game kind of points to stuff like this being probable. Museum of History not being unique, there being tons of weird wording that doesn’t make sense, NBN and Anarch getting all the best cards, etc. I feel like people get this mental image of Damon handcrafting all the cards and numbers himself, but it’s likely a huge effort of many many different people, any one of whom could be the cause of the various balance issues that can be present. The playtesters for the cards are probably no more skilled / experienced than your average group that comes to netrunner tuesdays down at your local game shop.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I feel like someone went "Null needs a console that synergises with his breakers" because in a Null deck with no parasites and his two breakers, it's not too crazy. It's essentially helping to charge up those breakers for future runs, right? Then any of the above problems happened and RIP ice.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Disclaimer: I have not worked in the tabletop games industry, but have worked for almost ten years in the video game industry, with a lot of those years being involved with testing, both for bugs and gameplay stuff, and the rest being involved with game design. So I guess take what I’m saying with a grain of salt, but there is a little foundation here.

I suspect that FFG has a really small playtesting team, probably around 5-10 people, if that. Most of those people are probably just casual Netrunner players, with maybe 1 or 2 of them having a hand in the competitive scene of Netrunner. The small team does their best to come up with as many different ways to break cards as they can, but poo poo slips through the cracks. They probably have 1 or 2 folks that are either on this team or work with this team to actually balance the cards, figuring out values and numbers and stuff. These one or two people probably have a pretty solid grasp on how to balance stuff, but we don’t know for sure - and their views likely skew the balance quite a bit.

I suspect that the lead designers like Damon and Lukas don’t actually do that much balancing, and maybe not even a shitton of individual card designing. They’re probably much busier with the overall design of the overarching sets / cycles, and the main themes of cards and their mechanics. Another, lower-level designer probably comes up with the idea of “a console where you can lower ice strength once per turn by making yourself more vulnerable to meat/net damage” and then plays with different ideas of how to do that. I’m sure taking tags was an early idea, but no that’s too easy to avoid with NACH or something. Discarding cards could work, but then the player could just draw more after using it. How about lowering hand size? That’ll work great! They mark up some rough numbers to try it out with, then hand it over to the 1-2 people who balance, then THEY hand it off to playtesting. Maybe the 1-2 people who balance poo poo love parasite and yog and anarch and so subconsciously make cards supporting those stronger. Maybe this is the case for one of the lead playtesters, so they discourage their team from reporting issues with those factions, or ignore said reports. Maybe the lead playtesters report those kind of issues, but maybe there’s some pipeline inefficiencies and the problems take too long to get to, so there’s not time to fix them.

All of this is pure speculation, but the history of the game kind of points to stuff like this being probable. Museum of History not being unique, there being tons of weird wording that doesn’t make sense, NBN and Anarch getting all the best cards, etc. I feel like people get this mental image of Damon handcrafting all the cards and numbers himself, but it’s likely a huge effort of many many different people, any one of whom could be the cause of the various balance issues that can be present. The playtesters for the cards are probably no more skilled / experienced than your average group that comes to netrunner tuesdays down at your local game shop.

The tricky part here is that nobody can refute your speculation, as any playtesters are going to be unable to directly contradict you due to the NDAs involved, doubly so for a product that is yet to be officially released, and any other party is not going to have the information about how FFG does their playtesting.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Damon posted on Twitter that he isn't leaving, he was changing privacy stuff due to racist harassment (whoever did this ought to gently caress OFF) and misclicked some things.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Slio posted:

Also Prey will kill any piece of ice just as dead as cutlery. e: FOR ZEROSIFR CARDS

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 4, 2017

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

I look forward to abusing that, then

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Also Prey will kill any piece of ice just as dead as cutlery. e: FOR ZEROSIFR CARDS

Prey is at 'passing Ice', which is after the encounter, so it doesn't work with Sifr much like it didn't work with Datasucker.

To be honest I don't think Sifr adds a lot to an archetype that was already doing its thing just fine without it, but Anarch definitely didn't need the help. It'd be funny to see it work in some kind of Katman build with Atman 0. It's just the latest in a line of ends of the world.

I'm just gonna ride out the tourney season and have fun without taking it all too seriously (bye Blue Sun, though) and patiently wait for Terminal Directive. Netrunner's still a fun game with cool people.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I picked up and started playing the board game, New Angeles which is based in the Android universe. Playing as the Megacorps is super fun and it's making me miss playing the card game. :negative:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
SIFR really wants to make me build a corp deck that goes all-in on corporate troubleshooter recursion.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Goon League 3!

I'm gonna try to stay out of the SIFR fray because this post is to let everyone know that I've started a new thread for the next Jinteki league. There are multiple formats available this time, so I apologize that the sign-up is more complicated. You can watch this twee info video if you're confused.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Hannibal Rex posted:

SIFR really wants to make me build a corp deck that goes all-in on corporate troubleshooter recursion.
I don't think Corporate Troubleshooter would actually do anything. SIFR triggers on encounter and there's no window between encounter and resolving/breaking subs. So you'd have to fire Troubleshooter on approach, and then when the encounter happens its effect would get nullified by SIFR's.

edit: Batty / Enforcer is clearly the supar sekret anti-SIFR tech :v:

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 4, 2017

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Marcus Batty / Enforcer 1.0 new meta :c00lbert:

Edit: Nooooo too slow! Now working on counter-Enforcer strats.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 4, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

There is some counterplay to SIFR, I suppose, or at least to the ice-destruction bit of it. Architect, Magnet, Tithonium, Lotus Field. Friends in High Places. Mushin/Overwriter/ManUps decks, I guess. Playing PE, maybe. I suspect a lot of that will be bad against every deck that isn't SIFR, though.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Zephro posted:

There is some counterplay to SIFR, I suppose

Yes, picking CtM.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Lichtenstein posted:

Yes, picking CtM.
Yeah, that too, heh.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

One miniscule silver lining to the entire thing is, once SIFR hits jinteki.net and finds its way into 98% of decks played there due to the hivemind meta I think it'll be pretty funny to make a yellow gimmick deck based entirely around on encounter effects of ICE.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Parasite errata one-per-deck?

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Friends in High Places is a really really good answer to high volume ice destruction. Your $2, 1 inf operation gets back your ice plus a money asset to pay for it. Or just a second piece of ice. Or a Jackson to put 2-3 FIHP back into your deck.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Lichtenstein posted:

One miniscule silver lining to the entire thing is, once SIFR hits jinteki.net and finds its way into 98% of decks played there due to the hivemind meta I think it'll be pretty funny to make a yellow gimmick deck based entirely around on encounter effects of ICE.

Except they don't trigger in a world of Clone Para Sifr.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Awful app ate my post for some reason :-|

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 4, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Time to make a CTM deck with no ice.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

Time to make a CTM deck with no ice.

Keep the pop up windows as a statement.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I dug up my old jinteki account! Any goons around for some core set games? I am pretty bad.

Also I imagine y'all have some spot where you yell at each other to play nerdrunner. Is there some kind of channel or whatever?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ahmigerd, Corp spoilers from Quorum. We've seen some before (Chiyashi, Stinson, Violet Level Clearance) but a lot are new:

https://imgur.com/a/UUUD9

Veritas looks potentially decent, a 3-sub sentry for 4 creds, even if none of the subs are massively impactful by themselves
Macrophage is, um, very specific? I guess?
Psychokinesis looks fun, having access to the top 5 of your stack is a powerful effect, especially since you can install them into existing servers.
Sensor Net Activation could be fun for the surprise Janus, but not sure it's strong enough for a 3/1, which is what I presume it is.
Net Quarantine is link hate, which feels too specific to be playable right now but might be good in future?
I really like Stinson. You could hedge fund, install and rez Stinson, use Stinson as your turn 1 and finish on 16 credits. That's could be a decent opening for a supermodernism deck.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 5, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Macrophage needs to get in my aribhatra tech deck yesterday. Chief slee too

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Macrophage is hilarious and I will put one in Blue Sun and forget about it forever. It will go on R&D and make Mediums a thing of the past (note - will not make Mediums a thing of the past).

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Zephro posted:

I really like Stinson. You could hedge fund, install and rez Stinson, use Stinson as your turn 1 and finish on 16 credits. That's could be a decent opening for a supermodernism deck.

You can also get 15 credits in a click by hitting a Restructure with it. That's insane.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Play him out of GRNDL to get 30 credits turn 1

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My FLGS has The Underway thru Escalation for 70% off.

Is there any reason not to buy them?

I currently own the first 15 or so data packs from when they first came out.

Edit: i am at the store now... so any thoughts are helpful.

Edit 2: i left them on the bargain table, but might go back tomorrow. So please let me know if this is still a deal.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 6, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dexefiend posted:

My FLGS has The Underway thru Escalation for 70% off.

Is there any reason not to buy them?

I currently own the first 15 or so data packs from when they first came out.

Edit: i am at the store now... so any thoughts are helpful.

Edit 2: i left them on the bargain table, but might go back tomorrow. So please let me know if this is still a deal.

Do it, they won't rotate out for quite a while.

Edit: ahh, barely missed you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Kaethela posted:

You can also get 15 credits in a click by hitting a Restructure with it. That's insane.

That good old Reversed Accounts->dedication ceremony can make for a hell of a turnaround this way.

Also, I just noticed he can recur Paywall Implementation, which is kinda cool.

(Color) Level Clearances too, but I think the most mileage is out of Blue where you can ignore the Double cost.

• Locked thread