Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I really hope trump isnt playing some crazy 13 dimensional chess and we've been underestimating him for forever

actually he just has a genie in a bottle lamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JacksLibido posted:

I would say it's significantly harder to get into equivalent positions though. Of all the people I know who've gotten out at their 8 year mark (I'm a 12R), every one of them has taken a pay cut. I don't have a single friend from college or who got out of the AF who makes more than me, barring pilots who got out at 10 to fly commercial... but you're talking management.

Air Force officers tend to be technically focused, and many of those technical focus areas don't translate well to the civilian world, so I can see where that would cause issues. The Army and Marines use their officers in a very different way that focuses on management rather than technical acumen, so it's sort of an apples and oranges comparison. I'm not trying to start a branch pissing match, just pointing out the obvious difference here.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

A Handed Missus posted:

Trump inauguration: Clintons and Bushes to attend ceremony :toot:

Another former White House incumbent, George HW Bush, 92, has already said he will not attend the event, citing his age.

This is an amazingly worded sentence and I wish I knew the word for this phenomenon.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Correct, but I'm also not sure how the new laws are worded. So probably 90% safe? I don't know.

Okay I'm 90% less freaked out

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/816418441523580928

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

JacksLibido posted:

I would say it's significantly harder to get into equivalent positions though. Of all the people I know who've gotten out at their 8 year mark (I'm a 12R), every one of them has taken a pay cut. I don't have a single friend from college or who got out of the AF who makes more than me, barring pilots who got out at 10 to fly commercial... but you're talking management.

The pilots I know who get out at 10 don't have any trouble getting picked up for a national carrier, Southwest etc. While they take a paycut in the beginning after 5-7 years they're on par with their military friends, then from there they just flat out make more.

As a taxpayer you SHOULDN'T want people in Barracks. People in barracks = 1 single contractor (who probably got that contract through corruption) getting paid. With BAH it's pretty much your tax dollars paying military salaries paying rent to local businesses/buying local housing. Your money is going back to the local community rather than some contractor who's overcharging because they have a general/senator friend keeping them with the contract.

Fine, they can have BAH, but they have to use it on a tiny house.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

JacksLibido posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's that high only for a 10year commitment, it's paid out over the entire 10 years (not 500k/year... if it IS 500k) and is taxed. Besides that though THAT bonus is only paid to 11F and 11B I think, ABMs get a smaller one (if one at all) and 12's get nothing. The AF is already predicting something like a 95% promotion rate for the 08 Majors board, I don't think they can promote enough fast enough to keep up with people leaving if the pay drops much more.

You're right, but still. Next to astronaut, fighter pilot is one of the coolest loving jobs in the world that takes years of effort to pull off. And even at "only" a taxed 50k bonus each year, on top of the ~100-120k they're making otherwise, they are marching out the loving door.

How lovely does it have to be for that to happen? I honestly know exactly ONE guy who took the bonus this year.

Red Crown posted:

:stare: At 95%, it's not even a selection process. I get that having people in cockpits is required to have the planes fly and all but there's no way that bodes well down the line in terms of leadership quality.

This has been happening almost continuously since 1992, so yeah. You're absolutely right and the proof is in the Pentagon. For gently caress's sake, only a few months ago the CSAF told Congress under oath that "Morale is pretty darn good."

holocaust bloopers posted:

I dont believe the GI Bill housing is funded exactly like BAH. It's the same amount as E-5 for the area, but it isn't BAH. Vasudus?

Monthly Housing Allowance, technically.

JacksLibido posted:

This checks with basically everyone I know who got out, except guys who became contractors in CENTCOM.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 4, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

gently caress this generation.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

If you want to read about the Obama era the NYT is currently doing a big piece on this. Currently 4 out of 6 articles are available.

The Regulator in Chief

quote:

Blocked for most of his presidency by Congress, Mr. Obama has sought to act however he could. In the process he created the kind of government neither he nor the Republicans wanted — one that depended on bureaucratic bulldozing rather than legislative transparency. But once Mr. Obama got the taste for it, he pursued his executive power without apology, and in ways that will shape the presidency for decades to come.

The Obama administration in its first seven years finalized 560 major regulations — those classified by the Congressional Budget Office as having particularly significant economic or social impacts. That was nearly 50 percent more than the George W. Bush administration during the comparable period, according to data kept by the regulatory studies center at George Washington University.

The Threat to the Planet

quote:

Bombs may not be falling. The sound of gunfire does not concentrate the mind. What Mr. Obama has seen instead are the charts and graphs of a warming planet. “And they’re terrifying,” he said in a recent interview in Honolulu.

“What makes climate change difficult is that it is not an instantaneous catastrophic event,” he said. “It’s a slow-moving issue that, on a day-to-day basis, people don’t experience and don’t see.”

The "Good" War

quote:

“The fever in this room has finally broken,” the warlord told the group, according to a person in the meeting. “We’re no longer in nation-building mode.”

What Mr. Obama meant was that no one in the Situation Room that day, himself included, thought that the United States — after 14 years of war, billions of dollars spent and more than 2,000 American lives lost — would ever transform Afghanistan into a semblance of a democracy able to defend itself.

The Health Care Revolution

quote:

FISHERS, Ind. — Fragments of bone and cartilage arced across the operating room as Dr. R. Michael Meneghini drilled into the knee of his first patient at a hospital here at dawn. Within an hour, the 66-year-old woman had a replacement joint made of titanium and cobalt chrome, and she was sent home the next day.

But the Obama administration was watching over her caregivers’ shoulders. If, over three months, her medical costs exceeded a target amount set by President Obama’s health regulators in Washington, Dr. Meneghini’s employer, Indiana University Health, stood to lose money.

Such efforts to squeeze spending out of the nation’s health system may well remain as Mr. Obama exits the West Wing and Donald J. Trump takes his seat in the Oval Office. The Affordable Care Act is in extreme peril, and Mr. Obama will meet with congressional Democrats at the Capitol on Wednesday to try to devise a strategy that can stave off the quick-strike repeal of the health law that Republicans plan for the opening months of the Trump administration.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Happy morning!

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/816621583775256576

Ps: https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/816620002610728960

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 4, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm actually starting to believe that he may be impeached by this time next year.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

America is getting punked right?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Adds he adds he

Asante

Assam he

My autocorrect doesn't work like Trump's

E: In current event news, lawmakers (Ted Cruz in particular) introduced a bill that would set term limits for congress. my question is: isn't that what voting is for? if you want to limit congressional terms, just vote the fucker out. now i know the average voter needs protection from themselves, and people don't pay attention to downticket races (people don't really pay attention to anything, really) but how are people this dense?

that's a rhetorical question.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 4, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/israel-braces-verdict-manslaughter-trial-soldier-elor-arazia-n702961

Israeli soldier who executed man in the street found guilty of manslaughter.

In the video, it's not only clear he just decided to kill an incapacitated person, but he shoots past his buddies to do so. :downs:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

TBeats posted:

Adds he adds he

Asante

Assam he

My autocorrect doesn't work like Trump's

E: In current event news, lawmakers (Ted Cruz in particular) introduced a bill that would set term limits for congress. my question is: isn't that what voting is for? if you want to limit congressional terms, just vote the fucker out. now i know the average voter needs protection from themselves, and people don't pay attention to downticket races (people don't really pay attention to anything, really) but how are people this dense?

that's a rhetorical question.

You are correct that elections are term limiters. Imposing term limits on legislators is a terrible idea for a bunch of reason:

1.) it makes bipartisanship actions more difficult, legislators often don't have enough time to get to know members from the other side of the aisle and build those professional relationships
2.) increases the power of lobbyists. Despite what people may think, being a good lawmaker is hard and requires quite a bit of on the job experience. That's why representatives and senators who have been in Congress for years are so effective and influential. They also serve as mentors to junior members. Get rid of that organizational experience and welp... just ask your friends at <lobbying firm/interest group> about this bill that you're being asked to vote on.
3.) Ted Cruz wants it, that should be all you need to know

Michigan has term limits for the state legislature and it is wildly believed to be the cause of a lot of our governmental dysfunction. Folks are getting term-limited out of office just as they are hitting their stride.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

what the gently caress is dabbing? Is it a drug thing?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Belgian Waffle posted:

what the gently caress is dabbing? Is it a drug thing?

It's a dance move popularized by blacks that has slowly been killed by rich white people

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You are correct that elections are term limiters. Imposing term limits on legislators is a terrible idea for a bunch of reason:

1.) it makes bipartisanship actions more difficult, legislators often don't have enough time to get to know members from the other side of the aisle and build those professional relationships
2.) increases the power of lobbyists. Despite what people may think, being a good lawmaker is hard and requires quite a bit of on the job experience. That's why representatives and senators who have been in Congress for years are so effective and influential. They also serve as mentors to junior members. Get rid of that organizational experience and welp... just ask your friends at <lobbying firm/interest group> about this bill that you're being asked to vote on.

Michigan has term limits for the state legislature and it is wildly believed to be the cause of a lot of our governmental dysfunction. Folks are getting term-limited out of office just as they are hitting their stride.

Depends on the term limit. Aren't you full of old fucks on a gravy train who are only after self interest or lobbyists and "what are regular people?"
If people vote by party alone on "down ticket" voting because they are otherwise apathetic, then it's the parties who decide who gets the job, not the voters who want representation of a live body in government, but can't really get it. They are just stuck with whoever most of the time due to internal party politics.

E: It's similar here, people favoured by the party get put in safe seats for an easy win and can stay in politics as long as they like. But others have to earn it in contested areas and often fail unless they can sell themselves personally to the district by actually going out of their way for their constituents.
But it still kind of works here because we have a preferential system where third party votes aren't wasted, sometimes minor parties or independent candidates can get a seat and keep it if they do the right thing by the population. And as soon as they slack off or sell out, they are voted out.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 4, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Term limits for legislators is a terrible idea and isn't a good solution to the issues you're talking about. Namely, term limits don't force people to give a gently caress about non-presidential races, the party just chooses who the replacement will be anyway.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I figure it will also give an advantage to the party with gerrymandering in their favor as more races turn into generic newcomer R vs generic newcomer D.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Not surprising anyone, democratic senators chose not to toss decorum into the wind and call a vote on Garland during the gap between when the old senators and new senators were sworn in, and thus his nomination has expired.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not surprising anyone, democratic senators chose not to toss decorum into the wind and call a vote on Garland during the gap between when the old senators and new senators were sworn in, and thus his nomination has expired.

Man the Republicans won so big on blocking Garland.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Man the Republicans won so big on blocking Garland.

I'm really hoping Trump nominates Ivanka or some other completely unsuitable candidate. Congrats on your win fuckers!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/911VICTIM/status/283408621373624320

:iceburn:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vengarr posted:

I'm really hoping Trump nominates Ivanka or some other completely unsuitable candidate. Congrats on your win fuckers!

I'm putting the odds of this happening (an unsuitable candidate, not specifically ivanka) at 64.3333 repeating per cent.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Holy hell thats awesome.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TBeats posted:

I'm putting the odds of this happening (an unsuitable candidate, not specifically ivanka) at 64.3333 repeating per cent.

Thank you Leroy.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm at pdx right now why are fighter jets tearing out of here so fast it's shaking the entire airport?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Diamond Joe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw0VHumrTtQ

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm at pdx right now why are fighter jets tearing out of here so fast it's shaking the entire airport?

142nd getting frisky?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Because there's an ANG base there? I used to fly in and out of PDX a lot when I was a kid and I always saw an F-15 take off or land while I was there.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Do you know where that's from?
Looks to be cut to be clickbait but I want to hear more. Would love to know where the whole thing is.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 4, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

The only time you should poo poo your pants watching military jets taking off is a MITO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ7niLYSVFo

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ypgpoP02JM

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

https://twitter.com/RickDevensWGXA/status/816602498073038848

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The only time you should poo poo your pants watching military jets taking off is a MITO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ7niLYSVFo

Does look awesome though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fo3 posted:

Do you know where that's from?
Looks to be cut to be clickbait but I want to hear more. Would love to know where the whole thing is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvYWngwtwQU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
:tipshat:
I really like that guy. Down here we've only had narcissists, onion eater lizard men, drolls, blandos, potato heads, or genuine horrible people in charge of our country for around 20 years (exception of a short term of Julia Gillard but that came with a lot of baggage due to a party decision of doing a leadership coup, kicking out a residing PM)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 4, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/816714242359513088

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Here's the video for those who haven't seen it. A dude gets shot in the head in this video, so potentially :nws: :nms:

He takes the shot around 1:50 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFZE7DI8_ec

maybe if he gets away with the murder, he can be charged for recklessly endangering the rest of the Israelis pulling perimeter security when he just blasts a round into the guy/ground next to them.

• Locked thread