Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where did all those radiators come from anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

RBA Starblade posted:

the last home appliances of krypton

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Wayne Enterprises, obviously.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In the extended version, yeah.

Even then it's only the one guy. Bruce's hands are already sullied, it's not like Lex made him start branding, it had a clear purpose before Lex played into it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TetsuoTW posted:

Wayne Enterprises, obviously.

Radiators, statues of Jesus for Superman to stand next to, cross-shaped debris. Wayne Industries' biggest money maker is objects for making visual references or metaphors. It's a boom industry in the DCCU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
They should've had Batman try to brand Superman while he was weakened and it just hisses and sizzles like the biker bar scene in T2. Bonus points if Superman was naked at the time.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

See, obviously Batman was never going to actually kill Superman, it was all just some WWE type hype to grow the business until that rear end in a top hat Luthor had to go and gently caress it all up.

Violator
May 15, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a big broken down building, so I assumed that as workers went through room by room and gutted the place they would throw the radiators down into the center to collect them later for removal and as scrap.

What was the building, anyway? Was it an old Wayne building that he was familiar with? Like it was broken down just like Wayne Manor was? Was this on or near the docks that Wayne owns that they fight Doomsday at later?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Violator posted:

It's a big broken down building, so I assumed that as workers went through room by room and gutted the place they would throw the radiators down into the center to collect them later for removal and as scrap.

What was the building, anyway? Was it an old Wayne building that he was familiar with? Like it was broken down just like Wayne Manor was? Was this on or near the docks that Wayne owns that they fight Doomsday at later?
In the establishing shot of the building, you can see a sign that says Acme Radiator Factory.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Superman has only two weaknesses: Kryptonite and high-humidity.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And leggy brunettes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Slugworth posted:

In the establishing shot of the building, you can see a sign that says Acme Radiator Factory.
Did Superman kill the Road Runner when he tackled him?

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I found this piece of BvS concept art:

Which is a pastiche of Renaissance Christian painting, but I don't remember it being in the movie, just the Lamentation of Christ shot. Am I remembering wrong? Were there any other Renaissance painting type shots in MoS/BvS? I'm kinda curious now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Which is a pastiche of Renaissance Christian painting, but I don't remember it being in the movie, just the Lamentation of Christ shot. Am I remembering wrong? Were there any other Renaissance painting type shots in MoS/BvS? I'm kinda curious now.
There's a similar shot, but nothing as striking as that, unfortunately.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

"That isn't helping Batman"

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

RBA Starblade posted:

"That isn't helping Batman"

Apparently that guy's in a lot of these paintings and I never noticed him. That's not his usual pose, though. I think the BvS one is based on Rembrandt's:

And I think the Lamentation shot is too? Before I thought it was just generally based on those paintings, but the lighting and composition are really similar.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

The eventual shot was a Pietà. This is the best screenshot I could find googling. Apologies.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Batman views and thus treats Superman exactly like he does the criminal in the first pic. He is wrong about Superman because his fears blind him. Could it be that his approach to fighting criminals is similarly misguided? Could it be that Batman... is wrong?

Ok see, how do we know that its batmans point of view and not say, a statement that they are both monsters? The human slaver is a monster who hurts people, and by linking Superman to that guy the movie may well be saying that Superman is someone who hurts people and is thus evil.
I mean, we aren't meant to symphatize or root for thr slaver, are we?

We also have the future flash saying Bats was right about Supes, further backing up bats crazy 1% theory. Whats not to say batman is right?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

McCloud posted:

We should probably understand that the slaver is a person, and due justice for their crimes rather than summary execution.

You seem to be asking "surely we can treat this person as an inhuman monster to be killed for our pleasure"?

Snyder is saying "that slaver has a mother."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

McCloud posted:

The whole point of Christ is that He's the lowest of the low, all the people you hate and despise, up their on the cross, and He loves you and dies for you anyway. He's not a popular guy.

It's totally about redemption, and Batman is the bad guy because the movie points out (especially in the Ultimate Cut) that even a complete piece of poo poo slaver doesn't deserve summary justice. Batman's crusade ends up with the slaver (who has a girlfriend and kid) dead by the hands of the corrupt cops that Batman is "helping", and it also further drives Superman into conflict with Batman.

Batman isn't right. That's the whole point of the Martha scene - that Superman is the good guy, when he's down to his last breath he's thinking about saving his mother. While Batman is thinking about murdering him for his imagined future crimes.

One of the last things Batman says before his conversion: "You're not even a man." Classic dehumanization. "Criminals are like weeds, Alfred." The movie takes a very dim view of this.

Whoops! What I meant to say was: there's nothing here, this movie is a greyblob failure grimdark plot-hole mess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hodgepodge posted:

Snyder is saying "that slaver has a mother."

Her name's Jane, though.

quote:

One of the last things Batman says before his conversion: "You're not even a man."

Technically correct. :v:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

One of the last things Batman says before his conversion: "You're not even a man."

He's not a man, this Jerry. He's not even married like I am.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

RBA Starblade posted:

Her name's Jane, though.

Batman has taken a lot of head trauma in the course of his career.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I've always thought this composition is a little weird because the staging of Superman is weird. He's crotch first to the camera and that doesn't seem like the optimum way to show his broken corpse. The paintings Hand Knit posted do a much better job.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

One of the last things Batman says before his conversion: "You're not even a man." Classic dehumanization.

And also accurate. Batman is saying Clark's rarely if ever needed to be brave - Bruce Wayne is a mundane human being who thinks he can take on Superman, and that takes a level of courage Supes doesn't have because that situation's just not relevant to him (and won't be until Darkseid or some such shows up). Batman's tearing down Supes' mythos and reminding him that he is indeed mortal.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

And also accurate. Batman is saying Clark's rarely if ever needed to be brave - Bruce Wayne is a mundane human being who thinks he can take on Superman, and that takes a level of courage Supes doesn't have because that situation's just not relevant to him (and won't be until Darkseid or some such shows up). Batman's tearing down Supes' mythos and reminding him that he is indeed mortal.

Yeah how brave can Superman be when he has to pick a fight with multiple people just as powerful as he is but far, FAR more skilled, and also with a killing intent and having ever fought any time in their life even once

Clark never went through anything like that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Burkion posted:

Yeah how brave can Superman be when he has to pick a fight with multiple people just as powerful as he is but far, FAR more skilled, and also with a killing intent and having ever fought any time in their life even once

I like Batman as a character much more than Superman, but MoS was just a better movie than BvS in every way.

The Christ metaphors are a little too on the nose and constant in both movies though.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Burkion posted:

Not to mention that he's been warned that humans might try to kill him since childhood. And Clark never mistakes humans for harmless children.

Bruce, meanwhile, has faced his trauma as one of the most powerful people in the world and treats other people as toys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Burkion posted:

That would mean something if Clark had so much as suffered a hair knocked out of place at any point in his movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In the comics, the Kryptonians call a killing intent the "Satsui no Hado"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I like Batman as a character much more than Superman, but MoS was just a better movie than BvS in every way.

The Christ metaphors are a little too on the nose and constant in both movies though.

I love Man of Steel but I still wish that before snapping Zod's neck he tries to block the heat vision with his hands but is thrown back in pain, "JESUS CHRIST!" a bystander screams as a generic expression of shock that something could mortally hurt Superman as we see a shot of Superman splayed back in pain for a moment with a bloody wound on each hand. Like if you're gonna be on the nose just own it as has as possible in every scene and not look back.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cythereal posted:

That would mean something if Clark had so much as suffered a hair knocked out of place at any point in his movie.

That's weak. He's clearly in pain.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Can you imagine what the grimdark crowd would have said if - in addition to the destruction of the city and the loss of life and Zod's snapped neck - you had a visibly bloody and bruised Superman at the end?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You mean like in Death of Superman? Just tore the gently caress up and covered in blood? The movie would have had no online detractors - because they all would have had a stroke and died in the theater.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

If you say so. I never got the impression Supes was ever in danger in the movie, which remains my biggest complaint about it. Doesn't help that in the Superman persona he has the personality depth of cardboard, only letting some personality and character shine as Clark Kent.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Violator posted:

I've always thought this composition is a little weird because the staging of Superman is weird. He's crotch first to the camera and that doesn't seem like the optimum way to show his broken corpse. The paintings Hand Knit posted do a much better job.

There's lamentation paintings like that but the composition is very different.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cythereal posted:

If you say so. I never got the impression Supes was ever in danger in the movie

Then that was your choice, for ignoring the extremely obvious tells (yelps of pain, lying stunned on the ground, being knocked out, being unable to stand up straight after a particularly vicious throw, grimacing) that he is.

Edit: I just rewatched the Smallville fight on Youtube to make sure I wasn't misremembering and I wasn't. Plus, the first time he goes for a punch and Faora dodges he looks pretty drat shook.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 5, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Then that was your choice, for ignoring the extremely obvious tells (yelps of pain, lying stunned on the ground, being knocked out, being unable to stand up straight after a particularly vicious throw, grimacing) that he is.

Edit: I just rewatched the Smallville fight on Youtube to make sure I wasn't misremembering and I wasn't. Plus, the first time he goes for a punch and Faora dodges he looks pretty drat shook.

But he never gets visually messed up? His costume doesn't get torn, he doesn't get scraped up, his hair doesn't get mussed, right?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I mean, we don't see Superman's guts hanging out at any time during the movie. There's no X-ray shots of brain trauma. I don't think we even get him trying to breath with a busted ribcage.

Frankly, the scene lacked tension entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Deadpool is nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay at the Writer's Guild Awards. Probably the last superhero or comic book adaptation people would have expected years ago.

• Locked thread