Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
thats even better than my arrangement. Its expensive but this stuff all comes from legt sources in colo mostly..

anyway, also getting something called sunset sherbet that reviews say is related to girl scout cookies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

my guy just text me saying he has a bunch of new varieties in including BLUE DREAM which ive been seeking for months now

:hellyeah:

Imagine CVS texting you that they got some hot new medication called MUMBO JUMBO in.

Maybe this kind of bullshit is why weed still isn't taken seriously as medicine?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tenspott posted:

Imagine CVS texting you that they got some hot new medication called MUMBO JUMBO in.

Maybe this kind of bullshit is why weed still isn't taken seriously as medicine?

I promise you that the people who decided that CBD is Schedule I absolutely do not give a single flying gently caress about goofy strain names, also states are implementing MMJ programs at a very rapidly increasing pace, so weed is actually being taken more seriously as medicine than ever before and it's gaining steam, hth

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

tenspott posted:

im imagining it and it sounds loving dope i dont see the issue :shrug:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

tenspott posted:

CVS doesn't even sell cigarettes any more so I doubt they'd ever sell weed.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
its more likely that weed will continue to trend towards being as socially acceptable as beer and wine and people will be discussing the particulars of strains like they do fine wines (people already do in legal states). the stigma is quickly disappearing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

thathonkey posted:

its more likely that weed will continue to trend towards being as socially acceptable as beer and wine and people will be discussing the particulars of strains like they do fine wines (people already do in legal states). the stigma is quickly disappearing.

:agreed:

serious wine and beer people are every bit as doofy-sounding. I'm well aware of how dumb it sounds when the guy at the liquor store by me calls me to let me know about the shipment of locally brewed single-hop Citra IPA they just got in. Wine people have far more ridiculous and specific descriptors for the wines they taste.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's kind of funny but also kind of sad when I see my parents and all their friends at holidays. I'm almost 100% sure nearly all of them smoke weed now, but the stigma is so ingrained in them that nobody wants to be the first person to bring it up and have a conversation about it, even as they discuss at length the wines they're drinking.

It is funny to see how closely they toe the line sometimes, like the one family friend who's referred to passing the wine bottle around as "puff puff pass" the last few gatherings :v:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

tenspott posted:

gently caress CVS I get all of my medical advise from a neon green butterfly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdt7yn2BoU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tenspott posted:

do you think the names given to drugs by pharma companies make any more sense?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

not the brand names but generic chemical names follow a pretty sane naming convention

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

basic hitler posted:

not the brand names but generic chemical names follow a pretty sane naming convention

yes and the actual chemical components in weed follow that same naming convention. the silly names for different strains do the same job as the silly names pharma companies use for drugs, it's branding.

none of this has anything at all to do with how seriously any of the substances are taken as medicine. marijuana has more silly strain names than in previous eras and, at the same time, it's taken more seriously as medicine than in the past.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Earwicker posted:

do you think the names given to drugs by pharma companies make any more sense?

i was typing a post along these lines. pharm medications get made up names too that are meant to sound pleasant or soothing or salubrious or whatever the gently caress theyre going for like "lunesta" "ambien" etc

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i think the difference here is that those strains represent sometimes trivial variances in alkaloid content and medicine usually doesn't 'do' like that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

basic hitler posted:

The actual compound names may look to the passing eye like they're getting more complicated and weird, but they do still follow conventions. Anti-cancer drugs are the main one I hear people talking about; their names sound really bizarre; for example Brentuximab sounds like a collection of random syllables, but the -tuxi- part indicates it's of chimeric origin (as opposed to strictly human [-tumu-] or mouse-originating [-tumo-] among others), and the -mab part indicates it's a monoclonal antibody as opposed to some other type of protein or compound.

On the other side, entire books could be (and probably have been) written about pharmaceutical brand names. Those brands may sound weird but millions of dollars went into researching if a name "feels" right based on what it does. Ambien and Lunesta are good examples in that they're pretty obviously evocative of sleep, but even the weirder ones more than likely have been found to trigger sympathetic responses or whatever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

basic hitler posted:

i think the difference here is that those strains represent sometimes trivial variances in alkaloid content and medicine usually doesn't 'do' like that.

lol yes it certainly does. "welbutrin" and "zyban" are the exact same drug (bupropion), one is marketed as an antidepressant and the other is marketed as a smoking cessation aid.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Earwicker posted:

lol yes it certainly does. "welbutrin" and "zyban" are the exact same drug, one is marketed as an antidepressant and the other is marketed as a smoking cessation aid.

When you take bupropion at different dosages and your body becomes conditioned to it; it acts well as both, absolutely.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

concerta is literally just time-release ritalin is another example. Also ADHD drugs are frequently also prescribed to people with narcolepsy. TBH, on an empirical level that actually makes a lot more sense, "give amphetamines to people who can't stay awake" vs "give amphetamines to people who already can't sit still"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I think regardless of the origins of these names there's no evidence that the silliness of weed strain names is leading to any sort of decline in its use as medicine.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Those amphetamines produce calmness in people with actual ADD ive seen it and its freaky to be high as poo poo and tweaking on adderall and the guy next to you is just sitting there chillin

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

I think regardless of the origins of these names there's no evidence that the silliness of weed strain names is leading to any sort of decline in its use as medicine.

Also, "sour diesel is a sativa-dominant with a distinct lemony flavor" is about as helpful/legit as "Excedrin is a combination of aspirin and caffeine." Robitussin Cough, Cold & Cough, and Severe Cold all have similar brand names but different quantities/types of drugs in them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

basic hitler posted:

Those amphetamines produce calmness in people with actual ADD ive seen it and its freaky to be high as poo poo and tweaking on adderall and the guy next to you is just sitting there chillin

I'm one of those! It's less calmness and more focus, which leads to a calmer appearance since I'm not bouncing around from topic to topic rapidfire. Put a kid on Adderall who usually responds really well in an empty room and they'll behave the same way as a meth-head. That calm affect is way less "this drug is relaxing me" and way more "this drug is amping me the gently caress up but I'm also totally zeroed in on what I need to get done."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

Also, "sour diesel is a sativa-dominant with a distinct lemony flavor" is about as helpful/legit as "Excedrin is a combination of aspirin and caffeine." Robitussin Cough, Cold & Cough, and Severe Cold all have similar brand names but different quantities/types of drugs in them.

yeah maybe weed should try that direction

is regular Blue Dream Bored at Work not quite cutting it? try our new Blue Dream Severely Bored and Stuck in an All Day Meeting

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

yeah maybe weed should try that direction

is regular Blue Dream Bored at Work not quite cutting it? try our new Blue Dream Severely Bored and Stuck in an All Day Meeting

Yeah I mean if you do coding from home as a job or whatever, it would be pretty helpful to be able to assume that a strain called Eureka or Concentration is probably a better fit for you than a strain called Trainwreck or Mind Eraser or whatever. (Which is not a great example since Trainwreck is a real strain and is strongly sativa-dominant :v:)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Trainwreck, for when Management Thinks "Going Agile" and Inviting 20 Consultants Into the Office Will Get Things Back on Schedule

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is there a weed strain called euthanasia that just kills u

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Trainwreck, for when Management Thinks "Going Agile" and Inviting 20 Consultants Into the Office Will Get Things Back on Schedule

a 20-person smoke session/game plan meeting in the boardroom is not even close to the worst idea I've ever heard

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

purple death ray posted:

Is there a weed strain called euthanasia that just kills u

no but i heard there's a strain that makes you think you're a deer

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My dad has a friend who had a stroke so half his face is paralyzed, I remember the first time me and my sis met him my dad talked to us and said something like, "My friend can't move the right side of his face, this happened to him because he decided to try weed for the first time, don't be like him guys stay away from weed."

It worked pretty loving well until I turned 16 and was like, gently caress it, I don't care if my face becomes paralyzed. Thankfully my face is fine, besides the horrible ugliness.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

a bone to pick posted:

My dad has a friend who had a stroke so half his face is paralyzed, I remember the first time me and my sis met him my dad talked to us and said something like, "My friend can't move the right side of his face, this happened to him because he decided to try weed for the first time, don't be like him guys stay away from weed."

It worked pretty loving well until I turned 16 and was like, gently caress it, I don't care if my face becomes paralyzed. Thankfully my face is fine, besides the horrible ugliness.

Your dad needs to stop taking parenting advice from Arrested Development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNZsWIzEhP4

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kelp Me! posted:

Close enough

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Strawberry Cough, Perfect for the Opera!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kelp Me! posted:

You're a dear please fetchmy blanket

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

fyodor posted:

You're a dear please fetchmy blanket

:jumps in front of ur car and freezes:

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Kelp Me! posted:

I promise you that the people who decided that CBD is Schedule I absolutely do not give a single flying gently caress about goofy strain names,

No, but the people who vote for those people think all consumers of marihunana are one joint away from a reefer rage induced raping spree. I know that if I were a pot addict, I sure a Hell wouldn't advertise it by wearing pot clothes, listening to pot music, or having a pot haircut. I'd do my best to hide it by looking like a normal human.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tenspott posted:

No, but the people who vote for those people think all consumers of marihunana are one joint away from a reefer rage induced raping spree.

I don't think that's really the case these days. It was true in earlier days of the War on Drugs but I don't think a significant voting portion of the American public really holds that view of weed anymore, there are probably more people on the right and left that agree about weed than otherwise, the reason it's still illegal in much of the country at this point is inertia and investment in the law enforcement/prison system. In many parts of the country - even in places where its still illegal - that stigma is long gone.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
http://time.com/money/4622174/donald-trump-inauguration-day-free-marijuana/

quote:

As a response to a potential threat to legal weed, a Washington, D.C.-based group is planning an epic pot giveaway to coincide with the inauguration of Donald Trump on Tuesday, January 20. The plan, organized by DCMJ, which spearheaded the earlier effort to legalize the growing and possession of pot in the District, is to gather at DuPont Circle at 8 a.m., and then march to National Mall. “Along the way we’ll hand out 4,200 joints of legally grown cannabis!” a statement from DCMJ explains.

I didn't want to go to the inauguration but I tihnk I have to now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tenspott posted:

No, but the people who vote for those people think all consumers of marihunana are one joint away from a reefer rage induced raping spree.

for total legalization:

for medical usage:
http://www.inc.com/will-yakowicz/quinnipiac-poll-89-percent-voters-support-medical-marijuana.html

quote:

The poll, which was released Monday, finds that 89 percent of U.S. voters support allowing adults to legally use marijuana for medical purposes if prescribed by a doctor. Medical marijuana is a nonpartisan issue, the poll finds, with 81 percent of Republicans, 94 percent of Democrats, and 93 percent of Independent voters all say medical pot should be legal.

tenspott posted:

I know that if I were a pot addict, I sure a Hell wouldn't advertise it by wearing pot clothes, listening to pot music, or having a pot haircut. I'd do my best to hide it by looking like a normal human.

wtf is pot music or a pot haircut

also most people don't base their entire identity around 1 specific hobby/fixation hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

wtf is pot music or a pot haircut