Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Social Psychology posted:

My New Year's resolution was to stop making bad decisions

I think I blew it already

yeah i can think of some other uses for ice and lightning orbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Oh god that makes my teeth hurt

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Why would you do this :psyduck:

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
There's this guy on the other end of the spectrum (bolding mine):

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5lyyyo/hoardlord_the_end_of_hoarding_11992_major_orbs/

quote:

After 650 Days of Hoarding, I promised people a "ridiculous" number of hoarded Orbs.

I think I made good on that promise.

Yes, these numbers are real. I didn't just photoshop it.

Yes, I'm aware that this level of 'Orbage' is stupid and there's no possible way I'll ever get rid of some of them. (Like White/Holy.) But everyone needs a hobby.

So far I've never created or honed a single 5* skill.

No, I'm not free to play. Over 3,000 Mythril has gone into refreshes, but I've done a decent number of Relic Draws funded by 60-Hour work weeks (holiday overtime madness!) and waiting for 20% off iTunes specials. Not the best use of my finances, but it's all "mad money" and I enjoy the game, so it's all good.

Yes, I'm actually going to hone this time. I'm planning to wait until after the XIII event drops (hopefully tomorrow night) so I can add Thundering Twinstrike to my Honefest. (This should also let me exceed 12,000 Overall Majors from the XIV Ultimate Rewards.)

Don't expect many (if any!) 5* R5 Skills from my Honefest. I'd rather have skill diversity or multiple copies to hit weakness instead of one more use on Bahamut or Tiamat.

Anyway, tune in this weekend (or maybe Friday) when I "class change" from Hoardlord to Honelord. :D

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mental Breakdown

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm sitting on ~2400 majors right now, after conversion. that's without doing anything special, just clearing events consistently. they give out quite a lot of orbs these days - just the period from dec 19 to jan 4 (orbfest + heir of the dawn (V) event) added over 300. anyone clearing the content would've gotten this many, give or take a few.

what i'm saying is that crazy refresh dude has a lot of orbs, but not that many.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

also i should probably hone some abilities as well. i just haven't really had to. you can get pretty drat far with 4*s plus saint cross.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

saltylopez posted:

quote:

Over 3,000 Mythril has gone into refreshes

Why?? Why would you do that if you're not even gonna use any orbs??? I just :stonklol: that's so many 11x pulls, does not compute, gamers are the worst, etc.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
I have 2259 Major orb equivalents, and I have a lot of R3 5* abilities: Powerchain/Full Charge, Full Break, Dragoon Jump, Thief's Revenge, Saint's Cross, Dark Zone, as well as R2 Multibreak and R2 of all the chain-aga's and sapphire shot. Plus I have R4-5 copies of a lot of 4* skills like the aja's, breakdowns, dismissal, lifesiphon, etc.

Granted I have done some refreshes of previous orbfests, to the tune of about 50-75 mythril total.

Adel posted:

Why?? Why would you do that if you're not even gonna use any orbs??? I just :stonklol: that's so many 11x pulls, does not compute, gamers are the worst, etc.

From the sound of it he has spent quite a lot of money on the game as well. That means if he was going to do refreshes it would actually make more sense to do them with mythril and spend the gems on pulls.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
My current party doesn't have enough healing even with a RW healing BSB, so I was thinking of leveling up one of my two white mage options.

Aethereal Pulse or Miracle Prayer.

Is the primary draw of AP not having to bring protect or shell, freeing up two ability slots?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

KPC_Mammon posted:

My current party doesn't have enough healing even with a RW healing BSB, so I was thinking of leveling up one of my two white mage options.

Aethereal Pulse or Miracle Prayer.

Is the primary draw of AP not having to bring protect or shell, freeing up two ability slots?

Freeing up two slots is really handy, it also lets you get them both up in one action. Major Regen is also really nice for taking the edge off of damage.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

yeah don't underestimate the healing from high regen, it's quite a lot

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Why did I download an update on Android that didn't seem to do anything except remove the phone status bar at the top and the navigation buttons at the bottom? They didn't bother to re-center the screen so it looks really bad.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Shock Trooper posted:

Why did I download an update on Android that didn't seem to do anything except remove the phone status bar at the top and the navigation buttons at the bottom? They didn't bother to re-center the screen so it looks really bad.

Ugh, you too? I can get the bar back by messing with the volume button but that's the only thing I can really do. They should have made it an option, at the very least. Unless it is and I haven't seen it.

EDIT: v He should always Haste as soon as he uses his scripted Light of the Four.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
So twice now I've gone through u+ butts, and twice not mastered. When does he haste? Am I killing him too quickly?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

UrielX posted:

Right now I don't think I have a single summon. Is it worth starting to make those over a set of elemental strikes?
I do have Analyse 2, so was thinking about making a set of ele strikes for Cloud and popping that onto him.

So as far as abilities go, I should always be using the highest level I can (as opposed to having a few more attacks with the lower level)?

I've also been considering breaking down the lower abilities and exchanging the lower level orbs up, is that the right way to be doing it?

Didn't see anyone else replying, so for the questions here, some opinions:

Summons are good, but I'd consider them a lower priority than your first set of spellblades. The 3* versions of them will last a very long time, and continue to be a good way to hit a weakness. Summons are also pretty great, but they're slightly more niche (single targets are a bit more common than multiples) and they're sort of harder to make (summon orbs are almost unfarmable currently.) You'll want to get to them eventually, but spellblades are more universally useful.

For ability levels (I assume you mean like Power Break 3* vs. Power Breakdown), you probably want to look at the total amount of actions you have on a character first. A 4* Breakdown would be more powerful, but if you run out after a few rounds due to it being rank 1, you might get better value from a 3* Break. If a character can take 10-12+ actions in a dungeon without having to use Attack or Defend, you're probably better off than having 4-8 of them. Essentially, lower skill tiers are useful workhorse skills until you have higher tier stuff honed, don't be afraid to use them for a while.

And lastly, I wouldn't shatter abilities of 3* and higher, unless you are absolutely sure you won't need them. 1* and 2* will lose usefulness very quick, but 3* skills are cheap to hone for a lot of uses, and some of them stay useful for very long (like those spellblades I mentioned), and sometimes you just have someone with 3* access to a skill school you want. I shattered my 3* Breaks at a certain point, and regretted it pretty quick and remade them.

For skills to look out for, this is a pretty good guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4hbewc/expanding_your_options_endgame_ability_creation/

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

UrielX posted:

Right now I don't think I have a single summon. Is it worth starting to make those over a set of elemental strikes?
I do have Analyse 2, so was thinking about making a set of ele strikes for Cloud and popping that onto him.
In the short term, it's better to start focusing in getting a good variety of 3* Strikes but if you got a chance to clear the 1st Phase of Orbfest it doesn't hurt to spice it with the Ramuh/Shiva/Ifrit Trio at R3 for AoE/Reflect situations...

Otherwise, Summon Magic can wait a bit longer than other abilities thanks to honing being mandatory and Summon Orbs being harder to farm until the next Daily Dungeons Reset. And it has a clear checklist: the 3* Trio for starters, then for 4* bring Alexander, Leviathan, one Lightning Summon [Syldra, Ixion or Quetzal] and a Non-Elemental [Maduin or Valefor] of your choice. Most 5* and Up are Optional Luxuries to consider (And it's okay to miss the Event Prize Copies) as well as Special Single Target Snowflake Orthros, and Fat Chocobo is gonna be a New Year Freebie... The rest are not worth any Orb Investment, in my opinion.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Inge posted:

So twice now I've gone through u+ butts, and twice not mastered. When does he haste? Am I killing him too quickly?

He hastes when he uses his BSB at around 40%.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inge posted:

When does he haste?

at 40% health he uses Four Radiances which buffs all his stats and hastes him (as well as doing a bunch of damage)

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Yeah that never happened in either run.

Cheers, I'll look out for it

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

If he hit you with light of the four(and he did) it happened, you just didn't notice.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

drat I am jealous all the people with insane orb stashes, there are so many cool 5* skills (and 4* summons :argh:) I want to try out but can't afford to craft / hone yet. Hasn't been a problem with bosses yet or anything, but variety is always nice.

On the other hand it's weird being at the point now where I have so many 5* and above relics that I'm having to stash stuff that isn't even generic or combined. My armor pool still isn't amazing, but I somehow have 16 BSBs, which going by this thread is considerably more than some people who have been playing way longer than me. I think my first event was right after that FFX one that gave away Rikku's scarf? No idea how long ago that was.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Pulled on phase 5, pulled a unique for gabranth :doh:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Seemed like a lot of us got that Gabranth armor. It's not really that bad statwise but does pale in comparison to the other stuff on this banner. Would be a good item to have on a dark-based team, I suppose.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

It just feels wrong to be running the dailies again

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CaptainPsyko posted:

Similar to Pencil but single target; the commands are generally not worth using in favor of Saint's Cross.

This isn't actually true.

The first command does up to five hits depending on how high his defense is. And getting up to the 5 hit threshold is really easy, Wall, Protect, and one use of the second Command and you're there with a mere 275 base DEF. With a full five hits it's better then Saint's Cross.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Technically with 5 hits WoL's command 1 is 240 total potency vs Saint Cross's 320. Saint Cross is gonna cap, though, while command 1 basically never will.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Dr Pepper posted:

This isn't actually true.

The first command does up to five hits depending on how high his defense is. And getting up to the 5 hit threshold is really easy, Wall, Protect, and one use of the second Command and you're there with a mere 275 base DEF. With a full five hits it's better then Saint's Cross.

Let's! Be! Pedantic!

"Better" is subjective, in this case specifically subjective on the basis of how much Defense the enemy has. Saint Cross is two 170 potency hits for a total of 340 potency and WoL's attack command is up to five 54 potency hits for a total of 240 total potency. You can break 20K damage, which Saint Cross cannot, with the ATK command provided the enemy's DEF allows for it, otherwise Saint Cross would do more damage. That said, I've gotten competitive, useable damage from Cecil's lovely 2x79 DEF command on Paladin Force enough times that I reckon using WoL's attack command is good enough that you can let someone else bring the Saint Cross if someone else could.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 4, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

on the 5k def bosses we're seeing now i wouldn't be so quick to say that SC is gonna cap

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Any people have Keeper's Tome up as their RW? I've been thinking about dropping Shellga/Protectga from my characters to free them up for other abilities (Holy/Diaga on Y'shtola and whatever else on Tyro). Using something like Tyro's BSB would mean having those still get covered since I've never seen a fight come close to needing a 3rd cast of shell/protect and most end with only a single cast being necessary. The Exdeath/Sheidl Dragon fight barely lasted long enough to need a reapply of Wall/Shout.

Having Diaga/Holy (or whatever) on Y'shtola would also give her something useful to do on the numerous rounds where she doesn't actually need to heal anyone too.

UrielX posted:

So just found this thread. Kind of a newer player here and could use some advice on team setup/direction.

Any tips/advice is much appreciated!

As others have said, you want Vanille because that relic of hers makes her top notch and you can drop Aerith for her at that point. Since you have Kain's BSB he's going to be putting out most of your damage and letting you force your way through boss fights you might not clear otherwise. Yda's alright and having her relic makes her pretty useful. You could consider doing another 11 pull on the FFXIV banner if you get 50 mythril too since it includes a bunch of powerful relics, both magic and melee.

If you can get the memory crystals for characters in this current event that's good. Otherwise spend your MC/MC2 lodes as you get Kain/Vanille/Yda to level 50, and then again when they're reaching 65.

the Orb of Zot posted:

I got 0 5*s, proving that guaranteed 5* is complete bollocks and lies, and instead got my first OSB weapon with no idea what to use it for. Whoops.

Getting a 6* falls under the "guaranteed at least a 5* relic" because the change only meant that you couldn't do a pull and end up with only 3-4 star trash. :eng101:

CaptainPsyko posted:

Also, you can get Yda's Memory Crystals from the current Lady of the Vortex event. With the right roaming warrior and a bit of luck you can probably even get her level 65 MC2.

You mean their MC1 right? A brand new player isn't going to be able to clear the D99 boss rush even with powerful RWs because they'll get one-shot by the bosses while not being able to one shot the bosses in return.

You blew it preemptively when you honed that to r3, let alone r4. :psyduck:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think R3 is a reasonable investment for longer bosses. I like swapping between FB and a breakdown on Ramza, so ensuring nearly 100% uptime on FB is a good thing in my book.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Seriously, I don't think I've had a single fight where I've actually needed more than 4 charges

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i've hardly even had fights where i wanted more than 4 charges

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

U-DO Burger posted:

Seriously, I don't think I've had a single fight where I've actually needed more than 4 charges

Eh. Sometimes I have to sacrifice DPS for mitigation on the harder-hitting bosses, which means a longer fight. Since FB is harder to stretch than DPS (no BSB commands that refresh it), 6 charges means no downtime.

8 is just stupid. 6 is a luxury when you want to keep FB up all the time, I do not know what boss you intend to fight more than 16 turns.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pander posted:

Since FB is harder to stretch than DPS (no BSB commands that refresh it)

i've got two BSB openers that will apply it. either will give 100% uptime, or close enough.

i mean, i still just use ramza instead, but you can totally keep FB up with bursts.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Prav posted:

i've got two BSB openers that will apply it. either will give 100% uptime, or close enough.

i mean, i still just use ramza instead, but you can totally keep FB up with breaks.

You nailed it in the second half: a lot of people use Ramza as their FB-application method. Or OK maybe. Either way 6 charges just removes any doubt that you can keep it going.

It's a defensible luxury. R4 isn't.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I like R3 Full Break because sometimes I stop paying attention to the Full Break, Breakdown, Breakdown, Full Break cycle and just start alternating the Breakdown and Full Break.

U-DO Burger posted:

It just feels wrong to be running the dailies again
:yeah:
I am running Alphinaud through dailies to try to get his RM to drop at least

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Second pull on XIV, go.

Minfilia's SSB looks like it'd only be situationally useful since I assume it doesn't play nice with Shout, although Last Stand is kinda nice. Thyrus is kind of the booby prize for me since I have SG and I don't have Y'shtola's BSB, so she still doesn't have a full party medica, meaning she's not coming in my party anytime soon. She does have Aetherial Pulse so I guess I could do some weird thing like bring her with Curaja/Wrath and kit out Selphie for black magic and use her for Dreamstage...but that would be pretty suboptimal so I won't do that. Still didn't get the grand prize though I guess Alphinaud's SSB is fine.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I kinda want to pull on this last OS banner for another shot at the Onion Gauntlets, but is there enough other good stuff to get excited about or would that just be a chase pull?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Minfilia's SSB looks like it'd only be situationally useful since I assume it doesn't play nice with Shout, although Last Stand is kinda nice.

well yeah, but the situation is "you have haste from any source" so it's not very picky and you can just do a straight swap between her and ramza since both get Sup 5

• Locked thread