Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I got the dual piston version of one of those compressors for $80 shipped on ebay and it's done pretty good so far. Also that latter airbrush with the multiple needles from Amazon. Not quite as nice as my Badger, but it doesn't feel hyper cheap either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Here you go: Get this (basic) or this (more options).

Same compressor, and you get a decent basecoat airbrush with it. I have that compressor, and it works fine - it's pretty quiet as well (compared to my old compressor, anyway.)

Get a set of fittings and you'll be able to use any brush with your compressor (I believe the Master hose does not connect to Badger brushes without the fitting.)

And when you have some extra money lying around, get a spray booth. It does a good job of keeping overspray to a minimum.

That's a good deal, thanks for that information. What's the benefit of the Badger 105 over that airbrush?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Shadin posted:

That's a good deal, thanks for that information. What's the benefit of the Badger 105 over that airbrush?

It's better in every way from how easy it is to use to how easy it is to clean, which are the 2 things you'll be doing with it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, Master brushes tend to be design knockoffs of Badger and Iwata brushes so you'll always get better quality out of those. The advantage of the Masters us mainly that the quality increase in namebrand airbrushes doesn't always justify the price increase.

It's definitely not a crapbrush (it's actually really impressive considering it's basically 10-20 bux in those compressor bundles), and it will do a fine job for basecoats, priming, and basic color separation.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Where's this cute little fella from?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Shadin posted:

The Masters has a hellaciously tiny needle seat that takes a wrench to change and the bottom of the paint cup is milled as a flat bottomed oval which tends to collect paint in the corners. Both factors can be a PITA when it comes to detail cleaning. Also I found the air control a bit touchier, but still was able to get down to some pretty fine lines with the 0.3mm needle setup that came preinstalled. The .22mm needle option might be a little too fiddly to get much use out with paint.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Is purchasing a Badger compressor similarly better than the master model, or is the price difference too much to justify?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Where's this cute little fella from?

It's a Blitz Auto Tank from Relic Knights by Soda Pop / Ninja Division.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone know of a good miniature line for a Tabaxi (fantasy cat person)? I have a friend looking for one and its not as easy as I would have suspected. Especially since she wants a fluffy cat person. I am thinking of maybe just getting one of the smooth, Cheetah cat people like those from the Alkemy line but would like to skip having to sculpt fluffy fur myself if possible.

Dark Sword Miniatures has several cat people minis, all reasonably fluffy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JackMann posted:

"Cheesecake Pug Princess"

Everyone needs this mini IMO

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

"Cheesecake Pug Princess"

Everyone needs this mini IMO

Is she a princess because her harness exposes at least 2/3rds of her nipples?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DiHK posted:

Is she a princess because her harness exposes at least 2/3rds of her nipples?

Its so she can distract male foes in battle

You can tell shes a princess because shes of the royal line that doesnt lose an eyeball at puberty

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Finished up another model (just decals to go), I love this sculpt.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That whole thing is gorgeous, you'll have people going to pick it up overestimating the weight because they'll think it's solid metal, so watch out for it getting unintentionally flung across the room.

How did you do that stringy blood?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ijyt posted:

This is fuckin sick, the weathering's great and the goo on the hand is awesome.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

SRM posted:

This is fuckin sick, the weathering's great and the goo on the hand is loving grody.

FTFY

Neurolimal posted:

You can tell shes a princess because shes of the royal line that doesnt lose an eyeball at puberty

I dunno man, her nose is kinda flat, methinks her lord might have been cucked.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 5, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thank you! The stringy blood I used two-part epoxy and played around with it as it dried, it kind of sucks for this though as it has a tendency to shrink back into globs. I've read that UHU works better.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Any suggestions for a matte varnish to run through an airbrush?

I've tried Vallejo and Liquitex and haven't been happy with the results. Vallejo seems to change the colors and Liquitex ends up with a sort of dusty coating.

I'd stick to using Dullcote, but it's expensive as hell and hard to get where I'm at (middle of nowhere, I have to order it online).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm not sure if can be put through an airbrush but Daler Rowney Soluble Matt Varnish is the best I've used. Needs a poo poo ton of stirring and mixing first though.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

ijyt posted:

Omg

I am erect

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

Is purchasing a Badger compressor similarly better than the master model, or is the price difference too much to justify?

Judging by reviews of Badger compressors, I'd say no. Also, Badger doesn't make their compressors, as far as I know, they just redistribute them, so you're paying a markup for that on top of the compressor price.

I think a compressor is one of those things that is either going to work right out of the box or isn't. All units will fail after extended use, but you're either going to get a working compressor, or you're going to get one that arrives broken or fails within the month.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So it's in the mid-20s fahrenheit around here all week. I have a garage that isn't heated. I don't know the temp in there but I could probably find out. Is it going to be too cold for spray primer? Should I spray and immediately bring the models inside?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

-6C is pretty chilly for spray primer, but if you spray near the entrance to the garage/house and bring them in straight away should be fine.

Alternatively, vallejo brush-on primer. :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

JackMann posted:

:neckbeard: Each one is better than the model before it. And while they anthropomorphic, they're not furry. I might need to buy one or more of these.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So it's in the mid-20s fahrenheit around here all week. I have a garage that isn't heated. I don't know the temp in there but I could probably find out. Is it going to be too cold for spray primer? Should I spray and immediately bring the models inside?

This is pretty risky business speaking from experience.

I don't think it's the drying that's an issue, it's how the cold affects the sprays aerating

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That's what I figured. How many coats of the brush on primer is ideal?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Just set everything up on a piece of cardboard, take it to the garage and spray, bring it back inside and put it in your bathroom with the fan on. You're done.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That's what I figured. How many coats of the brush on primer is ideal?

I think one coat is usually fine, but if it looks like it hasn't covered properly give it a good amount of time to dry before the second layer as the last thing you want is brush marks, and I've learned the hard way that it doesn't dry as quickly as it looks.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Just set everything up on a piece of cardboard, take it to the garage and spray, bring it back inside and put it in your bathroom with the fan on. You're done.

Yeah do this. I live in Michigan so if I want to be able to prime during 2/3 of the year, I have to deal with the cold. Do a quick, light coat and bring it right inside. Repeat if necessary once it dries. It'll be fine. I use white primer, which is generally more finicky, with no problems.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The toad people are fuckin awesome

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
My brushes are all beat up, my nicest one is a citadel brush with a bent point :<

What sizes should I grab to cover me for general purpose usage, I'm looking at the Winsor Newton 7 Series line
http://www.winsornewton.com/na/shop...0-brush-5012020

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Razzled posted:

My brushes are all beat up, my nicest one is a citadel brush with a bent point :<

What sizes should I grab to cover me for general purpose usage, I'm looking at the Winsor Newton 7 Series line

Lol your brushes actually still have points/aren't solid as bricks

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Razzled posted:

You want the Series 7 Pointed Round, not the Miniature Brushes. The Miniatures don't have a good, wide body, and your paint will dry on your brush too quickly.

I think a 0 and a 1 are pretty much what most people will use on a regular basis. I wouldn't waste the money on a 2 or above - those are for large, wide areas, and you can get away with a cheaper brush (unless you really want to.)

As for extreme detail, like eyes, I think a 0 is sufficient, but you might want to go down to a 2/0. Anything smaller and your paint tends to dry before you can get to the mini. This assumes you're a painter of average skill, and not someone who freehands scrollwork tattoos and such on their minis.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I have no idea how people manage to keep their brushes straight pointy. After 1-2 uses I'm in Sickle City (and I dont stand them on their bristles in the washing cup or anything.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Neurolimal posted:

I have no idea how people manage to keep their brushes straight pointy. After 1-2 uses I'm in Sickle City (and I dont stand them on their bristles in the washing cup or anything.

After I wash a brush at the end of each session, I'll sorta gently spin the brush on a towel (parallel to the towel) until it comes to a point, and then leave it like that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I need new brushes all mine are ruined

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The quality of the brush makes a huge difference. It's why people recommend Series 7s.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The quality of the brush makes a huge difference. It's why people recommend Series 7s.

And maintenance. Get some brush soap and occasionally clean your brushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I treat my 7's pretty badly and they've never lost a point

I really ought to start using brush cleaner, I've got a little tub of Masters but never actually got round to using it. The mrs has been using it for all her makeup brushes though