Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091067DO

Wont be useful for small models, but vehicles and mechs will handle these just fine. It's plastic covered tape with a weaker adhesive than painters tape, which means it wont pull up any/as much (especially if you varnished the area beforehand) and the backing wont allow paint to seep through. Just apply, temp seal, and its protected.

Kinda lousy for harsh bends and angles, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished Kingdom Death Messenger of Humanity and Lonely Woman.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Thicc

I like Guts lady

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Here's some things I painted recently:

TheFinalTuba posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

Pretty happy with he turned out overall. Though I need some help with skin technique on a guy like this. More on that in the Miniatures Painting thread.

Also, claiming Jurnal, as Krampus wishes you a Merry Christmas!

and:

Just looking for critiques overall. But especially relating to the following:
1) OSL on Reva. She's done, but for future dudes, how can I make my OSL look more realistic?
2) Reva's Robes. They're alright, but they were a nightmare to do. I pretty much did a dark blue wash, then tried to highlight up. But had a hard time making anything look natural. I think the answer is trying to blend more? But then I ran into trouble because after the wash, even the basecoat I used was too bright to be a next level up xD
3) Similarly, on the beastie's skin, I had it a dark desaturated purple, but highlighting it up was... a challenge. I tried a few things, but couldn't get anything to look subtle enough. I ended up just drybrushing some highlights which worked pretty well. But I don't want to rely on drybrushing for non-textured surfaces. I dunno.

Thanks for feedback!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think that OSL is fantastic, but it goes a bit far down the robes I think - stopping it near the horses thigh might be better.

What might help with the highlights is by painting on the highlight without trying to blend, then glazing over everything with the thinned down basecoat colour and re-layering the highlight colour. It does take a lot of passes but the results are good. Let me find an article on it.

e: just to be clear, the horse and robe looks great as they are, and are definitely far better than I could do painting natural surfaces - can't tell the horse has been drybrushed tbh.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 31, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TheFinalTuba posted:

But had a hard time making anything look natural. I think the answer is trying to blend more?
Add some glaze medium to the highlights. Not enough to make it a real glaze, but it will make them a bit smoother.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Someone posted this on my FB feed and all I could think when I saw it was "good paint schemes for minis"

Anyone have any resources like this cause I have a hell of a time making schemes of my own

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Someone posted this on my FB feed and all I could think when I saw it was "good paint schemes for minis"

Anyone have any resources like this cause I have a hell of a time making schemes of my own

Theres quite a few if you search for "color scheme" or "color palette". My fave is Color Pal for android; straightforward, no BS, easy to look at other peoples' for inspiration. Also displays each colors' hex and rgb values, so that they're easier to replicate.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Are you looking for something like this? http://paletton.com

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Dr. Phildo posted:

Also use a nice painters tape like 3m or scotch. If it's pulling up paint, try putting the tape on your jeans or whatevs so that it's not as tacky. If it's still pulling paint, I'd say the paint that the tape is being laid on is not completely dry.

I was using 3m. Wouldn't putting the tape on my jeans make it even less smooth thus creating more opportunity for paint to bleed? I ordered some 40mm Tamiya, I think that should be wide enough to cut diamonds out of. My plan is to paint, varnish, leave to dry for a day, apply tape, varnish, paint, leave to dry for a day, remove tape. I am going to clean my craft cutting mat before I put the tape on it. If this doesn't work I think I am going to abandon this method and figure something else out.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

Are you looking for something like this? http://paletton.com

Yes but with other people's schemes already set up. I'll try out this Color Pal thing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
:siren: UK Goons :siren:

Barwells Bodyworks are having a January sale. The Sotar 20/20 is down to £86 and they have the Badger primers on sale too.

http://www.barwellbodyworks-shop.com/airbrush-sets/882-sotar-airbrush-hose.html

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

signalnoise posted:

The sweetest chill indeed.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I was using 3m. Wouldn't putting the tape on my jeans make it even less smooth thus creating more opportunity for paint to bleed? I ordered some 40mm Tamiya, I think that should be wide enough to cut diamonds out of. My plan is to paint, varnish, leave to dry for a day, apply tape, varnish, paint, leave to dry for a day, remove tape. I am going to clean my craft cutting mat before I put the tape on it. If this doesn't work I think I am going to abandon this method and figure something else out.

It worked for me, it took some of the tack while still working nicely (but the bad thing about this hobby is that individual results can vary so much even when the same materials are being used). The tamiya tape is also nice. I use both 3m and tamiya and dig them both.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TTerrible posted:

:siren: UK Goons :siren:

Barwells Bodyworks are having a January sale. The Sotar 20/20 is down to £86 and they have the Badger primers on sale too.

http://www.barwellbodyworks-shop.com/airbrush-sets/882-sotar-airbrush-hose.html

I've been thinking about getting into airbrushing and this is a good price, with a spray booth from Amazon I could get all in for under £150.

Is this a decent starter airbrush?

E: also could you recommend a compressor to go with it?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sab669 posted:

Array of unrelated questions:

1) Anyone familiar with Scale75? How is the quality? I'm so not good at the prep phase of minis and have no patience for pieces that line up poorly, mold lines etc... Trying to get better, but at $50+ for one model, I hope it's good.

I have a couple of their models, both the more realistic steampunk 75(?)mm ones in metal and the chibi ones in resin. Plus I did their kickstarter for the game (which produced some amazing paint friendly models).

I haven't had any major problems with anything. Basic cleanup needed, but no major slippages or need for greenstuff to get things to fit.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

El_Pato posted:

Well, found just that! Looks like an older model though? Box shape all around instead of the tapered top like the new ones. Anything to be concerned about or should I just pull the trigger?

Edit: Did it. Hope this is an awesome deal as it sounds. Trusting you goons! Very excited to start spraying all the things though

Hey did your compressor ever arrive?

El_Pato
Dec 27, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Hey did your compressor ever arrive?

Yeah! I finally got a chance to work on it the last couple days. Thanks for asking.

It was an oily mess as expected. I cleaned it up and drained as much as I could before filling it with synthetic oil. It runs great (and super quiet) from what I can tell so far. The only thing that concerns me a touch is a hiss coming from a hole in the front of the regulator that stops if I put my finger over it.

Doesn't seem to be affecting the performance at all but I'm guessing I'll have to replace the regulator eventually (?) Seems easy enough.

The brush that came with it wound up being an Iwata HP-B. It was pretty gunked and had a bent tip. I think I've successfully rehabbed it and learned a lot in the process. Either way I wound up picking up a 105 new too so the iwata is just a backup.

Hose for the badger is coming today so I'll be getting down to work soon! Very excited, thanks again for the help goons

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

El_Pato posted:

Yeah! I finally got a chance to work on it the last couple days. Thanks for asking.

It was an oily mess as expected. I cleaned it up and drained as much as I could before filling it with synthetic oil. It runs great (and super quiet) from what I can tell so far. The only thing that concerns me a touch is a hiss coming from a hole in the front of the regulator that stops if I put my finger over it.

Doesn't seem to be affecting the performance at all but I'm guessing I'll have to replace the regulator eventually (?) Seems easy enough.

The brush that came with it wound up being an Iwata HP-B. It was pretty gunked and had a bent tip. I think I've successfully rehabbed it and learned a lot in the process. Either way I wound up picking up a 105 new too so the iwata is just a backup.

Hose for the badger is coming today so I'll be getting down to work soon! Very excited, thanks again for the help goons

That's probably the OPRV on the regulator. It's bleeding off excess pressurized air.

El_Pato
Dec 27, 2007
I figured it might be that. It seems like it might be doing it more than it should though? The motor will kick in to fool the tank even when I'm not using it.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

signalnoise posted:

Yes but with other people's schemes already set up. I'll try out this Color Pal thing.

kuler.adobe.com is the one I've been using forever, easy to use, plenty of decent user generated ones and easy to integrate with Photoshop/etc.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Had a crazy busy month at work so I've been deliberately avoiding this thread as zero paint time

All of these are rad

Got 2 weeks off now :hellyeah:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Haha holy poo poo missed that gobbo, that trenchcoat made me think of Deckard from Blade Runner.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Haha holy poo poo missed that gobbo, that trenchcoat made me think of Deckard from Blade Runner.

"You see squiq in dirt, lying on back, legs flailing. You no laugh."

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
My friend painted me this kickass mini to use for our next scifi game, Commander Shep Predator.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there any goon recommended commission painters? Say for larger projects?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

GreenMarine posted:

Like, I'd like to recommend actual Goons, but if you want high quality painted minis at not an insane price you need to start thinking about sending your minis to Poland. If cost isn't an issue than there's several goons that do commissions but I don't know if any do full army. I'd also tell you to look into r/brushforhire as well.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My tiny sons showed up from Khurasan today!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

GreenMarine posted:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Like, I'd like to recommend actual Goons, but if you want high quality painted minis at not an insane price you need to start thinking about sending your minis to Poland. If cost isn't an issue than there's several goons that do commissions but I don't know if any do full army. I'd also tell you to look into r/brushforhire as well.

It also depends on what 'larger project' means. Is it one really big model? Some terrain? A whole army? A whole game board? What one person considers large is another person's weekly project.

While I'm a commission goon, and I have a good turn-around rate (just ask Red Shoe), I'm personally a bit wary about doing whole armies on the scale of 2k+pts of 40k dudes. It takes a long time and can be a bit of a slog if it's really large or a horde-y army (looking at YOU, orks and tyranids).

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Slimnoid posted:

While I'm a commission goon, and I have a good turn-around rate (just ask Red Shoe), I'm personally a bit wary about doing whole armies on the scale of 2k+pts of 40k dudes. It takes a long time and can be a bit of a slog if it's really large or a horde-y army (looking at YOU, orks and tyranids).

It's a larger chunk of work. Tau, maybe 110 models. Quite a bit and quite possibly a slog. That's why I want to turn money into someone else's time. :)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GreenMarine posted:

It's a larger chunk of work. Tau, maybe 110 models. Quite a bit and quite possibly a slog. That's why I want to turn money into someone else's time. :)

FWIW I can vouch for this dude to any would be commission painters. A++ would warham again.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone know of a good miniature line for a Tabaxi (fantasy cat person)? I have a friend looking for one and its not as easy as I would have suspected. Especially since she wants a fluffy cat person. I am thinking of maybe just getting one of the smooth, Cheetah cat people like those from the Alkemy line but would like to skip having to sculpt fluffy fur myself if possible.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone know of a good miniature line for a Tabaxi (fantasy cat person)? I have a friend looking for one and its not as easy as I would have suspected. Especially since she wants a fluffy cat person. I am thinking of maybe just getting one of the smooth, Cheetah cat people like those from the Alkemy line but would like to skip having to sculpt fluffy fur myself if possible.

A little bit of mod work on a red panda for pointy ears, and the right paintjob, and I think you would be able to get a workable fluffy kitty.

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/olivia-red-panda.html

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
I've only been at this a few months and only have a handful of completed models under my belt, but I'm already considering an airbrush for priming/basecoating since I have Betrayal at Calth and Burning of Prospero box sets I received as gifts. Living in Minnesota is making this even more appealing.

I've pretty much decided on a Badger 105, but wondering about the compressor. I noticed the TC-20T compressor that has a tank and a two year warranty, found here: http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-TC-20T.html

Anyone have any experience with that one? I know the OP mentions iwata and Sparmax but at double the price that's a tough pill to swallow out of the gate.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Man, I've really been enjoying painting weird Inquisition dudes lately.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
SRM your mans are fantastic. I love the detail on the one dude's book, gonna need to take notes for when I do my St Celestine with all those scrolls.

Cross posting this guy:

Ultramarines 4th Company Land Raider Excelsior 'Gladius'

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
drat thats a rad Spice Moorine tank.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

SRM posted:

Man, I've really been enjoying painting weird Inquisition dudes lately.

Well poo poo, I'm gonna have to build that little guy in the front for myself

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Me in shock looking at both posts full of dope mans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shadin posted:

I've only been at this a few months and only have a handful of completed models under my belt, but I'm already considering an airbrush for priming/basecoating since I have Betrayal at Calth and Burning of Prospero box sets I received as gifts. Living in Minnesota is making this even more appealing.

I've pretty much decided on a Badger 105, but wondering about the compressor. I noticed the TC-20T compressor that has a tank and a two year warranty, found here: http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-TC-20T.html

Anyone have any experience with that one? I know the OP mentions iwata and Sparmax but at double the price that's a tough pill to swallow out of the gate.

Here you go: Get this (basic) or this (more options).

Same compressor, and you get a decent basecoat airbrush with it. I have that compressor, and it works fine - it's pretty quiet as well (compared to my old compressor, anyway.)

Get a set of fittings and you'll be able to use any brush with your compressor (I believe the Master hose does not connect to Badger brushes without the fitting.)

And when you have some extra money lying around, get a spray booth. It does a good job of keeping overspray to a minimum.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 4, 2017