Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's pretty obvious, but Edmund was talking about working directly with their team to port it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Somehow I feel like out-of-context discord messages might not be wholly representative of any sort of truth or official statement, especially when Edmund had specifically reached out to that team to make sure they could make antibirth end up being implemented into ab+

I imagine the issue is that they can't just do a straight-up port of Antibirth to AB+, as it doesn't even support regular afterbirth as far as I'm aware.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Connoisseur posted:

Here's some images in my browser history I got from links posted in an Afterbirth+ stream. Dunno where they're from or their context.

On the one hand, I too feel lots of disappointment in this very long-hyped-up expansion. On the other hand, I think it's a bit much to be literally crying because you are so let down

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I think people are getting way too worked up over the expansion.

Just like AB, it needs some fixing/tweaking and then everyone will go back to praising it like before.

I don't think AB+ is perfect, but I think it breathes new life into the game much like AntiBirth does.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I don't mind them trash talking it, why should they walk on eggshells around a poorly done DLC? It makes treasure rooms have a chance for no items and just petty petty poo poo like forced half soul hearts because you want to reset to have a chance to have fun, among other bizarre and outright lame ideas. Yeah sure the dev team can walk it back but I'm done buying Isaac anything or Edmund games until I see him get his head out of his rear end over making his games more and more frustrating for no clear reason.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The half soul hearts thing is a very common fallacy just like the sticky nickels. Like the sticky nickels replace normal cents and not normal nickels (so you get the chance for +4 cents for a bomb), the half soul hearts don't eat into your chance to find full soul hearts. Just like normal soul hearts "replace" some spawns for normal red hearts, half soul hearts replace some half red heart spawns.

IMO, give me half a soul heart over half a red heart any loving day of the week

People just want to rant and shout the loudest for that sweet echo chamber affirmation, it'll die down in a couple days

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

One more time: the Mr Resetter achievement does not get rid of full soul hearts. It makes half soul hearts available as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Every time someone says "it's not that bad the bad stuff will get fixed" I'm going to quote that picture of the treasure room with no item in it

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kuros posted:

I think people are getting way too worked up over the expansion.

Just like AB, it needs some fixing/tweaking and then everyone will go back to praising it like before.

I don't think AB+ is perfect, but I think it breathes new life into the game much like AntiBirth does.

AB had some good content and suffered from a lack of polish at launch.

Everything in AB+ is uninspired at best and infuriating at worst. A polished AB+ is a polished turd.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

HenryEx posted:

People just want to rant and shout the loudest for that sweet echo chamber affirmation, it'll die down in a couple days

why do we need half soul hearts

what does this add to the gameplay

what does no items in the room really REALLY do for any of the increasingly tedious gameplay

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Black August posted:

why do we need half soul hearts

what does this add to the gameplay

what does no items in the room really REALLY do for any of the increasingly tedious gameplay

That's idiotic. Why do we need half red hearts, again?

Like, this is really the hill you want to die on, huh

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I'm enjoying the expansion. I think Apollyon is my favorite character. I was really not expecting to like the new character more than Isaac, but there's just so much potential and flexibility with Void. It's extremely fun.

On my first Megasatan kill, I had Void + Forget Me Now, which does exactly what you'd think it does. I got the key pieces easily, and an extremely overpowered run by the time I got bored and left Caves 1. It's like the BASE MENT seed, with the option to actually finish the game when you want to.

For another run, I had Void + Diplopia + D6. So when I encountered an item I didn't want, I'd mulch it and get the bonus, and it would create a brand new item that I could take or mulch. That was fun.

Void + Mega is also hilarious.

One warning though: If you quit the game and reload your save, Void will forget any abilities it's absorbed. This could be disastrous, or it could potentially be useful in some circumstances. So just keep this in mind when you're using Void.

Jibo posted:

If you have Leo or a similar effect you can now mow down red poop without taking damage.
It's been that way for a long time, since before Afterbirth, IIRC.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

HenryEx posted:

No, this is me saying "I think these are some bad/boring gameplay additions we didn't need and they're burning up a lot of goodwill when we know they're capable of better" and your reply is "Hill to die on."

Don't snap at me with your hyperbole.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HenryEx posted:

They are stupid, a direct nerf to dark bum and the method of unlocking is an obvious jab at people that reset, its right up there with the useless dataminer spacebar thing, just petty nonsense from a butthurt dev who's still pissy that people datamined The Lost.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
What's wrong with half soul hearts replacing regular half hearts? The chance for that to happen would be a buff.

Alteisen posted:

They are stupid, a direct nerf to dark bum and the method of unlocking is an obvious jab at people that reset, its right up there with the useless dataminer spacebar thing, just petty nonsense from a butthurt dev who's still pissy that people datamined The Lost.

But Dark Bum gives out soul hearts at a 1.5 to 1 ratio, and sometimes spits out a spider instead. Half soul hearts are better.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The design process is increasingly "we have an X version of Y, how about an X version of Z?", and in fact in AB+ that describes virtually every item

Like instead of being an active item, this item that does the exact same thing activates when you get hit instead! Oh poo poo! How about an enemy, but it's a familiar version of that enemy, or a key version of something for bombs, or a devil thing but it's an angel thing instead? etc etc

It's boring

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 4, 2017

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Turns out that by barely playing Isaac since about a month after Afterbirth launched, I got way worse. I was never 100 wins in a row good, but I'd win 2/3 or 3/4 of my games and fairly regularly get streaks of 8ish. My first run last night was pretty crazy and I beat the chest handily, but since then I've not even reliable making it through the Caves. Like, it's not even really the new Antibirth stuff that's causing me problems. I got hit 3 times on freaking Little Horn last run.

Ok, the Antibirth stuff did get me a little when my first room I got a health down pill and then my second room was an empty item room.

I think I'll just switch back to normal for a while and maybe even restart until I get an above average first item until I'm comfortable with the basic mechanics again.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Me: Okay game, you kinda disappointed me last night. But I know Ed's working on you...so I'll give you another chance to impress me.

Game: How about a Forget Me Now on the first floor when you have Appolyon.

Me: :stare: I was aiming for a Hush go but I'll take infinitely abuse-able Forget Me Now.

I'm on my fourth loop of Basement one, taking my time and picking which item I want to keep and which I want to eat. I'm not sure if the seed will work guaranteed (I'm not 1001%) but here it is if you want to try:
481R
WXXD

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alteisen posted:

How are half soul hearts a nerf to dark bum?

And you don't have to take the unlock method so personally... there's an item that unlocks for dying 100 times.

While I believe Ed was butthurt over the Lost thing for a time, I don't think that's what's going on with AB+

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

CJacobs posted:

Every time someone says "it's not that bad the bad stuff will get fixed" I'm going to quote that picture of the treasure room with no item in it

edmond did some twitter thing months ago where people could vote and he asked if people would take two item rooms if there was an equal chance of zero item rooms. So both are in the game now (some rooms give two items, not just the "pick one" rooms). It's dumb but that is the reason for zero item rooms: twitter.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I finally beat Ultra Hard. All it took was a floor one Tech-X followed by a blind pickup of Abaddon on The Womb, and I still almost died to Mega Satan. gently caress that challenge. The worst part of it is rooms filled with champion charging silkworm guys on the second chapter. Second worst part of it is having Curse of the Maze and Curse of the Lost combined on XL floors.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

So on my run just now I found out that analog stick doesn't just let you fire diagonally, if you're actually playing with a gamepad and use the right analog stick to fire it lets you fire basically anywhere. Like not just 8 directions but a reasonably fine-tunable amount of diagonal if that makes sense. It's incredibly handy, especially with piercing/spectral tears.

e: Oh and about the Void/Delirium. My first entrance to void showed up after killing It Lives. It was a portal like the ones that spawn enemies, right next to my entrance to the Cathedral which I actually wanted to get into. Turns out I entered at a weird angle (I guess?) and ended up in the void. Thankfully I munched down a Pandora's Box with the Void earlier in that run which is just insanity. I was super overpowered and still only made it out with two hearts at the end of the Delirium fight. Top design there.

abraxas fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 5, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
delirium is a really lazy extra final boss, even taking into account that some of its animations are bugged

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

IronicDongz posted:

delirium is a really lazy extra final boss, even taking into account that some of its animations are bugged

The whole game feels like it is was made as a showcase to the mod tools, like virtually everything added has a feeling of "no programming needed!" where almost everything is just pre-existing attributes snapped together.

Which falls apart because look at what they made in antibirth with no mod tools at all.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

abraxas posted:

So on my run just now I found out that analog stick doesn't just let you fire diagonally, if you're actually playing with a gamepad and use the right analog stick to fire it lets you fire basically anywhere. Like not just 8 directions but a reasonably fine-tunable amount of diagonal if that makes sense. It's incredibly handy, especially with piercing/spectral tears.

My friend got it earlier today and he said it also works with the mouse. So you can basically point your cursor at enemies and concentrate on dodging. Sounds pretty sweet.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
Welp, had a piss easy ping pong run, brimstone would have been a bad pickup, but for the maggie's head I also grabbed. Run in, activate, room cleared.

Delerium really does just kind of feel kind of eh, there's just nothing interesting about it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Portals seem to have 10HP so I'm not sure I get the complaints about them being "bullet sponges".

Alteisen posted:

It's a reference to Animal Crossing, not a "jab" at anyone. The dataminer thing is a reference but I don't think it's mean-spirited either.

Tetracube posted:

The design process is increasingly "we have an X version of Y, how about an X version of Z?", and in fact in AB+ that describes virtually every item

Like instead of being an active item, this item that does the exact same thing activates when you get hit instead! Oh poo poo! How about an enemy, but it's a familiar version of that enemy, or a key version of something for bombs, or a devil thing but it's an angel thing instead? etc etc

It's boring
Most of these look pretty cool actually. There also seems to be a higher rate of DPS upgrades than there have been in previous expansions which is nice.

The issue I've been having is more that I haven't been seeing that many new items, probably because the existing item pool was so large.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 5, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the new chapter really after Hush? gently caress that.

EDIT: Wow that new ending is very explicit. And very final.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 5, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Alteisen posted:

lol how can you be so bad at this game yet have such a loud opinion

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh how do I buy this separately? I have the main game+Afterbirth but the only option is a bundle with all 3.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HenryEx posted:

1. you don't unlock half red hearts
2. half red hearts are not as much of a big deal as half soul hearts. you can't compare armor to health like that, because health is more common than armor, with your containers being a limit for how much health you can have at once. the limit for armor is the amount of heart containers you don't have, and becomes much more important to characters such as Judas or Eve. Getting a half soul heart is a punishment, not a reward. i'm hearing that half soul hearts have a chance of replacing a half red heart, but i would like confirmation on that.
3. now, if half soul hearts do not have a chance of replacing half red hearts, then they were added just to screw with people who reset a lot.

do we always have to say "This is really the hill you want to die on" in response to someone who has an issue with something? it's pointless to say that unless you like looking like an rear end in a top hat.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

spit on my clit posted:

1. you don't unlock half red hearts
2. half red hearts are not as much of a big deal as half soul hearts. you can't compare armor to health like that, because health is more common than armor, with your containers being a limit for how much health you can have at once. the limit for armor is the amount of heart containers you don't have, and becomes much more important to characters such as Judas or Eve. Getting a half soul heart is a punishment, not a reward. i'm hearing that half soul hearts have a chance of replacing a half red heart, but i would like confirmation on that.
3. now, if half soul hearts do not have a chance of replacing half red hearts, then they were added just to screw with people who reset a lot.

do we always have to say "This is really the hill you want to die on" in response to someone who has an issue with something? it's pointless to say that unless you like looking like an rear end in a top hat.

you're melting down over something that's not even confirmed bro, think about it

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

IronicDongz posted:

Nice interaction with lead pencil on him
https://clips.twitch.tv/larsfest/DullChinchillaStoneLightning

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
I for one do not think about Edmund's personal characteristics while I play, and I can't really see why some people seems to be so invested in his motives and character. Whether an item is good or bad depends on the item, not whether or not Edmund was cackling fiendishly when he designed it. Anyway so far for me game is cool and when I died from that Blastocyst room it was hilarious, not a sign that the game is ruined forever.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Does afterbirth's mod support allow people to do random quality of life things like buff the Keeper in something fun, lower the hp pool of Rag man, buff angel rooms, make the ??? fight more interesting/better, make the dark room path have gold chests or some other reason to go there instead of the chest etc.

Or will it only be adding in enemies and items?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

spit on my clit posted:

do we always have to say "This is really the hill you want to die on" in response to someone who has an issue with something?

An fyad poster said it once in an own on Ralp like two years ago, so it's only just starting to filter down to the dregs

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Afterbirth+ isn't terrible but it does make the game worse than Afterbirth and adds only one wrinkle (which is Apollyon's item -- Apollyon himself is just two heart Isaac).

Hopefully it's just bad enough to force NL to get a real job.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How does half a soul heart = direct nerf to dark bum

Holy poo poo some of you guys

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
People freaked out about sticky nickels too because they're too dumb to understand what they're replacing in the drop table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zo posted:

you're melting down over something that's not even confirmed bro, think about it

yeah, much dumber poo poo happened when the first Afterbirth was released, sorry