Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Felix_Cat posted:

I for one do not think about Edmund's personal characteristics while I play, and I can't really see why some people seems to be so invested in his motives and character. Whether an item is good or bad depends on the item, not whether or not Edmund was cackling fiendishly when he designed it. Anyway so far for me game is cool and when I died from that Blastocyst room it was hilarious, not a sign that the game is ruined forever.

I would argue that some of his interactions with the community over stuff like unlocking The Lost have brought his personal game design philosophy into a more important light than some other devs and their games. He's put stuff in the game specifically to mess with people he doesn't think are playing the game right, so imo it's fair to consider that he might do it again.

edit: And if you don't want to let that hamper your enjoyment then more power to you, but personally I don't blame people for not wanting to play a game where the developer flip flops between being encouraging and weirdly hostile to his fans.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

So It Goes posted:

Does afterbirth's mod support allow people to do random quality of life things like buff the Keeper in something fun, lower the hp pool of Rag man, buff angel rooms, make the ??? fight more interesting/better, make the dark room path have gold chests or some other reason to go there instead of the chest etc.
You can do all those things with Afterbirth+ mods.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

Afterbirth+ isn't terrible but it does make the game worse than Afterbirth and adds only one wrinkle (which is Apollyon's item -- Apollyon himself is just two heart Isaac).

That's like saying Lilith is just Lazarus with two Sin Hearts. The Void defines Apollyon.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Felix_Cat posted:

I for one do not think about Edmund's personal characteristics while I play, and I can't really see why some people seems to be so invested in his motives and character. Whether an item is good or bad depends on the item, not whether or not Edmund was cackling fiendishly when he designed it. Anyway so far for me game is cool and when I died from that Blastocyst room it was hilarious, not a sign that the game is ruined forever.

If you like the blastocyst room so much wouldn't you care to know why it was put in so you'll know if it's more likely to get patched out and make you think the game is less hilarious or if it's likely more stuff like that will go in and make it more hilarious to you?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Void is very interesting - it gives you D6-like reroll decisions that you often have to weigh against using your active abilities more often, as well as a lot of potential for game-breaking combos. The fact that it's a single item doesn't make Apollyon a bad character, it just means you might get to have fun with it on other runs. He might replace Isaac (also defined by a single item) as my go-to character.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Alright AB+, after that run I think I will forgive you. SOME. Yes I couldn't unlock the new end thingy, but something silly about doing a run where you suck Forget Me Now into Void on the first floor is hilariously fun. I repeated the first floor 7-8 times, chosing the item I wanted to take and the other I wanted to suck into the void for stats, then a couple more times on floor two before I went ahead. Eventually replaced the Void with the Nail since I couldn't use it without resetting the floor. Finally ran into the Vis Sisters (twice if you include a dark room spawn) but was so beefy I vaporized them almost instantly. Yeah that fight would be such bullshit if i hadn't reached utter BS mode myself, holy poo poo do they bounce around the room at mach speed. By the end I had so much damage that Mega Satan never had a chance to even do an attack between phases.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zo posted:

lol how can you be so bad at this game yet have such a loud opinion

Oh gently caress off back to the D3 thread and keep bragging about your stupid bots you like you used to, at least that was funny.

I'm saying a great number of the changes are stupid and yes having the bum drop half a hearts is a nerf to him on top of ally or enemy spiders.

I wouldn't bring the guy up if he wasn't such a cock most of the time, I don't complain about antibirth cause its free but this isn't though I'm sure someone will reply with "hurr its 6 bucks" or "mods will fix it" but that should never be the case, what is with primarily PC players who will happily lap up poo poo purely because someone else will inevitably take the time to fix it.

quote:

It's a reference to Animal Crossing, not a "jab" at anyone.

Yea sure is, and shoop da woop is secretly an allegory on the plight of BLM.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can the Dark Bum actually drop half soul hearts? That isn't how generated items work usually.

The reset achievement is clearly just a nod to Resetti. I could see it as being mean-spirited if it punished the player in some way but it doesn't.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
99.9% of my deaths since this update have been to the god drat Vis Sisters. So dang tired of running into them.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

:psyduck:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Half soul hearts sound really handy and when I heard you can unlock them super easily I did that immediately, what's the issue?

quote:

This is a bad look for you.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Okay so... Delirium doesn't seem to have that much HP or the bullshit armor Ultra Greed and Hush have. Motherfucker just doesn't sit still. At this point, I think the hardest part of beating Delirium with The Lost or The Keeper is surviving Hush. (Or getting to and beating Mega Satan? I only know the Hush route for sure so I guess I'm doing hard mode Delirium since I don't have Chest/Dark Room item boosts?)

I had a golden run with Isaac. Monstro's Lung, Sacred Heart, Death Scythe, and Proptosis. My shots were bigger than the screen. I was blindfiring at Delirium and hitting. And because I had freezing tears, it made him stop loving teleporting as much. I also had an Algiz Rune, which I popped just before he hit 50% so his warp spam and trying to sit on your head constantly did nothing. If you had the ability to hold two Runes and managed to score the Rune Bag or just get two Algiz Runes naturally, I think it would let Lost/Keeper survive the whole fight, assuming you took your damage multiplier to the gym beforehand. Maybe it'll get nerfed to be easier. Hush isn't fun but you can get through it okay because you can see everything coming. You might not be able to dodge it, but at least it isn't warping in directly on top of you.

At this point I think the Vis Sisters have killed me more than the final boss has, which feels super weird. Just... fuckin' give them some tells for the Mega Blast or something. Make them charge it up for two seconds or something. Maybe literally slow their rolls or tether them together so they're rolling near each other? I dunno how to make that boss fair. An HP decrease is definitely needed, just not sure what to do about their other attacks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ChibiSoma posted:

At this point I think the Vis Sisters have killed me more than the final boss has, which feels super weird. Just... fuckin' give them some tells for the Mega Blast or something. Make them charge it up for two seconds or something. Maybe literally slow their rolls or tether them together so they're rolling near each other? I dunno how to make that boss fair. An HP decrease is definitely needed, just not sure what to do about their other attacks.

Remove the waggle, reduce the roll speed and obviously reduce HP (Edmund and his "Bags of HP are harder and therefore more fun, rite?" game design). The horizontal blast is pretty tough, but it would be fair if it didn't loving waggle up and down and had a bit of a windup/tell. Right now you get hardly any windup, and if you do manage to get to a clear corner there's a good chance Vis #2 is bouncing around like a mach 3 spaz in that corner.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Can the Dark Bum actually drop half soul hearts? That isn't how generated items work usually.

The reset achievement is clearly just a nod to Resetti. I could see it as being mean-spirited if it punished the player in some way but it doesn't.

Dark Bum only drops full Soul Hearts, Black Hearts, and spiders (Both enemies and friendlies.)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ChibiSoma posted:

Okay so... Delirium doesn't seem to have that much HP or the bullshit armor Ultra Greed and Hush have. Motherfucker just doesn't sit still. At this point, I think the hardest part of beating Delirium with The Lost or The Keeper is surviving Hush. (Or getting to and beating Mega Satan? I only know the Hush route for sure so I guess I'm doing hard mode Delirium since I don't have Chest/Dark Room item boosts?)

I had a golden run with Isaac. Monstro's Lung, Sacred Heart, Death Scythe, and Proptosis. My shots were bigger than the screen. I was blindfiring at Delirium and hitting. And because I had freezing tears, it made him stop loving teleporting as much. I also had an Algiz Rune, which I popped just before he hit 50% so his warp spam and trying to sit on your head constantly did nothing. If you had the ability to hold two Runes and managed to score the Rune Bag or just get two Algiz Runes naturally, I think it would let Lost/Keeper survive the whole fight, assuming you took your damage multiplier to the gym beforehand. Maybe it'll get nerfed to be easier. Hush isn't fun but you can get through it okay because you can see everything coming. You might not be able to dodge it, but at least it isn't warping in directly on top of you.

They should be in a big room for starters and they need a tell on their brimstone and no wobble brimstone.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Is that "I feel drowsy" pill new? Super handy, it permanently slows every enemy in a room. Used it on Satan and it kept all forms slowed, including the floaty bomb things and stompy hooves.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Geight posted:

Is that "I feel drowsy" pill new? Super handy, it permanently slows every enemy in a room. Used it on Satan and it kept all forms slowed, including the floaty bomb things and stompy hooves.

It's new.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Geight posted:

Yup. There's also an "I feel excited" one.

There's a lot of new pills, and the effects seem either reasonable or positive now. There's at least 3 new "make a big mess of creep at Isaac's feet" pill which, while not creative, do a lot to dilute some of the crap pills that Afterbirth added.

They're also hilarious with Acid Baby (which I had). He'll give you a fresh pill every two turns and will nuke a room every time you use a pill. It's pretty great watching an entire 2x2 room of enemies die (and become spiders because I had infestation shot) because I chomped down on "I found pills!" Acid Baby also gets props for being another follower who's damage is actually based off of yours.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Update on the Antibirth porting situation from the lead dev himself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/5m3aau/on_antibirth_and_afterbirth_compatibility/

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Some of the new pills are unknown. The wiki claims there's one called "Vurp!" that throws up the last pill you ate (maybe reversing its effect or maybe just giving you another copy?).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Some of the new pills are unknown. The wiki claims there's one called "Vurp!" that throws up the last pill you ate (maybe reversing its effect or maybe just giving you another copy?).

They're still a lot better than the trash you were "rewarded" with by completing the Afterbirth challenges

"You unlocked two new pills!"*

*they're both poo poo.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone tried winging a Chaos Card at Delirium yet? He's not a bloated, armored bag of hit points, it could theoretically kill him, assuming you could hit the bastard, right?

Also, for people who know way more about mechanics than me: If you had Dunce Cap, Tech 2, and Loki's Horns, if you pumped Luck high enough could you get permanent 4-way-diagonal laser shots? Trying to figure the logistics of a Pride challenge. Just not sure if Loki's Horns can be luck-boosted until the effect occurs 100% of the time like other things can.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Are there any actually bad or useless passive items added in AB+? It seems a lot better than Rebirth/Afterbirth which had quite a few items you just don't pick up or which basically do nothing.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Ahahaha, I had a very similar thing happen with brimstone/sad bombs and delerium

edit:how many bosses did they add? I've run into the vis, delerium, and rag mega so far, but there are a bunch of unknowns listed in the bestiary.

amishjosh fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 5, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So, is AB+ worth buying?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I had this happen only with Teratomas.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ariong posted:

So, is AB+ worth buying?

Eh. Wait till they iron out the kinks. It has potential but there's a lot of bullshit that needs to be toned down.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

CJacobs posted:

Eh. Wait till they iron out the kinks. It has potential but there's a lot of bullshit that needs to be toned down.

I was gonna ask if AB+ was any good or not because holy loving poo poo you do NOT want to see Youtube comments on it.

Side note, I don't even have Afterbirth but am considering AntiBirth. That a good idea or should I go for the others before AntiBirth.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You might as well try Antibirth now since it's not compatible with Afterbirth or AB+. I haven't really played it yet because I don't want to rollback the Afterbirth improvements and one of the new characters sounds terrible.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 5, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Dark Bum only drops full Soul Hearts, Black Hearts, and spiders (Both enemies and friendlies.)

So wait, what was that guy so mad about then

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AnonSpore posted:

So wait, what was that guy so mad about then

He's convinced that half soul hearts replace full soul heart drops to gently caress over people who reset for some reason?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A legitimate reason to be annoyed by half-soul-hearts is that they pollute the room drop pool so now there's even less chance of getting something actually useful (soul heart, eternal heart, or a key).

edit: There's still no confirmation on whether or not they only appear by replacing what would've been a red half heart, and if that's the case then never mind. But it seems like it would be a bit pointless to have them and then have that be the only way to get them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 5, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ChibiSoma posted:

Has anyone tried winging a Chaos Card at Delirium yet? He's not a bloated, armored bag of hit points, it could theoretically kill him, assuming you could hit the bastard, right?
I saw someone claim Delirium had a unique reaction to it, but I haven't seen it myself.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CJacobs posted:

A legitimate reason to be annoyed by half-soul-hearts is that they pollute the room drop pool so now there's even less chance of getting something actually useful (soul heart, eternal heart, or a key).
That isn't how item drops work.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I've seen full hearts that were half red/half soul so I don't really think this whole thing is an issue. You're able to pick them up when you're full on red hearts too as far as I've noticed so I don't really think they "replace" anything, they just add a "half soul heart" item that potentially mixes with a half red heart and becomes a full heart that is half red/half soul :science:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Holy crap, they actually paid $4000 for the soundtrack. That's... simultaneously really high and really low. Really high because it's obviously money out of their own pockets, and really low because it's a very good soundtrack that I would have expected to cost far more as a professional commission.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I took Vurp as my first pill on a run Curse of the Blind had put down the shitter and you get the sound effect and a new Vurp spawns next to you and then you eat that and the same thing happens again hth

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sounds like a good combo with Acid Baby.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

Holy crap, they actually paid $4000 for the soundtrack. That's... simultaneously really high and really low. Really high because it's obviously money out of their own pockets, and really low because it's a very good soundtrack that I would have expected to cost far more as a professional commission.

I read a comment from the composer that said he's mostly done work for commercials and wants to get into video game soundtracks. Hope he does because holy moly he did a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Alteisen posted:

Oh gently caress off back to the D3 thread and keep bragging about your stupid bots you like you used to, at least that was funny.

I'm saying a great number of the changes are stupid and yes having the bum drop half a hearts is a nerf to him on top of ally or enemy spiders.

I wouldn't bring the guy up if he wasn't such a cock most of the time, I don't complain about antibirth cause its free but this isn't though I'm sure someone will reply with "hurr its 6 bucks" or "mods will fix it" but that should never be the case, what is with primarily PC players who will happily lap up poo poo purely because someone else will inevitably take the time to fix it.

hahaha you're so mad about an item that you don't understand and whining about a problem that you've never seen and can't actually happen

look at yourself, idiot