Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are these real lmao? I just saw them on Twitter but I'm not sure what book they're from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao i hadnt gotten to it yet but those are deffo real pages from todays Sam Wilson

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Say what you will about Waid's writing in Champions, but it never got this bad.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they're real and they're terrible.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This was a really, really good week for all the types of comics I like to read. Nova, Wasp, and Hawkeye were all excellent. U.S.Avengers made me smile through the whole issue. Even Champions swung around to being enjoyable again.

CWII stole my faith in Marvel away last week like a filthy thieving koala, but these books are filling me with hope again. Like a turkey baster.

e: Aaaand now I saw those scans above and I'm back down to earth again. :saddowns: loving yikes.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I'm still incredibly giddy about Nova's book. I couldn't be happier with the current writing+art team. It's exactly what I needed in the wake of Civil War 2.

also...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

fadam posted:

Say what you will about Waid's writing in Champions, but it never got this bad.

I mean the key difference is that this was written to be intentionally bad, it's not like where Waid is just enthusiastically nodding his head and going YEAH MICROAGGRESSIONS THIS WILL SPEAK TO THE KIDS

I guess it comes down to which is worse between something intended to be bad but comes off as bad in a different way or something completely earnest that turns out to be bad

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 5, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

SilverSupernova posted:

Fixed that for you.

Bendis is writing two good Iron Man books, and his Spider-Man is mediocre instead of terrible.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Bendis is writing two good Iron Man books, and his Spider-Man is mediocre instead of terrible.

I would definitely argue all three of those especially Spider-Man.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Do you need to know anything going into Nova? Like, the time I was aware of him was in Champions. It seems to be getting a whole lot of praise.

USAvengers is totally on point.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This was the best Marvel week in a long time. So many great books today. Nova, USAvengers, Hawkeye, Wasp, Unworthy Thor, Old Man Logan, Moon Knight, Avengers, and Champions. Literally every book I got today from Marvel was great.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm still incredibly giddy about Nova's book. I couldn't be happier with the current writing+art team. It's exactly what I needed in the wake of Civil War 2.

also...

I don't know who those guys are, but it was cool seeing Rich getting props.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pubic works project posted:

I don't know who those guys are, but it was cool seeing Rich getting props.

Looks like Titus, Death's Head, and a Chitauri. All of whom have crossed paths with Sam to varying degrees of destruction on their side.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Anyone who doesn't know and love Death's Head is dead to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

Anyone who doesn't know and love Death's Head is dead to me.

To be fair, he has a different re-design almost every time he shows up even if there is at least a visible through line with every new design.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

Do you need to know anything going into Nova? Like, the time I was aware of him was in Champions. It seems to be getting a whole lot of praise.

USAvengers is totally on point.

No, I only read a couple issues of Nova because I hate Sam. (I'm the online fan they're talking about) The relaunch is totally accessible and actually makes Sam, to me, likable. I also didn't know that Sam was hispanic?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

No, I only read a couple issues of Nova because I hate Sam. (I'm the online fan they're talking about) The relaunch is totally accessible and actually makes Sam, to me, likable. I also didn't know that Sam was hispanic?

Yeah, his family has been a pretty big part of his story. In fact the biggest part of his story probably. Sam is great and you should let go of your hate and go back and read all of his series starting with the first story by Loeb and McGuinness.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I really found the early issues very grating. I tried again when the writer changed and everyone here started raving about it, but still found it not to my liking. I'll go and look back at the last trade, because this gave me a bit of that Roger's Blue Beetle vibe, and not just because of the ethnicity. There aren't many books that go all in on the "family and friends know the secret identity and support the hero," but every time it comes up, I love it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Champions actually had a joke in it, albeit one that didn't make much sense. This issue was closer to what I actually wanted from the book, as opposed to sex crimes and the taliban. It's still got a way to go.

Why is Viv an emotionless beep booper? I thought she wanted to be normal at the end of Vision? That whole page felt like 'poo poo people are saying we're writing characters bad throw in an offhand comment to justify it'.

The last page reveal of Gwenpool coming along fills me with dread.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Clawtopsy posted:

The last page reveal of Gwenpool coming along fills me with dread.

Quoted for loving truth

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The idea of Waid writing another great character like he has the rest of the team also terrifies me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If there's one writer I absolutely don't trust to write a character like Gwenpool it's Mark Waid in 2017.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Champions was good.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Champions was average.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So that bit from Captain Falcon is pretty clearly intentional parody in the book itself.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TFRazorsaw posted:

So that bit from Captain Falcon is pretty clearly intentional parody in the book itself.

It's pretty clearly that in the panels posted here as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm just looking forward to the return of the american kaiju in us avengers

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TFRazorsaw posted:

A parity of loving what.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

of progressives

which is pretty low hanging fruit, admittedly

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't find it funny, because that's just taking things people are actually trying to get taken seriously and making a joke out of it as if the very concept of it supposed to make me laugh.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This is how that all concludes by the way

Any other week I probably would have rolled my eyes and went with it, After Nova, if's just clear to me that Nick Spencer just isn't very good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TFRazorsaw posted:

of progressives

which is pretty low hanging fruit, admittedly

That isn't parody that is just stating real terms and mostly using them correctly.

Except the one that got turned into an action line.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Roth posted:

I can't find it funny, because that's just taking things people are actually trying to get taken seriously and making a joke out of it as if the very concept of it supposed to make me laugh.

There are people on the left who use any statement to interpret it hostile, only spouting phrases too. There is the usual purity tests on the left. This is a parody on it. You can take real grievances and carry them to an extreme that alienates everyone allied to the same cause. That's a parody on it. The right-wing women in the next panel using the usual right talking points about real Americans and colleges becoming battlezones etc should be a big giveaway.

I find it clumsily done too, especially since it is also used to make Captain America's more nuanced stand more appealing compared to these caricatures, but I would find "perfect, flawless, united left against ugly right" the whole time not very realistic either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is not a parody.

Stating a thing does not make it a parody

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Spencer sucks, his "parody" of progressive criticism against superheroes and his use of "new internet" language to comment on it is loving atrocious and he's the absolute worst person marvel could have put on Sam's book short of bendis

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

he's the absolute worst person marvel could have put on Sam's book short of bendis

:shrug: The comic was pretty good when I was reading it (having quit for no particular reason)

edit: It was certainly better than the last half of Remender's run.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 5, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This new Falcon seems like a really cool character that I'd like to get to know but virtually nothing I've seen of Nick Spencer or this series makes me think I'd enjoy it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I can't shake how much Falcon looks like Machine Man under the hat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

virtually nothing I've seen of Nick Spencer or this series makes me think I'd enjoy it.

What's a Cap gotta do? Turn into a wolf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

What's a Cap gotta do? Turn into a wolf?

Hail Hydrant!

• Locked thread