Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain

Piso Mojado posted:

On a serious note, do you all climb indoor or outdoor?

I've never climbed outdoors. It's way too scary and I don't know how to do rope climbing and I sure as hell won't risk bouldering outdoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

hemale in pain posted:

I've never climbed outdoors. It's way too scary and I don't know how to do rope climbing and I sure as hell won't risk bouldering outdoors.

Climbing outdoors is completely different to indoors because everything is a hold but also nothing is a hold.

Learn to lead/sport climb indoors, then do sport outdoors then move onto trad. By the time you're doing trad you won't be falling off anymore so it'll be fiiiiiiiiiine

Bouldering outdoors is pretty safe if you're not highballing or falling onto rocks. A crashmat helps.

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
So i took this advice fluffieduckie gave and i did my second workout in the past 6 months with my new Ymca membership and ive sank to my knees and cried out for letting that idle period happen

It feels great tho

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
There's like weird really well-fed upper class suburban boys whos asses stick out really far

Piso Mojado

rule #1 - don't be a creepy gym goon

Rushi

by Smythe
yeah guys dont' rub neckbeards on the weights and can you please stop leaving your fedoras hanging on the ellipticals

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

Rushi posted:

yeah guys dont' rub neckbeards on the weights and can you please stop leaving your fedoras hanging on the ellipticals

i am merely using my "neckbeard" as you call it, as an impromptu abrasive surface to shave away the excess weight imparted by the unnecessary coating on the weights, bringing them all down to regulation weight, and doing YOU a favor, good sir. When your establishment begins to provide 260 grit sandpaper for this purpose, as i have left in the suggestion box multiple times, i will cease needing to use my facial hair in this manner, but until then you're welcome good sir.

GORDON

by Fluffdaddy
Just noticed this thread, so hello page 22:

Here's my motivational speech.

As a child I was always outside playing some sport or another, depending on the season. Basketball in the Spring, Summer Baseball, Football in the Fall, Hockey in the winter. Not on any teams, just the kids from the neighborhood. Growing up in a small town pwns.

In high school it was the track team, and I was pretty good. Joined the Marines after high school because I needed to get my poo poo together, and that worked well. I was a good Marine.

TL;DR, I was always a fit, active person even though obesity ran all through my family.

Took my honorable discharge and used the GI Bill and went to college, became a computer programmer, got married, and vacations consisted of white water rafting and hikes trough the Grand Canyon and I was about to start rock climbing.... when I discovered my right foot was starting to get numb.

On my 30th birthday I was getting chemotherapy trying to stop whatever autoimmune disease was making me digest my own nervous system. Nerve conduction tests, done with electricity running through needles in random parts of my body, showed the nerves in some places in my extremities were completely gone. It was a close call, I was stuck in a wheelchair and about to go on a respirator because even powering my lungs was getting difficult, and the doctors suggested maybe I should get my affairs in order, but the chemo started to work and the progression of the disease stopped. Doctors told me that nerves don't really regenerate so I shouldn't expect any improvement, ever. Again, I was 30. That's a lovely thing to hear when you're that young.

I spent a couple years not really able to move very well. Eventually I was walking with two quad canes, but even then I was stumbling and falling a lot and breaking toes every other month, or so. When I was 33 or so I decided to join the gym that was right down the road.... I could just barely work the pedals well enough to drive, so i did that during the days when the wife was at work. There wasn't much I could do, but I could strap my dead feet into the pedals of a stationary bike and do a little cardio.... it made me start feeling physically better than I had in a long while, finally being active, again. Even my awesome and motivational physical therapists told me to not expect to ever walk again. I say that unironically... they were great, but nerves just don't regenerate, and wanted me to be realistic about my expectations. I'll never forget them.

Now that I was beginning to feel human again physically, my brain was craving stimulation.... so I started attending the local community college, just for fun. I always liked science so started taking a lot of those classes, I did very well. I was still walking with two canes, but a backpack doesn't need to be carried by hand, and I was doing better... not falling as much. I never fell at school in front of the kids, thank god.

Suddenly, when I was 34, the wife tells me she is late.... suddenly she is pregnant with our first kid. We didn't think we could, it hadn't happened in 10 years, and we never tried to NOT let it happen.... but surprise. I always wanted kids, I was thrilled. I guess waking my rear end up at the gym had some unintended side effects.

35, the Father of an infant, and I am the stay-at-home Dad. Everything changed. I was forced to drop down to one cane so I had a free arm for the baby. I was always active, kids don't give you a break. I was low on sleep and learning as I went and it was great.

38, I stopped using the other cane. Walking for me is like a balancing act... I still have no nerve control below my knees, but years of practice let me make it look easy.... even if I do have to lift my foot extra high so my toes don't drag on the ground, tripping me. It looks stupid, but gently caress it, I'm walking. Even now, standing still, I am constaly making small adjustments.... I really prefer to have a wall to lean against, or a handrail to put a few fingers on. I will probably always need to concentrate on my balance, a little bit.

But we moved soon after, away from the gym, to the middle of nowhere, and I got out of the habit of exercising....

One day when I was 43, I looked in the mirror. I said "what the gently caress" under my breath, and stood on the scale for the first time in years. 245. I said, "WHAT THE gently caress" out loud. I had no idea I had let myself go that badly... I turned 40 and my body got lovely when I wasn't looking. I looked at my kid, an only child and 9 years old, and I realized that his old man, the guy he looks up to, looked like a fat piece of poo poo.... and that really lit a fire under my rear end. I looked into nutrition for pretty much the first time, and made the mental adjustments needed to change my diet, and found a nearby gym that also had a pool, and committed. And I made us a goal... when he was 10, I would get us both scuba certified, and that would be our thing, as father and son. I chose scuba because it was active, but with my nerve damage, I could still do it. Having dove as a teenager myself I knew he would love it, and it would give him all kinds of confidence in himself.

So I stopped the sugar, and I stopped most of the carbs, and I started lifting again and swimming in the off days. I've never been a swimmer but I can't run any more, so swimming is my cardio to get my wind back. I lost 30 pounds the first 6 months, and I was getting stronger, the lifting was easier and I was making gains... even though I was 45 now, and had to really pay attention to the aches and pains. It seems like your muscles are still ready to work at this age, but your joints, tendons, and ligaments really want to fight you. Damned aging infrastructure.... "40 aint no joke," I began to say. Your body becomes your enemy.

At first I couldn't even swim a single lap without resting, out of breath. My Marine background helped me at this point... "If it doesn't hurt you aren't trying hard enough..." and I worked the water hard.... if I was going to be scuba diving with my young son, I was going to be strong as hell in the water in case of emergencies. That motivation served me well. Within a year, even this morning, I swam a solid hour without breaks, including flip turns. Last time I counted laps, I did 52 in an hour... almost a mile and a half. Not the fastest person in the pool, but faster than most. I like mentally pushing myself against the guys in the lanes next to me. I still push hard every time, trying to get that 30 minute mile.

But I met my weight and fitness goals, and the kid and I certified as open water scuba divers, and now it's all we ever talk about. When we aren't diving, we are talking about it or swapping internet articles about it or planning the next dive. Hopefully it makes him not hate me so much when he becomes a sullen teenager. ;-)

So here I am, 45, all nerve damaged, supposed to be dead, always lifting and swimming and training hard to stay in shape for scuba diving with my 11 year old son. We've already got a week and 10 dives booked in Florida during his Spring Break in march, 2017. It's pretty awesome. 2016 was great year (sry for the trigger, I don't pay attention to politics).

GORDON fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 20, 2016

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

:love:

thats awesome to hear, thank you for the story and good luck with your future dives

alnilam

Luvcow posted:

:love:

thats awesome to hear, thank you for the story and good luck with your future dives

I.N.R.I

Matoi Ryuko posted:

My goal is to go from 135 to 165 as fast as possible

Wear a backpack

I.N.R.I

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I've been working my rear end off for years and have never made a friend because of it.

join a club :-]

GoodbyeTurtles

GORDON

by Fluffdaddy
I hope that rock gave consent first.

----------------

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

One sick dad, but the good kind of sick

GORDON

by Fluffdaddy

A LOVELY LAD posted:

One sick dad, but the good kind of sick

phat? that's a new word that sort of means the opposite of how it sounds too, right?

I am so street.

----------------

GoodbyeTurtles

chillen @ -2C on the top of Tenerife. (its a volcano)

View was ok

GoodbyeTurtles fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 16, 2017

100 HOGS AGREE
i'm running again and i'm gonna start lifting as soon as I can get all my weightlifting equipment sanitized (it was in my garage covered in sawdust for several months because of a project i was doing last summer and its all gross)

so i'm glad i'm getting at it again. i'm not out of shape but i'. over where I'd like to be and my motivation has always been garbage so i'm tryin hard again.

does anyone have any good videos of how to use a foam roller? i just bought one and i feel like i need it bad. i've never been one to stretch and i'm like 31 now and i can't be not doin that poo poo anymore or i'm gonna hurt myself

Matoi Ryuko

You don't need videos for that, what you do is sit ontop of it and roll back and forth with it under the muscles you want massaged, be it your back or legs. If you feel alot of leg pain, just try and push through it as you slowly increase your MPW, you'll be back in shape in no time.

100 HOGS AGREE
oh cool I'm glad it's simple I'm gonna roll everything , just flatten me out like fresh dough

pogi

I ate too much pancit and lumpia over the holidays and now I'm fat. I've decided to get back into shape, mostly through boxing drills and rock climbing.

I want to start up on weights too, but I have a big problem: I'm having a bad time performing a back squat. I can do front squats okay, but an old injury has made it so that, while I can barely get my right hand in the correct position for a back squat, I get wracked with pain as soon as I unrack the bar. Deadlifts don't give me problems and I can even do overhead press, so I'm guessing I still have issues with mobility.

What are some things I can do to improve the mobility in my shoulder? Are there any other variants of the squat I can do, and are there any alternatives to squats I can work on in the meantime?

Thanks in advance BYOB

Piso Mojado

Why not just do front squats. Basically all the same benefits I would assume

Matoi Ryuko

Less weight, more reps.

Piso Mojado

I like goblet squats too, though you obviously have to up your reps

Matoi Ryuko

If you're still having problems after that then you'll have to discover new exercises to rehabilitate your shoulders with.

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

I like goblet squats too, though you obviously have to up your reps

I like having a kettlebell for goblet squats so that I can change exercises quickly but keep working.

Piso Mojado

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Less weight, more reps.

The way he worded, I sounds like it is not a weight issue, but rather the hyperextension of his shoulder to even support the bar. Im guessing he would prob get pain even doing an empty bar in that case.

But I'm not a doctor, just a fellow squat lover

Piso Mojado

Pogi quit punching things, it's bad for your shoulder

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

The way he worded, I sounds like it is not a weight issue, but rather the hyperextension of his shoulder to even support the bar. Im guessing he would prob get pain even doing an empty bar in that case.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

If you're still having problems after that then you'll have to discover new exercises to rehabilitate your shoulders with.

Matoi Ryuko

Whatever you did to your shoulder, you're going to have to work 10x as hard and 10x as smart to fix it.

pogi

Piso Mojado posted:

You hit the nail on the head here. I might stick with front squats. That would help with my power cleans a bit as well, correct?

Piso Mojado posted:

Pogi quit punching things, it's bad for your shoulder

I would honestly be at a loss at the gym if I couldn't do boxing drills.

My new gym has a couple climbing ropes, maybe I'll learn some rope tricks or something.

Piso Mojado

Today I was doing my warm up set on the press and added the wrong weight to one side and about fell over like an idiot. I blame the fact that I didn't sleep well last night and was cognitively impaired, but regardless I feel like a complete n00b-tron. Luckily I don't think anyone saw it happen, but still...

Twerkteam Pizza

I love that my Dad owns a treadmill and his own weights, this is great or my onth off haha

hemale in pain

Piso Mojado posted:

Today I was doing my warm up set on the press and added the wrong weight to one side and about fell over like an idiot. I blame the fact that I didn't sleep well last night and was cognitively impaired, but regardless I feel like a complete n00b-tron. Luckily I don't think anyone saw it happen, but still...

done that so many times but with squatting. thankfully not fallen over yet!

bought my first pair of rock climbing shoes today!!!!

GoodbyeTurtles

Yesterday I was here:

it was damp and foggy.

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Yesterday I was here:

it was damp and foggy.

Where is that turtles?

hemale in pain

that looks like anywhere in wales

GoodbyeTurtles

Piso Mojado posted:

Where is that turtles?

Dartmoor. More specifically north west dartmoor. Will be even more specific when I've got my map on hand

AAB

is it ok to post about indoor climbing here too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

AAB posted:

is it ok to post about indoor climbing here too

absolutely, it falls under the general cool fitness/exercise scope

• Locked thread