Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I can. I remember playing STO at launch. Two healers would have enough HP and rezzes that you could very well throw yourself against the wall for hours.

I told a friend that the game was poo poo because of that, and he reacted like I'd just kicked his dog. I didn't have the heart to tell him that rolling engie and making your away teams drop nothing but turrets was just as poo poo a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Dear Cryptic, gently caress you for not showing any stats on the Superior traits available on K-13 prior to purchase. loving take this piece of poo poo Superior Astrophysicist back, the stupid thing is +15 on 3 skills vs the base being +10. I want my 100k fleet cred and 30k dil back.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I can. I remember playing STO at launch. Two healers would have enough HP and rezzes that you could very well throw yourself against the wall for hours.
Hours? Potentially infinity. They didn't have cooldowns on their rez and the damage output in both directions was so low that you couldn't kill one before they got the other up. If you didn't have some sort of stun skill or something equipped it was way faster to just stop shooting and let them kill you and try to only pull one the next time. Especially since healing on the player side was enough to otherwise counter the damage you were taking, and boffs could res each other or you too...

There's a reason people are still traumatized by ground combat even if it's pretty fun these days.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You still have to be sure to kill the Centurion Medics first.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Marik was complaining about the Romulan rep missions, which came with season 7, two and a half years after launch. Hadn't they fixed the medics by then?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yep! :v: They're still a little trickier than most enemy groups, but the strategy is literally just "shoot the medic first".

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

Hours? Potentially infinity. They didn't have cooldowns on their rez

The worst part was they could resurrect someone that had been vaporized. Such bullshit.

For the positive side of nostalgia, however, remember when gorn could vaporize people with their bite attack? :allears:

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Note that Marik HAD to return to his ship bridge after every single mission to write out a Captain's Log for himself. I would pretty much give up all my STO wealth to be able to read his commentary on some of those missions, if his forums posts are anything to go by.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vapourise everyone. :commissar:

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

DonDoodles posted:

Note that Marik HAD to return to his ship bridge after every single mission to write out a Captain's Log for himself. I would pretty much give up all my STO wealth to be able to read his commentary on some of those missions, if his forums posts are anything to go by.

Captain's Log: Romulan Medics are drat impressive at their jobs. Lost another 30 redshirts, I think I have 7 concussions. I'm gonna go take a nap.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Captain's log. My daily mission to Drozana station to procure under-aged Orion girls for immoral purposes has ended in disaster. As I approached the bar, some kind of anus-faced potbellied monster leapt atop the bar and deployed a mesmerizing multicolored sphere. This sphere caused me to unintentionally feel joy and move to the groove. This dancing was literally rape and prosecutable by law. If this were Florida, I could legally have shot this man dead. My already pitiable erection has been demolished by this foul disco, and I find myself unable to engage in unearthly statutory delights. This injustice must not stand. The line must be drawn here, no further. I have already submitted a complaint to Starfleet. End log.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

ColonelMarik posted:

My Klingon once had 20 [Doff] missions active, they ALL failed, most with disasters, and I lost around 40 DOs. My whole roster was only about 50 at the time.

Captain's log: forever alone.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Lagomorphic posted:

NoP upgrade is gonna need like 2mil dil in a day so toss that drop in that bucket I guess.
Well, so much for that.

Now what am I supposed to do with the fleet dilithium, assuming I ever get it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wow. I loaded this up today and even Tholian Red Alerts were dead.

:rip: queues.

No wait, it just popped. After ten minutes.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
They nerfed the gently caress out of xp for red alerts so no surprise there.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah they just give normal XP now so there's literally no reason to do them unless you desperately need romulan marks.

Also this is completely unrelated to why I haven't even bothered unlocking the traits of the last few ships I've picked up. :effort:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aleth posted:

They nerfed the gently caress out of xp for red alerts so no surprise there.

Wow I can only imagine how lovely it will be spamming delta missions to level up each ship individually now.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Using that while linking to the actual votes and/or results would be pretty hilarious though.

EDIT: That ought to teach me to refresh before submitting a reply, boy howdy that's late.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 4, 2017

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Dinictus posted:

Using that while linking to the actual votes and/or results would be pretty hilarious though.

EDIT: That ought to teach me to refresh before submitting a reply, boy howdy that's late.

The best way to troll is to let your sig do the talking.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BombermanX posted:

The best way to troll is to let your sig do the talking.

Is it really trolling if the sig is actually fairly normal but it just so happens to trigger autists self conditioned to hate dental hygiene?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
No. The only "trolling" happening is folks trolling themselves by getting all worked up over dental hygiene. The fits they throw just happen to be delightfully entertaining.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mondian posted:

The worst part was they could resurrect someone that had been vaporized. Such bullshit.

For the positive side of nostalgia, however, remember when gorn could vaporize people with their bite attack? :allears:

And tacs could vape people with Lunge, hence my first klink being both with AOE stuns on all bridge crew :laugh:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Technical Analysis posted:

No. The only "trolling" happening is folks trolling themselves by getting all worked up over dental hygiene. The fits they throw just happen to be delightfully entertaining.

"Dear GM,

Today an EVIL DENALT had the temerity to ENTER THE ZONE I was happily dancing in with my beautiful orion friends and continued to remain there thus DISRUPTING OUR IMMERSION despite REPEATEDLY being asked to LEAVE US ALONE!!1!!

I hereby DEMAND that you BAN THEM IMMEDIATELY.

Yours Sincerely,

A Veteran RPer Who Has Spent Thousands In THis GAME."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Thousands of hours perhaps.

I'm fairly confident that outside of a few isolated cases (ie Liamia credit card funding the HOBO base construction) that most ERPists don't spend poo poo on STO and play on burner computers.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

McSpanky posted:

And tacs could vape people with Lunge, hence my first klink being both with AOE stuns on all bridge crew :laugh:

I'm still cross they patched out the ability to lunge straight up at the Scorpion fighter in Cutting the Cord.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

DancingShade posted:

Is it really trolling if the sig is actually fairly normal but it just so happens to trigger autists self conditioned to hate dental hygiene?

I need a better "JOIN THE ACADEMY!" picture.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
Another day, another contest:
https://twitter.com/SFD_STO/status/817842611000111112
http://cosplaysky.com/contest

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/Nabreeki/status/817874449416486912
https://twitter.com/Nabreeki/status/817875405948461056
https://twitter.com/Nabreeki/status/817875807171448832

fakemirage fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 8, 2017

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
When I first checked the contest, Butts had 118 votes. Now he has 97?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Russians are hacking the contest.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

He's over 150 now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Psycho Landlord posted:

Russians are hacking the contest.

Wikileaks are dental agents according to some Romulan documents I haven't read.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

DonDoodles posted:

And now he has a few more.

The page has some caching issues so you may have to manually refresh the page for the votes to update.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

Oh, you made a character of me an- OH GOD drat IT

If I win this, I don't even.

I'm at 400 votes

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Still shows him at 97 when I load up the page. If he's at 150, though, doesn't that put him just a few votes shy of the current number one entry?

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

Breeki, I see me at 398 on the main page.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

DonDoodles posted:

Still shows him at 97 when I load up the page. If he's at 150, though, doesn't that put him just a few votes shy of the current number one entry?

I don't know who's got 2nd place, but I think the previous no.1 had 156 votes.

fakemirage fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 8, 2017

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I guess it shows different for everybody. I voted it to 400, went down to 398 and isn't changing.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Yeah I see Butts as first place with 400 now. Dunno what's up with that site and lol at the priority one guy with like 80 votes downplaying Butts on that stream.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

DonDoodles posted:

Yeah I see Butts as first place with 400 now. Dunno what's up with that site and lol at the priority one guy with like 80 votes downplaying Butts on that stream.

I sent a tweet telling them why I was there. That's right, 150 klondike bars. I deserve to win.

edit: where's his entry?

edit2: If you want to load their website without the other trash, use this: http://cosplaysky.com/active2016/halloween.php
Yes, it says bootstrap 101 template and yes it says halloween 2016. Welcome to the temporal edition of the contest!

BombermanX fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

DonDoodles posted:

That was Captain Gecko joking about his BFF Butts and Butt's visit to Cryptic HQ.

Let's not forget to show Mr. Rivera our appreciation for his shout-out during the live stream. He has without a doubt assured Butt's complete and utter victory over the opposition.

• Locked thread