Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zore posted:

He's convinced that half soul hearts replace full soul heart drops to gently caress over people who reset for some reason?

I'm not really sure what half soul hearts actually replace, but Sticky Nickels just replaced regular coins. Yeah you lost out on 1 cent if you weren't willing to spend a bomb on it, but it's better than losing out on actual nickels. I doubt half soul hearts are a nerf to soul hearts. It's probably just a Animal Crossing reference that happens to benefit you.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I saw someone claim Delirium had a unique reaction to it, but I haven't seen it myself.

Apparently it just eats it and doesn't actually work on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Eh. Wait till they iron out the kinks. It has potential but there's a lot of bullshit that needs to be toned down.

Do not do this. They do need to iron out the kinks, but it's only on sale for a week. If you "wait until they iron out the kinks" it'll cost more than three dollars more.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
biggest complaint: eating another void with the void doesn't give you a double void active

i found a diplo and duped my void and nothing happened basically (i know i could have eaten the diplo instead but it was already an insanely broken run and i wanted to test it out)

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Finally got the game to work by deleting the resource folder and re-verifying game files :D

There's a barebones CE table out for AB+ too

kater
Nov 16, 2010

All the fuckery around this new DLC inspired me to refund AB and I can't believe how much more fun the game is without it. I'm sure I will eventually pick it up, or maybe not, I don't know. Can you just buy + on its own? The mod stuff does seem like something I want.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
why can't i just buy the loving dlc without this dumbass complete bundle. i just want to gift afterbirth+ to someone but there is no option to just buy that by itself and it's super frustrating.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You might as well try Antibirth now since it's not compatible with Afterbirth or AB+. I haven't really played it yet because I don't want to rollback the Afterbirth improvements and one of the new characters sounds terrible.

One thing is, does Antibirth get that nifty expanded HUD or is that solely Afterbirth or AB+. Also yes I agree Bethany sounds terrible on paper. Not sure how they play out.

Also Scat Man is a gr8 challenge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I decided to play Afterbirth again since I heard AB+ was out (I didn't buy it). In ten runs, most of which I reset because I got garbage, I got two damage ups. Six had curse of darkness followed by two other curse levels. One of those was the labyrinth, where I got triple shot which was nice, except the game only dropped one key, so I got to not get anything at all that time except a lucky tech .5 to supplement the fairly weak shots (and curse of the tower, which I wish I remembered what the tower did). Then I got cursed eye.

I stopped playing after that run. It's really just not fun anymore.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 5, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The whole half soul heart bitching comes from people that don't really grasp how item pickups work. Those overwrite regular half hearts and a single hit of red health immunity (remember that for half a run full hearts are basically the same as half hearts) is a godsend anyway. There's legitimate complaints to be had about AB+ but that one is just idiocy.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'll say this much for Delirium, it may be yet another bullet-spewing wall of HP, but at least it actually does something this time around. It doesn't just sit there like Mega Satan, or shuffle around half-heartedly like Hush.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

To clear things up for everyone I believe you have to beat hush once to get the void, and the void is available after the chest / dark room on every single run afterwards. You do not need to fight hush in a run to go to the void.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile I might have found the best Afterbirth compatible mod out there.

But then again, it came out nearly a year ago so.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

IronicDongz posted:

good enemies added in afterbirth+:
-mushroom turrets
-depths spiders that shoot lil horn balls
-that's it

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Grapplejack posted:

To clear things up for everyone I believe you have to beat hush once to get the void, and the void is available after the chest / dark room on every single run afterwards. You do not need to fight hush in a run to go to the void.

Not every run! i've had chest/dark room runs both with and without the void portal popping up, all done after unlocking and beating it

hush runs have it open it 100% though (and there's at least one new item that opens up hush without needing to hit the time limit - the giant bomb that nukes every room on the floor and is sold fairly often in the shop)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

abraxas posted:

I've seen full hearts that were half red/half soul so I don't really think this whole thing is an issue. You're able to pick them up when you're full on red hearts too as far as I've noticed so I don't really think they "replace" anything, they just add a "half soul heart" item that potentially mixes with a half red heart and becomes a full heart that is half red/half soul :science:

That's not what he's talking about. The hybrid hearts are a new item that either refills an empty red heart container or adds a soul heart if you're at full health. The half soul hearts are soul equivalents of the half red heart.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/816802786411057152

That didn't take long.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Figured stuff would get ironed out, which is why I didn't grab any torches or pitchforks right away.

Even if there wasn't gonna be a quick re-balancing or even if the re-balancing is bad, I'm sure someone will put out a mod called "Afterbirth+ Fixed" or whatever that'll be widely adopted ala missing hud and everything will be back to normal again anyway.

I like most of the items that AB+ adds in and I think with some room/enemy tweaking it'll be a good package. Greedier Mode aside, that needs some more in-depth changes than just punching in numbers.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I uninstalled it. There's no new content other than a clipshow boss and a boss whose second phase is the same as his first phase except some of his shots now explode. Not worth the time.

You guys should all play Antibirth. I gleefully went thorough all the new content with all the characters, including the two new ones, who are actually new characters.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I gave the April Fools challenge a go and got exceptionally lucky. First treasure room was tiny planet, found a cricket's head in a chest, then got the pact and book of belial from the devil room after getting there via a joker card. Stage 1 bloat was so easy due to rock formations and tiny planet with huge tears. Next level I got homing tears and another damage up and proceeded to get favourable rock formations for every bloat then on.

Did it first time! Thanks RNG :D

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Martian Manfucker posted:

why can't i just buy the loving dlc without this dumbass complete bundle. i just want to gift afterbirth+ to someone but there is no option to just buy that by itself and it's super frustrating.

Annoyingly, you could do just after release, as I gifted it to a few people. It's only now they've broken it. :(

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I decided to try Antibirth while waiting for AB+ to get patched, and I kind of feel like some of the criticisms of AB+ could be levelled at Antibirth pretty easily. This feels like a mod written by and intended for people who are really good at the game - everything seems to have a chunk more HP, the levels are much larger, and I'm finding myself going 'oh gently caress off' a whole lot more than I did AB base. A couple of the rooms are almost certainly going to damage you - a couple of blood-trail enemies in that one room with boulders in all but a small portion of it, for instance. I guess on the whole I'm not really feeling the fun of this mod at the moment.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Can you actually have just Afterbirth+ but not the Afterbirth DLC?
Maybe they didn't plan for that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I had a void portal open up after Mom's Heart once. Not sure what the trigger was.

I think Delirium is actually fine. You have to rapidly react to a series of different attacks and there's another bullet pattern on top to avoid. The only real problem is that his glitchy teleporting can deal some unavoidable damage, which I assume will be fixed soon.

I think the bigger issue is with the rest of The Void, it doesn't do anything to define itself as a hard or unique level. Maybe it needs to be mono-champions or have twice as many enemies.

widespread posted:

One thing is, does Antibirth get that nifty expanded HUD or is that solely Afterbirth or AB+. Also yes I agree Bethany sounds terrible on paper. Not sure how they play out.
I actually meant the other character, it sounds very fiddly and possibly more annoying than Isaac's Heart. A character requiring a lot of programming work and a character being fun to play are not the same thing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I had a few runs with Beth in antibirth and she seemed bad. Her use item spawning a flame that can easily go out on attacks that takes 2 rooms to charge meant i never really got good use outta it.

Until I realized how she actually worked and ended up destroying everything because I had a massive ring of fire orbitals protecting me and attacking.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I had a void portal open up after Mom's Heart once. Not sure what the trigger was.

I think Delirium is actually fine. You have to rapidly react to a series of different attacks and there's another bullet pattern on top to avoid. The only real problem is that his glitchy teleporting can deal some unavoidable damage, which I assume will be fixed soon.

I think the bigger issue is with the rest of The Void, it doesn't do anything to define itself as a hard or unique level. Maybe it needs to be mono-champions or have twice as many enemies.
I actually meant the other character, it sounds very fiddly and possibly more annoying than Isaac's Heart. A character requiring a lot of programming work and a character being fun to play are not the same thing.

The issue is that the only real problem kills runs if you get unlucky. I lost at Delirium once because he ate five hearts of mine due to teleporting BS. It would be fine if he had Lamb health, but he's pretty tanky, which just makes it more probable that you'll eat poo poo eventually.

I'm okay with the Void itself tho. It's not the most creative level, maybe it should have some slightly altered textures to add to the dying fever feeling, but it sorta works. I'm okay with it being easier than Chest/Dark Room too, mostly because you do have to make it thru Hush and/or Delirium to beat it and those two are harder than most anything in those levels.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I only had a watched streams for Afterbirth+ but yeah, both (and mostly) The Delirium and The Big Horn have glitchy animations and teleports, to the point that they seemed rushed and unfinished (and often leave the player wondering why they took damage). The Delirium also kind of looked like a "Boss Rush 2"...

Sisters Vis have that bullshit Mega attack, which while being bullshit, at least can be avoided... with a few builds and speed, (and luck).

I think Rag Mega seems the best designed out of all the new bosses (definitely animation-wise), though still very easy to take damage with many builds.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why do the new bosses have a shitton of health!!!!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Because it's easier to change HP values than design an actual challenge.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Because it's easier to change HP values than design an actual challenge.

i feel like the orbital ragman boss is the only really good new boss this time around

he's feels actually squishier than original ragman, and his attacks are very very predictable but still difficult to dodge if there's a lot going on

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

seemed rushed and unfinished

They were compiling and uploading the DLC to Steam after it was already supposed to be released. There's no way it isn't rushed, and it's probably not playtested either. :thumbsup:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ok, this room needs to go.

Edit: Used up my nine lives throwing myself against it, time to start again :v:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 5, 2017

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Nettle Soup posted:

Ok, this room needs to go.

Yeah those are in the update coming today, they'll be half-size blastocysts, I guess.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I gave the April Fools challenge a go and got exceptionally lucky. First treasure room was tiny planet, found a cricket's head in a chest, then got the pact and book of belial from the devil room after getting there via a joker card. Stage 1 bloat was so easy due to rock formations and tiny planet with huge tears. Next level I got homing tears and another damage up and proceeded to get favourable rock formations for every bloat then on.

On my April Fool's run coins were health in the fact they were soul, dark and golden hearts. Got to a point that all my hearts were dark with gold covering so when I got hit I'd drop 5-6 new "health pickups" so I just face tanked all bloats after basement 1.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My April Fools run also had so many golden dark hearts that I could just facetank Bloats and take all the Devil Deals. It was very fun in a WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING way.

Also I kinda like Big Horn as a boss, he just needs some grace time when he's spawning his holes, and to either get a health (and probably attack) nerf or to get bopped to Womb. He's another damage check for the early floors that fucks up any shot at you salvaging a bad start. I still stand by my opinion that all characters should get at least one extra point of damage from the get-go nowadays, even when you get a easy road to Depths it's a chore to clean up those huge rooms with base attack.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
wow the AB+ trinket pool is actually strong as gently caress, read over them now that most of them have been figured out

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It feels weird that the last boss isn't "god".

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

VideoGames posted:

I got Guppy's paw in the first floor curse room. I didn't realize use items were random too until I tried to use it. A couple minutes of mashing spacebar later I was a monster. Every now and then I would mash the button and I would generate random poo poo. Eventually got a D100 roll that gave me continuum tears with split-shot, and a few doors that let me skip to the next level without fighting the tedium that was the Bloat.

Eventually I ended up with another D100 roll that left me with piss damage and laser beams (and My Reflection so the thing went all over the place when I tried to dodge) but by that point I had a bajillion bombs I could use to dash through Womb II, a near full rack of dark hearts and golden heart covers so I could just mash my face against Bloat and let Gemini and the black hearts kill him while my laser tickled him.

Edit: Just quickly checked the trinket effects that have been found so far and holy poo poo these are actually good. I have no complaints about AB+'s items, that's for sure.

Silver Dollar and Bloody Crown give you shops and item rooms in the Womb respectively for reference. And Wish Bone and Bag Lunch have a small chance to be consumed when you take damage and give you an item on a pedestal or +1 HP respectively.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 5, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pokemans challenge is feeling frustrating when half of the stuff I summon ends up back firing because any enemy that splits stops being friendly, and anything summoned isn't friendly, and I've taken damage from some of my summons....

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oxyclean posted:

Pokemans challenge is feeling frustrating when half of the stuff I summon ends up back firing because any enemy that splits stops being friendly, and anything summoned isn't friendly, and I've taken damage from some of my summons....

Some enemy spawns are friendly, it's about luck...or perhaps it's all about the devs not being thorough. If you can get an OOB (one of the big, charging minibosses from the womb level) he'll keep spawning pounds of flesh that will crawl around and leave creep, and each of those (and their creep) will be friendly, and he'll last a while since he's got a decent amount of health. Even better: each time one of THOSE die you get a friend-ball charge.

The big issue I have with it is your charm tears charming enemies which means they bounce off your summons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels weird that the last boss isn't "god".

You could make an interesting fight by making God super powerful and not realistically killable - but its health pool stayed the same across games. So you'd just keep throwing yourself at it over and over until it died.

Then you get, I don't know, poop shot so all your shots or poop or something equally ridiculous.