Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

The Tempest is a ridiculously ugly ship.

It's meant to be unarmed too isn't it?

How many times do you think it gets boarded? I'm guessing at least once, maybe twice.

Ooh maybe you can get shot down too and play collect-a-thon on a barren planet to mine 100 ore and 100 space wood to fix the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Of course, when I think about it, Mass Effect never really had memorable or interesting ship designs (excepting the Reapers and Collector Cruiser). A lot of the time they just seemed to scale the models up and down and make some minor changes.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Of course, when I think about it, Mass Effect never really had memorable or interesting ship designs (excepting the Reapers and Collector Cruiser). A lot of the time they just seemed to scale the models up and down and make some minor changes.

Maybe geth ships too

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Maybe geth ships too

Geth ships just look like elongated Covenant Phantoms. And their guns look and sound just like Covenant plasma weapons.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Peebee is the type of "endearing" character that will have a inevitable death that was supposed to make you sad but you just can't stop laughing

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Maybe geth ships too

Arcsquad12 posted:

Geth ships just look like elongated Covenant Phantoms. And their guns look and sound just like Covenant plasma weapons.

The scary Geth dreadnought is just one of the usual Geth ships that seems to function as both troop dropship and frontline combatant, just scaled up to be extra big.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually surprised at how much poo poo is impossible to you in ME3 if you didn't load a previous save. Almost all of the best possible ends for some missions so far can't be done if you don't load a previous save with the perfect decisions.

I hope andromeda is a self contained game, meant to have no further sequels.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
If Andromeda turns out to be Mass Effect: Six Jobs Fiesta, I'll probably not give a poo poo about any other faults it might have and play that for years to come.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nerdz posted:

Haha it will only be that if it's a terrible financial flop.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I just want to be pirate/merc captain in the Terminus Systems. Maybe Andromeda's sequel will be far enough in the future that an equivalent will have developed.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah. The best we can hope for is that it will be like Dragon Age with the narrative being more about the "world" than a single protagonist.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

nerdz posted:

I'm actually surprised at how much poo poo is impossible to you in ME3 if you didn't load a previous save. Almost all of the best possible ends for some missions so far can't be done if you don't load a previous save with the perfect decisions.

This is no longer a problem. With the success of the Dragon Age Keep, I bet you will never have to import a save again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Torrannor posted:

This is no longer a problem. With the success of the Dragon Age Keep, I bet you will never have to import a save again.

I'm completely happy to lie about my previous game choices so this is fine by me.

Still disappointed my "kill everyone racist elf" from DA:O was canonically killed in an act of selfless heroism. That's totally not what I did.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Pattonesque posted:

Release date is March 21

http://x.ea.com/28373

quote:

Over this holiday break, developers at BioWare took home a version of the game in what we call the “holiday build”. This is a longstanding studio tradition that goes back to the early days of the original Mass Effect. Many load up a PC or console and go home to play as much as possible at their leisure. Coming back from holiday, the feedback has been great.

Employer of the year right here

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sounds like emergency testing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Milky Moor posted:

Sounds like emergency testing.

Or one could take them at their word and believe that it's a long tradition? :shrug:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I'm completely happy to lie about my previous game choices so this is fine by me.

Still disappointed my "kill everyone racist elf" from DA:O was canonically killed in an act of selfless heroism. That's totally not what I did.

History is written by the victors. In this case, it's the human kingdoms that were not eaten by darkspawn so their history say your elf is One Of The Good Ones.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Or one could take them at their word and believe that it's a long tradition? :shrug:

The long tradition apparently stretching back a decade which Google seems to indicate has only been referred to previously with Dragon Age: Inquisition. :shrug:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Not too sure about that UI bioware!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Milky Moor posted:

The long tradition apparently stretching back a decade which Google seems to indicate has only been referred to previously with Dragon Age: Inquisition. :shrug:

Not every piece of company policy is plastered over Google. It obviously serves a playtest function, but that doesn't make it emergency or somehow not a cool perk.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Bioware janitor stubbed their toe coming in the front door this morning. Sounds like everyone there's in a right panic over the status of Mass Effect: Andromeda. Keep it under your hats, lads.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

[Extremely Darth Sidious voice] Begin... EMERGENCY TESTING.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

No, I mean there are more occasions when the script calls for Shepard and co. to [shoot a gun] or [point a gun at bad guy], because there is more primary content in ME2 and ME3 and they have more action-centred cutscenes. There are then more potential 'correct' animations that need to be checked for each of these moments - does Shepard use a gun or biotics or tech? what type of gun does their class allow? did they pick a bonus gun on the Collector Ship? which specific model of gun do they use? is this gun appropriate to the context, e.g. is Shepard gonna blast their shotgun wildly when they're supposed to be in a long-range firefight? what about all of the above, but for the two squadmates, out of a cast of 12 and 8?

simply have a counter that checks how often you used a certain weapon then have the most often used weapon on display during cutscene X
dont even need to address biotics as they too use weapons even if its only used to blow off shields with it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Teron D Amun posted:

simply have a counter that checks how often you used a certain weapon then have the most often used weapon on display during cutscene X
dont even need to address biotics as they too use weapons even if you only use it to blow off shields with it

Point is accounting for different weapons means more animation work (or even mocap), because holding different weapon classes uses different poses. Automating the skeleton to adjust to the weapon would inevitably look jankier and lead to visual bugs, at least not without additional work.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Teron D Amun posted:

What if a cutscene occurs in a small room and has Shepard drawing a pistol to threaten someone with, and then firing it at someone else and their most used weapon is the Avenger?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What's the bet FemRyder is using the same skeletal animations as MaleRyder this time around?

I'm thinking 100% because there is no other way to explain that waddle run FemShep did in ME3.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

DancingShade posted:

What's the bet FemRyder is using the same skeletal animations as MaleRyder this time around?

I'm thinking 100% because there is no other way to explain that waddle run FemShep did in ME3.

> 90%

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

DancingShade posted:

you talk about the running, I'm thinking of the dancing

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DancingShade posted:

That looked bad on dudes as well.

The one anecdote I've heard regarding that animation, and this was ages ago so no idea what the source was, is that they were constantly hitting their memory cap on consoles and looking for any way to reduce memory usage. And that waddle is one tiny example of that.

I mean, it would at least explain why they'd replace a perfectly serviceable animation from the previous games with that abomination.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Rinkles posted:

That looked bad on dudes as well.

The one anecdote I've heard regarding that animation, and this was ages ago so no idea what the source was, is that they were constantly hitting their memory cap on consoles and looking for any way to reduce memory usage. And that waddle is one tiny example of that.

I mean, it would at least explain why they'd replace a perfectly serviceable animation from the previous games with that abomination.

They definitely mentioned at some point that running out of memory was the reason for removing the ability to holster/unholster weapons, so they only had to have one character state in memory instead of two

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Jeza posted:

Not every piece of company policy is plastered over Google. It obviously serves a playtest function, but that doesn't make it emergency or somehow not a cool perk.

Taking home your work over the holidays isn't a cool perk though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Perchance to dream.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dan Didio posted:

What if a cutscene occurs in a small room and has Shepard drawing a pistol to threaten someone with, and then firing it at someone else and their most used weapon is the Avenger?

Then they thought out their cutscene wrong and messed up by giving player choice on weapon loadouts but still writing the scene like you took the default one. If shep needs a pistol for a cut scene just show them picking one up, or don't allow you to not have a pistol equipped, or write the scene different so she's threatening somehow else, or do the work and animate different guns. It's lame when the game shows the fact it's "the default choices on the character creation screen are the canon ones, the other stuff is just noncanonical reskins" because as a series it's mostly been good about NOT doing that.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
going to name my Ryder with a first name starting with J, and them I'm gonna romance PeeBee, and then I'm gonna refer to them as PB&J

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Some screen shots from the CES Summit talk of all the skills/evolve powers shown.

http://imgur.com/a/Z0bxE

Who ever said it look just like the ME3 multiplayer was right on the money.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

DancingShade posted:

It's high... it's very nigh

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I remain cautiously optimistic about Andromeda. I'm certainly not going to pre-order and wait for reviews and whatnot.

I'm not a fan of the zoomed in shoulder cam though. Its way too close.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If gamers are weak-willed enough to even pre-order Andromeda then there's just no hope for us as a consumer demographic.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

If gamers are weak-willed enough to even pre-order Andromeda then there's just no hope for us as a consumer demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Linx posted:

Taking home your work over the holidays isn't a cool perk though

If you are an animator and spent the whole development process animating butts, you might want to actually play the game sometimes. So it just may be a cool perk after all.