Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Large Hardon Collider posted:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=206562&newpost=3177400

OP's brother in law has blown through $300k in secret, not including what he stole from his elderly mother in law via POA. Oh, and he's a financial advisor.

This one is quickly spiraling out of control, especially when he finds out that his brother in law completely drained his mother's IRA and she is now destitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

lol, ignorance of the law is no excuse especially when this dipshit is literally trying to buy something to potentially loving kill people with

Yeah if it was just some dumb kid shoplifting sure call his parents in to shame him and give him a big scare about the serious consequences of stealing and then cut him loose, but this kid has bought multiple murder devices using a currency that is effectively only used for crimes.

I mean I don't think he should be thrown in rikers for 10 years but I don't think he should just get a stern talking to + probation either.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

monster on a stick posted:

This one is quickly spiraling out of control, especially when he finds out that his brother in law completely drained his mother's IRA and she is now destitute.

The IRA is pretty small though (50k), and with her having only had ~300k from a house sale and $4500 in income while she was on alimony but with living expenses near $12k a month, I could almost believe that the money she had is gone legitimately. $350k is nothing with the kind of medical expenses he details.

BWM: live through a traumatic brain surgery in America.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

The IRA is pretty small though (50k), and with her having only had ~300k from a house sale and $4500 in income while she was on alimony but with living expenses near $12k a month, I could almost believe that the money she had is gone legitimately. $350k is nothing with the kind of medical expenses he details.

Yeah but somehow she's still got car insurance, and BIL arranged for a vacation bar mitzvah. Absent anything else I'd say sure he probably spent the money on her but considering he's denying that he opened up any credit cards in her name while the poster has statements right in front of him saying otherwise, he's probably lying.

In other BWM news:

quote:

Lost 15k in stocks (over 75% of net worth) (self.investing)

I lost a lot of money in stocks I over the past two years. I bought and held stocks. Main stocks I lost is over twitter and fitbit. I bought near IPO. Im 23 and my net worth use to be 20k, and now im down to a few thousand. I feel so discouraged that I just lost all the money I worked my entire life for. Can anyone give me any words of advice. thanks

Twitter and Fitbit :lol:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

In other BWM news:

Twitter and Fitbit :lol:

I'd laugh, but I'm down like 5% in NVDA when I was up like 30% because I was feeling impetuous and threw $15k more at it just on a whim. No realized losses yet of course, but I myself have all the making of a BWM story at the moment.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

At least he's only 23, he can take a hard lesson from this and be fine, which is much better than when this happens with someone in their 40s who decides to cash out their retirement and make big money on the market.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Twitter is "only" down about 25% from its IPO price and Fitbit is a little over 50% down. How has he lost 75% of his net worth from it?

Also, just lol at going all in on a company that is famous for having no monetization plan.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Oh man...the main indexes had double-digit increases in 2016, which is even more when you consider the absolutely disastrous start loving China. It'd suck to look at your portfolio and see a 75% loss.

I used* to adhere to the 'buy stocks from companies you use' and it worked pretty decently for me. But that'd suck if you used a lot of Twitter while wearing your FitBit.

*not anymore

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Indexes (indices?) are for investing, individual stocks are for gambling

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Nail Rat posted:

Indexes (indices?) are for investing, individual stocks are for gambling

Speculation versus gambling.

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/042715/what-difference-between-speculation-and-gambling.asp

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I love to speculate on craps.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Speculating at the strip club is where it's at, there's a guaranteed payout.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Guest2553 posted:

Speculating at the strip club is where it's at, there's a guaranteed payout.

Check out these huge tracts of land, their value is going up uP UP

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Every time I try to speculate at the strip club they ask me to leave.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NancyPants posted:

Every time I try to speculate at the strip club they ask me to leave.

Are you confusing "speculate" with "speculum" again? C'mon, I thought we had this buddy.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

13061 posts?

edit: Oh, it's one of those deal posting sites.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

So he made trades without allowing previous ones to settle causing him to make all his purchases on margin?

Probably just confusing book and market values. And also not knowing what parentheses mean.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are you confusing "speculate" with "speculum" again? C'mon, I thought we had this buddy.

Damnit I knew I was missing something.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Devor posted:

Come back to tell us what happens about the check your Dad cut you just before declaring Bankruptcy
Got my money back and maxed out my 2017 Roth IRA contribution with it.

Now I'm researching claiming my dad as a dependent for the new tax year.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Reading your post history... Tell me more about the Y2K gold stash. How much gold was it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

n8r posted:

Reading your post history... Tell me more about the Y2K gold stash. How much gold was it?
He says he found it and sold it immediately for $6000. I have no idea how much gold that is since I don't speculate on it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Dude opened up a margin account without knowing what margin was then used it to buy stocks, didn't clue in to the fact that he owes money, and then gets mad when it's pointed out.

Seems like the kind of person who shouldn't be playing around with a margin account which is why thought it might fit into the BWM thread :(

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lmao.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ate all the Oreos posted:

Like I get it if they're your hobby, my dad repairs old cars and pours a ton of money into them but he's actually rebuilding them from the ground up and stuff. It's fine to spend money (that you can afford) on something you're really into but I just don't get why everyone needs to drive an SUV or truck to their office job every day :shrug:

I love cars. I also know my budget, and thus drive an ex-cop Crown Vic that was a parking lot queen for my daily. It doesn't get great mileage, but without a car payment on a 5 year old car with ~100k miles on it that's been constantly maintained, I can afford gas. :v:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Twitter is "only" down about 25% from its IPO price and Fitbit is a little over 50% down. How has he lost 75% of his net worth from it?

Also, just lol at going all in on a company that is famous for having no monetization plan.

Might want to brush up on those math/chart reading skills.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Harry posted:

Might want to brush up on those math/chart reading skills.

Even if we assume that 100% of his net worth is in stocks, then his losses would be around 37.5%; not even close to 75% and it is extremely unlikely that his net worth was 100% in stocks.

If you have $50 in Twitter and $50 in Fitbit at IPO prices, as he states, then yesterday you would have gone from $100 in value to about $62.50.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even if we assume that 100% of his net worth is in stocks, then his losses would be around 37.5%; not even close to 75% and it is extremely unlikely that his net worth was 100% in stocks.

If you have $50 in Twitter and $50 in Fitbit at IPO prices, as he states, then yesterday you would have gone from $100 in value to $62.50.

He said near IPO. Twitter IPOed at 26, peaked three months later at 69, and currently sits just under 17/share. Fitbit opened at 20, peaked a few weeks later at 47 and is currently at 8.

Both of them started trading way higher than IPO price very quickly. It's more likely that he got them near the peak not during the actual IPO.

A lot of people have been hosed hard by the tech bubble IPOs. I would be surprised if there aren't some lawsuits at some point in the near future.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 5, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mr. Nice! posted:

A lot of people have been hosed hard by the tech bubble IPOs. I would be surprised if there aren't some lawsuits at some point in the near future.

On what grounds? IPOs have been a pretty consistently bad bet.

A Random Walk Down Wall Street posted:

In measuring all IPOs five years after their initial issuance, researchers have found that IPOs underperform the total stock market by about four percentage points per year. The poor performance starts about six months after the issue is sold. Six months is generally set as the "lockup" period, where insiders are prohibited from selling stock to the public. Once that constraint is lifted, the price of the stock often tanks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Considering that some of the biggest darlings of the tech bubble have been based on literal fraud, criminal exploitation of workers, and flagrant disregard of regulations, there is certainly some other less than legal activity that will be the subject of various lawsuits over the coming years. I'm entirely speculating, however.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mr. Nice! posted:

flagrant disregard of regulations

:eng101: the proper term is "disruption" :downs:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did your Dad declare bankruptcy, and is it all wrapped up?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BWM: probably paying more in AC/heating than your mortgage:

Reddit posted:

I'm getting ready to purchase my first home and I'm torn. I'm in Houston TX. For those who own a townhome, would you do it again? What kind of advice could you offer someone who's considering purchasing one.
My options are:
A smallish townhouse 1200 sq ft in a decent area 2/2 fully renovated with $65/month HOA fee. Price: 105k
A large 9,000 sq ft home fully renovated 3/1 huge yard pretty far from downtown. Price: 130k
What would you choose?

What the gently caress would you even DO with a 9,000 square foot house as a first house?

Didn't bother with link because there's only one comment but it's on the first page.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Nail Rat posted:

BWM: probably paying more in AC/heating than your mortgage:

What the gently caress would you even DO with a 9,000 square foot house as a first house?

Didn't bother with link because there's only one comment but it's on the first page.

Spend your life buying poo poo to fill it and then working to pay it off.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

That's got to be a typo or he's confusing lot size with building size. Even in our gloriously cheap exurban wastelands, housing isn't *that* cheap.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SlapActionJackson posted:

That's got to be a typo or he's confusing lot size with building size. Even in our gloriously cheap exurban wastelands, housing isn't *that* cheap.

Could be an abandoned warehouse filled with transients.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

So how about them bitcoins

At least the Saiga-12 gunrunner dude cashed out near the top. A bargain is a bargain.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

He said near IPO. Twitter IPOed at 26, peaked three months later at 69, and currently sits just under 17/share. Fitbit opened at 20, peaked a few weeks later at 47 and is currently at 8.

Both of them started trading way higher than IPO price very quickly. It's more likely that he got them near the peak not during the actual IPO.

Facebook was sued over charges it overvalued and manipulated it's IPO. People really have a hard time understanding risk.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he is including his paper profits for Twitter and Fitbit in his "losses". Maybe he got in before the peak and is using those prices for the 75% loss even though that is in no way, shape, or capacity an actual loss.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Yea, a 9,000 sq ft house with 3 bedrooms and one bathroom would be have some amazing comedy design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Facebook was sued over charges it overvalued and manipulated it's IPO. People really have a hard time understanding risk.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he is including his paper profits for Twitter and Fitbit in his "losses". Maybe he got in before the peak and is using those prices for the 75% loss even though that is in no way, shape, or capacity an actual loss.

He didn't say he bought it at the IPO price. He said he bought near the IPO. He probably bought in near or at the peaks, in which case his losses are all real and make mathematical sense as well.

• Locked thread