Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So, like... does anyone actually enjoy watching a cartoon character dance? And I'm talking the typical dance party dance. I understand enjoying watching the ballet in Duet, or Esmeralda's festival dance, or sweeping ballroom dances like Sleeping Beauty or B&tB, but I've never quite gotten the fun of watching dancing animations of a character, segregated, doing a dance party dance.
I think the divide for me is the former pertain to personality and emotion and the latter is devoid of it. You could swap out any character doing those dance party animations and it wouldn't change jack poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Das Boo posted:

So, like... does anyone actually enjoy watching a cartoon character dance?

At least one guy has built a little internet career out of it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I didn't mind the original Shrek dance party ending because there was a bunch of gags mixed in with the dancing and it was pretty short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dByBJdbrtBs

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Haledjian posted:

At least one guy has built a little internet career out of it.

I'll have you know I make total exception for gloomph bouncing!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the deal with talespin anyway, why did they decide to repurpose jungle book characters for that show, that always seemed like a weird thing to do

I suspect that it originally started out just as a Jungle Book show, but was eventually rewritten into something else.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

So, like... does anyone actually enjoy watching a cartoon character dance? And I'm talking the typical dance party dance. I understand enjoying watching the ballet in Duet, or Esmeralda's festival dance, or sweeping ballroom dances like Sleeping Beauty or B&tB, but I've never quite gotten the fun of watching dancing animations of a character, segregated, doing a dance party dance.
I think the divide for me is the former pertain to personality and emotion and the latter is devoid of it. You could swap out any character doing those dance party animations and it wouldn't change jack poo poo.

If you don't like the dance party dance, why did you make it your avatar? :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I suspect that it originally started out just as a Jungle Book show, but was eventually rewritten into something else.

And was so much the better as a result.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Das Boo posted:

They don't seem so much for the audience as for the animation team

also if you wanna fill five minutes at the end without having to expend much effort and without having to look like you're just filling time there's worse ways to go than all your characters looping through a little animation while some licensed music plays

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I listened to Gilbert Gottfried's episode of I Was There Too where he was talking about working on Aladdin, and he said that Iago was Katzenberg's idea and the original script had Jafar being the wacky crazy one and his parrot being the serious one. You don't hear a lot of stories about Katzenberg's meddling being a change for the better but there you go.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

A TV series following the Disney Jungle Book characters would be kind of dull

I remember Jungle Cubs being OK, at least by the standards of the endless mediocre "[IP] but they're KIDS LIKE YOU!!!" shows that dominated the 90s.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was who framed roger rabbit any good

Like, I know it is this beloved technological marvel of animation and live action and fitting all of these different characters together, but was it actually any good?

I haven't seen it in forever and tbh I know it's lame as hell but I only thought about it again because I had a nightmare the other night involving me having to watch the shoe scene again :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FirstAidKite posted:

Like, I know it is this beloved technological marvel of animation and live action and fitting all of these different characters together, but was it actually any good?

What the gently caress yes

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FirstAidKite posted:

I haven't seen it in forever and tbh I know it's lame as hell but I only thought about it again because I had a nightmare the other night involving me having to watch the shoe scene again :(

I watched it two or three years ago and it was still fun as heck.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FirstAidKite posted:

Holy poo poo, what? I have no idea how you got the impression that it wasn't actually good.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Yes it was

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I never had the impression that it wasn't good, I just have not seen it in decades so I don't actually remember anything about it other than its existence and some characters

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And that loving shoe scene

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I only really remember the ending bits, myself, with the trip into Toontown, the legally-complicated scene with Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny skydiving, and a voice that talked JUST! LIKE! THIIIIIIIIIIIS!

But that's enough for me, it was still a good film.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's easily the best movie whose climax involves Bob Hoskins dropping rhymes about balls.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

And that loving shoe scene

You clearly haven't seen the deleted pig mask scene. Possible spoilers if someone somehow still hasn't seen the movie: (skip to 4:25 if you just want to see the part in question)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz_TEJ0BFEI

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Magnus Condomus posted:

You clearly haven't seen the deleted pig mask scene. Possible spoilers if someone somehow still hasn't seen the movie: (skip to 4:25 if you just want to see the part in question)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz_TEJ0BFEI

Still not as bad

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

21 Muns posted:

If you don't like the dance party dance, why did you make it your avatar? :colbert:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you wanna fill five minutes at the end without having to expend much effort and without having to look like you're just filling time there's worse ways to go than all your characters looping through a little animation while some licensed music plays

He is dancing to- *checks public domain list*- Happy Birthday.

(I'm really having a hard time thinking of a worse way to go out without a character having a five minute long fart, though.)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

It's easily the best movie whose climax involves Bob Hoskins dropping rhymes about balls.

That man was gold in the 90's. Roger, Mario, Hook :krad:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bob Hoskins was the best part of Super Mario Bros because he was like the only one trying, despite being shitfaced drunk almost the entire time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Bob Hoskins was the best part of Super Mario Bros because he was like the only one trying, despite being shitfaced drunk almost the entire time.

Hey, Dennis Hopper tried too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And he was going sober at the time, so you gotta feel for him.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FirstAidKite posted:

I never had the impression that it wasn't good, I just have not seen it in decades so I don't actually remember anything about it other than its existence and some characters

Go rewatch it, it holds up.

In addition to being a technical marvel with amazing animation it's also a pretty solid murder mystery with good characters and humor, it's a legitimately great movie.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 5, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If anything, adults would get way more out of Roger Rabbit than kids do.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Roger Rabbit is great for kids but it's excellent for adults.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Roger Rabbit is great for kids but it's excellent for adults.

It's definitely one of those movies that, though ostensibly targeted at kids and though a kid could conceivably really enjoy it, an adult with good taste is definitely going to like it a lot more than a kid with good taste.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Who Framed Roger Rabbit invented film noir.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you want a real trip, read Who Censored Roger Rabbit?, the novel the movie was adapted from.

About all they have in common is some of the characters' names and two lines of dialogue.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

21 Muns posted:

It's definitely one of those movies that, though ostensibly targeted at kids and though a kid could conceivably really enjoy it, an adult with good taste is definitely going to like it a lot more than a kid with good taste.

It's nice because it plays well in both directions - a kid is going to get a lot from it, and then when they grow up they're going to get even more, so it kind of grows up with you.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

and two lines of dialogue.

What's that?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FirstAidKite posted:

What's that?

"I got a 50-year-old lust and 3-year-old dinky" and "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Entertainment Weekly has a first-look at Cars 3, and if the thesis of Cars was "people ignore what made Route 66 great," the thesis of Cars 3 might be "Millennials are brats."

quote:

From an ideological standpoint, [the "villainous"] Jackson embodies the extreme entitlement that has come to plague millennial descriptions. “He thinks the world is his. He’s taking over. He’s owed it,” says Fee. “In a very broad term, I think of old football players with those little leather skull caps, and you think of football players now with all their armor, hitting so hard. It’s not the same game. What they did was not anything like what we do now. And that’s Jackson: He thinks the future of racing and the high-tech ways they train and what they can do means they’re taking the sport to a new level, and the older guys had their day, and it’s done, and they have no place in the future of racing.”

The Millennial thing seems to be some editorializing from EW, but you have to think Pixar signed off on it. If this isn't about those gosh darned millennials and their sense of entitlement it feels like this movie's villain is just Lightning from the first movie. Either way this doesn't seem great?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Boxman posted:

If this isn't about those gosh darned millennials and their sense of entitlement it feels like this movie's villain is just Lightning from the first movie.

I've always wanted to punch Lightning McQueen in the hood, so I can see the merit in this. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boxman posted:

Entertainment Weekly has a first-look at Cars 3, and if the thesis of Cars was "people ignore what made Route 66 great," the thesis of Cars 3 might be "Millennials are brats."

The Millennial thing seems to be some editorializing from EW, but you have to think Pixar signed off on it. If this isn't about those gosh darned millennials and their sense of entitlement it feels like this movie's villain is just Lightning from the first movie. Either way this doesn't seem great?

I hope the reveal is that Lightning McQueen has grown into an old meaningless racist and he realizes at the end when his family have all abandoned them because he keeps saying horrible things about foreign cars.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Lightning McQueen develops a weird affinity for Hawaiian shirts.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Boxman posted:

So it's yet another movie with Lassiter preaching about the old days? That's basically every movie he's done, I think he's beat that horse enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

ImpAtom posted:

I hope the reveal is that Lightning McQueen has grown into an old meaningless racist and he realizes at the end when his family have all abandoned them because he keeps saying horrible things about foreign cars.

So, Gran Torino?

Edit: Actually, I would totally watch that.

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 5, 2017