Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

QNAP have made very large strides, including getting an enterprise department that does indeed use ZFS powered by FreeBSD (with ECC memory, of course) on their latest machine - which also makes use of carp and some of the other nice features that FreeBSD has.
That said, their normal SOHO/SMB targeted boxes are pretty good as well, and plex is relatively painless to install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm really interested in seeing their ZFS range develop. I wish these NAS manufacturers like QNAP, Synology etc. would pick a drive carrier design and then use it across the range, though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fnkels posted:

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with using Windows 10 as a Plex Media Server.

I upgraded my main computer and I want to turn my old one into a dedicated Plex Media Server. Since it already has Windows 10 on it, it seems like a waste to wipe everything and stick OpenMediaVault on it or something. Are there any drawbacks I should be aware of? I'm imagining that I have pretty good flexibility working in the Windows 10 environment.

It works fine, all the normal downsides of using client windows as a server OS apply (frequent updates causing restarts, need a Pro license to remote desktop into it). My Plex server runs on a Win10 PC and it's OK.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I run plex on my Windows 10 rig and it's totally fine. I use TeamViewer to remote in when needed, and it's set to automatically log back in upon restarts so that's not a problem either.

Eventually I want to get a dedicated NAS like a synology or something like that, but the problem is I need transcoding for my parents/brothers that also use my plex.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

QNAP have made very large strides, including getting an enterprise department that does indeed use ZFS powered by FreeBSD (with ECC memory, of course) on their latest machine - which also makes use of carp and some of the other nice features that FreeBSD has.
That said, their normal SOHO/SMB targeted boxes are pretty good as well, and plex is relatively painless to install.

The enterprise stuff is starting to look $$$ for me, so trying to stay away from that.

I wish the -871 had those M.2 slots -- would love to put in two Samsung 850s and use that as the store for my VMs, and have the 8 spinning disks be for my storage. 8 is about as large as I'd want to go with RAID-6 I imagine.

How does expansion work? If I start out with 4 8TB drives in say RAID-5, can in resilver/something in place to go to a 8x8TB RAID-6? Is there a scrubby / checksum daemon I can run to ensure bits didn't die in DRAM / controller cache before being committed to disk (or a bit rot issue)?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Does anyone have any input on a Synology DS416play? See here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GXMWEPC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A17AS5ETPMZ9A1&th=1

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and selling off my WD MyCloud 4TB and going for a 12TB variant of this one straight from amazon pre-loaded with the drives as its significantly cheaper for the 12TB pre-loaded than buying 12TB worth of drives myself. I'm looking for a drive that will backup all my machines (PC and laptop with several drives) and will also act as a reliable Plex server.

It's a big investment but my PC drives are approaching 10 years old and while they still seem to be going strong, at this age, I'm operating under the assumption that they will go any day now and as such they can't ever be not-backed-up. My 4TB myCloud is decent enough but it's just barely big enough to back up my data and no more. I'd prefer to combine my streaming stuff with my backup in one device rather than across two attached drives that I have right now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Any opinions on running Windows Server Essentials 2016 on a NAS, if one can get a license on the cheap? Seems like Storage Spaces got finally manageable, device eviction and balancing are options now that make it viable for funny disk geometry. All I do is serving SMB shares anyway.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

PiCroft posted:

Does anyone have any input on a Synology DS416play? See here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GXMWEPC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A17AS5ETPMZ9A1&th=1

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and selling off my WD MyCloud 4TB and going for a 12TB variant of this one straight from amazon pre-loaded with the drives as its significantly cheaper for the 12TB pre-loaded than buying 12TB worth of drives myself. I'm looking for a drive that will backup all my machines (PC and laptop with several drives) and will also act as a reliable Plex server.

It's a big investment but my PC drives are approaching 10 years old and while they still seem to be going strong, at this age, I'm operating under the assumption that they will go any day now and as such they can't ever be not-backed-up. My 4TB myCloud is decent enough but it's just barely big enough to back up my data and no more. I'd prefer to combine my streaming stuff with my backup in one device rather than across two attached drives that I have right now.

Why do you think it's cheaper to get it preloaded? The enclosure is GBP 391 and each drive is GBP 101 for a total of 795, compared to 870 for the bundle.

I think the cheaper Synologies have some trouble with high def video because the processor isn't ideal for Plex, but I'm not sure how much of a factor that is - you might want to search around and make sure that model won't have a problem streaming high def stuff.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Apparently the underlying storage part of Storage Spaces, namely ReFS, has been receiving continual work, so I'd be interested in seeing whether Storage Spaces in Windows Server 2016 (and the coming Big Update for Windows 10?) has actually become reliable and fast enough to be used - I seem to recall there being some situations that would cause dataloss, but if that's been fixed and more parity levels have been aded (raid6- and raid7-likes), it might be an option for people who don't want to deal with n*x for ZFS.
I suspect, though, that until you can use Storage Spaces to make a stripe+parity-backed boot drive, it isn't good enough for me - tha's kind of become the litmus test for speed and reliability.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When I see “ReFS”, I think “MurderFS”.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Platystemon posted:

You're thinking of ReiserFS, ReFS is something entirely different.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've been casually clicking around Technet yesterday, and there was plenty of mentions of dual parity in the WS2016 pages. No straight mention of it on the same line as Storage Spaces, but I don't think they'd blab about stuff in length the OSb wouldn't support anyway.

--edit:
Yeah, dual parity is in. I guess I have to look out for benchmarks.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831739(v=ws.11).aspx#BKMK_NEW

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 5, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

ed: f,b

Isn't ReiserFS almost as dead as his wife?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Twerk from Home posted:

You're thinking of ReiserFS, ReFS is something entirely different.

I know, but that doesn’t stop me from thinking about it.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Droo posted:

Why do you think it's cheaper to get it preloaded? The enclosure is GBP 391 and each drive is GBP 101 for a total of 795, compared to 870 for the bundle.

I think the cheaper Synologies have some trouble with high def video because the processor isn't ideal for Plex, but I'm not sure how much of a factor that is - you might want to search around and make sure that model won't have a problem streaming high def stuff.

Are you looking at the 3TB drives? The 4TB ones are around 140 GBP. Although now that you mention it, 4x3TB drives for a combined 9TB might be an option - on consideration, I may not need 12TB

Thanks for pointing out the HD video issue - I'll research it some more and see what others have to say on it.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

PiCroft posted:

Are you looking at the 3TB drives? The 4TB ones are around 140 GBP. Although now that you mention it, 4x3TB drives for a combined 9TB might be an option - on consideration, I may not need 12TB

Thanks for pointing out the HD video issue - I'll research it some more and see what others have to say on it.

You linked the 12TB drive, I think that comes with 4x3tb drives. If you want 4x4tb drives it would be the 16tb version which is a little more expensive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why am I nervous while I wait for a RAID to rebuild? I have multiple back-ups.

Perhaps it is because I am reminded of the mortality of spinning rust

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a flash drive die on me last year which took several hours of homework with it and prompted a better plan for my storage which included a cloud backup service. I went with SOS because they allowed you to backup a network drive and had an affordable unlimited storage plan.

They sent me an email today saying that the unlimited plan was going away and I'd have to change to something else. The tier my backup falls into is 500gb which they want $200 a year for. I'm not really sure I want to pay that much. Can anyone suggest a different service that will backup a network drive, and is unlimited or at least really far up there, for a reasonable price?

Also didn't some of these services used to have a program where they'd mail you a hard drive so you didn't have to completely devote your connection to uploading for a few weeks for the initial? None of them seemee to have that anymore.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 6, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Casimir Radon posted:

Also didn't some of these services used to have a program where they'd mail you a hard drive so you didn't have to completely devote your connection to uploading for a few weeks for the initial? None of them seemee to have that anymore.

Backblaze does that.

I just know that from reading their site recently, though. I can’t say anything about their service one way or the other.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crashplan's unlimited is truly unlimited. The client sucks balls but it's better than nothing.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

IOwnCalculus posted:

Crashplan's unlimited is truly unlimited. The client sucks balls but it's better than nothing.

It's not that bad. Amazon's is worse. Crashplan also doesn't really want you backing up network drives, but there are ways to make it work. Upside is Crashplan is dirt cheap, especially considering the no-we-really-do-mean-unlimited data storage.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

It's not that bad. Amazon's is worse. Crashplan also doesn't really want you backing up network drives, but there are ways to make it work. Upside is Crashplan is dirt cheap, especially considering the no-we-really-do-mean-unlimited data storage.

How finicky is backing up network drives with Crashplan? Also, if you can make back ups as infrequently as necessary, is there any practical limit on the amount you can back up? Like if I only care about making a cloud back up once or twice a year and can have the drive sitting idle except for that back up process as long as necessary, can I actually make effective use of that unlimited storage?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Dunno about network drives - as long as you present it as a physical path it shouldn't be an issue*.

I've got a terabyte or two backed up, so if there's a limit I'm not aware. Only thing is they changed their TOS a while back to where if a machine doesn't check in within 6 months they threaten to remove it from storage, but I've got machines that haven't checked in in at least 5 years and are still backed up so I think that's more a CYA thing on their end. They also store deleted/no-longer-extant files so things don't have to be present to remain stored on their end.

*The secret to using Crashplan is to setup a Linux VM and use their Linux client for unthrottled uploads & downloads and no fuckery with network drives since you can just mount things wherever.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 6, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sheep posted:

Dunno about network drives - as long as you present it as a physical path it shouldn't be an issue*.

I've got a terabyte or two backed up, so if there's a limit I'm not aware. Only thing is they changed their TOS a while back to where if a machine doesn't check in within 6 months they threaten to remove it from storage, but I've got machines that haven't checked in in at least 5 years and are still backed up so I think that's more a CYA thing on their end. They also store deleted/no-longer-extant files so things don't have to be present to remain stored on their end.

*The secret to using Crashplan is to setup a Linux VM and use their Linux client for unthrottled uploads & downloads and no fuckery with network drives since you can just mount things wherever.

Thank you, that is good info, and using a Linux VM is a ridiculously good and simple solution.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

How finicky is backing up network drives with Crashplan? Also, if you can make back ups as infrequently as necessary, is there any practical limit on the amount you can back up? Like if I only care about making a cloud back up once or twice a year and can have the drive sitting idle except for that back up process as long as necessary, can I actually make effective use of that unlimited storage?

As Sheep noted, there are ways to make network drives work with Crashplan, it just takes slightly more effort than simply click butan like for normal local drives. You can set backup intervals, though I never checked to see just how infrequent you can make them. When Crashplan says unlimited they mean it--many people in this thread have multiple TB of data stored, and no one has ever gotten any sort of nastygram about having too much backed up. They will send you an email saying they haven't had contact from your system in X days as a reminder that you should update your stuff, but that's it. The only practical limit is that (at least under Windows) the upload/download speeds are often not particularly amazing, (I usually cap around 40-50Mbps despite having a 150/150 connection), so it may take a while to complete the initial seed.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Sheep posted:

Can you elaborate on this part? I've got quite a bit uploaded to Crashplan, but it's getting increasingly harder to make progress, and I suspect their crappy Java client is to blame.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Skandranon posted:

Can you elaborate on this part? I've got quite a bit uploaded to Crashplan, but it's getting increasingly harder to make progress, and I suspect their crappy Java client is to blame.

The Windows client arbitrarily throttles upload/download speeds to ridiculously low rates. The Linux client does not have these restrictions for whatever reason.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Plex doesn't use the hardware transcoding on the Synology. Many people use a separate PC for Plex transcoding or live with the odd file that is too big to reliably stream.
As a file server, or Sonarr/BT/Usenet client etc its got plenty of power for home use.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does Crashplan have a client for FreeNAS?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Does Crashplan have a client for FreeNAS?

Yes/no. Crashplan themselves are pretty anti-NAS, either intentionally or through studied neglect, and does not provide a NAS-supporting client. FreeNAS does have a Crashplan plug-in, but getting it to work takes some effort, mostly due to Code42 (the guys who make Crashplan) repeatedly breaking poo poo with various updates (which get pushed automatically and you can't opt out of! Thanks, guys!). Assuming you intend to administrate Crashplan from a Windows machine, this guy managed to figure out how to get the most recent build working:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/crashplan-v4-8-not-updating-working.46548/page-2#post-325445

I can verify that it does, in fact, work. Or at least it did when I punched it through two weeks ago.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been running Crashplan on my HTPC for a few years to backup my NAS. I upgraded my HTPC recently and reinstalled the OS & Crashplan. My % backed was fine for a few days after that, but then dropped all of a sudden from 98% to like 3% :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Crashplan client is kind of poo poo, but after using it for years and backing up terabytes of stuff and doing multiple restores, I've never had a problem with the actual backing/restoring portion of it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Spideroak provides a client for n*x systems, it's in net/spideroak on FreeBSD and should be available for any Linux distro.
That said, getting unlimited storage on SpiderOak can be difficult as they only offer it for $125/year every once in a while on World Backup Day.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
I run crashplan headless on arch--the only time I have a problem is when I get emails that they haven't been able to contact the client for a day, etc. This happens when they update the required client version but the update fails. my fault for using arch, I know The package is usually updated in AUR after a day or so, and then it's usually painless to fix.

One time it didn't recognize that it had already backed up a TB, and so it re-uploaded it. Other than that, it's worked well for me. Never restored though...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I have CrashPlan on my FreeNAS. It's a massive pain, but works. I've got 2.60TB uploaded to them, no complaints from them. Just complaints from me about the client. Every update changes some little thing that requires reconfiguring the client or server.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've found that running it in a Docker container seems to make it more reliable. Only thing I have to do is right after it starts, I need to connect to it immediately before it runs out of RAM and use the client console to raise the limit.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I was under the impression that you ran FreeBSD/FreeNAS, in which case they're called jails not docker containers and are a form of OS-level virtualization as opposed to hardware virtualization, invented primarily to limit what root can breakdo. Docker is to containers what Kleenex is to tissues - and jails date back to before the 2000s. More importantly, docker containers weren't invented with security in mind, security was an afterthought.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Running FreeNAS doesn't preclude the use of Docker. It could be run on a different system, or in a VM, or he could be using the FreeNAS 10 beta, which has Docker support directly in the UI.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FWIW, I run crashplan in my Ubuntu Server file server machine and pretty much never have to touch it. Just info for anyone considering using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
what's the advantage of using docker instead of plugins & jails for freenas?

I mean, i sort of understand that they're easier and closer "one step" for provisioning & configuration but other than that not really familiar with any other benefits.