Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
especially when it stifles a meta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Ace in the Hole + Crime Lord. Googled and think I know but want to make sure I know for sure:

You don't need to have a yellow character in play to use Ace in the Hole on Crime Lord but you do need the 5 resources if you roll the special.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Stoko trade report: 10/10, A++++, haunted seller, would trade again.

fnordcircle posted:

Ace in the Hole + Crime Lord. Googled and think I know but want to make sure I know for sure:

You don't need to have a yellow character in play to use Ace in the Hole on Crime Lord but you do need the 5 resources if you roll the special.

Looks right to me.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 31, 2016

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

Deviant posted:

:3:

Thanks buddy. It looks like your package should be here today too.

I opened up another box last week, and it was probably the best/most productive one I've seen. I pulled Vader, Luke, Han, Phasma, Thermal Detonator, Commanding Presence, and at least one copy of every other rare I didn't have. The only legendaries I pulled that I already had were Vader and Luke, which I'd only had one each of. After a couple trades, the only cards I'm missing from a full 1x set are "Local Garrison" and "Ace in the Hole", which are both uncommons.

I'm going to a local event tonight hoping to trade off a bunch of my stock for whatever's missing from my 2x playset. I'll probably also play a round or two with my far too expensive eVader/Raider and my cheap-rear end eVeers/eJango decks. I'd like to set up a nice fun control or mill deck, but damned if wrecking opponents on turn two isn't satisfying.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, how OP is Veers/Jango? Seems like it's the current deck to beat.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Finster Dexter posted:

I've been trying to ignore the buzz about the hot decks since we're all playing with a limited card pool in my group right now and we want to experiment on our own. That said, I did order a second Veers who is coming today and I did plan on making an eVeers/eJango deck independently of any "netdecking" (I hate that word). I want two Jetpacks for the deck but I don't have them.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a cheap deck because it doesn't rely on any $30+ characters like Vader, Luke, Han, etc. I bought the Veers for $2.50 and I plan on seeing if it's the deck that AT-ST finally fits in.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

It's a big popular deck right now for two major reasons; it does a lot of damage before your opponent can set up defenses and it doesn't need any legendaries to be competitive.
Damage wise, it's similar to eHan/eRey or eVader/Raider, but the fact that it costs a lot less to build makes it a good deck for more casual players.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Net decking is essential if you plan on playing tournaments, not so you can play the popular decks, but so you can know what to expect and how to beat it. This game has a wide enough design space that I think the meta will be pretty wide and healthy, but you should still know what to expect.

If you're playing casually then yeah, ignore the tournament scene and enjoy building your own meta with your group.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I plan on seeing if it's the deck that AT-ST finally fits in.

Probably not. AT-ST is simply too expensive for a deck like that. It'd take you a few turns to get up to the production level to throw down a 6 resource support, and by that time the game will either be over, or your opponent will be controlling your hand/resources pretty hardcore. The best you can hope for to get your AT-ST out is for both you and your opponent to be playing burst damage and getting really lovely rolls.

The best use case I've found for AT-ST is in a eFinn/Poe deck, only cause it's fun to discard it and focus to the 6 5 dmg side.

stoko fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 3, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Net decking is essential if you plan on playing tournaments, not so you can play the popular decks, but so you can know what to expect and how to beat it. This game has a wide enough design space that I think the meta will be pretty wide and healthy, but you should still know what to expect.

If you're playing casually then yeah, ignore the tournament scene and enjoy building your own meta with your group.

Oh, I wasn't saying I hated the concept of netdecking. I like it for exactly the reasons you described. I just hate the negative connotations of netdecking, and also nobody around here has the card pool to do it without spending exorbitant amouts on eBay.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm trying to pull together a little list based on what I have from 12 boosters for a Thursday night event.

I have both starters, Rebel Trooper, Admiral Ackbar, General Grievous, Diplomatic Immunity, Thermal Detonator, Flamethrower, Gaffi Stick, 2x Scout, and Force Training, Infantry Grenades and Holdout Blaster.

The deck idea I'm kicking around is either Grievous+eKylo or Grievous+Kylo+FO Stormtrooper. I think this gets me the most dice out on the field. Ackbar is great too with eRey and Rebel Trooper, but I find that I don't have enough legal stuff to add as attachments to get enough damage out there.

Is Kylo Ren ever worth not running elite? Am I better off with ekylo+grievous or Grievous+Kylo+Stormtrooper?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone have success or fun with eKylo/Darth?

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

It's fun to throw down a bunch of blue upgrades, but I'd rather go Vader/Trooper/Trooper. Gives you a bit more health to play with, and gets you access to various red abilities and upgrades, while still keeping Vader in there.

I've played eKylo/Vader a few times, and I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to use it effectively. I feel like Kylo kind of needs support from non-blue to be useful, and honestly I still don't think he's really all that good. His special is very temperamental (which I like a lot from a lore perspective), and generally can't be counted on for reliable damage. I think a straight up "Deal 1 damage to target character" special would be more welcome than his look at a card and deal that much damage shtick.
I suppose it might subconsciously push someone into holding onto cheap cards longer than they should, but if they're paying attention to their goal instead of trying to mitigate Kylo, they're probably just going to take the hits and keep going.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

stoko posted:

I'm going to a local event tonight hoping to trade off a bunch of my stock for whatever's missing from my 2x playset. I'll probably also play a round or two with my far too expensive eVader/Raider and my cheap-rear end eVeers/eJango decks. I'd like to set up a nice fun control or mill deck, but damned if wrecking opponents on turn two isn't satisfying.

I've been working on using Padme and my conclusion is that control might be good, but dedicated mill currently isn't. Right now I'm on EPadme/Trooper/Padawan to let me play all the colors and have no mill other than Padme, just control elements. So I have a ton of stall and 2x Launch Bay 1x Falcon (though that could be one too many expensive supports since if Kylo is around you don't want one stuck in your hand).

It's been far better than my experiments in dedicated mill; the problem with mill is that it's generally more expensive than damage, and it takes way more to kill the opponent. It's a good add-in to a control deck, though, since if you're not super focused on damage it's not going to be particularly feasible to kill your opponent that way, and discard is a good fit with it and a good control method in general.

It might be that you don't actually need mill at all, of course, but a yellow character is your best choice to be your lynchpin defender because Second Chance and Cunning are both great, and I don't think there's a better yellow hero than Padme.

In general though I expect it'll be a while longer before we start seeing really good control decks even if they potentially exist, because by definition a deck like that relies a lot on meta knowledge both to build and to play, and the game is so new it's hard to sort out. I do think three-color Padme might be a reasonable choice, but it feels like Jango decks are some of the better ones against it because his activation trigger is so powerful. You can play around it to a certain extent with supports since activating one doesn't trigger him, but that obviously takes a little while to set up.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Bottom Liner posted:

I have it put together and it's fun insofar as blue villain has some cool stuff but they really do not get along in terms of their abilities: if you use Vader to force them to discard, they can ditch whatever thing is going to wreck them if you activate Kylo. Kind of a flavor win IMO - for all Kylo idolizes Vader one suspects Vader would not be a huge fan.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Deviant posted:

Package received. Everything looks great. Similar feedback as above; haunted et al.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone give me a good Luke list, no holds barred. Gonna print some cards out.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone give me a good Luke list, no holds barred. Gonna print some cards out.
The only one I've seen do any good was an eLuke/Ackbar list that used Focus results to get max damage. I've faced two thus far but didn't get the list composition either time. I imagine just going through cardgamedb or swdestinydb you can find one and adapt it to your style.
I tried eRey/Luke a couple games and though it was fun, it just doesn't have the pop that eLuke can give.

Also, my store league started up a couple of days ago and the eJango/eVeers went 5-0. Looked deadly against everything it faced. I think it might be the thing to beat as it just pours out damage crazy fast. It even beat eVader/Raider solidly. As for me, I brought eJango/eJabba mill-style and went 4-1. Never got to face eJango/eVeers and not sure how I could beat it with my list.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

KO Derf posted:

The only one I've seen do any good was an eLuke/Ackbar list that used Focus results to get max damage. I've faced two thus far but didn't get the list composition either time. I imagine just going through cardgamedb or swdestinydb you can find one and adapt it to your style.
I tried eRey/Luke a couple games and though it was fun, it just doesn't have the pop that eLuke can give.

Also, my store league started up a couple of days ago and the eJango/eVeers went 5-0. Looked deadly against everything it faced. I think it might be the thing to beat as it just pours out damage crazy fast. It even beat eVader/Raider solidly. As for me, I brought eJango/eJabba mill-style and went 4-1. Never got to face eJango/eVeers and not sure how I could beat it with my list.

It's a super dangerous list for sure. Only time's going to tell if it's as good as it seems now, or if it's more a case of being the easiest deck to excel with when people are still really new. It certainly could prove to just be above the curve, but it also is kind of a classic "everyone is new" deck: it is relatively forgiving to play, and very unforgiving to play against, because if you don't manage Jango's burst well, it will absolutely destroy you.

That said, my experience is that it's also a deck that looks unbeatable in some games, but totally beatable in others. The variance on the Jango rolls is very important - if you get high damage rolls on his free activation, there are very few ways to interact with you meaningfully. But if you get a bad roll and have to fix it, or just a medium roll that can't get a big hit off, it's night and day, and medium to bad rolls are not that uncommon.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there any reason you can't have, say, two of Luke's Lightsabers on the field? Is that what the diamond by the title mean? With Ackbar I imagine you would want to try and get three lightsabers onto Luke. That's probably too slow though, maybe. Tempo and whatnot was never my strong suit.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That little diamond is the unique symbol, which means you can only have 1 of them in play a time (this applies to each player). Luke's Lightsaber is unique, so you can only have 1 in play at a time and your opponent can only have 1 in play at a time.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
http://swdestinydb.com/deck/view/136061

That's a first draft of a Luke/Ackbar deck I've dreamt up, haven't tried it yet as I'm missing Ackbar but it can have some explosive turns and with Ackbar you can slow roll them and possibly use Luke twice.

On Veers/Jango. It can totally god roll you and blow you out, otherwise you need some mass dice control to limit it's damage. I think its why Dodge is probably a 1 of in every deck, it is insanely expensive at 2 but the ability to just negate their turn can't be overestimated. Also people rate Electroshock as a great card, if you play Dodge and remove 2 ranged damage dice you've done the same raw work as 2 Electroshocks (Electroshock is of course more versatile).

That said occasionally DVDJ will roll all 2 ranged damage with Veers then Jango into another set of ranged damage but all you can do is remove some Veers damage and then hope the Jango roll isn't too godly.

Also mulling over this, just for Poe tossing Thermal Detonators at fools, my issue is, Poes single dice is too easily removed.
http://swdestinydb.com/deck/view/136067

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

ShowTime posted:

That little diamond is the unique symbol, which means you can only have 1 of them in play a time (this applies to each player). Luke's Lightsaber is unique, so you can only have 1 in play at a time and your opponent can only have 1 in play at a time.

In addition, you can't have more than two upgrades on a character, so a tri-saber-Luke wouldn't be an option in any case.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I thought it was three upgrades.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's definitely three.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

I thought it was three upgrades.

Well poo poo, I apparently read that all wrong. That probably would have changed quite a few decks that I made.

stoko fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 5, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I like 3 upgrades. I like the idea that a First Order Stormtrooper is holding a rifle in both hands, hackey-sacking an infantry grenade towards the enemy, and firing off the holdout blaster with their teeth.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

canyoneer posted:

I like 3 upgrades. I like the idea that a First Order Stormtrooper is holding a rifle in both hands, hackey-sacking an infantry grenade towards the enemy, and firing off the holdout blaster with their teeth.

Yeah, I feel like kind of a dumbass about that. Three upgrades would have made Holocrons a lot more effective for me :P

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

HidaO-Win posted:

Poes single dice is too easily removed.
http://swdestinydb.com/deck/view/136067
I think you've run into an issue I've seen a few times. Your costs are too high for only running a single Poe die. If you miss your 1/6th chance, you will have difficulty paying for things.
You could add 2 Cunning to give you 2 more chances to feax-Poe, plus two more focuses. Or you can cheapen your support and weapons and treat Poe like a bonus if it hits.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

KO Derf posted:

I think you've run into an issue I've seen a few times. Your costs are too high for only running a single Poe die. If you miss your 1/6th chance, you will have difficulty paying for things.
You could add 2 Cunning to give you 2 more chances to feax-Poe, plus two more focuses. Or you can cheapen your support and weapons and treat Poe like a bonus if it hits.

This is exactly what I learned when I played my Poe deck. I cut down the amount of expensive vehicles I was running because of it. I still run 2x Thermal Detonators, because lets face it, Poe dropping a Thermal Detonator from the hand is basically the best thing in the game right now. It's so nasty and has resulted in countless wins for me. But I won't run more than 1 Launch Bay or Black One until I figure out how to run ePoe and stay in yellow/red. I don't think needing to play Finn is as important anymore. AT-ST is great, but I think running ePoe is better than having it.

Thermal Detonator is insane and i'm not surprised its picking up in value.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So could you resolve the +3 ranged side of the IQA-11 Blaster Rifle with Poe's ability as long as someone has a ranged damage side showing?

EDIT: I just noticed in the rulebook from the FFG page:

• Characters with the same title but a different subtitle
are still considered to be the same character for
determining uniqueness.

Example: A player cannot use Darth Vader, Sith Lord and
Darth Vader, Dark Apprentice on the same team.

In case anyone wasn't convinced that they would reprint characters with new abilities.

I doubt anyone here thought that.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 6, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I don't believe you'd be able to using Poe's ability. It says to discard and resolve, if able. Some cards work differently. Mind Throw, for example, works because it says to remove and deal damage equal to value showing. Poe is trying to resolve a die, which works differently.

Edit: I kind of read your post wrong. In that instance I think you would be able to, as long as you had a normal ranged dice showing. Because, again, you are resolving the dice just like you'd normally resolve dice.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I love the flavor of this card :allears:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It fits because gently caress that card. It can be absolutely devastating when timed right. I had someone remove a focus 3 and damage 3 in a game last week. Removing a focus 3 has to be one of the best hits with that card.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It does indeed make the hate flow through you

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

KO Derf posted:

Yeah definitely slotting in Cunning, reckon I'll cut a Black One for it and maybe a Launch Bay. I'm hoping the Hired Guns help with resource generation.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

HidaO-Win posted:

Yeah definitely slotting in Cunning, reckon I'll cut a Black One for it and maybe a Launch Bay. I'm hoping the Hired Guns help with resource generation.

Play The Odds is another possibility, if you want to try it out. From my experience it wasn't reliable enough, but it does have the secondary effect of just being another way to reroll yellow dice. I found myself using it more as just a reroll effect and less of a resource generation effect.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I love the flavor of this card :allears:

I put together a deck just so I could use that card on people.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
Has anyone heard anything else about restock? This game looks soooo fun but all my local game stores don't have any events because they can't get anything in. I'm just obsessively researching it. I saw some folks mentioning mid Jan in this thread and I put in a preorder at Miniature Market but I'm losing my poo poo a little.

fnordcircle posted:

Other than etsy any places coming out with tournament trays or just general big-rear end collection sorting stuff yet? Cause keeping this all organized is above my pay grade.

I have a buddy who is laser cutting some pretty good tournament trays and dice boxes for $25 or so shipped and he's selling them in the private Destiny trading Facebook group. Is anyone still interested? I can get some contact info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Well, you're gonna have to clench your buttcheecks a bit more because there really isn't going to be any stock for another week or two.