Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat this game is fun, I took like 6 countries without even declaring war, just threatening to, and everybody capitulated. But now it's 42 and Germany is about to declare war on me and they outnumber me like 3 to 1. I'm getting better at this, although I have no idea how to properly stem the tide of rifle upgrades when you move up that infantry tech tree. I just keep making 15 factory production lines and I still have deficits in the hundred thousands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna make a nuke and use it though ftw.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playing it fairly straightforward though still. Like I'm just communist Russia and selecting all the historically accurate treaty options with Germany, pushing into the baltics and Poland and kinda defusing the Japanese front. After this I wanna try something stupid like full communist America that ignores international conflict completely and takes over South America

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Playing it fairly straightforward though still. Like I'm just communist Russia and selecting all the historically accurate treaty options with Germany, pushing into the baltics and Poland and kinda defusing the Japanese front. After this I wanna try something stupid like full communist America that ignores international conflict completely and takes over South America

The American Commune Hemisphere sounds like a good time. might steal your idea

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

drat this game is fun, I took like 6 countries without even declaring war, just threatening to, and everybody capitulated. But now it's 42 and Germany is about to declare war on me and they outnumber me like 3 to 1. I'm getting better at this, although I have no idea how to properly stem the tide of rifle upgrades when you move up that infantry tech tree. I just keep making 15 factory production lines and I still have deficits in the hundred thousands

Don't worry about it. When you research a new rifle tier, those old rifles don't go away. Your troops will have slightly outdated stuff but it's better than not having anything. You can even set it so only your elite battalions use them, since the higher tiers are more expensive to produce

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Outdated rifles aren't so bad anyway. I think they have better piercing (aka doing more damage to more divisions at once) than later weapons.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a way to set it out so only new divisions get outfitted? Would that be the Upgrade priority?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Is there a way to set it out so only new divisions get outfitted? Would that be the Upgrade priority?

Yeah, it will still reequip old divisions with any excess production.

You can also set elite div templates (chevrons pointing up) that get new stuff first and reserve divs (chevron down) that get it last. So you can have lovely garrison divisions using the hand me down stuff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ty for the tips, I'll have to mess with that next time I play.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

lol the kaiserreich mod is dumb

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HoI4 doesn't translate stuff like the 4-way second american civil war well.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

To be fair a lot of the mod feels like its made to still work in Darkest Hour.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i think the idea is to port all the dh stuff and work from there, but idk they're modders and probably very retarded

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Evil Eagle posted:

lol the kaiserreich mod is dumb

thats cause it's supposed to be darkest hour and hoi4 isnt as good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eagle play the DH version. It's a magnificent mod in its natural state.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Eagle play the DH version.

Still enjoying it even though it's unfinished in this version. It's making the friend that I'm playing with really annoyed though because the entire world declared war on us (UK/French Commune) when the only aggressive act either of us did was send 2 volunteers to the us red faction. Germany's units seemed to be flat out better than ours but we finally took out their mainland after we took the time to prepare despite endless harassment from Canada and Ukraine.

The worst thing that happened was Germany declaring war on us 2 seconds before I took Denver with my 2 volunteers to remove the original US from the game and then the AI over there doing absolutely nothing for a whole year. It was so close.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 5, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Agean90 posted:

To be fair a lot of the mod feels like its made to still work in Darkest Hour.
HoI4's message system also makes it very hard to keep up with how the world develops which is half of the appeal of Kaiserreich, at least to me.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Is there a HoI4 mod that makes the invasion pop-up more noticeable? It's really to miss if you're focusing on one front especially when you have a big country.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Is there a HoI4 mod that makes the invasion pop-up more noticeable? It's really to miss if you're focusing on one front especially when you have a big country.

I got screwed by this in my current Soviet run just being so focused on defending my holdings in Eastern Europe and panning over east a few months in to see to my horror that Japan had taken over all of east asian land :gonk:

This run went south but I will definitely last to the end date and I wanna see how the game ends. Its cool that I entered another war while at war with germany, and so many people swapped factions and allegiances and chose sides in the secondary conflict that it said "XXX war was rolled into the German-Soviet Conflict"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I did a variation of this by going Fascist. I got as far south as Peru before the South American countries joined the Allies so I needed to join the Axis to even the odds. I'll post photos later once I conquer the whole of the western hemisphere.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've done nothing but mapgame this year. 35 hours in 4 days.

I want to get in to CKII. I have the base game but zero dlc. Which are the important ones that I should grab on the next sale? Is it worth playing without them?

Plutonis posted:

Eagle play the DH version. It's a magnificent mod in its natural state.

I'm actually really enjoying the mod. A friend hotjoined our session today as communist America and we ended both of our defensive world wars. Canadian occupation of the Isle of Man was a real thorn in my side for the entire war so it felt great to take all of Canada away from them. Now I have a piece of the Union of Britain on every continent. Asia is a real mess right now so we're probably going to jump in to that next session.

I will pick up DH soon for sure, it's only ten bucks.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

Which are the important ones that I should grab on the next sale? Is it worth playing without them?

I would argue as a bare minimum Way of Life is all you need. It lets you pick traits about your ruler and gives you special events you can choose (eg. being a Seducer or a country management focus).

Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Old Gods, Sons of Abraham, Rajas of India give you some extra options for playable countries/dynasties (SoI, SoA & RoI let you play a bunch of countries cumulatively). I don't remember if LoR & ToG do specifically but they're still good to have.

The Reaper's Due is pretty good but I have only watched streams of it so I can't comment on what is notable other than "Black Death + New Death Types" that were added.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 6, 2017

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The real answer is all of them, including portrait, music and unit packs as well as the ebooks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One thing I really hate is that I noticed that civil wars in HoI4 just straight up delete troops and factories. I fought a civil war as Ireland to try and swap fascist faster, but it deleted all my factories from the focuses so I went from having 6 factories and a few dockyards to having 2 factories and no dockyards. Also, the extra building slots the focus give disappeared too, along with 90% of my troops

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Good. Civil wars should be bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I realized that when Eagle lost as communist Spain and I've been using coups to gently caress up my neighbors' infrastructure. It's pretty strong

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Maps have started to appear when I close my eyes. I'm obsessed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had a little moment today because I've been so used to playing map games for so long and just thinking about them as little math sims and stuff, but i looked at the casualty number for my war with Germany and saw the numbers crossing 2 million total and I felt bad.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Maps have started to appear when I close my eyes. I'm obsessed.

I once had a dream where i was playing a map game and i would automatically lose every battle, worst nightmare ever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't know how I did it but i garrisoned for 2 years and eventually the German Reich had been so thoroughly dismantled by Western Europe that I was able to recover my forces and liberate Poland. Now I have to wait for America and UK to finish dismantling Japan so they capitulate and this war can end. This run was like a recreation of history 1:1 except we are beating Japan without nuclear weaponry

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My friends told me that nukes are worthless. I haven't bothered using them yet so I don't know if it's true.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The post war peace conference slows the game to a complete crawl

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

My friends told me that nukes are worthless. I haven't bothered using them yet so I don't know if it's true.

Iirc before they patched it only hosed up infrastructure and unit organization and stuff in a province but now it reduces a lot of manpower and equipment?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

The post war peace conference slows the game to a complete crawl

It pauses the game lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

It pauses the game lol

I just meant every time the AI had to think about what it wanted to claim the game froze for like 15 seconds.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I ended up taking over Japan and installing a poo poo load of communist puppet governments all over the world and it was really fun to look at all the weird results and claims in Europe and Asia but like. What do I do now? It's only 1944 but I doubt anyone is actually gonna start a war again. I made sure to liberate communist Spain just to give props to Eagle.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also idk how common this is but I thought it was funny that after the war ended East and West germany were formed but theres also just regular Germany still in existence in parts of Austria. The last bastion of fascism in a world gone mad

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Also idk how common this is but I thought it was funny that after the war ended East and West germany were formed but theres also just regular Germany still in existence in parts of Austria. The last bastion of fascism in a world gone mad

In a ussr game i played I puppeted germany but the allies grabbed some chunks and made west germany out of it lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I ended up taking over Japan and installing a poo poo load of communist puppet governments all over the world and it was really fun to look at all the weird results and claims in Europe and Asia but like. What do I do now? It's only 1944 but I doubt anyone is actually gonna start a war again. I made sure to liberate communist Spain just to give props to Eagle.

Hoi4 after ww2 is pointless. You start over is what you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Or you can import your save into the NWO cold war Vicky 2 mod