Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

More Zip Tie Drags info :getin:

Anyone else actually going to this? I know I spotted at least one goon car in some of the early FB posting :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

eighty-four merc posted:

Finally got a little snow to find out if I made a horrible mistake putting oversized light truck tires on this thing.

Turns out I made the right decision.
:perfect:

eighty-four merc posted:

You can get a 4x4 IDI for a grand if you're patient.
Been kind of thinking of selling the courier and picking something like this up for a tow/beater rig. Maybe even pull the bed off and make it a ghetto ramp truck

CornHolio posted:

So there's a junkyard about 45 minutes away that has a set of four Goodyear Wrangler tires for $120. Tread looks alright, date code is 02/13. Good deal or pass? I'm looking for cheap tires for my truck, which has four different brand tires in two sizes on it right now, all of which are in awful shape. I don't really need tires until spring, but if these are a good deal I'll get them. Thoughts?
Put a set of those on the girlfriends Tacoma 3-4 months ago. They're tires...road noise isn't bad and they seem to be wearing decently. $120 for tires is a deal as long as they're not dry rotted or unevenly worn.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

cursedshitbox posted:

and this is why I pay through the nose for insurance. hard, hard, hard lessons like this learned over the years. Your insurance company should be doing the fighting, not you. If *you're* doing their job, why did you hire them to begin with?

Yeah, all I care about with my insurance company is if I get paid. I used to have firemans fund before they exited CA and they were loving great. They paid fast and they paid a lot. Apparently they are 100% lovely to their non-insured by them parties. That was never a factor to me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ I should know never to go shopping when hungry. Went to the store at lunch to pick up a couple small things, and indeed, I picked up said small things, but a 1kg (2.5lb) bag of jumbo sour soothers made its way into my shopping basket as well

:smith:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Scored a part-time gig at a friend's family's liquor store :woop: Add that to cancelling the superfluous DirecTV subscription and I'm nearly in the black every month.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

More Zip Tie Drags info :getin:

Anyone else actually going to this? I know I spotted at least one goon car in some of the early FB posting :v:

I'd sort of like to go, but I'm not going to take a Friday off work for it, and on that Saturday I have a meeting in Sun Lakes from 10-12, so it's very unlikely that I'll go down at all. The Focus wouldn't be much fun to drag with (especially with these old tires on it - I can now break them loose easily at any point in 2nd gear even rolling into the throttle) so I'd just be spectating anyway.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

eighty-four merc posted:

You can get a 4x4 IDI for a grand if you're patient.

hate to break it to you, but those days are gone unless you want something that was dragged out of a field.

like mine

nm posted:

Yeah, all I care about with my insurance company is if I get paid. I used to have firemans fund before they exited CA and they were loving great. They paid fast and they paid a lot. Apparently they are 100% lovely to their non-insured by them parties. That was never a factor to me.

we're with state farm, they've been nothing but fantastic to us.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

cursedshitbox posted:

we're with state farm, they've been nothing but fantastic to us.

State Farm has been pretty good with me also. My last two collisions (neither at fault) the agent was very helpful and was more than ready to file the claim and go after the other companies if they gave me a rough time, and with the last one even made a call to the other companies rep to let them know if they didn't stop being shitheads that I was going to go through State Farm for the claim and they'd be going after the biggest settlement they could get. After that call the other company stopped being dicks and settled.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What's a reasonable price to buy an original owner 2001 S2000 w/ 78k miles? Silver/black. Looking to flip, so a price that would allow me to keep it for a couple months and sell it for a few grand profit in the Spring.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's happening!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-sells-craftsman-brand-to-stanley-black-decker-1483623215

I just lost a bet, I figured they would sell the brand off for less.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

hate to break it to you, but those days are gone unless you want something that was dragged out of a field.

Gas motors: I won't touch if they've been sitting

Diesel motors: I generally have far better results.

the spyder posted:

It's happening!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-sells-craftsman-brand-to-stanley-black-decker-1483623215

This is a sure sign that Sears is utterly hosed. Even the purchase cost won't cover their current losses. Ayn Rand strikes again!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
why are you so fixated on repeating that over and over

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

It's happening!

I guess that's the end goal of the weird "warring factions" approach: reducing the overlap between departments makes it way easier to drop one out as a separate business unit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

I'd sort of like to go, but I'm not going to take a Friday off work for it, and on that Saturday I have a meeting in Sun Lakes from 10-12, so it's very unlikely that I'll go down at all. The Focus wouldn't be much fun to drag with (especially with these old tires on it - I can now break them loose easily at any point in 2nd gear even rolling into the throttle) so I'd just be spectating anyway.

I'm heading down on Friday but I don't think there's 'that' much going on that day. Track prep and the higher altitude might help you keep some traction down there :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Gas motors: I won't touch if they've been sitting

Diesel motors: I generally have far better results.

my modis for gas engines: pull everything, reseal, new filters and fuel pump. should be fine!
diesel? hot batteries, fresh filters. rock on.

my pile was offroad only for 10+ years of its life, hence its falling apart condition.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

Adiabatic posted:

I really don't mean anything by this, but:

whenever I read the chat thread Im either on my phone with no avatars or im on my work computer with no avatars per the settings.

because of this i dont usually pay attention to the name of the poster.

whenever im like "hey this sounds like something CommieGIR woulf say" i scroll up and 100% of the time it's CommieGIR

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

my modis for gas engines: pull everything, reseal, new filters and fuel pump. should be fine!
diesel? hot batteries, fresh filters. rock on.

my pile was offroad only for 10+ years of its life, hence its falling apart condition.

Mine was a CN rail yard truck. it's probably got a million hours on it, but i DGAF. it still scoots and does 22mpg

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Why do you guys talk about beer and cooking over and over? I wasn't aware I had to explain myself.

I'm ADHD and have a really short memory.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sears is one of those corporate failures that I'm completely fascinated by like British Leyland. There were numerous opportunities to save it and I can't wait for the complete post mortem once the company finally crooks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Why do you guys talk about beer and cooking over and over? I wasn't aware I had to explain myself.

your adhd compels you to complain about "randism" every time someone mentions sears?

i guess shouldn't expect your posts not to be bad

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BraveUlysses posted:

your adhd compels you to complain about "randism" every time someone mentions sears?

Don't forget gym sperging.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CommieGIR posted:

Hey, we haven't had a "this is the general chat thread for discussing anything and everything, as long as it falls into these narrow categories..." derail in a while.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

eighty-four merc posted:

Finally got a little snow to find out if I made a horrible mistake putting oversized light truck tires on this thing.

Turns out I made the right decision.

Yeah quit the bitching and lets make this guy post videos.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Geoj posted:

Hey, we haven't had a "this is the general chat thread for discussing anything and everything, as long as it falls into these narrow categories..." derail in a while.

I'm a good poster and I think I should make fun of that other guy for being a bad poster (even though all posting is bad and should be mocked).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Jesus gently caress, if I annoy you that loving much put me on ignore and get off my case.

Its general chat, not "Only post things that BraveUlysses approves of"

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If it's any consolation CommieGir, I find it very interesting.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shitpoast bonanza below:

Nothing in IT is rewarding. I want out so bad and I'm not even 3 years into paying off my student loans that got me my IT degree. I can't name a job that I can get that'll pay me what I'm making now and what I'm making now is barely covering my bills.

Fake my own death? :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

If it's any consolation CommieGir, I find it very interesting.

I try to discuss interesting things. I really do.

scuz posted:

Shitpoast bonanza below:

Nothing in IT is rewarding. I want out so bad and I'm not even 3 years into paying off my student loans that got me my IT degree. I can't name a job that I can get that'll pay me what I'm making now and what I'm making now is barely covering my bills.

And its only getting worse right now for IT, unfortunately. I'm moving more and more into the programming fields because Admin/Operations/Datacenter stuff is slowly evaporating, programming is really going to be the big driver for IT for the next decade or so.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

Shitpoast bonanza below:

hey you could have gone to UTI and promised a 75k/yr job, only to graduate making $10 an hour with the same student debt lolllllllll.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed under general anesthetic at hospital and the upfront cost to me was £0 :britain:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

And its only getting worse right now for IT, unfortunately. I'm moving more and more into the programming fields because Admin/Operations/Datacenter stuff is slowly evaporating, programming is really going to be the big driver for IT for the next decade or so.

Programming's great because you inevitably get saddled with a bunch of morons who don't know how to do root cause analysis and have just voodooed their way to failure throughout the last two decades.

Then you do new stuff, so the "debugging by guessing" technique has a new target.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

hey you could have gone to UTI and promised a 75k/yr job, only to graduate making $10 an hour with the same student debt lolllllllll.

Or DeVry, or Phoenix, or any one of those other fucks that preys upon the Military guys.

Every time I hear one of the guys in my unit say he's going to school, I fully expect to hear its Phoenix or one of them. When we used to interview interns, we generally drilled the Phoenix/DeVry/etc. guys extra hard and they almost always flopped their tech interview.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Programming's great because you inevitably get saddled with a bunch of morons who don't know how to do root cause analysis and have just voodooed their way to failure throughout the last two decades.

Holy poo poo for truth. I've had to explain to multiple guys root cause analysis and how to do it. Do they not teach this in Comp Sci? (I didn't go to school for Comp Sci, I went for Math and Physics)

I shouldn't have to show college grads how to debug. I'm the newb, not them.

fridge corn posted:

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed under general anesthetic at hospital and the upfront cost to me was £0 :britain:

Military did mine, so it was $0 for me, but they also outsourced the job to a civilian dentist.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 5, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

cursedshitbox posted:

Urinary Tract Infection for $75k a year? Sign me up!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Then you do new stuff, so the "debugging by guessing" technique has a new target.
I don't know if this is a grass-is-greener argument but at least in programming I'll get to use some part of my creative side. I'm so bored and angry most of my days at the sysadmin desk because it's all so loving boring. My brain did not develop to "just get over it" so I just find ways to distract myself from work while it piles up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

One of my wisdom teeth politely shuffled over to fill a gap created by a molar I had removed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

I don't know if this is a grass-is-greener argument but at least in programming I'll get to use some part of my creative side. I'm so bored and angry most of my days at the sysadmin desk because it's all so loving boring. My brain did not develop to "just get over it" so I just find ways to distract myself from work while it piles up.

Java is making big bucks right now, plus people are drooling all over Data Science stuff like Hadoop and NoSQL systems.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Holy poo poo for truth. I've had to explain to multiple guys root cause analysis and how to do it. Do they not teach this in Comp Sci? (I didn't go to school for Comp Sci, I went for Math and Physics)

I shouldn't have to show college grads how to debug. I'm the newb, not them.

I am the first person to be hired in my company that is not a chemical engineer.

They have been writing software for 20 years.

Chemical engineers even ran their marketing department up until recently. You can imagine what the brochures were like.

Hiring people with qualifications for the work they are going to be done is apparently optional. I am criticized regularly for not knowing a masters' degree worth of ChemE but it is apparently unreasonable to expect someone to not write a 2000 line function or test changes to a shared library before committing it.

I've been working this job for two years. In the past, I've led teams, trained technically-worse teams than this, released a bunch of stuff. They are totally unwilling to change or admit there are problems, so I'm on my way out. It's just not worth it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 5, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yep. java pays 200k/yr here. but you'll pay 140 of that in rent. Python is in demand too.

I'm going the embedded route for reasons.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I am the first person to be hired in my company that is not a chemical engineer.

They have been writing software for 20 years.

Chemical engineers even ran their marketing department up until recently. You can imagine what the brochures were like.

Hiring people with qualifications for the work they are going to be done is apparently optional. I am criticized regularly for not knowing a masters' degree worth of ChemE but it is apparently unreasonable to expect someone to not write a 2000 line function or test changes to a shared library before committing it.

I'm looking for a way out. It ain't worth it.

I love placed that don't do QA/UAT and test driven development cycles.

cursedshitbox posted:

Yep. java pays 200k/yr here. but you'll pay 140 of that in rent. Python is in demand too.

I'm going the embedded route for reasons.

I love embedded dev. I like tiny microcontrollers.

I have a problem...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of programming I've been working on a kernel module that Does Stuff with virtual machines, and I just tried to access an address I read out of the VM without first converting guest virtual to guest physical, and guest physical to host virtual. My kernel did not appreciate it.

• Locked thread