Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

flyboi posted:

I won't be the least bit surprised if sister vis retains 2x800 hp and they only nerf the brimstone and maybe slow down the rolling mechanic. Probably reading too far into his words but I doubt hp of anything is going to be modified.

Edit: and like past updates I doubt there's a changelog so hurray to suffer more bullshit to remotely know what is "balanced" in Ed's brain.
[

Those bosses have twice the hp of the other bosses in that area. How could that be anything but a mistake? The follow up question is how in the world play testers didn't notice that but whatever we all know mods will fix all that crap in time regardless if niclas does. Rag man is still randomly tanky compared to other bosses I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ragman has the same amount of health as Monstro. It's a bit more than some other stage 1 bosses but those generally will have invincibility periods (Pin) or unavoidable spawns (The Haunt, Duke of Flies, Widow).

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Ariong posted:

Okay, I'll hold off on buying AB+ and try antibirth for now. i tried it, but it crashes when i start a game. I uninstalled Afterbirth by going into the properties > DLC menu and unchecking it. I also installed it to a folder on my desktop because there was no default destination and the website didn't say where to put it.

Are you running the game from the antibirth folder in steam/steamapps/common/BoI:Rebirth/Antibirth?

phourniner fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 5, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Ragman has the same amount of health as Monstro. It's a bit more than some other stage 1 bosses but those generally will have invincibility periods (Pin) or unavoidable spawns (The Haunt, Duke of Flies, Widow).

Monstro has a stupid easy pattern to make up for it, Rag Man spawns very spastic spiders and shoots homing bullets at you. He really should have less health, a base damage Isaac can't kill his head before spawns if he takes even a half second to start shooting it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I basically always kill the head even on base damage. You're generally shooting him anyway so you can just follow the head.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Dias posted:

Monstro has a stupid easy pattern to make up for it, Rag Man spawns very spastic spiders and shoots homing bullets at you. He really should have less health, a base damage Isaac can't kill his head before spawns if he takes even a half second to start shooting it.
The trick is that shooting his head damages both Rag Man and the as-yet-unspawned spider, so if you always just focus on the head as soon as he starts you'll normally get the spider within a couple of shots of death even if you're on base damage. I'd consider Rag Man easier than (say) Gurglings or Dingle, while still being an interesting fight unlike Monstro.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

The antibirth art team posted these today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/5m6rqw/i_know_what_would_have_made_the_final_boss_better/?st=ixkvfo6n&sh=055bb965

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Eating the Forget-Me-Now with Void is preeeeetty stupid, you guys.

It's also guaranteed - assuming I don't die of boredom first - that I can get Dad's Key so I can knock Mega Satan off Apollyon's to-do list. Doesn't matter that I'd have to leave Void behind, because all it can do right now is reset floors. Picking up Chaos early on from a shop is making things even sillier. Void's a pretty good item. Shame the character who comes with it is pointless.

E: Oh. Hey. Did you know that quitting out of the game and continuing later will make Void forget what it's eaten? Because I didn't! :mad:

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 5, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

pumpinglemma posted:

The trick is that shooting his head damages both Rag Man and the as-yet-unspawned spider, so if you always just focus on the head as soon as he starts you'll normally get the spider within a couple of shots of death even if you're on base damage. I'd consider Rag Man easier than (say) Gurglings or Dingle, while still being an interesting fight unlike Monstro.

I do that, and it's still annoying because he can spam head tosses and heal up. It's not hard, it's...why is this a basement fight? Why do I need to be THAT on point in the first fuckin' floor? That's the core of my complaints about this game's expansions, it's not that it's more DIFFICULT, it's more boring and I can't be bothered sometimes. Also if you're consistently killing the head before it spawns a spider on base Isaac damage you're a way better player than I am.

Also Dingle is braindead easy and there's no chance of random RNG loving you there.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Ariong posted:

Okay, I'll hold off on buying AB+ and try antibirth for now. i tried it, but it crashes when i start a game. I uninstalled Afterbirth by going into the properties > DLC menu and unchecking it. I also installed it to a folder on my desktop because there was no default destination and the website didn't say where to put it.

Install it to the rebirth directory. Default is C:program files/steam/steamapps/common/The Binding of Isaac Rebirth. If it still crashes on launch, try running as administrator. If it still crashes, copy the 'resources' folder into the antibirth folder (this was the problem I had, someone in this thread said to try and that fixed it.)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

phourniner posted:

Are you running the game from the antibirth folder in steam/steamapps/common/BoI:Rebirth/Antibirth?

I just installed the files to a folder on my desktop because the website and installer didn't say where to put them. I tried installing it there, but when I try to run it from there, it crashes on startup.

kemikalkadet posted:

Install it to the rebirth directory. Default is C:program files/steam/steamapps/common/The Binding of Isaac Rebirth. If it still crashes on launch, try running as administrator. If it still crashes, copy the 'resources' folder into the antibirth folder (this was the problem I had, someone in this thread said to try and that fixed it.)

The "resources" folder from the common/BoI: Rebirth folder?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Ariong posted:

The "resources" folder from the common/BoI: Rebirth folder?

Yeah, only try this if the game still crashes after you install it in the right place. For most people the mod just works but for some it crashes with non-obvious solutions.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

I do that, and it's still annoying because he can spam head tosses and heal up. It's not hard, it's...why is this a basement fight? Why do I need to be THAT on point in the first fuckin' floor? That's the core of my complaints about this game's expansions, it's not that it's more DIFFICULT, it's more boring and I can't be bothered sometimes. Also if you're consistently killing the head before it spawns a spider on base Isaac damage you're a way better player than I am.

Also Dingle is braindead easy and there's no chance of random RNG loving you there.

It's like when you run into Envy on your first room; just reset and you'll clear the Basement faster than if you fight it.

And yeah, Dingle is a great example of a well designed boss fight. I thought it was super hard at first, but now that I've got the hang of it and learned all of his patterns (read: no RNG) it's super easy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Unsmart things to do: Eating the IV Bag with your Void

Also it doesn't surprise me since that would trivialize a huge part of the challenge, but getting the black candle during Ultra Hard does nothing

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Got a seed earlier where I got guppys collar and dead cat in the cursed room next to the spawn. Then proceeded to die 9 times to the haunts stupid baby ghosts before I could even get to the second floor. A+ would play again. Just couldn't outspeed the little bastards.

Also, jar of tears is a terrible item.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

kemikalkadet posted:

Yeah, only try this if the game still crashes after you install it in the right place. For most people the mod just works but for some it crashes with non-obvious solutions.

Okay, now it no longer crashes on startup, but it does crash whenever I begin a run.

EDIT: It works when I remove "gfx" and "rooms" from the resources folder, but those sound pretty important.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 5, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm a huge completionist and got every achievement in Rebirth and Afterbirth, but I don't think I'll be doing Greedier mode at all. I could hold R for a restart until I can break the game, but that sounds like an exercise in frustration. Beating Delirium with every character will probably happen, because all I need is to get an overpowered run on any random run, which happens.

I can tell you that Mom's Knife is a horrible pickup if you want to fight Delirium, which is too bad because it made the run up to him completely trivial.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

That's the kind of effort they should have put into a remix boss.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm a huge completionist and got every achievement in Rebirth and Afterbirth, but I don't think I'll be doing Greedier mode at all. I could hold R for a restart until I can break the game, but that sounds like an exercise in frustration. Beating Delirium with every character will probably happen, because all I need is to get an overpowered run on any random run, which happens.

I can tell you that Mom's Knife is a horrible pickup if you want to fight Delirium, which is too bad because it made the run up to him completely trivial.

If you have a Hush run, you have a Delirium run, which is pretty okay, I feel. Mom's Knife is probably a bad pickup against it tho, now that I think about that fight.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Hush is probably harder than Delirium if they tone down his spastic blinking towards the end. Also there seem to be other ways to get into the Void from the Womb, Dark Room or Chest so you might not have to beat Hush every time.

Carecat posted:

That's the kind of effort they should have put into a remix boss.
It's the same thing they did in-game?

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 5, 2017

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010
I annihilated Delirium on first sighting with Mum's Knife, but then I also had Loki's Horns so it didn't really matter where the thing jumped to, I was going to hit it anyway.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Ariong posted:

Okay, now it no longer crashes on startup, but it does crash whenever I begin a run.

EDIT: It works when I remove "gfx" and "rooms" from the resources folder, but those sound pretty important.

This might be a stupid question but did you install the game correctly? As in run the install.bat file?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of Delerium: How does The Void work? There was a whole pile of boss rooms, the first one I did was a blastocyst, and after beating it there was an item and a spooky thing happened. Second boss room I went into was Delerium. Are they just in a specific / random boss room, or is it a triggered thing? Sadly didnt beat them due to those drat red poops.

Also, I'm thinking about cheat engining to get keeper's unlocks: does anyone know of a cheat table for that?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Anyone else seen a half red, half soul heart? I just had one drop but I was at full red hearts. It gave me a full soul heart so I'm wondering if it's a +1 to both or a +1/2 to both and +1 full soul if you're full on red.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It gives you red hearts if you have space for them and soul hearts if you don't. It can give you half and half if you have half a container empty.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The last ending implies that Isaac made literally everything up and his mom was just some nice if not sad lady so fighting god might not of gelled well with that reveal.
I assumed she was emotionally abusive on some level to him as you might imagine an evangelical to be to their child. Not necessarily to the extent of "she's going to murder him" but I thought at one point Edmund talking about growing Catholic and this fear of failing to live up to those standards. That you're impure or somehow possessed by Satan.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Those who feel mods will save AB+ set sail for sadness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2h2IpkqSo0

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This Blue Bomber run was going pretty well until I went in the wrong room and ran into Hush. I couldn't even get half the stuff before him because there were so few keys that run. I got him to half before being overwhelmed because it turns out you have jackshit damage as Bomberman. :v:

e: It'd be nice if challenges wouldn't let you go the wrong direction and gently caress yourself, but at least it was fairly easy before that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Interesting to note, once you unlock Maggie's Pill, she always starts with a Speed Up pill. Meaning that she effectively has the same base speed as Isaac, but also Speed Up pills will always be in her pill rotation.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maggie was always my least favourite character to play because her speed so that's a very nice change.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 6, 2017

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

flyboi posted:

Can't modify existing enemies without recreating and replacing every instance of them and rewriting the AI, can't alter existing items, can't create items that affect stats, can't do anything with curses, can't create new custom challenges.

:laffo:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

flyboi posted:

Ha ha ha. To the surprise of no one, AB+ is actually just as unmoddable as regular AB.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

flyboi posted:

So, what can be done with the existing mod tools?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

flyboi posted:

Apparently Edmund watched the video, for what that's worth. What a loving mess.

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/817145092448210945

Cubemario fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 6, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pants Donkey posted:

I assumed she was emotionally abusive on some level to him as you might imagine an evangelical to be to their child. Not necessarily to the extent of "she's going to murder him" but I thought at one point Edmund talking about growing Catholic and this fear of failing to live up to those standards. That you're impure or somehow possessed by Satan.

I took it as Mom and Dad fought a lot, Dad left and Isaac started blaming his mother and misbehaving in general. Post it notes on the walls in the final ending show his doodles getting more and more violent and dark until he locks himself in the chest to die. His mom hangs the missing poster up hoping to find her son but eventually finds him after some time has passed and buries him on the hill. The shadow figure is possibly his dad.

Like the game itself is just stuff Isaac is daydreaming and scribbling out on post it notes- kids obviously a little disturbed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ChibiSoma posted:

Eating the Forget-Me-Now with Void is preeeeetty stupid, you guys.

It's also guaranteed - assuming I don't die of boredom first - that I can get Dad's Key so I can knock Mega Satan off Apollyon's to-do list. Doesn't matter that I'd have to leave Void behind, because all it can do right now is reset floors. Picking up Chaos early on from a shop is making things even sillier. Void's a pretty good item. Shame the character who comes with it is pointless.

E: Oh. Hey. Did you know that quitting out of the game and continuing later will make Void forget what it's eaten? Because I didn't! :mad:

I did that, got the Forget Me Now on the first floor. At which point I repeatedly cleared the first floor and decided if I wanted to keep or eat the item room or boss item 9-10 times. If you activate it in a room with a pedestal you'll still eat the item for the stat-ups before the floor resets.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
apparently if you keep doing consecutive victory laps, you start losing items, losing shops, and eventually turn into the lost

that's pretty cool and a little creepy, gotta try it

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Cubemario posted:

Apparently Edmund watched the video, for what that's worth. What a loving mess.

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/817145092448210945

I want to believe but with the sorry state of the game and bugs still existing from the rebirth release on OS X that flat out break the game requiring a relaunch I'm not so sure nicalis can make the modding tools useful

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
If the main feature of Afterbirth+ was the modding tools then it honestly looks like they've cocked it up. The modding tools just seem so very powerless, and in weird ways sometimes. You can't make stat up items, what the christ? That's like the simplest item there is and it won't let you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
One thing I find interesting is how the dlc has taken a complete nose dive in reviews as time goes on. On release it was at 90% or so and last I checked 56% or so today. Compared to each other release that is in 90s I'd say this has been a complete train wreak