Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Subyng posted:

I feel like making her half Romulan isn't necessary. Unless humans are uniquely the only species that has differences in personality between members, I think it simply being a quirk of her personality makes it more interesting.

Vulcans aren't genetically unemotional, they just have a culture centered around surpressing emotions. Chalk it up to another thing they hadn't really worked out in the early days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Does the novelization explain why he refers to her as Mister?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Vulcans aren't genetically unemotional, they just have a culture centered around surpressing emotions. Chalk it up to another thing they hadn't really worked out in the early days.

Yep, which is what made Tuvok's conatant barely contained annoyance so entertaining.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everyone says the doctor is the best on voyager, but I always related to Tuvok since he seemed so loving annoyed to be on that ship and deal with those idiots every day.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Namaer posted:

Does the novelization explain why he refers to her as Mister?

Some organizations don't use separate courtesy titles for genders. I guess Spock follows suit.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

It seems like Wrath of Kahn almost completely ignored The Motion Picture, WoK begins with having to finagle the crew back on the Enterprise after TMP ended with them all there, and there are a lot of the same conversations about Kirk wanting to be a captain instead of an admiral. Was there a lot of hate for TMP after it's release that made them reset everyone again?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Daaaammmn. Bummer. Sounds like they're hosed and rightly so if all that's true but it looked like it'd be a fun old school trek flick.

Ninja edit: Also thanks man for doing a bang up summary!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Namaer posted:

It seems like Wrath of Kahn almost completely ignored The Motion Picture, WoK begins with having to finagle the crew back on the Enterprise after TMP ended with them all there, and there are a lot of the same conversations about Kirk wanting to be a captain instead of an admiral. Was there a lot of hate for TMP after it's release that made them reset everyone again?

I think that canonically, there was an entire new 5 year mission that took place between TMP and WOK with Kirk as commanding officer.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If anything, Axanar needs to be wiped off the face of the galaxy just for producing this piece of poo poo:

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Looks like an upside-down NX-01

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Namaer posted:

TMP's production got quite badly out of hand, between script issues and the original effects house totally screwing the pooch. Paramount, in a classic example of Hollywood accounting, claimed the movie cost $45 million (they tacked on anywhere from $15 to $20 million from the previous aborted movie attempts as well as all the costs sunk on Phase II to get to that number), and used it as an excuse to kick Roddenberry upstairs to the ceremonial role of "executive consultant." The movie still made a lot of money but it was critically very poorly received, so Paramount decided to strike while the iron was hot and get another Trek movie out the door -- but they didn't want another psychotic run of production and pre-production, so they handed the entire thing over to the television division, which is how Harve Bennett essentially came to be in charge of Trek for the next decade.

Both Bennett and eventually Nick Meyer felt a big issue was that the first movie had ignored the passage of time, instead of embracing it and saying, "You know, it's been ten-plus years, these people will have changed, we need to roll with that" -- which is how elements like Kirk having a son, Kirk turning 50, Spock's death and its effect on the crew, the crew facing an enemy comprising a bunch of young supermen, etc., all came into play across the various scripts that were developed for the movie across the span of like a year and a half.

Croatoan posted:

Daaaammmn. Bummer. Sounds like they're hosed and rightly so if all that's true but it looked like it'd be a fun old school trek flick.

Ninja edit: Also thanks man for doing a bang up summary!

The thing is, they had a number of conversations with CBS and Paramount, and they were told what every other fan film ever had been told: "Don't try to make money off this, and we'll look the other way." But instead they had to sell Axanar-branded coffee and other poo poo (with one of the coffee blends having a goddamn Klingon D-7 on the bag), go on screeds on Facebook and Twitter ranting that they were the true heirs to the mantle of Star Trek and they were going to take it away from JJ the Usurper, use the donor money to build an entire goddamn film studio, and -- in some of the most damning evidence -- Christian Gossett produced email chains in which Peters said the original goal for Axanar was to have CBS / Paramount buy it out from him. Those are all kind of rather significant no-nos.

I mean, for God's sake, the judge in the case called out Axanar's attorney for citing Wikipedia in her written arguments. That's how moronic the entire operation is.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 5, 2017

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Farscape had that rarest of villainous powers: actual competence.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks Timby, that makes a lot of sense. I gotta say the costuming in WoK owns very hard. The new red uniforms and the away team jackets look extremely spiffy, though the engineering suits carried over from TMP are still an eyesore.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Namaer posted:

I don't know about hate, but they were definitely looking to pretend the first one didn't exist. IIRC, the movie was actually released just as "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan" so as to downplay the idea it was a sequel to the first. They added the "II" later after its original release.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You can't like OWN Star Trek, maaaan.

Oh wait, actually you can and someone does.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wikkheiser posted:

The Axafucks tried arguing to Judge Klausner that the Axanar project was actually a "mockumentary" (that's where their attorney cited Wikipedia). You can't make this poo poo up. :laffo:

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't know about hate, but they were definitely looking to pretend the first one didn't exist. IIRC, the movie was actually released just as "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan" so as to downplay the idea it was a sequel to the first. They added the "II" later after its original release.

The movie was reprinted several times, but, yes, the very first theatrical prints didn't have the "II" in the title.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 5, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VanSandman posted:

Farscape had that rarest of villainous powers: actual competence.

Scorpious is among the best tv villains in history.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wikkheiser posted:

I can, because I'm not a penniless hippy!

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

They should have called it Dumb Star Trek: Axonar like with Starbucks on Nathan for You

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This Ain't Star Trek XXX

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pakled posted:

This Ain't Star Trek XXX

I love that they chose Space Seed for that movie :allears:

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

You'd think there'd be a Star Fleet regulation against 69ing on the transporter pad but apparently not.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Namaer posted:

You'd think there'd be a Star Fleet regulation against 69ing on the transporter pad but apparently not.

They'll just get O'Brien's 23rd century relative to mop up afterward.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just watched the mirror universe episode of Enterprise, it was pretty good. Better than the DS9 ones actually.
It's actually sort of weird how in the DS9 mirror episodes you're meant to feel aligned with the terrans but they're basically a bunch of nazi's who got comeuppance for their centuries of atrocities and oppression. I guess it's been a few generations though, crimes of you ancestors and all.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Outside of Galaxy Quest, are there any humorous takes on Trek/sci-fi that aren't painfully unfunny?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zurui posted:

Outside of Galaxy Quest, are there any humorous takes on Trek/sci-fi that aren't painfully unfunny?

There's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow...

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I read the Star Wreck books as a kid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wreck_(novel_series)

Apparently there is a series of Finnish parody movies with the same name, but I've never gotten around to watching them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wreck

quote:

Star Wreck relates the adventures of James B. Pirk (named after the Star Trek character James T. Kirk), Captain of the starship C.P.P. Potkustartti (English C.P.P. Kickstart). Other characters include Mr. Fukov, Mr. Spook (Finnish: Mr. Spökö), Mr. Dwarf (Wuf), Ensign lovely and Mr. Info (loosely based, respectively, on Star Trek's Pavel Chekov, Mr. Spock, Worf, Scotty, and Data). The characters speak Finnish, but subtitles in various languages, including Klingon, are available.

Tears In A Vial fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 6, 2017

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
The Star Wreck shorts are funny in very, very small doses. In The Pirkinning is a master example of why you shouldn't stretch two jokes into a feature-length film.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zurui posted:

The Futurama Star Trek episode is amazing and full of great moments that only die hard Trek fans would get.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Zurui posted:

There was some goofy fan wank back in '02 that was pretty great. The crew rode around in a dune buggy shooting aliens, Picard had a clone, and Data found ANOTHER brother.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

armoredgorilla posted:

There was some goofy fan wank back in '02 that was pretty great. The crew rode around in a dune buggy shooting aliens, Picard had a clone, and Data found ANOTHER brother.

Wait... Oh. Oh.

I probably would enjoy that more if I received it as a comedy.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

armoredgorilla posted:

He said "not painfully unfunny"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

TMP's production got quite badly out of hand, between script issues and the original effects house totally screwing the pooch. Paramount, in a classic example of Hollywood accounting, claimed the movie cost $45 million (they tacked on anywhere from $15 to $20 million from the previous aborted movie attempts as well as all the costs sunk on Phase II to get to that number), and used it as an excuse to kick Roddenberry upstairs to the ceremonial role of "executive consultant." The movie still made a lot of money but it was critically very poorly received, so Paramount decided to strike while the iron was hot and get another Trek movie out the door -- but they didn't want another psychotic run of production and pre-production, so they handed the entire thing over to the television division, which is how Harve Bennett essentially came to be in charge of Trek for the next decade.

Both Bennett and eventually Nick Meyer felt a big issue was that the first movie had ignored the passage of time, instead of embracing it and saying, "You know, it's been ten-plus years, these people will have changed, we need to roll with that" -- which is how elements like Kirk having a son, Kirk turning 50, Spock's death and its effect on the crew, the crew facing an enemy comprising a bunch of young supermen, etc., all came into play across the various scripts that were developed for the movie across the span of like a year and a half.

Yeah, the timeframe was very wonky, and it was hotly speculated on and contested in fandom in the 80s and 90s, before it was officially canonized on places like startrek.com. Basically, it's only supposed to have been a couple years since the end of TOS (though in theory there were probably 2 more years of unseen original 5 year mission. So you have to imagine TMP was made in like 1974, and all the aging, Scotty's mustache, beige uniforms, new phasers and communicators as well as the new style ships all came about less than 5 years after Turnabout Intruder. Then there was speculation that there was a new 5 year mission after TMP with Admiral Kirk commanding, Spock signed back on as XO, and the whole rest of the crew. Then a couple more years of Kirk going back to Starfleet HQ, Spock becoming a Captain and Academy instructor, even more new uniforms, etc. But this was never ever mentioned onscreen, only punted about by fans and eventually canonized by the powers that be. This though, puts the actors ages in line with the characters, and by II-IV you have a roughly correct period between Turnabout Intruder and the present.

The Saavik half Romulan stuff would have been very interesting, if it had been explored onscreen, but it never was. Notably, unlike the second 5 year mission, her half Romulan backstory has never been canonized on startrek.com or even Memory Alpha. Only Memory Beta. IIRC, there was a pre-modern editorial era Pocket Book novel exploring how Spock came to rescue a young Saavik from the Romulans, raise her and mentor her. I have no idea if it was good or not, but 80s/90s Star Trek novel, so YMMV.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

armoredgorilla posted:

That turret with no vertical range of motion was pretty hilarious.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Astroman posted:

Yeah, the timeframe was very wonky, and it was hotly speculated on and contested in fandom in the 80s and 90s, before it was officially canonized on places like startrek.com. Basically, it's only supposed to have been a couple years since the end of TOS (though in theory there were probably 2 more years of unseen original 5 year mission. So you have to imagine TMP was made in like 1974, and all the aging, Scotty's mustache, beige uniforms, new phasers and communicators as well as the new style ships all came about less than 5 years after Turnabout Intruder. Then there was speculation that there was a new 5 year mission after TMP with Admiral Kirk commanding, Spock signed back on as XO, and the whole rest of the crew. Then a couple more years of Kirk going back to Starfleet HQ, Spock becoming a Captain and Academy instructor, even more new uniforms, etc. But this was never ever mentioned onscreen, only punted about by fans and eventually canonized by the powers that be. This though, puts the actors ages in line with the characters, and by II-IV you have a roughly correct period between Turnabout Intruder and the present.

The Saavik half Romulan stuff would have been very interesting, if it had been explored onscreen, but it never was. Notably, unlike the second 5 year mission, her half Romulan backstory has never been canonized on startrek.com or even Memory Alpha. Only Memory Beta. IIRC, there was a pre-modern editorial era Pocket Book novel exploring how Spock came to rescue a young Saavik from the Romulans, raise her and mentor her. I have no idea if it was good or not, but 80s/90s Star Trek novel, so YMMV.

The problem with that is that at the start of Search for Spock they mention that the Enterprise is 20 years old.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The best parody in any way related to Trek is Our Man Bashir because I've never seen an actor have as much fun as Avery Brooks did there.

e; okay it's not as good as GQ but that's a special case.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

The problem with that is that at the start of Search for Spock they mention that the Enterprise is 20 years old.

The other problem is that, entirely to explain in-reality production nonsense, the Enterprise crew is constantly being broken up and re-uniting.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Two thoughts so far on the search for Spock:

I laughed my rear end off at the "flight recorder" footage Kirk watches, it's literally just the clip from the previous movie.

Also I liked that the Kirk/Sarek mind meld scene was treated like a sex scene, with a fireplace and extreme closeups.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least in the show, thy used footage from the pilot and handwaved it by saying it was being broadcast from the planet by the aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Zurui posted:

I have a soft spot for Free Enterprise.

quote:

The film deals with the mid-life crises of its two main protagonists, Mark (Eric McCormack) and Robert (Rafer Weigel), fictionalized versions of the film's director and producer/writer. The two friends struggle with adult career and relationship problems, all the while defiantly clinging to the geeky science fiction pop culture of their youth and seeking advice from their greatest hero, William Shatner.

Shatner plays a campy caricature of himself as he works on a one-man musical version of Julius Caesar in hopes of finally being taken seriously as a dramatist and musical performer.