Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
LA actually sucks in almost every way compared to SD so theres that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

San Diego & Oakland are bad, along with Carson, and California really

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

kiimo posted:

Allow me to trigger you, NorCalGoodSir, when I mention one phrase: WATER THEFT.

It's hilarious that San Fransisco, who flooded one of the most beautiful parts of the state and built a pipe hundreds of miles, gets huffy about water theft.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

The Glumslinger posted:

The only city LA hates is Boston

This is it. We hate the Giants but I don't really think that's the same as hating San Francisco.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

It's hilarious that San Fransisco, who flooded one of the most beautiful parts of the state and built a pipe hundreds of miles, gets huffy about water theft.

San Francisco does not equal NorCal, and most NorCal people who are huffy about the water theft are also not exactly pleased by SF's little private trans-state environmental disaster pipeline either.

But... OK, yeah, SF is one of ours, while the filthy desert-dwellers down south are taking our water so they can waste it on their golf courses and swimming pools and inappropriate agricultural choices etc. etc. so yeah.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Frisco people say The City all the time and it confuses me because i live in arizona

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If the Chargers move and rebrand, it means there's a chance we can get a non-Spanos owned team, and I'm fine with that, even if the chance is miniscule

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Glass of Milk posted:

If the Chargers move and rebrand, it means there's a chance we can get a non-Spanos owned team, and I'm fine with that, even if the chance is miniscule

No, there's no chance. Because to get another team, we'd need to build a stadium. We can't build a stadium WITH a team here, you think one is going to get built WITHOUT a team here?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

got any sevens posted:

Peeps in Seattle barely think of Portland but Portlanders have a little brother thing.

Absolutely. It's so bizarre. I grew up between the two when they were rather different cities, and the first time I encountered the Portland hate of Seattle I was so bewildered.

Based on my limited sample size, Philadelphia seems to have a similar little brother thing towards New York, with a similar lack of attention going the other way.

hifi posted:

Frisco people say The City all the time and it confuses me because i live in arizona

But none of them say Frisco, that's a city in Texas. They say The City because it's how you distinguish it from the umpteen other jurisdictions in the Bay Area. This usage confuses the hell out of New Yorkers, too, especially the lifers who barely consider anything outside the five boroughs civilized much less a city.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

hifi posted:

edit: also pico de gallo

It is the California mans burden to bring the glory of pico to the unwashed masses

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"Frisco" was popular with the bikers/beats/etc back in the 50's-70's and then became an insult because all the east coast transplants in the Marina didn't like it.

It's used in Kerouac, Wolfe, Thompson books from that era for sure.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I left off in this thread too many pages ago.

What's the latest update with the Chargers and Raiders?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Keyser S0ze posted:

"Frisco" was popular with the bikers/beats/etc back in the 50's-70's and then became an insult because all the east coast transplants in the Marina didn't like it.

It's used in Kerouac, Wolfe, Thompson books from that era for sure.

I use it now precisely because it annoys those stuck up transplants.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

John Brown posted:

I left off in this thread too many pages ago.

What's the latest update with the Chargers and Raiders?

No definitive update but that'll probably happen next week. The expectation is that the Raiders will ultimately end up in Vegas, where they'll play until that stadium is built is up in the air between O.Co and UNLV's little stadium. San Diego is expected to end up in LA, they have nowhere to play in the interim though other than an MLS stadium or a completely empty Qualcomm.

The lesson seems to be if you're going to move an NFL team do it like the Davis family.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

a neat cape posted:

No, there's no chance. Because to get another team, we'd need to build a stadium. We can't build a stadium WITH a team here, you think one is going to get built WITHOUT a team here?

I'll still take those odds

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

shirts and skins posted:

Absolutely. It's so bizarre. I grew up between the two when they were rather different cities, and the first time I encountered the Portland hate of Seattle I was so bewildered.

Based on my limited sample size, Philadelphia seems to have a similar little brother thing towards New York, with a similar lack of attention going the other way.

But none of them say Frisco, that's a city in Texas. They say The City because it's how you distinguish it from the umpteen other jurisdictions in the Bay Area. This usage confuses the hell out of New Yorkers, too, especially the lifers who barely consider anything outside the five boroughs civilized much less a city.

i mean philadelphia is like the fifth largest city in the US though

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
they're going to move the chargers to LA and rebrand them. they're gonna be the loving los angeles ruffians or some poo poo hahahah

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I've never seen much hate for New York in Philly outside of sports rivalries and reactions to dumb poo poo like this. Having one of the most amazing cities in the world and everything it has to offer a daytrip away (while not having to pay New York rent prices) is one of the benefits of living in Philly.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

v2vian man posted:

they're going to move the chargers to LA and rebrand them. they're gonna be the loving los angeles ruffians or some poo poo hahahah

gently caress, if a team had the guts to name themselves the Ruffians I think I wouldn't be able to root against them

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Just wanted to chime in as an ex-SD person, the only city I hated more than SD is LA. It was all of the bad things about SD (hot, expensive, congested, fake) but somehow worse.

Also, Spanos is never going to rebrand his team. SoCal Chargers incoming.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I've never seen much hate for New York in Philly outside of sports rivalries and reactions to dumb poo poo like this. Having one of the most amazing cities in the world and everything it has to offer a daytrip away (while not having to pay New York rent prices) is one of the benefits of living in Philly.

I always thought that Boston had the little brother complex when it comes to New York

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rebrand to the LA Guacamoles

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I mean, I'll defer to the locals on this, like I said it's mainly anecdotal. But the people I knew from there would just *bristle* when you mentioned NYC. That and how Philly lists everything they have as "The oldest ____ in the US". But I feel like permutations of that attitude must be present in every Northeast corridor city.

got any sevens posted:

I use it now precisely because it annoys those stuck up transplants.

My mom's side of the family is literally from the City and they don't like it.

(Yes it's me I'm the son of California invaders of Washington)

FCKGW posted:

Rebrand to the LA Guacamoles

LA Golden Knights

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

It is a pretty provincial place in a lot of ways so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm underestimating the NY hate here, but it's also a place where people like to talk poo poo on basically everybody for fun. It can be hard to tell the difference between that and genuine hate sometimes. Like all the racism from the white people here? Yeaaaahhh, unfortunately not ironic. Don't think people have much real hate for NY though.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
actually because of the pepe meme, all racism is now ironic

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FuriousxGeorge posted:

philly is sort of a special case for city rivalries because the city most philly residents hate is philadelphia itself

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

An astounding turn: After Rams moved, fewer people watched the NFL in LA

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
As a native San Diegan I grew up hating LA. Looking back, it was almost exclusively because of the SoCal Raider fans. The only exposure I had to LA was the Chargers Raiders game and it's no secret that the Raider fans that show up to that game in San Diego are assholes (for the record the Chargers fans at that game are also assholes).

As I got older I spent more time in LA and I really came to appreciate it. LA is basically SD with more of everything. That's not to say that SD sucks, I still live here and I don't plan on moving. But, if you look at LA there's more businesses, more restaurants, more people, more neighborhoods, more sports teams, more concerts, more comedy, more art, more traffic, more everything.

Now, I love visiting LA to take advantage of the things that SD doesn't have. Like awesome art museums or comedy shows or concerts. I've also found that people in LA are getting less douchey and I'm often more annoyed with people in SD than I am with people in LA.

That said, if the Chargers move to LA they're dead to me. Part of me hopes that they go so I don't have to waste any more energy routing for the Spanos dumpster fire.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Weee any games blacked out?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lmao at the Nielson reports indicating anything in 2016 other than people who are living in the past regarding cable.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Weee any games blacked out?

They don't do blackouts anymore

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

The Glumslinger posted:

Yup.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think a good deal of whatever perceived Philly-NYC hate exists is solely due to Eli fluking his way to 2 super bowls

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zurreco posted:

Just wanted to chime in as an ex-SD person, the only city I hated more than SD is LA. It was all of the bad things about SD (hot, expensive, congested, fake) but somehow worse.

Also, Spanos is never going to rebrand his team. SoCal Chargers incoming.

Assuming you moved to Chicago I'd like to take some issues with this.

hot - Chicago in the summer is hot as gently caress and humid as gently caress with the added benefit of getting down to -15 in the winter.
expensive - all cities are expensive, like for instance Chicago if you don't want to live in Naperville
congested - after being stuck on the Dan Ryan for an hour and a half two days before Christmas I was longing for the 405.
fake - why do people who move away always say this? Chicago has it's own social issues for sure. I find I encounter very very few fake people and I work in the entertainment industry ffs.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

kiimo posted:

lmao at the Nielson reports indicating anything in 2016 other than people who are living in the past regarding cable.

I only get ESPN because my grandfather's cable account still works on all the apps.

He hasn't paid a bill in two years because he's dead.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Most of my LA problems are traffic related. It sucks to drive there, it sucks to park there. Other than that, I don't hate LA or anyone living there.

I think people in SD are afraid of poo poo developing too fast and then there's an endless corridor of humanity and overdevelopment from Chula Vista to Santa Monica broken up only by Camp Pendleton.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

It was down less than league wide viewership dropped

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

kiimo posted:

Assuming you moved to Chicago I'd like to take some issues with this.

hot - Chicago in the summer is hot as gently caress and humid as gently caress with the added benefit of getting down to -15 in the winter.
expensive - all cities are expensive, like for instance Chicago if you don't want to live in Naperville
congested - after being stuck on the Dan Ryan for an hour and a half two days before Christmas I was longing for the 405.
fake - why do people who move away always say this? Chicago has it's own social issues for sure. I find I encounter very very few fake people and I work in the entertainment industry ffs.

yeah traffic sucks if you move to naperville. i pay 1k a month for a two bedroom in avondale. it's not that bad

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Wait, what? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Lost Season posted:

Wait, what? Why?