Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flyboi posted:

One thing I find interesting is how the dlc has taken a complete nose dive in reviews as time goes on. On release it was at 90% or so and last I checked 56% or so today. Compared to each other release that is in 90s I'd say this has been a complete train wreak

If you think this is a train wreak you've never been around anything slightly controversial on steam at its release, user reviews always get swamped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

flatluigi posted:

If you think this is a train wreak you've never been around anything slightly controversial on steam at its release, user reviews always get swamped

I'd say the crappy user reviews are just another example to throw on the pile of how poorly the expansion has been received. If it was just crappy steam reviews alone, sure, but there are many more outlets calling it disappointing.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
and every isaac launch has been a train wreak anyway

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'll wreak ur trains

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

If the main feature of Afterbirth+ was the modding tools then it honestly looks like they've cocked it up. The modding tools just seem so very powerless, and in weird ways sometimes. You can't make stat up items, what the christ? That's like the simplest item there is and it won't let you do it.

Powerless, documentation is poor as hell, and maybe one of the examples didn't even work? The modding reddit for Isaac seemed really frustrated about the whole thing.

Why the hell advertise mod tools when they're busted as gently caress and can't be used unless you can code/program and even then, it seems you can't really do anything cool with them. Everything about this DLC is half-assed. :psyduck:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CJacobs posted:

I'd say the crappy user reviews are just another example to throw on the pile of how poorly the expansion has been received. If it was just crappy steam reviews alone, sure, but there are many more outlets calling it disappointing.

Oh I'm definitely not saying it's a good launch, just saying that steam user reviews are just a minor step above metacritic user reviews in how much thought you should actually give to them

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Had a strange occurrence earlier. Was on a regular hard mode Appol run, hadn't taken/absorbed any strange items or trinkets that I am aware of. Walked into a cursed room and suddenly had a full meat boy. No meat cubes previous, no cambion or anything, no item pickup that the item tracker recorded, just a full meaty with me for the rest of the game.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It was more comparing every other Isaac release that this isn't normal for the series. Even though antibirth was busted and unfinished on release it was still playable and enjoyable.

Rebirth the only bugs I can remember on release were lost revival being immortal but not many other show stopping bugs.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is there a way to get antibirth and afterbirth + at the same time? Like, could I just copy my BoI folder and have the regular install be afterbirth + and the copy be antibirth?

If not, how easy is it to switch between the two?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, AB+ has its issues, but sometimes it still manages to produce magic.

https://youtu.be/32dNRwn4LIs

The first run is nothing special, but once he starts the April Fool challenge, it's some All-Time Classic level :laffo:. Every time you think it can't get more :wtc:, it does.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 6, 2017

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spergatory posted:

The first run is nothing special, but once he starts the April Fool challenge, it's some All-Time Classic level :laffo:. Every time you think it can't get more :wtc:, it does.

The stream chat was dying that entire run. No one had any idea how the gently caress that happened. I still don't know how the gently caress that happened.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bi7HJ02ico

skip ahead to around an hour or an hour and ten to watch vinny turn into a random horror game final boss every floor

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Game just patched, 11.4MB. I don't have a chance to try it yet, though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

just got a patch. also earlier i got booger tears and shield tears and it was cool i could just clog up guys firing ports

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
No changelog posted on steam so glhf figuring out what they decided was changed

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Spergatory posted:

That whole run from when he got the Detonator was a :wtc: run. That part where he manages to both Teleport out of the boss room, then Forget Me Now while fighting the boss is up there with THAT moment.

Certainly looks more fun than getting Suicide King from a card by accident.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
April fools is about the only fun I've had with ab+ because it gets so absurd if you get a spammable space item.

For me though I lose it when it forget me nows :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

widespread posted:

That whole run from when he got the Detonator was a :wtc: run. That part where he manages to both Teleport out of the boss room, then Forget Me Now while fighting the boss is up there with THAT moment.

Certainly looks more fun than getting Suicide King from a card by accident.

I still don't understand how the Ultra Greed moment happened.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've finally gotten around to playing antibirth and these are seriously some of the best-designed bosses i've seen in the series.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

RatHat posted:

I think it has to do with that room size specifically. In challenges I've had instances where instead of a regular room it ends up as some sort of greed rush with a boatload of random crap spawning like I was in greed mode. Only happened to me three or so times but it was all in long vertical rooms just like that.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

RatHat posted:

When he was messing with the Detonator, he used the Delirious item, which normally spawns a charmed boss. I guess if it summons Ultra Greed, it, uh, doesn't.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The new patch deleted my saves! Luckily there's backups in the folder \My Games\Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+\ named something like "20170104.abp_persistentgamedata1.dat". I just renamed that to persistentgamedata1.dat and it was fine. Whew.

Always backup your saves before updating anything from Nicalis. Probably good advice for any game in general.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Void is supposed to suck up active use items? even more than one? I sucked up undefined as my first item, at first it was cool, free secret rooms and stuff, but I couldn't suck up any more items as it would teleport me first before sucking up the items and it just gave me a bad first impression of apollyon,

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Order of operations most likely. Probably undefined fires before void can suck the other items up

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've finally gotten around to playing antibirth and these are seriously some of the best-designed bosses i've seen in the series.
they're like 100% really good yeah

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flyboi posted:

No changelog posted on steam so glhf figuring out what they decided was changed

Changelong on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/games/250900/announcements/detail/248095310194829089

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/817205418095038464
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/817205927719772160
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/817206613660475392

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

When I sucked up the teleporter item It was absorbing items before taking me out of the room, letting me repeatedly absorb stuff provided I could re-charge.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

flyboi posted:

Order of operations most likely. Probably undefined fires before void can suck the other items up

Yeah, probably. Meanwhile the Order of Operations for Forget Me Now is that it sucks the item up before the game resets the floor.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flyboi posted:

Those who feel mods will save AB+ set sail for sadness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2h2IpkqSo0

Nicalis... is...? Incompetent!? :aaa:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
other important orders:

before diplo (good, lets you infinitely eat the same item for stat ups)

before Pandora's box (obv good)

after d6 (bad, but maybe good with the teleport effect described above? reroll, eat, but teleport away to keep the rerolled item)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

flatluigi posted:

Steam reviews are a good barometer on whether something's up with a game, by comparison SA threads for games are usually stupidly defensive.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
It's just unfortunate for afterbirth+ because like, either a really ambitious and expansive mod comes out for the base game, or afterbirth+ launches broken. One of these things on its own is whatever. In one case, you have a cool mod launching alongside a cool expansion. And in the other, afterbirth+ launches kind of busted, which whatever, it's 2017 and games launch busted all the time.

But both happening at once just makes for a Rough Look.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

Nicalis... is...? Incompetent!? :aaa:

Holy poo poo an actual changelog!! It's good to see improvement and I hope they make the modding API worthwhile.

The adds in the game in my opinion are the most meh ever and I don't expect balance to come back until they fix modding so someone can make it fair. Based off ed's tweets his excuse is that they play tested with people too familiar to Isaac that it's unbalanced for the regulars. Tuned into the cobalt/dick stream earlier to hear they have to loop 100 times for an achievement and all I can think is "why?gently caress you ed"

The April fools and backwards challenges are fun though and about the only things I come back to.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

flyboi posted:

Holy poo poo an actual changelog!! It's good to see improvement and I hope they make the modding API worthwhile.

The adds in the game in my opinion are the most meh ever and I don't expect balance to come back until they fix modding so someone can make it fair. Based off ed's tweets his excuse is that they play tested with people too familiar to Isaac that it's unbalanced for the regulars. Tuned into the cobalt/dick stream earlier to hear they have to loop 100 times for an achievement and all I can think is "why?gently caress you ed"

The April fools and backwards challenges are fun though and about the only things I come back to.

I have over a thousand hours in the game and even I find Ab+'s difficulty to be bullshit.

There's no loving way the game isn't going to crash an corrupt the current run save a few loops in. Is it just an achievement or is there an unlock for it? I can't believe Cobalt and Hammer did all of Greedier mode already, that's impressive. I don't imagine Northernlion is going to be able to do it, but we'll see.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i did greedier with a few chars already, including the keeper, and i don't feel it's really that much harder than regular greed mode. if anything regular greed was way too easy to break.

both of them severely lack replayability which is a much bigger problem really, i hadn't played any greed mode since afterbirth initially launched and I'm already feeling done with it again

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

BJPaskoff posted:

I have over a thousand hours in the game and even I find Ab+'s difficulty to be bullshit.

There's no loving way the game isn't going to crash an corrupt the current run save a few loops in. Is it just an achievement or is there an unlock for it? I can't believe Cobalt and Hammer did all of Greedier mode already, that's impressive. I don't imagine Northernlion is going to be able to do it, but we'll see.

From what I know it's 100 total re-runs not 100 in a row. We shall see!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

flyboi posted:

From what I know it's 100 total re-runs not 100 in a row. We shall see!
100 in a row is probably not possible what with turning into the lost and steadily losing items anyway

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I can't link it because phones suck but Ed said with the new update portals can only spawn 3 enemies so for a 2 portal room you can have 6 total until you kill the portal.

I think it's probably fair but can't play to get the feel. I'm just glad and surprised he went a max spawn route to address the issue... so long as they're rarer on basement

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

flyboi posted:

I can't link it because phones suck but Ed said with the new update portals can only spawn 3 enemies so for a 2 portal room you can have 6 total until you kill the portal.

I think it's probably fair but can't play to get the feel. I'm just glad and surprised he went a max spawn route to address the issue... so long as they're rarer on basement

That's not a change, they always had a cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Daeren posted:

That's not a change, they always had a cap.

It definitely wasn't 3 enemies per portal before