Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

flyboi posted:

It definitely wasn't 3 enemies per portal before

A portal can have three enemies spawned from it alive at any given time. If you kill one of those enemies, the portal can spawn a new one. That's how it's always worked, and hasn't changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Just from watching videos and streams, I think the portal nonsense is part of The Void reusing rooms from other levels.

Unless there's an entirely separate room set for The Void, the whole "rooms with portals spawn super frequently" thing might just be "The Void is supposed to have portals everywhere, whoops, they got added into the base game".

If that was the case and it were possible to set them solely to spawn in The Void, the difficulty might not be that bad.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Today I learned: using the Sacrifice Room enough times can spawn Angels that drop key pieces and even send you straight to the Dark Room.

Granted, I was only able to do that because April Fool's showers you with gold, black and soul hearts...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Either Delirium isn't doing that thing where he blips to a different spot for 1 frame or I just didn't notice it on my Judas run. He is, however, still warping into you, sitting on your head as various bosses, and Mom's Foot still does its damage before the foot actually falls. It damages you the second Delirium morphs into it.

It's not impossible to beat with Lost/Keeper, but you would still probably require Algiz runes and the Book of Shadows in addition to crazy high damage/Guppy flies to burn him down before your invincibility items go away.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

Either Delirium isn't doing that thing where he blips to a different spot for 1 frame or I just didn't notice it on my Judas run. He is, however, still warping into you, sitting on your head as various bosses, and Mom's Foot still does its damage before the foot actually falls. It damages you the second Delirium morphs into it.

It's not impossible to beat with Lost/Keeper, but you would still probably require Algiz runes and the Book of Shadows in addition to crazy high damage/Guppy flies to burn him down before your invincibility items go away.

Wouldn't Gnawed Leaf + Orbital work, albeit taking several hours?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think Delirium looks like a pretty fun boss aside from the glitchiness, and definitely different enough from "another boss rush" to be interesting. Having to adapt to all the various boss patterns on the fly is kinda neat as the ultimate test of your Binding of Isaac ability.

Also just to be clear, it's only the PS4 and Xbox One versions that are going to remain current with the PC version, right? I still haven't even played Afterbirth because I bought Rebirth on Vita. I never bothered to get the PC version as I really didn't want to have to go through all the unlocks again, and I'd honestly rather have BoI on a handheld if possible.

Does the PS4 version support streaming to the Vita? Or maybe I'll hold out for a possible Switch port. :smith:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Geight posted:

A portal can have three enemies spawned from it alive at any given time. If you kill one of those enemies, the portal can spawn a new one. That's how it's always worked, and hasn't changed.

Yes but portals weren't 3 spawns maximum from what I experienced

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Portals can spawn enemies infinitely but there can only be three live enemies per portal at any one time. Though it was like that before the patch too so whatever

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Did a handful of runs. Double portal rooms seem rarer now (although I've stumbled across plenty on Basement anyway), Vis Sisters are definitely nerfed, Big Horn hitboxes are definitely better (he sometimes pauses his hand attacks too, which was kinda weird to see). Didn't do a Delirium run or stumbled across a mimic yet.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Aaaaand the update wiped my save. Everything's gone, around 430 hours down the drain.

Anything I can possibly do to recover this? I know I could just download a save but I'm real loving done with this game right now.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Aaaaand the update wiped my save. Everything's gone, around 430 hours down the drain.

Anything I can possibly do to recover this? I know I could just download a save but I'm real loving done with this game right now.

BJPaskoff posted:

The new patch deleted my saves! Luckily there's backups in the folder \My Games\Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+\ named something like "20170104.abp_persistentgamedata1.dat". I just renamed that to persistentgamedata1.dat and it was fine. Whew.

Always backup your saves before updating anything from Nicalis. Probably good advice for any game in general.

Try this?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ChibiSoma posted:

E: Oh. Hey. Did you know that quitting out of the game and continuing later will make Void forget what it's eaten? Because I didn't! :mad:

oh gently caress

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Wrist Watch posted:

This seems to be working for people

quote:

1. Navigate to your save folder (savedatapath.txt which can be found typically in C:/Program Files(x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Binding of Issac Rebirth will tell you where your saves are)
2. Move persistentgamedataX.dat to your desktop (X is the slot number of your save)
3. Rename 20170104.abp_persistentgamedataX to persistentgamedataX again where X is the slot number of your save.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/250900/discussions/0/142260895142860932/

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That worked, thanks guys. :unsmith:

I know about making backups before updating but every other game I've literally owned in my life has managed to update without loving up my saves and I keep forgetting about this one since it hadn't happened to me before yet.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Smelter+ Lost poster=infinite lost respawns, if you dont have your lost chievos yet then go for it with that item combo, do it quickly before Edmund's fun senses tingle and it gets patched out like the void diplopia thing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you know for the massive item pool this game has, i feel like i get the magic scab on something like 25% of my runs. and i still see breakfast and dog food so often, those are always the biggest buzzkill. i don't mind seeing stuff that's similar to other stuff that much, but the gain one heart items from the base game are just such a huge buzzkill to get anymore. the magic scab is a huge upgrade on them, its just odd that i'm seeing it so often

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
it was a pretty needed nerf though tbh

since you started with the void all you had to do was hit up every shop to find pbox, diplo, or the new crazy floor nuking bomb to instantly break the game, and those are pretty common shop items

that bomb is probably my favorite item in ab+, common shop item that opens up hush? sign me up. i might actually do hush on keeper now (break game, get bomb)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If the modding tools get better I think I might make Diplopia work with Void again. I don't get some of the nerfs in this game sometimes when all they do is create mad fun things and considering how many items just don't really do anything positive.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Ack, looks like the post-it bug is back (at least pre-patch). I beat the game twice with Apollyon but got no marks for it. Unlocks still work so it's just a cosmetic bug but it's still rather annoying. Thankfully I have paper and a pen.

Other than that, I don't find AB+ as tough as people make it out to be. Could be because I have 1200 hours played on Isaac, but I haven't really encountered anything overly difficult so far. Even Greedier mode doesn't seem too bad. I mean, it's not something I find myself playing after I've unlocked everything, but that was the case with Greed mode as well.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rabidsquid posted:

you know for the massive item pool this game has, i feel like i get the magic scab on something like 25% of my runs. and i still see breakfast and dog food so often, those are always the biggest buzzkill. i don't mind seeing stuff that's similar to other stuff that much, but the gain one heart items from the base game are just such a huge buzzkill to get anymore. the magic scab is a huge upgrade on them, its just odd that i'm seeing it so often

I love that they made another pointless HP food item in moldy bread. :newlol:

quote:

I don't get some of the nerfs in this game sometimes when all they do is create mad fun things and considering how many items just don't really do anything positive.

That's my sentiment, its a single player game so who gives a poo poo if I wanna break it in half and have some fun.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I love that they made another pointless HP food item in moldy bread. :newlol:
That's almost certainly to maintain a certain percentage of +HP items in the pools. Probably why they added a bunch of new Guppy items in Rebirth too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Portals always had a 3 spawn at a time maximum. It means if they are in a really awkward place you can let them spawn three enemies, wait for them to disperse then go after the portal (rather than trying to DPS your way through spawns as they come out).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

redneck nazgul posted:

Wouldn't Gnawed Leaf + Orbital work, albeit taking several hours?

That might be a goal of mine if I see Gnawed Leaf as The Lost and manage to get there. There's a way to make the game not pause when it's alt-tabbed.

I like the nerfs, but I'm disappointed I didn't get to experience Void + Forget Me Now before the patch removed it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I refunded successfully two days ago and just started isaac for the first time after that. Still got afterbirth+

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not sure how you're supposed to get to the boss rush an Antibirth. It takes so much longer to get through the bigger floors that even rushing treasure room -> boss took me over 20 minutes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Stelas posted:

I'm not sure how you're supposed to get to the boss rush an Antibirth. It takes so much longer to get through the bigger floors that even rushing treasure room -> boss took me over 20 minutes.

Going the alt path through the first floor adds an extra floor to the route, right? It's probably very hard without a broken run.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Stelas posted:

It's a tradeoff, you do the harder floors and you get six chances to pick between two items or you do the easier floor and get 6 fixed items then a chance at bossrush where you get to pick 1 of 4 items and then get another fixed item.

If you are extremely good/lucky you get 6 item rooms with a choice AND the boss rush with the choice and the boss rush item but that is extremely good and maybe it's fine if that will rarely happen. It shouldn't be the standard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to go through the new floors if you are trying to get to boss rush.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not going through the new floors at all - I'm just going down the normal ones as fast as I can. Antibirth just seems to like spawning bigger levels, I've seen a 12-room basement 1 before.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Here's a question. I just started an Assbackwards challenge and backed out because lovely items. If you go back in to the same run Megasatans door is open and you can just leave and go to the next floor.

Would that count as a completed run for the challenge if mega Satan didn't die?

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.
I lost my save as well and tried the way to restore it that was posted last page, problem is, when I open the game it just says corrupt data. If i uninstall afterbirth+ and boot just plain afterbirth the save works perfect, I don't know why installing afterbirth+ leads to the corrupt save error.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Irving.jpg posted:

I lost my save as well and tried the way to restore it that was posted last page, problem is, when I open the game it just says corrupt data. If i uninstall afterbirth+ and boot just plain afterbirth the save works perfect, I don't know why installing afterbirth+ leads to the corrupt save error.

Because Nicalis aren't very good.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

the popular kids posted:

Here's a question. I just started an Assbackwards challenge and backed out because lovely items. If you go back in to the same run Megasatans door is open and you can just leave and go to the next floor.

It does, I got box and warped out of the room with a fool card :whatup:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I caved and got the update.

First run. All curse of the maze curses up to mom and no damage upgrade. And tiny room with Monstro Boss fight.

Deals with devil were all the shittiest items one can imagine (necronomicon, ghost baby, and the other blue baby, or just chests with spiders and bombs). gently caress my luck.

Also I got a mimic chest. Their new tell is better, but is there a way to neutralize them? I bombed it and it still hit me.

And finally I got the room with the 5? blastocysts which also contains other small enemies too. I managed to survive only to die a few rooms later.

Why do I do this to myself.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Did this patch fix the "quitting out makes the Void forget the actives you've eaten with it" bug? It didn't get entioned in those tweets and I'm holding off on doing Apollyon until I can be sure it'll be functional.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Stelas posted:

I...had no problem getting to both the Boss Rush and Hush in the same run last night. On Maggie.

Probably helped I got Maggie her upper out of April Fools though, at least until I got a speed down to ruin it. :v: Getting a handful of map-revealing cards did help until I found the crystal ball for more map reveals/more cards. Also Mom's knife and like 3 damage ups.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Yeah, this Pong challenge run went pretty okay I'd say :v:

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

abraxas posted:

Yeah, this Pong challenge run went pretty okay I'd say :v:

The pong challenge is the easiest thing in the world and I love it. After a number of failed greedier mode runs (to my humiliation I hosed up a run where I got both God head on the first floor and Ipecac not long after) booting up Pong and just tearing up poo poo is really relaxing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

the popular kids posted:

It did for me. Pretty sure the only "requirement" for a challenge is that you pick up the trophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I got Tammy's Head on Pong. It was great!