Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I've been reading this on and off throughout work today - fascinating poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Actual News. BBC are reporting that Jill Seward, sister of Joe, and the first person to ever wave the rape victim anonymity laws in the U.K. Has passed away of a stroke at age 51. She was a very nice lady.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Having read further, it almost sounds as though the teams have figured out a system similar to the one Williams had in the early 90's (the computer controlled system that automatically set up the car to corner) but without the use of computer ECU tech. If my understanding is correct.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Having read further, it almost sounds as though the teams have figured out a system similar to the one Williams had in the early 90's (the computer controlled system that automatically set up the car to corner) but without the use of computer ECU tech. If my understanding is correct.

It's tough to say how advanced it is but fluid logic ain't anything new, Citroën was doing it in the 60s. I always thought in theory it'd you'd be able to use steering, braking and some speed input to get a hydraulic system to crudely mimic active suspension. Packaging is probably way more feasible now that the rear is by wire and FRIC is banned, you neatly have the steering rack and all the braking close by.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Theophany posted:

BRDC playing brinkmanship with Lord Ecclesith over the future of the British GP. loving lol if they honestly think they're going to win that scrap.

They're not playing it with Bernie, they're playing it with Liberty. They're banking that Liberty's noises about protecting euro races are true.

It's brave, but it's not as stupid as going up against Bernie.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Not F1 - but are there any Paris Dakar English language broadcasts that aren't just a recap of the events? The presentations in the mid 2000s back when the race was still in Africa was so much better. They produced something that was sorta minute by minute like a WRC race, so you felt like you were actually watching a race. Is this just totally gone now?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There is no Paris in Dakar anymore

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

There is no Paris in Dakar anymore

Not much Dakar either.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Sky news just announced Manor will be calling in administrators this morning.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

blunt posted:

Came to post about this, here's a link with some more info: http://news.sky.com/story/manor-f1-team-8206lines-up-administrator-as-cash-runs-out-10719424

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Wonder if merc can put their proteges somewhere else then? That's going to shake things up.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

So the only space left (barring Manor actually somehow being able to race) is the second seat at Sauber?

Who's the favourite for that, Nasr or Wehrline?

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
Autosport reported a couple of days ago that Wehrlein has the gig, although nothing has officially been announced from what I can tell.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It would be really funny if Nasr's drive in Brazil, which punted Manor into 11th and no prize money, is what loses him an F1 drive because there's no Manor to dump Wehrlein in

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's gotta suck for Wehrlein.

He's a mercedes development driver and mercedes has an empty seat and his seat dried up and mercedes is still like "uhhh, no."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hmmmmmmm maybe Liberty should divide up the TV rights money more equitably.........

E: Has anyone else noticed that Autosport and Motorsport are basically the same thing now that the latter owns the former? Their front pages right now are nearly identical.

wicka fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 6, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That was bound to happen. Didn't one of the motorsport magazine guys hope over to autosport? Its an odd move if they're just sharing articles.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sounds like F1 should've been better at minding their Manors.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Powershift posted:

That's gotta suck for Wehrlein.

He's a mercedes development driver and mercedes has an empty seat and his seat dried up and mercedes is still like "uhhh, no."

Yeah, and I don't know why they're bothering really because his career was over as soon as he didn't get that drive. If he was "just" a 1 year F1 junior maybe but he's been DTM champion for them. They know what he's capable of now and they're not impressed. I can only assume they've already committed to pay Sauber and they don't have an alternate Junior who yet qualifies.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They have Ocon

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Two fewer blue flags for Vettel to whine about, honestly.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

That was bound to happen. Didn't one of the motorsport magazine guys hope over to autosport? Its an odd move if they're just sharing articles.

It seems like they are just sharing articles. Jon Noble moved from Autosport to Motorsport last year or the year before, his piece about Honda's 2017 engine is on the front page of both sites. It seems like they are lining up to merge them, but Motorsport *just* launched their own subscription service, and you'd think if they were uniting under a single name they'd keep Autosport.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh Bernie :allears: he's been gobbing off in bild of all places http://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-1/ecclestone-ferrari-to-blame-for-vettel-slump_sto6001582/story.shtml

Gouding engine suppliers: check
Terrible idea about format: check
The good old days: check
Royally Piss off Ferarri: check

"Too many Italians are working for the team at the moment" B Ecclestone

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that sucks.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

It would be really funny if Nasr's drive in Brazil, which punted Manor into 11th and no prize money, is what loses him an F1 drive because there's no Manor to dump Wehrlein in

Nasr was pretty terrible last year, aside from Brazil. I wonder what the Saubers will look like now. In addition, it's kinda unfair that Manor finished last; I was of the opinion that their car was better than the Sauber.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Oh Bernie :allears: he's been gobbing off in bild of all places http://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-1/ecclestone-ferrari-to-blame-for-vettel-slump_sto6001582/story.shtml

Gouding engine suppliers: check
Terrible idea about format: check
The good old days: check
Royally Piss off Ferarri: check

"Too many Italians are working for the team at the moment" B Ecclestone

Rattling the sabre whilst he still has it, really.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Nasr was pretty terrible last year, aside from Brazil. I wonder what the Saubers will look like now. In addition, it's kinda unfair that Manor finished last; I was of the opinion that their car was better than the Sauber.

It's a shame because you could reasonably see Manor building on the success of this year over the long term, Sauber is going to be just as poo poo if not more next year.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

blunt posted:

This actually sucks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tsaedje posted:

And it's also a good job Rosberg retired, because if he hadn't freed up a seat for Massa to cancel his retirement there'd be no Brazilian drivers in F1 for the first time since 1969.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't think it was, it was pretty obvious they were only beating Sauber on power circuits.

There's no reason to assume it couldn't have been this year of course.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
So that's the last of Mosley's budget teams gone then.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Out of F1. This manor is fake manor, the real Manor are happily pootling round at the back in WEC and came 10/10 in their class in 2016.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

So that's the last of Mosley's budget teams gone then.

I'm surprised Manor lasted as long as it did.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Manure.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Poois

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/senna-prost-era-would-be-considered-boring-today-alonso-863679/

*ahem*

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I mean, every driver thinks he started out in the best era, but he's not particularly wrong.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I mean, seriously, the Schumacher era, 5 in a row by a guy who is literally brain dead.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

I read some of the Facebook comments (lol) for this article. Everyone seems to think that Alonso was saying that the current era is actually really good.

No one read anything past the headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cool And Good opinions from a Cool And Good lad.

• Locked thread