Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm still astonished how boring that shot is.

It's a jetpack assisted charge, pretty much the Vanguard dream, and yet... no impact. It could be the fact it's an early build (hopefully) but none of the shots of charge so far have had any weight to them.

Odd.

Hard to spot, but the dude had shields. He should've taken a step or something, but there wouldn't have been any crazy physics unless this was ME1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Hard to spot, but the dude had shields. He should've taken a step or something, but there wouldn't have been any crazy physics unless this was ME1.

There's another guy without shields later who also doesn't go flying.

But yes. Shield guy should only stagger, and the stagger is there. It's just not the stagger of someone still standing despite being rammed with a freight train's worth of force. It's a stagger after being lightly shoved.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

If you look closely the guy does flinch briefly.

IDK what you all wanted, but that jetpack assisted charge looks cool to me; you power up then fire yourself like a bullet at the guy while the whole action is quick and efficient looking

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

IDK what you all wanted, but that jetpack assisted charge looks cool to me; you power up then fire yourself like a bullet at the guy while the whole action is quick and efficient looking

They wanted the impact part of it to look powerful, which it doesn't, which is a pretty drat important part of launching yourself at something like a bullet

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Digirat posted:

They wanted the impact part of it to look powerful, which it doesn't, which is a pretty drat important part of launching yourself at something like a bullet

I keep looking at it and it still looks like a cool rocket biotic punch to me.

IDK maybe of you do it to enemies without shields, armor, or barriers they'll ragdoll for more impact :shrug:

Although to me, the whole action appears to be a lot more quicker than the charge in ME 2 and 3.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 6, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I keep looking at it and it still looks like a cool rocket biotic punch to me.

IDK maybe of you do it to enemies without shields, armor, or barriers they'll ragdoll for more impact :shrug:

There was a shot of that in the same footage.

No dice.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

There was a shot of that in the same footage.

No dice.

Oh yeah

Well, since the upgrade system looks the same as ME3, maybe the force additions some biotic powers could get will make a return, and you'll have to decide if you want charge to stagger enemies longer/ragdoll people or recover barriers after a successful charge, or some other specialized upgrade

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm still astonished how boring that shot is.

Maybe I'm odd, but this is how all video game footage looks to me. I have to actually play games with all the timing and feedback to get a sense of the feel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why are people calling that a jetpack assisted charge? It's just the biotic charge mid jet jump, no? (Or is that what they mean?)

E:i guess that is the intended meaning. I was thinking the jet was used in the actual charge.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 6, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's just a fancy jump animation that doesn't even wipe out what you hit.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why are people so miserable in this thread. The nitpicking and moaning is amazingly exhausting to read

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zzulu posted:

Why are people so miserable in this thread. The nitpicking and moaning is amazingly exhausting to read

Defense mechanism. It allows people to feel vindicated if things are bad and pleasantly surprised if things are good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zzulu posted:

Any news is better than no news.

We're all miserable because the game will probably be okay, and we have to curb our expectations such that a merely okay game will be amazing by comparison with our expectations.

Plus, the most recent Bioware game was Dragon Age Inquisition, which was... all filler no killer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If you for some strange reason don't have ME2, it's free on Origin right now.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Wouldn't literally every attack in the entire game look cooler and more powerful if the enemy ragdolled when hit? Why does this specific attack need it?

Like if every shotgun attack ragdolled the enemy and blew it back 20 feet that would make the shotgun look powerful as hell but so what? Every attack can't ragdoll. Why is that one charge the attack that should get that effect?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lurks Morington posted:

The marketing being nonexistent is probably due to fallout 4. Didn't they reveal it in September and then release it nov? Regardless of its quality, it made a shitload of money and EA execs are probably looking to do something similar

Fallout 4 had a massive reveal campaign at E3 and a nonstop hype marketing machine all the way to its release five months later. Mass Effect: Andromeda got dumpstered at this year's E3 in between such high profile announcements as EA's new indie developer toolkit and a very unceremonious release date announcement.

Zzulu posted:

Every single piece of evidence points to this game just being a huge mess, but the goon hope burns eternal. OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Every single piece of evidence points to this game just being a huge mess

Not really.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Gme will be pushed 2 weeks, have a 38.6 gb day one patch, have some good moments but end up feeling unsatisfying.

Average score of 9.0/10

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The two-week delay will be to see if any fresh new memes can be incorporated into Ryder's dialogue.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Rinkles posted:

Not really.

Actually, it does.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Every single piece of evidence points to this game just being a huge mess, but the goon hope burns eternal. OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE.

Literally no piece of evidence points to that.

But I guess if the only way for you to feel any joy in 2017 is if ME4 is bad, you would choose to interpret it that way.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

The old leak with the jet pack is probably the most compelling marketing material Andromeda has.

It's actually this, friend:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can someone post examples of charge making enemies go flying in the past? The only times I remember that are when it was part of a biotic explosion. Otherwise it's meant to stagger and do damage, but the enemies stay close so you can shotgun/melee them to death.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It doesn't give me any joy to think Andromeda will be bad, in fact I'd much rather it'd be good! It's just that nothing in the game's troubled development communicates that its creators or its publishers have any confidence in the product. Compare what we've seen of ME4 to another game I really really want to be good that's releasing around the same time, Horizon: Zero Dawn. We've had long form interviews with the developers, 30-minute gameplay footage of supremely cool poo poo like shooting robot dinosaurs, riding robot dinosaurs, and exhaustive descriptions of the game's features. So far the most gameplay we've seen out of Andromeda has been an unceremonious Nvidia tech demo, multiple high-profile people have quit the project halfway through completion, and the most we've heard about any of its game systems is "there will be stuff." Now is it possible that Horizon: Zero Dawn will be a piece of crap and Andromeda will be good? Of course, but one game demonstrates confidence and the other one just seems to be hiding and hoping you'll climb aboard the meme train. Time will tell but please do not pre-order.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Codependent Poster posted:

Can someone post examples of charge making enemies go flying in the past? The only times I remember that are when it was part of a biotic explosion. Otherwise it's meant to stagger and do damage, but the enemies stay close so you can shotgun/melee them to death.

Yeah, what would even be the point of charging at an enemy if the enemy ends just just as far away from you at the end of it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

It doesn't give me any joy to think Andromeda will be bad, in fact I'd much rather it'd be good! It's just that nothing in the game's troubled development communicates that its creators or its publishers have any confidence in the product. Compare what we've seen of ME4 to another game I really really want to be good that's releasing around the same time, Horizon: Zero Dawn. We've had long form interviews with the developers, 30-minute gameplay footage of supremely cool poo poo like shooting robot dinosaurs, riding robot dinosaurs, and exhaustive descriptions of the game's features. So far the most gameplay we've seen out of Andromeda has been an unceremonious Nvidia tech demo, multiple high-profile people have quit the project halfway through completion, and the most we've heard about any of its game systems is "there will be stuff." Now is it possible that Horizon: Zero Dawn will be a piece of crap and Andromeda will be good? Of course, but one game demonstrates confidence and the other one just seems to be hiding and hoping you'll climb aboard the meme train. Time will tell but please do not pre-order.

One is a brand new console-exclusive IP.

The other is the 4th in a wildly popular series.

Where are your sources for ME:A's "troubled development" at? That people left the studio? They themselves have said they left after their parts with the game were finished before they left.

The game is over 2 months from a release date that was just confirmed this week. Do you want them to show everything now and have nothing for the next couple of months?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Eastbound Spider posted:

Gme will be pushed 2 weeks, have a 38.6 gb day one patch, have some good moments but end up feeling unsatisfying.

Average score of 9.0/10

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

This is basically what I think, too. I would like Andromeda to be a good Mass Effect game. But nothing that's been so far gives any indication that it's anything more than a very cynical attempt to continue the IP. There's no sense of innovation, really. When compared to other games in the genre, it seems like a slightly fancier ME3. It's nowhere near Witcher, yet obviously apes it. I don't like FO4 but I can point out that FO4 did some new things, like settlement building. It's why I liked the guy saying that FO4's marketing campaign was meaningless. It really wasn't! It made me sit up and take notice of a developer I'd written off.

I find it odd that a lot of Andromeda's pre-release marketing so far has been attached to other things. For example, the game awards show trailer and the Nvidia thing and the Sony thing.

I'm sure there's someone who could point out the difference in known information about Andromeda when compared to any other Bioware release, but I can't really be bothered. I feel safe in saying that we would usually know the entire party make up and some details on them, like a brief bio on each; a bunch of locations we might visit and some detail on them; a general idea of the antagonist; and more detail on new changes (for example, ME2 heavy weapons). poo poo, I'm pretty sure ME2 had the whole prologue and initial Cerberus base stuff detailed at this point.

A brief check tells me that ME 2 had those trailers for Jack and Thane like five months prior to release.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of Mass Effect 2, it's free on Origin right now for those who haven't already gotten it on PC.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Past Performance is Not Necessarily Indicative of Future Results and all, but Bioware has yet to let me down (the last five minutes of ME3 notwithstanding), so I'm pretty confident in Andromeda. If they manage to not screw up copying their own multiplayer from the last game that will be worth the price alone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Where are your sources for ME:A's "troubled development" at? That people left the studio? They themselves have said they left after their parts with the game were finished before they left.

That would be a very comforting, very diplomatic thing to say if you didn't want to burn bridges with your former employer. Just saying. Either way the game was pushed back another half a year after the departures of Chris Schlerf and Cameron Harris last March, so you be the judge.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

That would be a very comforting, very diplomatic thing to say if you didn't want to burn bridges with your former employer. Just saying. Either way the game was pushed back another half a year after the departures of Chris Schlerf and Cameron Harris last March, so you be the judge.

Hasn't the game also bounced between a lot of different studios and such under the EA umbrella? I remember something about the Need For Speed devs helping out.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Healthy scepticism is one thing, this is not that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

And, ultimately, we are five years on from ME3 and there isn't really anything about Andromeda that indicates it.

Except a jetpack? I guess?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hamburger Test posted:

Healthy scepticism is one thing, this is not that.

Well to turn the question around, what exactly is getting you hyped for this game?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

exquisite tea posted:

Well to turn the question around, what exactly is getting you hyped for this game?

I'm not exactly hyped, I have hope for the multiplayer being decent. But I don't sit around trying to tear it down or prop it up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Do we need to know everything about every character or zone?

EA still gives games out to the press find one of them you like and trust and get their opinion before launch or just wait. I'm glad there is so little info out. Reminds me of how I went into ME 1

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

I'm not exactly hyped, I have hope for the multiplayer being decent. But I don't sit around trying to tear it down or prop it up.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - I have hope for the multiplayer being decent.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

exquisite tea posted:

Or people can mean what they say, and you are trying to construct a narrative without anything to support it. In fact, Dragon Age has brought a freelance writer for the next game. He will likely leave before the game is complete. So, the fact that Schlerf and a freelance editor left isn't concerning if Bioware is leaning towards bringing in new writers temporarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Milky Moor posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda - I have hope for the multiplayer being decent.

Goon speed on your crusade.