Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I did think that this episode was a bit racist but then I remembered how racist/homophobic the very first episode was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

What are the rules?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Dennis' face as he enjoyed his own surprise high note killed me.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's a really bad opinion.

I found the first bit of the episode really boring and the jokes falling flat

about halfway through it started getting REALLY good

and ended probably the best of Season 11.

now that I think about it its pretty clever. The boredom we face as an audience in the beginning is the same boredom that drive MacDennis insane.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Count me in the camp that thought it was a funny and cool episode.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
How can you not love Charlie's interrogation song? loving brilliant!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

get that OUT of my face posted:

When I heard that the electronics store was called "The Wiz," I was fully expecting a gag involving this defunct chain.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that store, I was expecting the same thing.

moist turtleneck posted:

The only thing that made me uneasy was charlie bleeding out while singing, it was funny but holy poo poo that hits close to home to anyone that's been given a train at the police station

...is being given a train at the police station actually a thing, or is this just a joke going over my head?

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 6, 2017

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Just watched it and ate that poo poo up

I'm expecting racists to hate the episode for the right reasons and some progressive types to hate it for the wrong reasons. Like others have said though I thought it was solid social commentary

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

raditts posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that store, I was expecting the same thing.

...is being given a train at the police station actually a thing, or is this just a joke going over my head?

I assumed they were referencing this:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article90905442.html

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I do like how Old Black Man is still a part of the show and like the waitress he doesn't have an actual name the gang cares about.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Missionary Positron posted:

True sunnyheads know that the show peaked with the first episode of the first season, and it's been nothing but downhill ever since

Also, The Mick rules.

I watched the first two episodes of The Mick yesterday, and it was okay but I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet. It kind of feels like they took all the scenes from Kimmy Schmidt with the insufferable little rear end in a top hat kids and swapped Kimmy out for Sweet Dee.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

When does Josh Groban show up?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
To read the thread before watching the episode, I was expecting the episode to follow black actors around, doing their best 'gang but as black people" shtick.

I don't understand how this is at all cringeworthy or racist, because except for Frank, aren't they all constantly being racist but then immediately backpedaling and saying out loud "oh geeze we really shouldn't do that!". like, how much more progressive can you get than having your characters constantly call themselves out on inappropriate stereotyping? Am I missing something?

Certainly the weakest musical selection of the show so far, and I can't believe 'Charlie' getting shot isn't getting more attention. That was easily the most uncomfortable I have ever been during an episode of this show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I am saddened at the lack of love for Scott Bakula's song about Ziggy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

raditts posted:

I am saddened at the lack of love for Scott Bakula's song about Ziggy.

It was absolutely perfect. The only thing this episode was missing was a Dean Stockwell appearance.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

BSam posted:

The gently caress is this poo poo

NEWSFLASH rear end in a top hat, it's a really bad opinion!!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This would have been phenomenal if they had black actors portraying the gang the whole time rather than just in their reflections. Instead it just came across as overly safe and cautious. I didn't hate it and I'm glad they're still willing to take risks, but I agree with whoever said the season opener shouldn't be an experimental episode.

FogHelmut posted:

gently caress y'all, this was the funniest episode in years. But it wouldn't have worked without it being a musical.

I actually think it did hurt the episode. The Quantum Leap aspect was already enough of a concept to carry an episode, placing a 70's musical parody on top of that made it bloated.

I also agree with those who thought the songs didn't really land. Bob's Burgers and South Park do amazing musical parody numbers, so maybe I'm just spoiled by them, but the songs in this felt like quick drafts or something, can't really put my finger on it but the "lyrics on top of old MIDI" comparison seems accurate. Plus the fact that the gang except Kaitlin can't really sing just made it a little grating, like yes that's probably the joke, but still.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh man I just realized something kind of sad: the whole thing was was Old Black Man's dream, and part of that dream involved him being reunited with his long lost wife :smith: in real life she's probably long dead.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought it was a great episode. I'm more bothered about all the people saying they hate musicals. And then I wonder, what musicals have these haters actually seen?

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Burning_Monk posted:

How can you not love Charlie's interrogation song? loving brilliant!

I like that Old Black Man knows Charlie's mom is a whore who banged Frank.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Dead Precedents posted:

I assumed the gang has yelled about it at some point.

He calls himself Old Black Man, though. Like he has dream-Z pseudo-correct Dee and Frank.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yossarian-22 posted:

Just watched it and ate that poo poo up

I'm expecting racists to hate the episode for the right reasons and some progressive types to hate it for the wrong reasons. Like others have said though I thought it was solid social commentary
I'm a hugely insufferable social justice warrior and I find this episode and sunny in general to be incredibly inoffensive. Portraying lovely behavior is fine so long as the media in which it's contained doesn't act like it's an awesome thing to do.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought it was a great episode. I'm more bothered about all the people saying they hate musicals. And then I wonder, what musicals have these haters actually seen?

Probably Disney movies where the songs are just catchy numbers and are actually filler to the movie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dead Precedents posted:

Frank has probably bragged about that to him at least twice.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Probably Disney movies where the songs are just catchy numbers and are actually filler to the movie.

I hope you do not include The Lion King in this category.

Idk I can't say I particularly care about musicals but it's not like something is rendered terrible just because it has a few songs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was absolutely perfect. The only thing this episode was missing was a Dean Stockwell appearance.

I thought exactly the same thing, then got too scared to look up if Dean Stockwell is still alive or not :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Charlie's life gets a lot darker when it's anyone but Charlie Day. :v:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

I thought exactly the same thing, then got too scared to look up if Dean Stockwell is still alive or not :ohdear:

Still kickin'!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

I don't like how this is turning in to a divide between "This show is poo poo" and "I loved this episode and it was awesome and if you don't like it you hate fun"

Season 10 was my favorite season of the show; it kept Sunny's tone but got crazier. Stuff like The Gang Group Dates and Misses the Boat were really awesome. I just felt like Season 11 dipped too far in to really meta-humor and fast paced writing that felt forced and this episode didn't break from that. I have high hopes for next week though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Loved this episode and the ending shock. At least this week people were calling it the worst thing the show's ever done after 5 minutes because it was too out there, instead of being too derivative to a previous episode like several callback episodes the last couple seasons. I guess nothing would please everyone after 12 years...

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I enjoyed the episode and glad the show is back.

I'm looking forward to the UFC episode.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
The one thing that threw me is that I didn't realized until pretty far into the episode that Dennis was the fat guy and not Mac. When it first shows them looking at themselves in the mirror, and "Black Charlie" is this wide-eyed kid, first thing I'm thinking is "oh, it's like their true selves being represented as black people". So it seemed to make intuitive sense that Mac (who is predisposed towards cultivating mass) becomes Fat Black Mac. I guess I didn't really pay attention to their clothing too closely. In the end it really only mattered for Charlie though, and Black Frank just being a regular looking guy probably should've tipped me off.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

landgrabber posted:

Still kickin'!

Last I saw of him he was an rear end in a top hat :psylon:. He's 80, so might not be up to cameos in a comedy show.

Waltzing Along posted:

As a teenager I didn't like musicals because they seemed overly girly and effeminate. Later on I realized I just didn't really like the form. It's deservedly spoofed, all the time, but even the spoofs can be tiring.

I won't deny the vast talent behind them but I still generally don't enjoy it.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

This would have been phenomenal if they had black actors portraying the gang the whole time rather than just in their reflections. Instead it just came across as overly safe and cautious. I didn't hate it and

I like the idea but wow that would be really difficult. All it would take is one actor who couldn't completely nail his gang member to completely take you out of the show.

Would've been awesome if they could pull it off, though.

Speaking of which, I think the comparison is to "Charlie Work." Some director, kind of a gimmick episode, but that one works so much better. Not that this one was terrible but I think even those of us who liked it would say that it doesn't quite get there like it could.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Making this a musical episode is actually what's saved it from being seen as a preachy social justice episode. Clever girl

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Agronox posted:

As a teenager I didn't like musicals because they seemed overly girly and effeminate. Later on I realized I just didn't really like the form. It's deservedly spoofed, all the time, but even the spoofs can be tiring.

I won't deny the vast talent behind them but I still generally don't enjoy it.

Anybody who feels this way should go watch Crazy Ex Girlfriend and see how wrong they are first hand.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Anybody who feels this way should go watch Crazy Ex Girlfriend and see how wrong they are first hand.

I'll check out the first few eps, sure. I'd much rather like things than not like things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Moacher posted:

The one thing that threw me is that I didn't realized until pretty far into the episode that Dennis was the fat guy and not Mac.

Dennis/Black Dennis had their arm up for precisely this reason I'm sure.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Black Mac looked eerily like an actual black version of Mac.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Dennis was fat because while he thinks he is a golden god, he really sees himself as fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Although them being church blacks church people was a little off - I didn't think either Dennis or Mac's actors looked old or professional enough to be a deacon.