Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

But I mostly use my table saw to cut hotdogs!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Look at this scrub who doesn't know the proper way to cut hot-dogs is with a bandsaw.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Wish they had this back in high school. I'd have 10% of my thumb back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trebek posted:

Wish they had this back in high school. I'd have 10% of my thumb back.

Apparently its not a popular safety device because it damages the machine. Because you know that's more important than making sure someone doesn't get their hand chopped off.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
http://i.imgur.com/Tgzady7.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/ccCls5r.gifv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-4mBbTUDq0

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Holy poo poo! I love that

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently its not a popular safety device because it damages the machine. Because you know that's more important than making sure someone doesn't get their hand chopped off.

They're actually incredibly popular, because apart of the saw-stop feature, they're extremely high-quality tools.

When they first appeared, woodworkers were a bit hesitant because the whole thing seemed gimmicky, and like you said, if the saw does engage the brake you have to get new internals for the saw. But people quickly discovered that they were really good saws beyond that too.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Evan Peters?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They're actually incredibly popular, because apart of the saw-stop feature, they're extremely high-quality tools.

When they first appeared, woodworkers were a bit hesitant because the whole thing seemed gimmicky, and like you said, if the saw does engage the brake you have to get new internals for the saw. But people quickly discovered that they were really good saws beyond that too.

Better than new externals for your hand.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Gorilla Salad posted:

I always wanted to know how they got the values for sin, cos and tan and none of my teachers could ever explain it worth a drat. Especially when we got to the more advanced stuff like that.
I could never remember charts so I've taken Trig/Calc a few too many times, BUT...

It's all ratios.

It's also how/why if you know any 3 factors (angles, sides)(Other than just angles) you can figure out the rest on a triangle pretty quickly with a²+b²=c², the sum of the 3 angles = 180, and [utl=https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/trig-solving-sss-triangles.html]the law of cosine[/url].

Anything more than this quickly goes WAY over my head, but if you REALLY want to know the math with more than just plugging in actual measurements and calculating, look there. If you want the complete 1-90 chart, it's out there.

I just need to remember this post when I go back to school.

Also

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

My dad almost bought one of these for his woodshop. They have sensors to detect extremely small changes in current, then shoots the blade inwards fast enough to not cut your hand

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's cool enough, but are there any videos of a hot dog / flesh analogue actually smacking into the blade instead of sloooooowly edging in?

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

That's cool enough, but are there any videos of a hot dog / flesh analogue actually smacking into the blade instead of sloooooowly edging in?

http://i.imgur.com/Q1RiVF2.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/gG4XHqt.gifv

I saw videos about this years ago and just happened to run into the sausage one today, so glad some others could actually talk about it. This thing's going to change my life since I no longer need pants to do shop work anymore.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

If you dig around, one of the main salesmen did an interview where he demonstrated it with his hand. I don't think he really likes to do it because it freaks everyone out (including himself) a ton

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

w00tmonger posted:

If you dig around, one of the main salesmen did an interview where he demonstrated it with his hand. I don't think he really likes to do it because it freaks everyone out (including himself) a ton

Weak.

Shoulda used his ballsack.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
It's often harder on the saw than it is on the sausage.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Somfin posted:

Weak.

Let me show you all how safe our saws are!

*saw brake slams down on donger*

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean...the "new internals" are just a new blade and the stopping mechanism, right? And since it's designed around those parts needed to get replaced when it triggers, I cab't imagine it's that hard or expensive to replace them.

And this, or similar, tech is being used on other brands now, too. I saw a segment of "Ask This Old House" where a Bosch table saw had a similar mechanism. Not sure if it's their own design or licensing out the SawStop patent, but still cool that other manufacturers are deciding that safety is good.

One thing I'm still not clear on is how they do with wet wood...wasn't there an issue with false positives because wet wood has a capacitance similar to skin?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I mean...the "new internals" are just a new blade and the stopping mechanism, right? And since it's designed around those parts needed to get replaced when it triggers, I cab't imagine it's that hard or expensive to replace them.

And this, or similar, tech is being used on other brands now, too. I saw a segment of "Ask This Old House" where a Bosch table saw had a similar mechanism. Not sure if it's their own design or licensing out the SawStop patent, but still cool that other manufacturers are deciding that safety is good.

One thing I'm still not clear on is how they do with wet wood...wasn't there an issue with false positives because wet wood has a capacitance similar to skin?

A replacement brake cartridge is like $70, plus the replacement blade which can be anywhere from $20 to $200 depending on what you're running in there, but that's a hell of a deal compared to losing a finger. I think some people manage to recover their blades from the brake, too. Not sure I'd want to, but there it is. There are other options out there that only require a reset, but I'm not sure if they stack up quite as well as the sawstop. That being said, the sawstop guy(s?) is an rear end in a top hat, he came up with his great idea, and then tried to get it mandated that all new saws licensed his kit, by law. I don't really care if the tech becomes required in new saws, but if that's going to be the case, you can't force people to license that poo poo, you have to open it up. At least that's what I recall happened. He didn't succeed in his plan, at least.

And yes, you can get false positives with conductive materials.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Most safety and environmental regulations are centered on patent exploitation so the only reason he isn't par for the course is that he isn't a megacorp consortium who can buy legislative committee votes and have ins to the regulatory bodies.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bad Munki posted:

And yes, you can get false positives with conductive materials.

True, but there's a bypass mode so you can run the saw without the safety brake, plus there's a little LED that'll light up if the item your testing in bypass mode is conductive.

I think the wood has to be absolutely sopping wet to be conductive anyway. Slightly moist wood generally shouldn't set it off, and if you're shelling out the cash for a quality saw-stop unit, you're probably not cutting damp wood in the first place.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

To replace all the parts that get hosed up is a few hundred bucks, but the thought is most people would rather have part of their finger

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

True, but there's a bypass mode so you can run the saw without the safety brake, plus there's a little LED that'll light up if the item your testing in bypass mode is conductive.

Didn't know this, that's cool. We've been pining for one at our shop but we occasionally cut aluminum with the table saw and thought that would be a deal breaker.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
pity he didn't fake an epileptic fit.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

I think they're playing the Nokia ringtone, too.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Maleh-Vor posted:

I think they're playing the Nokia ringtone, too.

I'm telling myself they're playing the Psycho theme.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I would be willing to bet that people are, ironically, more safety-conscious when using those things for fear of setting it off and loving up their nice saw.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/6TsvFsi.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/odt8hZw.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/38Rds1B.gifv

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Somfin posted:

Weak.

http://i.imgur.com/fFbr4qF.gifv

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

New season of Xtreme Parking Wars is looking great.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Slide down window
extend key
back out
find other parking spot

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
tbh the shitlord there is the white car, if someone stops like that so they can back up into a spot, you don't do that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Really should've used a spoiler tag for that gif.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
http://i.imgur.com/ifVcrAO.mp4

QuasarIntheMist
Sep 4, 2011

["Clair de Lune" fades in softly]

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

QuasarIntheMist posted:

["Clair de Lune" fades in softly]

The new car boys is a really good one