Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Earwicker posted:

the movie looks real bad and the music used in the trailer sounded super generic

dont know if that was from reznor's score or not but I think thats probably why people arent talking about it much

There are actually trailer composers, people who are paid just to score those, independently of the films themselves. This is most likely what's going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
nvm

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 1, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I hope there's eventually a version of the Fragile that has vocal versions of the new tracks if any exist. The March in particular seems like it may have had vocals.

Bringing up an old post, but it occurred to me recently that maybe "The March" was a germ of what eventually became "And All That Could Have Been". Obviously in its final form, the mood of the verses is very different, but there's still some similar percussion there, and the chorus is obviously pretty similar too. Given the timeline of AATCHB, I think it's a feasible theory.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It became a Saul Williams track, and it sounds nothing like AATCHB. Wtf

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No, WTF is another Saul Williams track.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

IUG posted:

No, WTF is another Saul Williams track.

A good one too!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I finally got my hands on Deviations and it's pretty awesome but, man, the alternate version of The Mark Has Been Made is weird. That and Pilgrimage has some new stuff on it that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Call Me Charlie posted:

I finally got my hands on Deviations and it's pretty awesome but, man, the alternate version of The Mark Has Been Made is weird. That and Pilgrimage has some new stuff on it that sticks out like a sore thumb.

The Mark Has Been Made made me kinda scratch my head too. The damp farty distortion at like 3:35 sounds more like a Aphex Twin cut to me than NIN. Right now I think Where Is Everybody? is probably the track that blows my dick off the farthest. I dunno if I'm just noticing/appreciating this version of the song way more without being able to focus on the vocals so much or if it's actually way more interesting than the original. That fuckin' crunchy sweeping synth(?) lead throughout the verse and whatever the gently caress you'd call that kinda classic analogy Moog effect in the chorus sound so absurdly sick.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've always loved the music for "Where Is Everybody" even though the lyrics aren't too good.

"Somewhat Damaged" is pretty compelling as an instrumental too. Aside from the fact that there's some extra stuff at the end. There's enough going on instrumentally that it doesn't sound conspicuously empty (like "We're In This Together" does). I also found "The Great Below" very striking -- the arrangement in the chorus is just so lush.

Not that the idea of this release is to be better than the original, of course. Just different.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Minidust posted:

[*]At 3000x3000 pixels, the included album art is too large to work on iPhones. I reduced mine to 1000x1000 and re-added in iTunes, after which it appeared to work fine.

Goddammit so that was it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I've always loved the music for "Where Is Everybody" even though the lyrics aren't too good.

yeah that one has some really good work by Adrian Belew

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
loving New York

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

More specifically:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

wouldnt it be nice if trent stuck around nyc for a week playing all the old records at small shows again

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Can't believe DJ Heather got such low billing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ah yes garbage island in the middle of summer, sounds like a great time

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That lineup is insane :monocle:

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

So I'd guess there'll be a new nin project before then?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

You lot see that Pitchfork did a complete 180 from that infamously scathing 2.0 review they did back in 1999. Admittedly, Pitchfork's reviews were far more self-indulgent and elitist in those early years and DiCrescenzo apparently had a deep seated hatred for Nine Inch Nails. I think Pitchfork evolved as an entity since The Fragile release as well. Anyway, review sites are arguably dumb and just out to pimp whatever flavor they deem hot.

Context: Given the new EP several listens, and it does not suck. I think "Burning Bright (Field on Fire)" might be my favorite thing he's done in a bit. Such a wonderful thing, that track. Here's hoping for a proper major tour.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Pitchfork have been way kinder to Trent since he made clear he liked them

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

hatelull posted:

Context: Given the new EP several listens, and it does not suck. I think "Burning Bright (Field on Fire)" might be my favorite thing he's done in a bit. Such a wonderful thing, that track. Here's hoping for a proper major tour.
It doesn't suck but it's not very memorable to me. I honestly forgot I bought it. Although it's superficially different sounding from HM, I think there's a similar samey-ness to the tracks. I still have hope for the next LP but I'm fully resigned that it will probably be the same "pleasant but a bit forgettable" level as recent NIN.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Pitchfork hated the new EP fwiw

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/arts/music/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-ken-burns-vietnam.html

quote:

Yet when the long-form filmmaker Ken Burns (“The Civil War,” “Baseball”) approached Mr. Reznor’s manager more than three years ago about an even more ambitious project — scoring his 10-part, 18-hour documentary about the Vietnam War — the musicians gamely added it to their pile of disparate responsibilities.

“I don’t think he finished the sentence before I said, ‘Yeah, we’re in,’” Mr. Reznor recalled in an interview. “That’s a no-brainer.”

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:stare:

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
You can hear some of it in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eHOwwdfyDc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched Patriots Day and the score was pretty low-key and unexciting and not worth watching the movie for (among other reasons you shouldn't watch that movie), but THAT is something I am totally going to watch for the historical value and the Reznor score will be a nice bonus on top of that.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I'm especially excited at the idea of reworking existing albums and scores for bits of this project.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

quote:

We could take a break from the end of the world by going into a terrorist bombing, or take a break from that by making an ‘I want to kill myself’ album
Oh TR. :allears:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://www.yahoo.com/music/trent-r...-222940245.html

quote:

I don’t see any Princes emerging on the scene today. I see a lot of people making formulaic, made to please, vegan restaurant patron-type s***. And I think it creates an environment where people are too f***in’ worried about what other people have to say. And people who have never made anything think it’s OK to talk s*** about stuff they have no right to talk about. You got a Facebook account? Nobody gives a f***. You haven’t achieved anything.

quote:

Will you follow up with a full-length Nine Inch Nails record this year?

REZNOR: We’re working on new stuff now, so we’re planning to release more stuff as soon as it’s ready, and I don’t think that’s this year.

Nine Inch Nails is scheduled to play the Panorama Festival on July 30 in New York. Will you be touring in 2017?

REZNOR: No, nothing is planned right now.

Are you still making music for How to Destroy Angels?

REZNOR: You will see more How to Destroy Angels. It’s in the works.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Oh and Patriots Day is streaming if you are into disappointment.

http://pitchfork.com/news/70713-listen-to-trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-new-patriots-day-soundtrack/

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Bummer. I thought we'd see a new album this year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Earwicker posted:

ah yes garbage island in the middle of summer, sounds like a great time

My sister went to Bonnaroo and Gov Ball and they both sounded loving miserable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Do they still release the multi tracks? I kinda wanna take them and just boost the vocal tracks for the new ep.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I hope so. Hadn't thought about that in years but I remember when GarageBand first came out and Trent released several tracks in that format to be remixed at his request. There were even country remixes that came out at the time IIRC.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
He hasn't released multitracks for anything on Hesitation Marks, so maybe he's not into it anymore. Or he's just too busy doing a million soundtracks and whatever he does for Apple.

I think the last thing he released multitracks for was How To Destroy Angels "A Drowning".

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
Getting a serious Clint Mansell Moon soundtrack vibe from Them and Us from the Patriots day soundtrack. Good poo poo.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
he should just make another few ghosts albums every time he opens his mouth its just embarrassing now

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Mr. Unlucky posted:

he should just make another few ghosts albums every time he opens his mouth its just embarrassing now

Except that he's right, given that this day and age a new band like NIN would never reach arena status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVomact
Dec 29, 2008
Any word on when the vinyl might ship beyond "Spring" ?