Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Namaer posted:

Honestly tying phasers into the warp engine seems like an awful idea, in any fire fight its warp power that gets knocked out first.

Which is exactly what Kirk tells Scotty in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's probably that the warp engine produces enough power to properly gently caress up another ship.

Like how the engine in a plane powers the electronics, mostly.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Which is exactly what Kirk tells Scotty in the book.

Is this before or after Kirk asks Ilia, "Have you ever sexed with a human?"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Timby posted:

Is this before or after Kirk asks Ilia, "Have you ever sexed with a human?"

I googled that quote and it looks like that's only the tip of the iceberg.

quote:

Harold Livingston wrote the first draft. As usual, Roddenberry rewrote it. “Then he brought it in,” Livingston says, “gave it to us in a bright orange cover, and there it is: In Thy Image, screenplay by Gene Roddenberry and Harold Livingston.

He took first position. We all read it and I was appalled, and so was everyone else. We sat around looking at each other and somebody said, ‘Who’s going to tell him it’s a piece of s—t?’”

The draft was marked November 7, 1977. Roddenberry’s opening scene: Kirk and a lady friend skinny-dipping. Starfleet hails. But Kirk is distracted when his girlfriend pulls him underwater. After a beat he surfaces, responds to the hail, and says, “I was attacked by an underwater creature.” There is more. The crew of the Enterprise is sent to investigate a mysterious probe heading towards Earth. In one scene, “shapely female yeomans check out the young and inexperienced Xon, straight out of the Academy and the new science officer, and ask him about pon farr,”

Admiral Kirk tells another new member of the crew, the empathic Ilia from the planet Delta, “I know that Deltan females are not wanton, hairless whores.” At this Ilia laughs and says, “On my world, existence is loving, pleasuring, sharing, caring.” Kirk asks, “Have you ever sexed with a human?”

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I would have preferred that movie.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
They reused the Bird of Prey explosion in from ST:VI in Generations. That poo poo was lazy, I can't imagine they didn't have a budget on the first TNG movie to blow up another BoP

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

They reused the Bird of Prey explosion in from ST:VI in Generations. That poo poo was lazy, I can't imagine they didn't have a budget on the first TNG movie to blow up another BoP

Yeah, but then that would knock our old-time sailing ship count down to zero.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheBigAristotle posted:

I can't imagine they didn't have a budget on the first TNG movie to blow up another BoP

They really didn't. Generations was made for only a few million dollars more than Star Trek VI, with a not-insignificant amount of above-the-line costs -- the entire series cast had to be signed to a film contract, they had to fork out $6 million for Shatner, they had some pretty expensive set pieces like the crash sequence, a lot of expensive location shooting, the Enterprise-D bridge needed to be redressed, they had to haul the six-foot model out of storage and restore it and rewire it, Zimmerman botched the initial build of Stellar Cartography, they wasted a ton of money on new uniforms that didn't get used, so on and so forth, production was compressed to 50 days (for comparison, The Undiscovered Country took 55) ... they really didn't have much left over, and it took a huge fight with Paramount to get additional money to re-shoot the ending. Even the battle itself is pretty limited -- I think there are only three, maybe four exterior shots of actual combat and the rest is just the bridge and engineering reacting to damage.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 6, 2017

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Just finished Voyage Home, loved it, best of Trek so far. All seven main cast members had multiple moments that let them shine, with a slight exception of Takei. Really got the tone of Star Trek perfect, the optimism and adventurism, and was exciting even without a villain. Just seeing the cast work together to solve a problem felt like an extended version of a great TOS episode. I also appreciated Spock's arc coming to a close, fully reconciling with his Vulcan and Human halves, as well as reconciling with his father. I'm about to watch Final Frontier and then Undiscovered Country, and I hope they don't retread all of that again because Voyage Home really cemented who Spock was as a character by it's close.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Final Frontier is pretty dumb, but Undiscovered Country is pretty well written and stands on its own. It's too bad they mangled the plot somewhat compared to the VHS release but it's still really good.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 6, 2017

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Jesus christ I'm five minutes into Final Frontier and why does this horse have poo poo glued to it's head, why can't it just be a horse.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Namaer posted:

I'm about to watch Final Frontier and then Undiscovered Country, and I hope they don't retread all of that again because Voyage Home really cemented who Spock was as a character by it's close.
So, about The Final Frontier...

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Kirk climbing this mountain is more unbelievable to me then anything I've ever seen in Star Trek.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I want a space marshmallow machine

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Also I guess contemporary denim and t-shirt slogans make a comeback in the 23rd century.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

The woman playing the Romulan is really the worst.

edit: Takei's berry is gone

edit2: I wish this campfire scene would turn into the one from Blazing Saddles

Namaer fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 6, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Namaer posted:

Kirk climbing this mountain is more unbelievable to me then anything I've ever seen in Star Trek.

https://youtu.be/HU2ftCitvyQ

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This also qualifies for that one goon asking about funny Star Trek stuff.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

They really didn't. Generations was made for only a few million dollars more than Star Trek VI, with a not-insignificant amount of above-the-line costs -- the entire series cast had to be signed to a film contract, they had to fork out $6 million for Shatner, they had some pretty expensive set pieces like the crash sequence, a lot of expensive location shooting, the Enterprise-D bridge needed to be redressed, they had to haul the six-foot model out of storage and restore it and rewire it, Zimmerman botched the initial build of Stellar Cartography, they wasted a ton of money on new uniforms that didn't get used, so on and so forth, production was compressed to 50 days (for comparison, The Undiscovered Country took 55) ... they really didn't have much left over, and it took a huge fight with Paramount to get additional money to re-shoot the ending. Even the battle itself is pretty limited -- I think there are only three, maybe four exterior shots of actual combat and the rest is just the bridge and engineering reacting to damage.

I stand corrected. Interesting stuff.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I tried watching Star Trek Insurrection because my dad had it on and I had to walk away because I was coming up with too many things to question and complain about in this thread.

The whole "beep boop androids do not play" thing was dumb as hell, although the boob joke would have been funny if it was early-TNG Data and not post-series Data.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Namaer posted:

Why is he climbing the mountain?

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Why is a stunt double climbing the mountain is the real question. Also just saw Uhura's dance and Spock neck pinching a horse. This is a really dumb movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Final Frontier owns, gently caress all y'all. :colbert:

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I think I spotted the first toilet in Star Trek

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think we discussed this before but they made new uniforms for Generations but they tested like crap so they had to reuse some of the actual DS9 uniforms

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kibbles n Shits posted:

marshmelon

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think we discussed this before but they made new uniforms for Generations but they tested like crap so they had to reuse some of the actual DS9 uniforms

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

owns

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I googled that quote and it looks like that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah that is all consistent with Roddenberry's writing style and I believe that quote is straight out of that 50-Year Voyage two-book set that everyone in this thread should own if they are interested in Star Trek at all.

Livingston hated Roddenberry and pretty much all of their interactions are hilarious. The TMP production was a total nightmare because of Roddenberry, the general sentiment that TMP should be a "serious" space opera and NOT AT ALL HUMOROUS, and some poor decision-making as far as hiring effects people.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Why is the Klingon word for kellicam not kellicam?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Timby posted:

The Final Frontier owns, gently caress all y'all. :colbert:

I like it a lot. It's goofy, but fun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dont even fink about it posted:

Yeah that is all consistent with Roddenberry's writing style and I believe that quote is straight out of that 50-Year Voyage two-book set that everyone in this thread should own if they are interested in Star Trek at all.

Livingston hated Roddenberry and pretty much all of their interactions are hilarious. The TMP production was a total nightmare because of Roddenberry, the general sentiment that TMP should be a "serious" space opera and NOT AT ALL HUMOROUS, and some poor decision-making as far as hiring effects people.

Return to Tomorrow, by Preston Neal Jones, is a nearly 700-page book about literally every aspect of TMP's production. It's amazing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

quote:

But Kirk is distracted when his girlfriend pulls him underwater. After a beat he surfaces, responds to the hail, and says, “I was attacked by an underwater creature.”

As dumb as the rest of this is, I could see Kirk doing this and I think it's kinda funny.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Namaer posted:

It seems like Wrath of Kahn almost completely ignored The Motion Picture, WoK begins with having to finagle the crew back on the Enterprise after TMP ended with them all there, and there are a lot of the same conversations about Kirk wanting to be a captain instead of an admiral. Was there a lot of hate for TMP after it's release that made them reset everyone again?

A little late, but TMP and WoK are separated in universe by about 10 years or so. That's why there was the change in uniforms and the crew is all over the place when WoK starts.

In the real world reasons were their budget was cut down to like a fourth of the previous movie and they realized TMP uniforms sucked + Nick Meyer wanted to make them look more militaristic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MisterBibs posted:

As dumb as the rest of this is, I could see Kirk doing this and I think it's kinda funny.

I thought Christmas only came once a year!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Kibbles n Shits posted:

$15 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sta...vIAAOSwB09YONCM

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Not movie accurate, has a Kraft logo, 1/5

edit: just got to "what does god need with a starship?", completely redeemed the movie

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Namaer posted:

edit: just got to "what does god need with a starship?", completely redeemed the movie

I challenge anyone to come up with a better Kirk moment.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Namaer posted:

I think I spotted the first toilet in Star Trek

Ahahaha these entries exist

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bathroom

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That specific sexy bathtub bit is too much a Bond bit, which is probably what Gene wanted the film to be like.