Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pokeyman posted:

I think this got fixed, or at least a similar issue for (un)bookmarking a thread. I'll double-check the fix is applied to mark-unread too.

I'm 99% confident I fixed/tested all the ways this dialog could appear, but it went in even after the latest beta so no one but me has it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

carry on then posted:

I'm 99% confident I fixed/tested all the ways this dialog could appear, but it went in even after the latest beta so no one but me has it right now.

Latest beta should have it. Version 3.21 (32101).

Probably why I'm not seeing any problems :D

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you click on the little V in the bottom-right of an embedded Vimeo video, you can open the Vimeo page inside of the Awful app.

https://vimeo.com/196413220

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

If you click on the little V in the bottom-right of an embedded Vimeo video, you can open the Vimeo page inside of the Awful app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

anthonypants posted:

Another site to set up hijack prevention for. I'll look into it.

e: actually, is there _ever_ a situation where we want a link that isn't on somethingawful.com to be able to take over the webview? Maybe there's a way we can just whitelist links to other parts of the forums...

carry on then fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 20, 2016

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I didn't click on anything and visiting this page in Awful lead to a full screen website that wasn't SA. I can't think of any reason this should be allowed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I really like the keyboard extension for Awful, but it doesn't seem to have :getin: or :frogon: or :frogout: which makes me sad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 24, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I really dig this app and you guys always say I can't donate since it's a collaborative effort is there a dumb emoji I can buy y'all

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I really like the keyboard extension for Awful, but it doesn't seem to have :getin: or :frogon: or :frogout: which makes me sad.

It has something to do with frogs and racism. Frog racism if you want.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Well, pokeyman could take Apple S&P's word for it that it's too close to the ruined Pepe character, or he could try to explain that it's an odd inside joke five times removed from a softcore video from almost a decade ago, and you can imagine how chill they'd be about that (it'd be hypocritical as all hell given what they do let through, but it's not like there's an alternative app store on unbroken iOS).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
From now on you should assume that someone posting any kind of frog cartoon on the internet is a nazi.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

So what happened to cause the emoticon keyboard to get so small? It used to be twice as tall but now you can only see just one or two rows which makes it frustrating to scroll through.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

withak posted:

From now on you should assume that someone posting any kind of frog cartoon on the internet is a nazi.

Even day boi? :cry:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So my app is crashing probably 80% of the times I post and then it's a 50/50 shot if that post makes it, is the app trying to tell me something?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Even day boi? :cry:

Oh poo poo what up

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

theflyingexecutive posted:

So my app is crashing probably 80% of the times I post and then it's a 50/50 shot if that post makes it, is the app trying to tell me something?

Try logging out of the app and back in again

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Came here to post the "Mark Thread Unread" bug since I finally remembered to take a screenshot, but it looks like it's well in hand.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Posting to remind myself later: the PostsPageSettingsView can't be dismissed on an iPhone 7 Plus in landscape. It also looks real bad. Oops.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Marking posts as read takes a long time. 15+ seconds? What's up with that?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Editing this to say never mind, it got disabled in settings somehow along the way

Also is there a way to clear my cache without deleting the app? It's holding 2.6GB right now and that seems awful high...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Editing this to say never mind, it got disabled in settings somehow along the way

Also is there a way to clear my cache without deleting the app? It's holding 2.6GB right now and that seems awful high...

Log out and back in again

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
App has got bad and you should feel bad. Routinely just half loads posts and leaves black spaces.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

app is good here.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Good here, too. Maybe your phone is bad, you are bad, or you are Bum the Sad.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My guess is that it's usually people reading mega threads with a twitter or movie embed every other post that have the problems.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I've had the half-loading issue on occasion before but I assume it's because I'm using a two-year-old phone and a reboot always fixes it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

zen death robot posted:

Superior iPhone 7+ here btw

I also have a 7+ I am not a poor.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

smackfu posted:

My guess is that it's usually people reading mega threads with a twitter or movie embed every other post that have the problems.

I read through the entire OSHA thread on my 7+ and it crashed all the time.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Yeah I get crashes a lot too but it's probably the megathreads I read and not a huge deal. Takes less than two seconds to reopen the app and get back to where I was.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah I get crashes a lot too but it's probably the megathreads I read and not a huge deal. Takes less than two seconds to reopen the app and get back to where I was.

:same:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Only problem I have is not being able to unsubscribe from a thread as it gives me an error. Also sorry I haven't read the thread in a while but is .gifv support coming at some point?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Stare-Out posted:

Only problem I have is not being able to unsubscribe from a thread as it gives me an error. Also sorry I haven't read the thread in a while but is .gifv support coming at some point?

I get this error when I try to mark a thread as unread:

iOS 10.3, 6s, awful 3.20

It does actually mark the thread as unread though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

This app works amazing for me and I love it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Boris Galerkin posted:

I get this error when I try to mark a thread as unread:

iOS 10.3, 6s, awful 3.20

It does actually mark the thread as unread though.

This will be fixed in the next update, idk when pokeyman is planning to push it out though.

As far as the crashes are concerned, unfortunately I haven't been able to chase them down to a single issue, which might mean they're larger and more abstract issues with runaway memory usage that will take some creativity to fix.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

anthonypants posted:

Silly embeds. I'll add it to my list.

carry on then posted:

Another site to set up hijack prevention for. I'll look into it.

e: actually, is there _ever_ a situation where we want a link that isn't on somethingawful.com to be able to take over the webview? Maybe there's a way we can just whitelist links to other parts of the forums...

I feel like there was a reason? Maybe all loads go through the webview's delegate, including images and, well, the embed iframe in the first place? I forget. The trick is that even though it's a tap on a link, it comes to the delegate identified as something other than tapping a link.

`Nemesis posted:

I didn't click on anything and visiting this page in Awful lead to a full screen website that wasn't SA. I can't think of any reason this should be allowed.

I, uh, got nothing. We do load the bottom banner ads, but afaik those are just SA-hosted images and aren't the kind of ads that take over like that. I agree it shouldn't be allowed. Is it still happening?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I really dig this app and you guys always say I can't donate since it's a collaborative effort is there a dumb emoji I can buy y'all

If I think of something I'll let you know!

dont be mean to me posted:

Well, pokeyman could take Apple S&P's word for it that it's too close to the ruined Pepe character, or he could try to explain that it's an odd inside joke five times removed from a softcore video from almost a decade ago, and you can imagine how chill they'd be about that (it'd be hypocritical as all hell given what they do let through, but it's not like there's an alternative app store on unbroken iOS).

To be fair, this might lead to a debate with App Review over whether anal penetration is "softcore", which sounds delightful.

Rex-Goliath posted:

So what happened to cause the emoticon keyboard to get so small? It used to be twice as tall but now you can only see just one or two rows which makes it frustrating to scroll through.

Great question! Been wondering that myself. I'm pretty sure I followed directions for how to set the height of a custom keyboard, but it was always kinda hosed up, so I'm not super surprised that it's busted. I'll add it to my list.

carry on then posted:

Posting to remind myself later: the PostsPageSettingsView can't be dismissed on an iPhone 7 Plus in landscape. It also looks real bad. Oops.

I'll tack it on to my list too.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Marking posts as read takes a long time. 15+ seconds? What's up with that?

Not sure. Forums fuckery?

carry on then posted:

This will be fixed in the next update, idk when pokeyman is planning to push it out though.

As far as the crashes are concerned, unfortunately I haven't been able to chase them down to a single issue, which might mean they're larger and more abstract issues with runaway memory usage that will take some creativity to fix.

Pretty sure it was a lovely memory leak I found in the HTML parsing library (which mostly I wrote, whoops!). It's fixed in the update I just released.

As an aside, either I'm missing the "your app has been approved" messages or something's hosed up, because that's the second consecutive release that I've found sitting in iTunes Connect as "Pending Developer Release" and I only noticed when I thought to manually check. So this version probably could've been out a week ago. Sorry!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Is there a way to set the max cache size for the app? About a week ago I noticed I was out of space on my 16gb iPad Air and went to the storage utilized bit of iOS and saw Awful,was using 1.77gb of space. Nuked it and reinstalled as I didn't think to log out.

Now I'm seeing Awful creep from initially 85mb to almost 200mb over the course of about a week. Anything that I can do? Is this an isolated incident?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Alright, so yesterday I started having issues with trying to post from my phone- whenever I tried, it would tell me "preview post not found". Today I woke up to find that it had logged me out for no apparent reason- this is fine, except that now I can't log in again. It repeatedly gives me the error that my username or password is wrong- but I know they're not wrong, because I double checked by logging in both on my desktop and on my phone using Safari. Is this a known issue/is there a fix?

It's an iPhone 6S running iOS 8.4(not updated because of jailbreak). I've never had this issue before and I've been running this setup unchanged for like a year and a half now. I have Awful app v. 3.21, which I ~think~ is the latest version- at least there's nothing more recent in the app store. I haven't even installed any new apps or updated a jailbreak or anything like that recently.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Luneshot posted:

Alright, so yesterday I started having issues with trying to post from my phone- whenever I tried, it would tell me "preview post not found". Today I woke up to find that it had logged me out for no apparent reason- this is fine, except that now I can't log in again. It repeatedly gives me the error that my username or password is wrong- but I know they're not wrong, because I double checked by logging in both on my desktop and on my phone using Safari. Is this a known issue/is there a fix?

It's an iPhone 6S running iOS 8.4(not updated because of jailbreak). I've never had this issue before and I've been running this setup unchanged for like a year and a half now. I have Awful app v. 3.21, which I ~think~ is the latest version- at least there's nothing more recent in the app store. I haven't even installed any new apps or updated a jailbreak or anything like that recently.

Step one is to stop pirating apps and update your phone. If it still doesn't work after that, then you might have something.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Luneshot posted:

lol you jailbreak 😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I thought we required iOS 9 for recent versions of Awful, since we've been upconverting the Swift code as each release of that language comes out. Pokeyman?

• Locked thread