Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Finster Dexter posted:

Well, you're gonna have to clench your buttcheecks a bit more because there really isn't going to be any stock for another week or two.

Yep. My local store says they are being quoted by distribution for product delivery on Jan 12. Maybe we'll see something like that timeline for the big online retailers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Yep. My local store says they are being quoted by distribution for product delivery on Jan 12. Maybe we'll see something like that timeline for the big online retailers

All stores are being told not to distribute product until the 19th. Even if they get it on the 12th they won't be able to sell it until the 19th. They could always break street dates if they wanted, but thats a risk. FFG wants everyone to sell it at the same time to prevent scalpers buying what they can and reselling online.

In short, about two more weeks. This wave is much bigger than the last one. I know a few distributors are sitting on pallets of the stuff waiting to ship.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ShowTime posted:

All stores are being told not to distribute product until the 19th. Even if they get it on the 12th they won't be able to sell it until the 19th. They could always break street dates if they wanted, but thats a risk. FFG wants everyone to sell it at the same time to prevent scalpers buying what they can and reselling online.

In short, about two more weeks. This wave is much bigger than the last one. I know a few distributors are sitting on pallets of the stuff waiting to ship.

I guess I don't understand business, because if I was Mr. FFG I'd be telling people to sell the product as soon as they get it so my game doesn't crash and burn. It's frustrating to only have four of us able to play right now because nobody can get so much as a starter deck. I hesitate to hype the game up too much because people just laugh at it when they hear it's going to take two more weeks for them to own anything for it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I guess I don't understand business, because if I was Mr. FFG I'd be telling people to sell the product as soon as they get it so my game doesn't crash and burn. It's frustrating to only have four of us able to play right now because nobody can get so much as a starter deck. I hesitate to hype the game up too much because people just laugh at it when they hear it's going to take two more weeks for them to own anything for it.

Having to wait a few extra weeks for product is not going to kill the game. It basically hasn't even been released yet. You sound like every Reddit poster who thinks just because product isn't around right now people are never going to play the game. People aren't going to quit the game because they have to wait a little bit and people that haven't played yet aren't going to give up trying to play it because they haven't been able to buy anything for it. They'll just keep waiting. If anything, the wait is making people ravenous for product. Which is why FFG is waiting to release the product at the same time everywhere, so those customers don't go online, buy product with inflated prices and then get jaded because they paid more than they should have paid. This game is incredibly popular.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

They blew the launch, for sure.
Either grossly underestimated demand, or overestimated the ability for manufacturing to pull through for them, or both. Not quite Nintendo NES Classic levels of bad, but in the neighborhood of the Wii launch.

The street date stuff is purely anti-secondary market.
If you're FFG, you really hate scalpers.
Say a scalper buys a starter pack at MSRP for $15 and resells it for $30 to someone who desperately wanted it. If the secondary market buyer was willing to spend $30, and were able to buy stuff at MSRP, he might have bought 2 starters or a starter and 5 boosters. That $15 profit that went to the scalper could have been redirected into other SWD products, other FFG products, or other Asmodee hobby products instead.
It's still a failure on their end, because they can't get enough product out there. Their only choice to mitigate it is synchronized releases.

In other news, we had a store event here with the Q1 kit, 27 players. A Padme mill deck went undefeated to take first place. Second place was a dude with 3 stormtroopers and Veers maybe?

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

BJPaskoff posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I understand they don't like the idea of scalpers taking advantage of people, but I'd bet they are losing more potential customers with a lack of stock than from some jackasses inflating the price.
I get that scalpers are taking potential money away from them, but by having nothing to sell them is even worse cause it just turns people off the game entirely.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
You guys really think there's a this massive number of people that are sitting there going "welp, couldn't buy the game in December, guess I give up and just won't play for ~reasons~ when it's available in January." lol

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

You guys really think there's a this massive number of people that are sitting there going "welp, couldn't buy the game in December, guess I give up and just won't play for ~reasons~ when it's available in January." lol

I'd say it's more people who heard about the game and got really into it, only to find out it was not available and subsequently lose interest. Additionally, the issues with stock now will make people unfamiliar with the TCG lifecycle question whether FFG will be able to keep up with demand for future releases. While we all know this isn't true, it might be an issue for some people.

On top of that, the delay gives people the opportunity to realize that pretty much any TCG is expensive as balls, so they might be less likely to make it an impulse buy.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Finster Dexter posted:

It won't kill the game or anything, and if it does take off it'll be no big deal long-term, but it's a real fumble and will hurt overall sales. It's been out and spoiled long enough that plenty of people who wanted to be in on the ground floor won't be in a way that has real impact on the experience, for one thing. They also missed the Christmas season, and gift sales are often get-it-or-lose-it. And collectible games are jealous - if someone gets into a different one in the mean time, they might just fail to ever get into Destiny. Though FFG got lucky here - the other major new collectible game, the Final Fantasy CCG, launched earlier and bungled their launch even more hilariously, so it's more likely Destiny will poach people who might have played that instead, rather than vice versa. Finally, people who can't buy more product are more likely to finish decks via trading or secondary market whereas otherwise they'd potentially just buy more packs. In the long-term the secondary market might get fluid enough that this doesn't represent lost sales for FFG, but in the short term it definitely does, and even something like Magic with a very developed secondary market doesn't have anything like efficient distribution of rare cards.

Again, it's already sold well enough that they'll do another set and support it, and beyond that point the quality of the meta now and with future sets, plus peoples' ability to find games, will determine the future of the game, and those things for now look like they'll be okay. But it doesn't make any sense to say that a fumbled launch is meaningless; it will hurt FFG's bottom line, and might or might not delay the growth of the game in the medium-term, depending in large part on whether this next wave is enough to stabilize stock.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Ultiville posted:

but it's a real fumble and will hurt overall sales.

The only reason anything was a fumble is because it sold ridiculously well overall. Overall sales will be just fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Finster Dexter posted:

Uh yeah, I know of one local shop that already stopped their weekly nights for Destiny because of the shortage and falling interest. The game isn't dead because of it, but it drat sure hurt the launch.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Finster Dexter posted:

The only reason anything was a fumble is because it sold ridiculously well overall. Overall sales will be just fine.

My understanding is that this is untrue, and they had a significant rejection rate in quality control, ie, they wanted to have more product available.

Also, underestimating your market and running out of product is better than overestimating it and having tons of dead inventory, but it's still a mistake, and underestimating it this significantly is certainly a fumble. I even said in my post it's not a long-term worry for the game, but it's absolutely reasonable to call it a mistake on their part.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Uh yeah, I know of one local shop that already stopped their weekly nights for Destiny because of the shortage and falling interest. The game isn't dead because of it, but it drat sure hurt the launch.

So a store is no longer going to support Destiny because they couldn't get enough product in the first month? Not running events now does not equal a dead game. My local store also isn't running events right now and is waiting for product to become more readily available. When it does, they'll start running events.

We are talking about weeks of unavailability, not months or years. People are willing to wait a few weeks. It also helps that it coincided with the holiday season, which means people were already doing other things. I can't think of a single other product that was harmed by a delay of a few weeks. The only game I can think of that had a problem with product availability at release was Dice Masters, and it was most popular when the second set came out. The first set was very hard to find and it only got more popular. I ran a WizKids Open right when it came out, so i'm pretty familiar with it.

Clearly enough people are still playing the game and FFG is still promoting it heavily. This is their CCG/TCG. They have spent more money marketing destiny than they have spent on any other game.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Ultiville posted:

My understanding is that this is untrue, and they had a significant rejection rate in quality control, ie, they wanted to have more product available.

Also, underestimating your market and running out of product is better than overestimating it and having tons of dead inventory, but it's still a mistake, and underestimating it this significantly is certainly a fumble. I even said in my post it's not a long-term worry for the game, but it's absolutely reasonable to call it a mistake on their part.

If there really were manufacturing issues, that's a different story, but isn't a failure in their distribution or of the game as a whole, as you seemed to imply.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to lose sight of the fact that this is the best TCG I've played since Magic and I'm just frustrated I can't have more people to play it with. :shobon:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Finster Dexter posted:

If there really were manufacturing issues, that's a different story, but isn't a failure in their distribution or of the game as a whole, as you seemed to imply.

Literally no one said the game was a failure or dead. We said the launch issues hurt it, which is absolutely true.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Literally no one said the game was a failure or dead. We said the launch issues hurt it, which is absolutely true.

Ok, I get that.

I still disagree, for the reasons I already stated, though.

I don't think the game is "hurt".

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't want to lose sight of the fact that this is the best TCG I've played since Magic and I'm just frustrated I can't have more people to play it with. :shobon:

I know your pain dude. I didn't intend to play this game, but went to my new LGS for their X-wing night. I got a Destiny demo just to check it out, and was hooked. I didn't pick up a starter that night since I didn't have enough moey to get two, and didn't want to leave my wife out of the fun. A week later I came back with a ton of magic cads to sell, got $200 in store credit, and found out that they ran out of starters. I spent the week thinking "oh, it's a new store they won't run out." I've only gotten 5 packs so far and just need a couple starters to really get going.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

BJPaskoff posted:

I hear ya. Supply should stabilize in a few weeks, I guess.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

Ok, I get that.

I still disagree, for the reasons I already stated, though.

I don't know what to tell you, then. In my store alone there are at least significant double digit boxes of sales we would have made over the holidays that did not occur because of a lack of supply. For all the reasons I already outlined, some of those sales are lost. If you disagree with that, you just don't understand how the industry works.

On the other hand, if by "hurt" you mean the very narrow definition "makes it more likely the game ceases production in the near future" then no, it wasn't hurt - no one ever stops production because of too much demand. But the way I meant hurt - that it worked to the detriment of the development of the game and community in the short term - it absolutely did. No one should take this as a reason not to get into it or anything like that, it's a great game that all indications are will continue to get support for a long time unless they screw up something more critical or keep screwing this up, which I don't think FFG will do. And they have the bankroll to fund production in the future, so I expect once the initial supply issues get resolved it'll be in fine shape for future releases and long-term availability of Awakenings as long as they want to keep it in print. But there's no reason not to call it an error that did some harm.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Finster Dexter posted:

The problem with this debate is that, like every other debate on the internet, it's debated at the extremes.

Because really I think that the availability issues are going to end up being a blip on the radar. Still, there's no doubt in my mind that there are people who might have been drawn into the game but weren't because there was no stock to demo it for them and who subsequently bought into another game that will take up their hobby time and dollars. That number is probably low but it's still a negative.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

fnordcircle posted:

The problem with this debate is that, like every other debate on the internet, it's debated at the extremes.

Only Sith deal in absolutes!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, I guess I agree and you guys are right that there's definitely an effect, I just don't think it will amount to much over the long term.

Finally got to get some games in at the FLGS. I have a Padme mill deck and a Veers/Jango deck. I really like these decks, but the Padme deck feels like it needs some better control options or something. It got rolled by Qui-gon/Rey. Most of that is I'm still super new and don't even know what I should mulligan for or anything. Had a lot of fun, though.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
My Ackbar/Rey/Padme mill deck is 2-0 against a guy with like, 10 boosters worth of decks, but each time I barely won. So yeah - it's not very good. I could netdeck but it's more fun to win with something I think is my own idea.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

For the supply issues the big question will be how long they persist. One of our reps just told me today that they got in less for this wave than the last, which seems bad. But that was GTS, so it might just be that alliance/ACD went way up in orders and sucked up most of FFG's stock. We will just have to see.

On the subject of control decks, my EPadme/Trooper/Padawan build has been doing really well lately, but it leans on Launch Bay and Falcon a lot. Not only are supports good against Jango, hitting the opponent's hand with big discard effects is really efficient at closing out a game. I'm still glad to have the two Padme dice because her focus 2 side is great, she tends to surivie best because she can take Second Chance, and the incidental mill certainly adds up, but it doesn't feel like it works as well to rely on it as opposed to going heavily defensive and discard based and letting the Padme specials do some chip exhaustion when they come up.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
This dude is going to stream our Destiny tournament today if you guys want to check out a bunch of noobs rolling star wars dice.

Twitch.tv/victoryconditiongaming

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Someone just posted this in the Star Wars: Destiny Facebook group. Is it real?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Every quote i've heard has been the 18th. Saying that, SouthernHobby has solicits that look very close to that. They could very well have gotten it in time to release this week. I do know there are some stores that seemed to have gotten a restock late last week. It's entirely possible. I would contact your local store and make sure you have a preorder.

Edit: Just checked and it is official. So it will be out this Friday.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

By "next wave" they mean "restock of Awakenings" though, right?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

canyoneer posted:

Of course. There's no other products released yet.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

canyoneer posted:

I assume so, but yeah the term "wave" threw me off, too. I'm used to that meaning new expansions for x-wing/armada.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

I assume so, but yeah the term "wave" threw me off, too. I'm used to that meaning new expansions for x-wing/armada.

It's because they are releasing Awakening in 4 shipments, or waves. They initially let distributors know of the delay sometime around late Nov, when the launch was planned. They said that they didn't anticipate the length of the manufacturing process and that affected their release. So they were going to push it out in waves. This is the 3rd wave of 4.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ShowTime posted:

It's because they are releasing Awakening in 4 shipments, or waves. They initially let distributors know of the delay sometime around late Nov, when the launch was planned. They said that they didn't anticipate the length of the manufacturing process and that affected their release. So they were going to push it out in waves. This is the 3rd wave of 4.

Yeah, I'm aware, it's just that my brain is used to processing "wave" differently wrt to FFG Star Wars (and I assume the same is true for canyoneer)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, I'm aware, it's just that my brain is used to processing "wave" differently wrt to FFG Star Wars (and I assume the same is true for canyoneer)

:same:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
FFG bumped the street date up to this Friday, the 13th. If your FLGS tends to be slow on the draw, tell them to talk to their distributors! I got boosters and starters en route from FFG direct, and ACD is shipping my allocation tomorrow for a Friday release.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
Sounds like my LGSs are getting some stock in this week! The hype is real.

Is it too excessive to buy multiple starters? I was thinking I'd get one of each but theoretically I have 2 already on the way. I keep hearing 2 Reys is a good idea.

Also a buddy of mine just mailed me a tournament tray he's making batches of. Pretty sure he's taking orders if anyone is interested but I mostly just thought it looked cool.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

brother-joseph posted:

Is it too excessive to buy multiple starters? I was thinking I'd get one of each but theoretically I have 2 already on the way. I keep hearing 2 Reys is a good idea.

Two of each is a good idea if you use a blue deck or are a completionist. Each Rey deck has only one die of both Finn and Force Throw, and the Kylo deck has one Mind Probe. Both Force Throw and Mind Probe are killer cards in the right deck, so they are generally considered worth the cost of the deck by themselves (not to mention they run ~$14 each on the singles market currently). Finn is decent too, though I haven't seem much need to have an elite Finn unless you're just trying to use up excess points you can't put elsewhere.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

FWIW, you get two Rey dice in a single starter, so if all you are wanting is eRey, you only need one starter.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm hoping Miniature Market gets theirs on the 13th. I got a booster box preordered with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

I was able to finally make it to a tournament. My eVader/Raider deck came in second out of eight to an ePhasma/Trooper/Trooper, thanks to my inability to roll any damage. Even with my terrible damage rolls, it still came down to the wire; if I'd had ONE more action, Phasma would have been out.

Super fun though. I'm already planning some changes for the next local tournament on Friday.