Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Michael Corleone posted:

I thought it was OK, nothing great, but it takes place in Cleveland. I have seen a lot of these lower budget flicks taking place here, pretty cool I guess.

I think it's more than OK - I think Schraeder did a good job showing that he can run laps around most filmmakers trying to pull a "neo-noir" nowadays.

It's also the perfect double feature option for The Trust - which is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is Mr. Robot S2 streaming anywhere?

How about the second season of Better Call Saul?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

How about the second season of Better Call Saul?

If Breaking Bad and the first season of BCS are any indication, Netflix will put the second season up a week or two before AMC begins showing the third season, which is going to be sometime in the spring.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Shageletic posted:

Is Mr. Robot S2 streaming anywhere?

Not that I could find

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I assume Amazon Prime will have it at some time before S3.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Thanks for the list, I've been meaning to watch Orphan Black but like, forgot or something.

I watched both seasons of Mr. Robot and I'm not sure I 'get' it, it's wayyy over the top melodramatic (nobody loving talks like that) and taking the unreliable narrator thing to such an extreme is really draining.

Don't forget that you're another voice in his head and he's not sure he really trusts you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

I assume Amazon Prime will have it at some time before S3.

Yeah I made the mistake of buying S1 literally a week before it became free for Prime. :negative:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Looking for something mysterious with a dark atmosphere to watch on this snow day. Doesn't have to be horror on anything but horror is fine. I was thinking the wailing but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for 2.5 hours and subtitles.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
You guys gotta watch Street Trash on Amazon Prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNuuYOrdekE

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

Looking for something mysterious with a dark atmosphere to watch on this snow day. Doesn't have to be horror on anything but horror is fine. I was thinking the wailing but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for 2.5 hours and subtitles.

It's a paid rental, but Amazon has The Eyes of My Mother. It's only about 70 minutes long but fits the "mysterious with a dark atmosphere" description pretty well. My only caveat is that it's still in theaters so the rental is a bit pricey.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is Sideways streaming anywhere? I keep hoping it's going to show up on Netflix or Amazon, but I've had both for years and I don't think it ever has.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

veni veni veni posted:

Have you seen Cold in July? It's a noir-ish mystery that takes place in Texas in the 80's. A guy shoots a burglar in his home and the dead guy's father comes after him and it goes from there. There's much more too it but I don't want to give anything away. Stars Michael C Hall, Don Johnson, and Sam Shepard. Also has one of those synth scores that are pretty trendy.

Note lots of this movie takes place during the day time so it's very dark in tone and subject matter but not necessarily in the literal sense.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Baronash posted:

Is Sideways streaming anywhere? I keep hoping it's going to show up on Netflix or Amazon, but I've had both for years and I don't think it ever has.

Free on Vudu, it does have ads though and I haven't streamed through them so I can't say if it's good quality but hey, free.

Also, on Netflix, we got Uwe Boll's last and third Rampage movie, the first two are ridiculous and dumb but oh so entertaining.

Aaaand the Indiana Jones movies are on Hulu and Prime.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Rewatching the 70s/80s Supermans for the first time in maybe 20 years and maaaan, are these some weird movies. Like everything about them seems so peculiar, from the structure and pacing to the casting choices to the stories themselves. I'm simultaneously impressed by the technical merit and put off by the folksy misogyny and that bit about time travel. Like, that was stupid even in 1978, right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

It's a paid rental, but Amazon has The Eyes of My Mother. It's only about 70 minutes long but fits the "mysterious with a dark atmosphere" description pretty well. My only caveat is that it's still in theaters so the rental is a bit pricey.

Human Tornada posted:

Have you seen Cold in July? It's a noir-ish mystery that takes place in Texas in the 80's. A guy shoots a burglar in his home and the dead guy's father comes after him and it goes from there. There's much more too it but I don't want to give anything away. Stars Michael C Hall, Don Johnson, and Sam Shepard. Also has one of those synth scores that are pretty trendy.

Note lots of this movie takes place during the day time so it's very dark in tone and subject matter but not necessarily in the literal sense.

Both of these sound dope and I'll check them out this weekend. I actually love "Still in theaters" rental stuff so that's always a welcome suggestion.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

fishtobaskets posted:

Rewatching the 70s/80s Supermans for the first time in maybe 20 years and maaaan, are these some weird movies. Like everything about them seems so peculiar, from the structure and pacing to the casting choices to the stories themselves. I'm simultaneously impressed by the technical merit and put off by the folksy misogyny and that bit about time travel. Like, that was stupid even in 1978, right?

The trick about the time travel isn't that Superman's going back in time by spinning the world backwards, he's spinning the film itself backwards.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Maltose posted:

The trick about the time travel isn't that Superman's going back in time by spinning the world backwards, he's spinning the film itself backwards.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

fishtobaskets posted:

Which casting choices did you find peculiar? From the big names (Brando, Hackman, and Reeve -- as an aside, pretty funny that the guy playing the title character and who is on screen 90% of the film gets third billing, but then again he was an unknown and going up against two of the biggest of the era) to the smaller roles like Jackie Cooper and Glenn Ford, I think they all work pretty well.

And just to mention it, the opening title sequence for the first film is one of the best ever, and that first sequence where Superman saves Lois in the helicopter is pretty darn awesome as well.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I should explain that by peculiar, I don't necessarily mean bad. I thought Cooper & Reeves were pitch perfect. Brando was so weird in what was barely more than a cameo. He brought so much gravitas to Jor-El. Beatty was an odd choice too considering his resume to that point included Network and Deliverance. Playing a bumbling sidekick after this performance was an interesting career turn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuBe93FMiJc

Hackman, Kidder, and Perrine all felt a bit off too based on their resumes but nothing I can point to specifically.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

1978 Superman is still the greatest superhero movie ever filmed, and I will fight anyone who thinks otherwise.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Superman II is the theatrical cut, right? I suppose that's the one I have nostalgia for since it was on TV multiple times when I was little, but is the Donner Cut or whatever it's called worth watching?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Enos Cabell posted:

1978 Superman is still the greatest superhero movie ever filmed, and I will fight anyone who thinks otherwise.

Agreed. Everything about the film feels big and classic. It's the perfect representation of superman. I actually like 2 for the most part too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My favorite one as a kid was 4. Kids have good taste :v:

I still just think "oh hey the guy from Superman 4" when I see John Cryer

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was Richard Pryor based on anybody from the comics? Was he adapted into the comics, like how kryptonite came from the radio show?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Superman II is the theatrical cut, right? I suppose that's the one I have nostalgia for since it was on TV multiple times when I was little, but is the Donner Cut or whatever it's called worth watching?

I think the Donner Cut is interesting only in comparison to the theatrical cut. For the most part it adds Brando back in whenever Lara appeared. This has the advantage of continuing the themes of Supes rejecting his father's guidance from the end of Superman I. However, other things that change muddy the story of the Kryptonians. It's supposed to make them more dangerous and less funny but it only serves the latter. In retrospect, I think the funny bits make Zod more campy. He wouldn't nearly be so endearing with all his Kneels without that camp. Oh and it also removes the weird kiss at the end of the theatrical cut and doesn't end with Supes dropping Zod and co. into bottomless pits. If you care about your Superman not killing off his enemies, that's a plus.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Encino Man is on Netflix and it's legit good. Holds up very well. I'm afraid I might be going down a Pauly Shore rabbit hole though

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Encino Man is on Netflix and it's legit good. Holds up very well. I'm afraid I might be going down a Pauly Shore rabbit hole though

So does Son-in-Law, after that though you're just risking it (although Bio-Dome has its fans).

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Welp, visiting Canada made me realize that US Netflix really is laughable garbage. There are actually good, current movies and tv shows on Canadian Netflix and I can't even begin to understand how the US service is so lovely by comparison.

Semi-related: The SyFy show Van Helsing is loving terrible, holy christ.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

david_a posted:

The Donner Cut is worth watching as an artifact of history, but it uses so much of the stuff that Lester shot, and Lester's shooting style doesn't match with Donner's editing style, resulting in a lot of it feeling off. There are also questions of just how closely Donner was involved in the production of the Donner Cut; Michael Thau, basically a Donner uber-fan who produced the project and personally did the re-editing, went back and forth on the level of Donner's involvement, and they only started saying he was personally overseeing the re-edit a few months before the DVD was released.

(It wouldn't be the first time that's happened; back when Star Trek: The Motion Picture was re-done as The Director's Edition for its DVD release, David Fein and Mike Matessino swore up and down that they were working hand-in-hand with Robert Wise and that Wise was personally re-cutting the film. Then it turned out that Wise was in terrible health, almost completely homebound, and Fein and Matessino did their re-editing job based on some vague notes Wise had hung onto from 1979 -- and they produced the special features through their own company, Sharpline Arts, so they were able to double-bill for the job.)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Timby posted:

The Donner Cut is worth watching as an artifact of history, but it uses so much of the stuff that Lester shot, and Lester's shooting style doesn't match with Donner's editing style, resulting in a lot of it feeling off. There are also questions of just how closely Donner was involved in the production of the Donner Cut; Michael Thau, basically a Donner uber-fan who produced the project and personally did the re-editing, went back and forth on the level of Donner's involvement, and they only started saying he was personally overseeing the re-edit a few months before the DVD was released.

(It wouldn't be the first time that's happened; back when Star Trek: The Motion Picture was re-done as The Director's Edition for its DVD release, David Fein and Mike Matessino swore up and down that they were working hand-in-hand with Robert Wise and that Wise was personally re-cutting the film. Then it turned out that Wise was in terrible health, almost completely homebound, and Fein and Matessino did their re-editing job based on some vague notes Wise had hung onto from 1979 -- and they produced the special features through their own company, Sharpline Arts, so they were able to double-bill for the job.)

It shows, too, because Wise was an all time great editor and the director's edition is...not an example of that.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

A Clockwork Orange is on Amazon Prime and The Shining is on Netflix, for Kubrick fans.

And for anyone who hasn't seen this, particularly A Clockwork Orange, get on that!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I just got to see The Shining in theatres on 30mm, it owned. They played a Mr Magoo cartoon instead of previews haha. Anyway, the shining is pretty good as far as movies go or whatever

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I went to see dr strandelove at a midnight showing one time and i was pretty excited. Then when it started a bluray menu popped up. Oh well at least the movie is great.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 7, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I just got to see The Shining in theatres on 30mm, it owned. They played a Mr Magoo cartoon instead of previews haha. Anyway, the shining is pretty good as far as movies go or whatever

Check out Room 237 on Netflix, it's a bunch of people ranging from semi-crazy to completely crazy giving their interpretations of The Shining.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I went into Room 237 thinking it was actually going to be an interesting doc on the Shining. I hated it, but I think I might have liked it more if I knew it was basically just a bunch of gawking at crazy people.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Room 237 owns.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah Room 237 is great, I like the guy who starts rambling on about how the moon landing was faked and how the government audits him every year and keeps him under surveillance.

:tinfoil:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zwabu posted:

A Clockwork Orange is on Amazon Prime and The Shining is on Netflix, for Kubrick fans.

And for anyone who hasn't seen this, particularly A Clockwork Orange, get on that!

I remember A Clockwork Orange was one of the first movies on Netflix Streaming when they started doing that as a little extra perk for their main DVD service. I've seen it leave and come back a few times. Come on Netflix, when you gonna make an honest woman of A Clockwork Orange?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

A MIRACLE posted:

Encino Man holds up because it's not a Pauly Shore movie, he's just in it. Go down a Brendan Fraser or Sean Astin rabbit hole instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

he was my favorite part tho