Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

e: been playing with my tape measure some. Apparently my femurs are a little on the short side even though I'm 6'1. 17.5 inches. No wonder I never liked wide stance squats. I always put my heels almost right at shoulder width with toes pointing maybe 15 degrees if I'm going for what feels best. Hopefully this switch to high bar will work out better for me. I always tried to set up my squats starting strength style for the most part before I just started doing it the way that felt best. If I put my heels out wider than shoulder width and squat low bar, I'd always butt wink right at parallel. I thought my flexibility just sucked but recently found out I can go a good bit lower with a neutral spine if I squat shoulder width/high bar.
I have 23" femurs at 6'1 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I'm already dreading leg day at the gym tomorrow, I'm beginning to think I'm overtraining.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

E_P posted:

Legs today. 495x2 squat then dropped down to 315x8x3. There was a girl very impatiently waiting on the rack while I was squating, it looked like she really wanted to ask me how much longer I had left but she didnt want to risk trying to speak English so she just kind of did some empty barbell squats next to me passive aggressively to signal intent. She seemed very relieved when I finished like she she just outsmarted all her high school English teachers by moving the foreigner without having to open her mouth. Small wins I suppose.

Finished up with 135 walking lunges, 275 glute extensions (cut a loud fart on my last set but everyone was kind enough to not scowl at me), leg press, leg ext, and a half rear end attempt at some ab work.

How are you able to do so much crap in one day. I do a 3x5 squat and then a 3x12 deadlift for 5/3/1 and then my legs no longer function for the rest of the day. I can't imagine doing any additional leg work after that.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I wouldnt deadlift and squat on the same day nowadays because theyre so taxing on your CNS. Everything else just comes from time, workout seriously for enough years and your recovery will be good enough that you never feel truly satisfied at the end of a workout.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bamhand posted:

How are you able to do so much crap in one day. I do a 3x5 squat and then a 3x12 deadlift for 5/3/1 and then my legs no longer function for the rest of the day. I can't imagine doing any additional leg work after that.
By doing it. Also, having around two reps in the tank after each set helps a lot.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm never going to be strong.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Acceptance is the first step.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

just go to the gym every day and sit in the locker room for 45 minutes, some dudes do that and it seems to help their gains

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
gotta be naked tho

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

bamhand posted:

It's a marathon not a sprint.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

protip: don't compare yourself to other people in terms of progress

definitely compare your pec size though because what else are they for?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

NarkyBark posted:

gotta be naked tho

Only if you have old saggy balls.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

E_P posted:

"It takes a long time to get strong" -famous strong dude who does a ton of roids

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bamhand posted:

You posted a video of you squattin 4 plates.

I remember because I wanted to post some rep zeez joke.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

the most i have ever lifted in my life was 2.5 pl8 for 5 deadlifts and i prob cant even do that anymore cause ive been recovering from an injury. i am weak and will die alone :smith:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
only other dudes care about how strong you are

what is important is how pretty you are :getin:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Zzulu posted:

im also pretty...

ugly :negative:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Khorne posted:

You posted a video of you squattin 4 plates.

I remember because I wanted to post some rep zeez joke.

Strong is one plate more than your 1 rm. Just did 3x5 squats at 285 325 365. Then 3x12 deadlift at 275. Then ended with some ab rolls My back does not exist anymore. I can't imagine doing even more leg or back stuff after that but people seem to just go on and do like 3 more accessory things.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
where did chuck go

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NarkyBark posted:

gotta be naked tho

Went into the locker room, got naked, women start screaming, police arrive.

atrophy bf
Jan 4, 2005

TFLC's most selfless fitness motivator

E_P posted:

look at this cardio bunny

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Zzulu posted:

if you can't squat more than 2x bw than no woman (or man) will ever love you.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

also just loving lol if anyone can lift more than you

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fallows posted:

Accidently bought low fat salami, guess im cutting

this is what i usually get

u get all the salty meat sweat goodness without the guilt

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's nothing wrong with eating fat.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Added a cable extension to my power rack. Enjoying some variation in movements.

Current garage temp: 27F

I dont know about today

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
a customer at work said "u go to the gym?" and idk what gave him that idea. i had my baggiest t-shirt on. did i pick up a box that weighed more than 2 pounds? its been snowing all morning so i didn't gym

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
maybe it was a suggestion

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Fallows posted:

Lmao

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Two girls at the gym today:
One says, "I had like, a big breakfast. It was a piece of toast with peanut butter... but I had, like, two, so that was big."
They then proceed to do ... not even yoga, it was some kind of easy chill 'do some easy push-ups, not stand up and do a few lunges' exercise audio prompt on their phone.

Cut to: me this morning, stumbling into the kitchen on shakey legs, making three eggs over medium and a sandwich roll with a protein shake, trying to forget about the terror that was leg day.

Then me on the other side of the room, practicing karate full-force with burpees between forms (I didn't do the push-ups, practicing karate hosed my elbow up as it was. I can even practice full-force with this arm :negative:)

E: to be fair, they were lame burpees because of leg day yesterday.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Two girls at the gym today:
One says, "I had like, a big breakfast. It was a piece of toast with peanut butter... but I had, like, two, so that was big."
They then proceed to do ... not even yoga, it was some kind of easy chill 'do some easy push-ups, not stand up and do a few lunges' exercise audio prompt on their phone.

Cut to: me this morning, stumbling into the kitchen on shakey legs, making three eggs over medium and a sandwich roll with a protein shake, trying to forget about the terror that was leg day.

Then me on the other side of the room, practicing karate full-force with burpees between forms (I didn't do the push-ups, practicing karate hosed my elbow up as it was. I can even practice full-force with this arm :negative:)

E: to be fair, they were lame burpees because of leg day yesterday.

sometimes i think itd be pretty cool to be a girl but not like in the trans way just not having to force myself to eat so much and having self image problems related to being too big instead of too small

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In my gym there's an area (maybe 20x25 feet? and you need to leave room because peeps walk through there, but anyway) out front with big windows overlooking the pool, peeps use it to put out mats and stretch and poo poo.

Yesterday there's some new peeps.... I haven't quite figured out the dynamic. Either a 55ish-year old guy with two kids in their 20s, or the two younger ones are a married couple. Who knows. Don't care.

Anyway, yesterday the 3 of them have 3 mats fitted together in such a way that they are taking up 80% of the space, and they are doing..... I have no idea? They have a 5lb DB and they hold it up... and start by lying down flat... and they get up off the floor while holding this DB, until they are standing straight with the DB up over their head... then they reverse the process until they are again flat on their backs. And one of their group would do a full rep, and hand off the DB. Over and over.

I did my loving stretches out in the hall, without a mat since they needed 4x12 feet of padding for their... activities.... not really paying attention, just aware that they existed, taking up space.

40 minutes later I am done benching and curling and shoulder extensions, I glance in that direction, and they are still loving there, doing the same loving thing.

Christ.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
sounds like turkish getups? pretty good exercise maybe you should ask them if they can teach you

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

sounds like turkish getups? pretty good exercise maybe you should ask them if they can teach you

And at the same time I could teach them about sharing the space. Hmmm, interesting idea.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

practicing karate full-force

lmao

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Fallows posted:

the gym closes at 3pm on the weekend :(

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
A few nights ago there was this nerdy dude doing full speed Kung Foo on the bag. Like just kicking and jumping at it.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Punching bags are the worst. Its an open invitation for fat dads to take off their shirts and show off their CQB, or nerdy kids to do their crane and tiger style. If it's a public gym there is no matter who it is, or what they're doing, it is ALWAYS cringe inducing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I (besides me thinking I'm not cringe-worthy after 16 years of practicing. But that's a biased opinion) have seen maybe 3 other people who weren't cringe-worthy at the gym I used to go to. The rest were indeed cringe inducing, and sometimes left blood on the bag because they didn't bring gloves and don't know how to punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Paper Diamonds posted:

Punching bags are the worst. Its an open invitation for fat dads to take off their shirts and show off their CQB, or nerdy kids to do their crane and tiger style. If it's a public gym there is no matter who it is, or what they're doing, it is ALWAYS cringe inducing.

There's one girl at my gym that uses the bag correctly and I want her to beat me up real bad.