Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Magic Kingdom is open for an extra hour tonight if any goon are around. We were supposed to close at 10, but certain rides (like Mansion and Pirates, and I think the mountains) will be open until 11, while others will close slowly throughout the hour.

It's confusing as hell, but if you are in MK get some extra stuff done while everyone else thinks the place is shutting down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Tim Whatley posted:

Looks like the famous outdoor margarita kiosk in Mexico is getting themed and expanded upon. All for it!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/01/new-choza-tequila-coming-to-epcot-in-2017-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Anything for an alternative to La Cava

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Reinanigans posted:

Good experience, or bad experience?

BOTH. Disney at capacity is a crazy experience. If you handle your fastpasses right, it's totally do-able and not a nightmare. The only horrible part was the lovely music they were blasting throughout Magic Kingdom. I had a lot of great experiences on NYE, the best one being the VERY LAST PERSON to ride Haunted Mansion!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I was watching videos of the "dance parties" at EPCOt and the worst part seemed to be all the music blaring.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Unmature posted:

BOTH. Disney at capacity is a crazy experience. If you handle your fastpasses right, it's totally do-able and not a nightmare. The only horrible part was the lovely music they were blasting throughout Magic Kingdom. I had a lot of great experiences on NYE, the best one being the VERY LAST PERSON to ride Haunted Mansion!

Yeah the music was a bit annoying, but yeah with fastpasses and staying away from Main Street, NYE was pretty fun.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So DisneyLand is at capacity today, seems weird, it's a Wednesday.

We're going in 10 days, we know it'll be busy, but were not planning on capacity level crowds.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
New elephant born at Animal Kingdom

https://twitter.com/DisneyParks/status/816640830857478144

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
BABY ELEPHAAAAAAAANT

Feeling real psyched about the Safari fastpass reservation I made today

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

skipdogg posted:

So DisneyLand is at capacity today, seems weird, it's a Wednesday.

We're going in 10 days, we know it'll be busy, but were not planning on capacity level crowds.

Maybe Annual Pass blackouts are over?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I also think the holiday crowds are sticking around more than ever before, not sure if that is the case with the Disneyland side, but certainly is here. MK and DHS both extended park hours for the next two or three days, so they are expecting more people than originally anticipated.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Edna Mode posted:

Maybe Annual Pass blackouts are over?

That's what it was. Kids are still out of school and it was the first day some of the annual pass blackouts lifted

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm I reading this right, is the temperature feel going to drop to 30's to 40's at night this weekend at the parks? If so I'm packing my things and hauling rear end over there.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
phone interview with Disney tonight, so nervous :qq:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Quixotic1 posted:

I'm I reading this right, is the temperature feel going to drop to 30's to 40's at night this weekend at the parks? If so I'm packing my things and hauling rear end over there.

Yup, it's gonna be balls rear end cold this weekend

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

I need suggestions. I'm going to be at Universal from Jan 29-Feb 3.

My original plan was to do Universal parks Jan 30-Feb 2 as we have 4 day park to park tickets. Then on Feb 3 we were going to do CityWalk stuff as our plane doesn't leave until 9pm.

The pain in the butt thing now is my flight in on the 29th wasn't supposed to get in until the evening. But now I'm getting at noon. I don't really want to head to the parks and burn one of my days. I don't really have enough money to go to Disney for the day. I don't think I could afford the tickets + food and stuff. So any ideas would what I should do with an 8 year old girl?

I'm debating going to Disney Springs, but I'm not sure.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:woop: Got scheduled for a in person interview :woop:

they said they were supposed to send me some paperwork about what to bring etc, but I didn't get anything immediately; does that come more closer to the time?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Happitoo posted:

My original plan was to do Universal parks Jan 30-Feb 2 as we have 4 day park to park tickets. Then on Feb 3 we were going to do CityWalk stuff as our plane doesn't leave until 9pm.

The pain in the butt thing now is my flight in on the 29th wasn't supposed to get in until the evening. But now I'm getting at noon. I don't really want to head to the parks and burn one of my days. I don't really have enough money to go to Disney for the day. I don't think I could afford the tickets + food and stuff. So any ideas would what I should do with an 8 year old girl?

Does your 8 year old enjoy shopping and really good food?
Alternatively, bring her to the big Disney store to look around and get her a super nice dessert at that place next door (patisserie or something)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Happitoo posted:

Are you going to be on Disney property that day anyway?

Stuff to do on-property that isn't the parks:
- Explore the resort: the theming is always great, and most have a good pool that is often usable even in late January!

- Disney Springs: Food and shopping. Aside from the various Disney shops, there are a few other kid-friendly things there (LEGO store, Ghiradelli shop, etc.). You can also see a movie or go bowling, or explore the somehow not-quite fully decomposed horse that is DisneyQuest.

- Miniature Golf: Seriously, the two courses are the best I've ever played on. Fantasia is very convenient to the Boardwalk area. Winter Summerland is a bit harder to get to, since it requires the Blizzard Beach bus (which runs rarely in the winter if BB is closed).

There's also the Disney outlet if you don't want to stay on property. If I remember correctly, it's right across the highway from Universal.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
It's marathon weekend.. went to the convention and picked up Haunted Mansion themed running shoes for my wife.. I can't wait to see the look on her face since she loves HM.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
/\ those HM shoes are awesome. Wish New Balances fit me.

They just cancelled the half marathon due to expected thunderstorms. Early to call that, especially with how sporadic and rare morning storms are here, but I guess they want to avoid the shitshow that happened at the Wine & Dine race last year. Registered runners get a refund via Disney gift card or transfer their registration to any other 1/2 within 2 years. They're also getting 2 day park hoppers for the cancellation, not a bad consolation gift.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

They just cancelled the half marathon due to expected thunderstorms. Early to call that, especially with how sporadic and rare morning storms are here, but I guess they want to avoid the shitshow that happened at the Wine & Dine race last year. Registered runners get a refund via Disney gift card or transfer their registration to any other 1/2 within 2 years. They're also getting 2 day park hoppers for the cancellation, not a bad consolation gift.

Wife and I are here for it, and the sense from other runners I've talked to is that everyone is pissed. I get it, there's no shelter at the start or most places on the course, and you gotta cancel before people start showing up. It the mood is not good. We will probably defer to next year

Also, you have the choice of: refund in the form of a Disney gift card; two one-day park hopper passes; or deferred entry into another half in the next 24 months

Omne fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 7, 2017

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah i ran the half half Wine and Dine and that was a mess. Guess I'm gonna enjoy my free day off tomorrow.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yikes

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

I'm back a bit late from a New Year's trip to WDW, so put this in your pocket for the next New Year's/4th of July fireworks:

Don't worry about the castle. You've seen that before, or failing that, you can see it some other time when there's not the entire population of Rhode Island in there trying to see it.

We rolled up on MK at about 11 the night of the 31st, got right in, looked around Main Street for a quick minute and then headed right back out to the open area in front of the train station (on the entrance side) to watch the fireworks. No crush of people, no waiting for hours holding our spot, not even really very many people around.

They shoot the same pyro off from behind the Poly that they do from behind the castle, so you get a clear view of that, and when things get crazy at the end, you're literally surrounded by fireworks being shot all around the lake and the park. We could turn completely around and see things exploding everywhere. It's the best place in the park to see that particular type of fireworks show.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Gaston's plaza is my preferred place for watching fireworks. Even on NYE it wasn't very busy and you can run and do 7DMT or Little Mermaid without much wait when the fireworks are done.

Also the main launch area is right behind the Tavern so it feels like the fireworks are exploding right over your head (because they are).

Unmature
May 9, 2008
We watched the NYE fireworks from Tomorrowland for the symbolism and it was perfect. We still had them going off in every direction.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Good thing they cancelled the half marathon. We had a nasty storm rip through right around the scheduled start time. A tree in our neighborhood got split by lightning and scared the poo poo out of my dogs, and we're about 4 miles due west of Animal Kingdom.

I hope those poor marathon runners are prepared for a cold run tomorrow morning, race temps are going to be 35-40 degrees. That's great if you're used to it, but when I ran it last year it was ~63 during the race and people were cold then. People are probably scrambling for hats and gloves right now.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
have any of you guys been to that video game bar near the parks? is it good?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Player 1 Bar? It's great!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i saw it on google maps randomly. im flying in the 16th and driving to my house same day but figured i'd stop some places in the interim (might even stop at Disney World although seems the parks close kind of early those days).

Then on the 20th I have a in person interview :woop: nervous though, they said they were supposed to send me a packet of "what to bring" but never got the e-mail yet :(. Going to have to call them I think!

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 7, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Good thing they cancelled the half marathon. We had a nasty storm rip through right around the scheduled start time. A tree in our neighborhood got split by lightning and scared the poo poo out of my dogs, and we're about 4 miles due west of Animal Kingdom.

I hope those poor marathon runners are prepared for a cold run tomorrow morning, race temps are going to be 35-40 degrees. That's great if you're used to it, but when I ran it last year it was ~63 during the race and people were cold then. People are probably scrambling for hats and gloves right now.

At least I can finally wear my huge jacket collection.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

The HM running shoes are pretty sweet, I really like the detail on them. The outside pattern is the floating eyes and the interior is the wallpaper from inside the ride. On the tongue they have one of the hitchhiking ghosts as well.

The best part.. the loving shoes glow in the dark so you can see the floating eyes at night!

Damned shame they are women's shoes else I would scoop up a pair. Or at least I think they are only women's shoes but they had up to size 13.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Sun came out for the first time today at the park a few minutes before sundown to laugh at the people who came in shorts.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
drat those are some sweet shoes! I don't blame them for canceling, I did a half marathon in a thunderstorm, and it was miserable thanks to the unrelenting rain that creates blisters of hell. (I did PR and apparently I was pregnant, but still. It sucked)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the sun briefly came out then as it departed the cold moved in to say 'eat a dick vacationers'..

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Love me the moment when everybody gets on the trams and turtle-up as they know what's about to happen.

If you saw a guy in a blue jacket and little girl Naruto running in MK to try to keep warm in a dumb way, that wasn't me and my neice.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

demonR6 posted:

The HM running shoes are pretty sweet, I really like the detail on them. The outside pattern is the floating eyes and the interior is the wallpaper from inside the ride. On the tongue they have one of the hitchhiking ghosts as well.

The best part.. the loving shoes glow in the dark so you can see the floating eyes at night!

Damned shame they are women's shoes else I would scoop up a pair. Or at least I think they are only women's shoes but they had up to size 13.

Ho-ly poo poo. How much were they selling for at the expo? I see some on eBay for $200, I'm curious to know what the markup is.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They will set you back about $120 plus tax. My lovely Nike running shoes were close to that and they aren't even that nice. During every marathon when they have the expo, the shoes will be there on sale until they run out.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
next time one of you guys are in germany can you stop and look at the price ranges of the cookoo clocks there? I really want one but if I can just get it cheaper online....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Friend of a friend of a friend posted a photo online of herself wearing a Dopey 2017 medal. Didn't people say the half marathon was canceled this year due to lightning? How could she have run all four events?