Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

chiasaur11 posted:

In previous stuff, that was the Zeon move at the end. The Feds were doing that earlier (The Origin continuity has Tem Ray discussing how kids Amuro's age are getting drafted), but once they had the GM, pilot survivability was good enough they started building up veteran corps. It's listed a lot of places as why the Gelgoog didn't turn the war around, despite it being the first mass produced Gundam level suit. GM pilots were experienced vets, Gelgoog pilots were kids fresh off the streets. The Federation was winning, which is why you got desperation moves like the solar ray.

The "Look! Kids!" thing in Thunderbolt was pretty much just for shock value and moral equivalency, far as I can tell. Not like any of them exactly impacted the plot.

That line is in the original MSG as well and you should watch MS Igloo again if you think it was just Zeon shoving kids in things and telling them to die for their country. Also Missing Link. Even though the GM had a relatively high survivablity rate you have to remember that the Ball was still in use all the way up through ABQ and was a major part of the Fed forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Everyone's responses/advice were helpful, thanks y'all.

Based on how many people in this thread have described ZZ over the years as a slog with an awkward tone shift from hijinks to seriousness midway through, it doesn't sound worth the timesink.

Like, F91 could be a just-okay movie, and I'll still give it a shot because it can be knocked out in two hours.

(Several more episodes in 08th MS Team rewatch and it's holding up strong. Hooray, quality-based nostalgia!)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Belzac posted:

That line is in the original MSG as well and you should watch MS Igloo again if you think it was just Zeon shoving kids in things and telling them to die for their country. Also Missing Link. Even though the GM had a relatively high survivablity rate you have to remember that the Ball was still in use all the way up through ABQ and was a major part of the Fed forces.

A thing that needs to be reminded is that the vast, vast, vast majority of humanity died during the OYW. It was almost the extinction of mankind. The novels, the show and Origin all are pretty clear about the fact that both sides are scraping the barrel in terms of pilots at the start of the show. (In the novel you open up with them basically discussing how they're down to child soldiers and rare vets.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Gundam thunderbolts bugs me if for no reason then why some nobody like Io fleming gets such a kick rear end gundam, while amuro's still fighting in the old rx-78.

Also I don't like the the animated stuff all that much and it gets REALLY dumb in later chapters.

It's definetly in my top three.

It's bugged me forever, but I really want to know the name of the song that plays when lala and amuro fight. It's the song that comes to my mind whenever I think of newtypes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pz-30wBxao

That was actually the Moore Brotherhood's fault. The FA Gundam was supposed to be Amuro's ride at A Baoa Qu, but they used their money and influence to divert it to opening up a key supply line before the big push, reasoning that they could just hand it over to the White Devil once they were comfortably on the other side of the Thunderbolt Sector. Things... didn't exactly work out that way.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Monaghan posted:

Gundam thunderbolts bugs me if for no reason then why some nobody like Io fleming gets such a kick rear end gundam, while amuro's still fighting in the old rx-78.

Also I don't like the the animated stuff all that much and it gets REALLY dumb in later chapters.

It's definetly in my top three.

It's bugged me forever, but I really want to know the name of the song that plays when lala and amuro fight. It's the song that comes to my mind whenever I think of newtypes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pz-30wBxao

Its an instrumental version (one of many) of Beginning by Daisuke Inoue I'm pretty sure.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Belzac posted:

I feel like bringing up Igloo as a "see the federation were doing bad things too" thing is a bit ridiculous because holy poo poo that entire thing goes overboard on the "Zeon had some good and noble guys, the Federation was really bad too" stuff. Missing Link goes hard on it too, just not to the extent of showing Federation forces shooting down defenceless HLVs and their own troops while cackling evilly. Well other than the bit in Missing Link where they do shoot down an HLV with their own troops in, but it was a special circumstance.

But yeah, the original MSG points out how everybody is down to children and the occasional veteran, its just that all of Zeon's vets get sent into the White Base meatgrinder until Gihren is basically just sticking whoever yells Sieg Zeon with the most gusto into whatever they can find by the time A Baoa Qu rolls around.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Belzac posted:

you should watch MS Igloo again

actually, no one should

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYHSU_N87Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lOeFQvA-uM

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Improbable Lobster posted:

actually, no one should

But all three Igloo series are really good?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Artum posted:

Its an instrumental version (one of many) of Beginning by Daisuke Inoue I'm pretty sure.

I'm referring to the song right in the start of the video. I don't think that's beginning bit I'm not sure.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Belzac posted:

But all three Igloo series are really good?

Yeah, in opposite world.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm sorry, if you don't like the Zudah, we can't be friends.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There are exactly two good elements of igloo, one is the zudah and the other is the hidolfr fight, and they still don't make igloo worth watching in full

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
What about the Big Rang, Oggo, AMS portable missile launchers, and the Assault Guntank?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Belzac posted:

What about the Big Rang, Oggo, AMS portable missile launchers, and the Assault Guntank?

IGLOO is really really bad and I say this as somebody who has a hobby of picking Zudah in multiplayer Extreme Versus and yelling about Ghost Fighters when I play drunk.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Belzac posted:

A small handful of good scenes don't make up for literally everything else

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Zeon fanwank gets thrown around way too much but in igloos case it's completely deserved.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Belzac posted:

The episode with the missile launchers isn't as good as this single page from MS Era

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Monaghan posted:

Zeon fanwank gets thrown around way too much but in igloos case it's completely deserved.

IGLOO is really, really bad, and I say this as someone who unashamedly loves all three series. The Zudah episode in particular is hilarious in that the designated brave dead hero of the day spends his last five minutes alive waxing poetic about what a noble and gallant mobile suit the Zudah is while it's disintegrating around him because of the most idiotic design flaw in imaginary military history. Meanwhile, Gravity Front cheerfully portrays even the most marginally sympathetic federation characters as unhinged psychopaths despite supposedly being Feddie-centered.

But the show also gave us the Hildolfr and somehow made the Type-61 look cool so it gets points in my book for that alone.

3 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 7, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The type 61 solidified itself as cool in the cutscene where about thirty of them ambush a zaku

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

The type 61 solidified itself as cool in the cutscene where about thirty of them ambush a zaku

That cutscene is great because in a rare case of cutscenes matching the gameplay that's pretty much how Gihren's Ambition games play out in the early game as the Federation.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't like Gundam X and I am annoyed by these dolphins, where are the swans!?

But really this show doesn't really work for me and I feel like its really lacking in the themes I like from Gundam that even stuff like Build Fighters manages to get in.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

I don't like Gundam X and I am annoyed by these dolphins, where are the swans!?

But really this show doesn't really work for me and I feel like its really lacking in the themes I like from Gundam that even stuff like Build Fighters manages to get in.

Gundam X is pretty much a show focused entirely on how the older generation hosed every single thing up and how it's the younger generation's job to fix it. It's very Gundam except it takes the logical "wow, the adults sure are ruining everything at this rate" thing from MSG/Z/ZZ and accelerates it to its logical conclusion before the series even starts.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It also goes 'Stop getting so hung up on Newtypes, ffs'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

It also goes 'Stop getting so hung up on Newtypes, ffs'.

Not in a particularly satisfying way, mind you. 'Newtypes are no big deal' says the telepathic superweapon before saving the day with a straight-up Newtype miracle after three whole cours showcasing Newtypes' extraordinary powers. Like, you can reasonably argue that Newtype specialness has no moral component, because they're still just people beneath it all, but in a world where certain people can control world-breaking robot armies with the power of their minds, arguing that they're not special at all is a fool's errand.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Not in a particularly satisfying way, mind you. 'Newtypes are no big deal' says the telepathic superweapon before saving the day with a straight-up Newtype miracle after three whole cours showcasing Newtypes' extraordinary powers. Like, you can reasonably argue that Newtype specialness has no moral component, because they're still just people beneath it all, but in a world where certain people can control world-breaking robot armies with the power of their minds, arguing that they're not special at all is a fool's errand.

Isn't the message that people need to stop pinning their hopes on some future people fixing everything, and start working to fix stuff themselves?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't the message that people need to stop pinning their hopes on some future people fixing everything, and start working to fix stuff themselves?

The grounds for DOME's argument, though, is that Newtypes are powerless - neither a threat as the Federation believes, nor salvation as the SRA believes. He kind of comes across as right-ish for severely questionable reasons.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tenuously related at best but I always think of this when D.O.M.E. gets mentioned:

https://youtu.be/NNL8J1CM04E

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
IGLOO is a fun watch and if you hate it you probably post in GBS a lot

it is a parody of all the silly nazi superweapons hitler came up with and their utter pointlessness in the end

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I sure am glad that someone finally put Hitler in his place with a good anime parody

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

it is a parody of all the silly nazi superweapons hitler came up with and their utter pointlessness in the end

It is ugly as sin. Please dont cast epitaphs on people because they disagree with you on dogshit side stories.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

IGLOO is not ugly, and is in fact Good Looking.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

The original MSG is already mocks the idea of churning out new one-off superweapons that just waste time and resources.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I would rather watch any Igloo episode than anything from CE or AE. Characters look better than both of them too.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

Gundam X is pretty much a show focused entirely on how the older generation hosed every single thing up and how it's the younger generation's job to fix it. It's very Gundam except it takes the logical "wow, the adults sure are ruining everything at this rate" thing from MSG/Z/ZZ and accelerates it to its logical conclusion before the series even starts.

also adds a dash of "newtypes are not the most important thing in the universe" as a direct retort which i like

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Yinlock posted:

also adds a dash of "newtypes are not the most important thing in the universe" as a direct retort which i like

Yeah this is what I love about Gundam X too, because I'm pretty sick of every gundam show revolving around newtype bullshit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Belzac posted:

I would rather watch any Igloo episode than anything from CE or AE. Characters look better than both of them too.

Stargazer is somewhere between halfway decent and good, which puts it well ahead of Igloo, which is somewhere between a standard garbage fire and a tire fire.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

astray is also just silly fun, at least at first

sure let's give my robot an Aliens power-loader and have it swing a 150 meter long katana, gently caress it

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Belzac posted:

You can not-watch both. In fact we live in a world where you very rarely have to pick between two bad shows, and can instead pick a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons, and those who don't mind importing from Australia; Madman Entertainment are cleaning house on their warehouse again, with some obscene discounts just to get stuff out the door.

This includes deals on anime DVD's like;

Mobile Suit Gundam for $15AU. For the complete series.

The complete Wing Gundam for $15AU.

G No Reconguista's two fatpacks for $15 apiece.

There were fatpacks for Zeta and 00, but they're sold out already.

The Unicorn OVA's are $5 per.

You can also get A Wakening of the Trailblazer for all of $4 if you really gotta own it :v:.